270soft Forum
vcczar

Will the Lincoln Project have an impact on the election?

Will the Lincoln Project have an impact on the election?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen any Lincoln Project Ads?

• Yes
    • No
    • Just the one posted here just now.
  2. 2. Do you think the Lincoln Project will have any impact on the race?

• Yes, it will excite Trump opposition and/or convert some voters to Biden.
    • No, it will only help Trump.
    • No, it won't have any impact

The Lincoln Project, a group of Never Trump Republicans, might be the best ad makers in the business. You've probably seen some of their ads, but if you haven't, here's an example:

I've never heard of them until now.

I'm surprised to see so many saying no impact. That's pretty complete and total. "Some" voters will likely be convinced by these ads, at least to move third party. 

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Neither have I.

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

25 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I'm surprised to see so many saying no impact. That's pretty complete and total. "Some" voters will likely be convinced by these ads, at least to move third party. 

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Neither have I.

If you watch all of them, they're probably the most devestating ads ever used against a Conservative since the Anti-Goldwater ads. However, what's crazy is that it's conservative ads used against Trump. There's about 10 total ads--all well-made. In 2024, they'll probably attack Pres. Biden. 

I should also mention "no impact" because they aren't that well-known yet. If they flood the TV stations, then I'll change this. 

They have been on FoxNews, which might help.

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

If you watch all of them, they're probably the most devestating ads ever used against a Conservative since the Anti-Goldwater ads. However, what's crazy is that it's conservative ads used against Trump. There's about 10 total ads--all well-made. In 2024, they'll probably attack Pres. Biden. 

As I've mentioned before (and I think @Reagan04 has at a couple of points), Trump is not actually a Conservative. He courts them, he vapidly caters to them, and he hoodwinks them - but he is not a Conservative. Nor is he a Libertarian, War-Hawk, or Free-Trade Advocate, the other biggest factions of the post-1980 GOP. In truth, Trump is no more IDEOLOGICALLY a Republican than he is a Democrat (in fact, he used to be a Democrat, and a good friend of the Clintons, to boot, and was a member of Perot's Reform Party after that, but before becoming a Republican) - he is a vapid populist and panderer to a toxic zeitgeist, someone who plays the turmoil and anger and undirected frustration of the people like a fiddle. But calling him a "Conservative," or any other solidly-termed ideology, himself, would be giving him too much credit and legitimacy.

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

They made a fantastic ad about the Confederate Flag but this one, just released yesterday, has to be my favorite:

I also really like Meidas touch ads, this one was brutal:

• Upvote 2

Some of my Libertarian friends have been sharing the ads with me.  I expect that's largely the group this will resonate with the most.

19 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Some of my Libertarian friends have been sharing the ads with me.  I expect that's largely the group this will resonate with the most.

Hey that's me

I personally like the cowards one 😛 because my senator clearly shows that tendency! 

The Trump is Not Well add is also good:

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

As I've mentioned before (and I think @Reagan04 has at a couple of points), Trump is not actually a Conservative. He courts them, he vapidly caters to them, and he hoodwinks them - but he is not a Conservative. Nor is he a Libertarian, War-Hawk, or Free-Trade Advocate, the other biggest factions of the post-1980 GOP. In truth, Trump is no more IDEOLOGICALLY a Republican than he is a Democrat (in fact, he used to be a Democrat, and a good friend of the Clintons, to boot, and was a member of Perot's Reform Party after that, but before becoming a Republican) - he is a vapid populist and panderer to a toxic zeitgeist, someone who plays the turmoil and anger and undirected frustration of the people like a fiddle. But calling him a "Conservative," or any other solidly-termed ideology, himself, would be giving him too much credit and legitimacy.

Exactly, many seem to forget that only the selection of Mike Pence as Trump's running mate helped to woo over the social conservative wing of the GOP.  Until that point, many were very hesitant of Trump's commitment to the traditional values often espoused by the GOP.  Regardless of whether the Trump presidency ends in 2020 or 2024, I personally believe the the establishment wing of the GOP will firmly rid itself of Trump's populist dialogue when he is no longer useful to them (in power), and the party will revert to what we have traditionally understood it as since the early 2000's.  While Trump may have a "following" in the party, ie. Gaetz, Crenshaw, etc., the traditional establishment figures such as McConnell, Rubio, etc. are simply too powerful to overcome regarding control of the party, in my mind at least.

25 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Putting myself in a US libertarians shoes, I would find this a horrible election in terms of choices.  I think that these advertisements would have had a much stronger impact in 2016, where Johnson was at least a semi-legitimate candidate (Aleppo gaffe notwithstanding), but I find it hard to take the Libertarian Party of the USA seriously when Vermin Supreme has won primaries and is considered a "serious" candidate for the nomination.  I find it hard to believe that a true libertarian will run into Biden's arms as well, considering that lax gun restrictions, lower taxes and market regulations, minimal government interference in the private sector, etc. are all traditional libertarian values.  I think that most will end up staying home, or taking the traditional course of action and reluctantly backing the R candidate.

3 minutes ago, CPE said:

I think that most will end up staying home, or taking the traditional course of action and reluctantly backing the R candidate.

This would be true if the R candidate weren't an existential threat to the Republic. It would also be true if the R candidate weren't, for the first time in a looooong time, a greater threat to liberty than the D candidate.

Will Joe Biden be bad for liberty? Undoubtedly. But will he be actually capable of being President and leading a nation? Yes. And that is the choice we're facing. A man with a philosophy with which I politically disagree or a man whose philosophy seems to be "Me, Me, and my Dictator Friends."

@vcczar As a fan of Reagan this one got me

and this was just masterful

If I had George Soros money or Bill Gates money, I'd be monopolizing the TV advertising spaces with these ads in every state. People wouldn't be able to watch TV without their commercial breaks being flooded with these ads. I'd also flood social media ads. Podcast ads. Etc. Basically any place where it is legal to place an add. 

9 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

This would be true if the R candidate weren't an existential threat to the Republic. It would also be true if the R candidate weren't, for the first time in a looooong time, a greater threat to liberty than the D candidate.

Will Joe Biden be bad for liberty? Undoubtedly. But will he be actually capable of being President and leading a nation? Yes. And that is the choice we're facing. A man with a philosophy with which I politically disagree or a man whose philosophy seems to be "Me, Me, and my Dictator Friends."

I have actually heard of some traditional Labour voters turning Tory in the most recent general election in the UK due to this same reason, quite a few were dissatisfied with Corbyn's leadership of the party.  I think it is officially called "accelerationist theory" or something along those lines.  Time will tell if a similar result will occur in the US.

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

If I had George Soros money or Bill Gates money, I'd be monopolizing the TV advertising spaces with these ads in every state. People wouldn't be able to watch TV without their commercial breaks being flooded with these ads. I'd also flood social media ads. Podcast ads. Etc. Basically any place where it is legal to place an add. 

Do you think that this has the opportunity to backfire, like when you eat too much food at once and end up nauseated from having too much (weird analogy I know)?  It almost seems that the current DNC strategy is the exact opposite, basically hide Biden away and let Trump be the cause of his own potential defeat.

1 minute ago, CPE said:

I have actually heard of some traditional Labour voters turning Tory in the most recent general election in the UK due to this same reason, quite a few were dissatisfied with Corbyn's leadership of the party.  I think it is officially called "accelerationist theory" or something along those lines.  Time will tell if a similar result will occur in the US.

Do you think that this has the opportunity to backfire, like when you eat too much food at once and end up nauseated from having too much (weird analogy I know)?  It almost seems that the current DNC strategy is the exact opposite, basically hide Biden away and let Trump be the cause of his own potential defeat.

Anything is possible, but I think it would work, so long as new material is consistently added. I think finding ads that are very local specific would be great. Ones that show that he's been worse for the communities than Obama was, for whatever reason. 

I wonder if @admin_270 has seen any of the Lincoln Project ads.

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

If you watch all of them, they're probably the most devestating ads ever used against a Conservative since the Anti-Goldwater ads. However, what's crazy is that it's conservative ads used against Trump. There's about 10 total ads--all well-made.

I understand their criticism about Trump's handling of China and I disagreed with it very much as well. The trade war was stupid and his praise of Xi was disturbing, but at least Trump calls out the Chinese government now for their lack of transparency and covering up of the pandemic. But do these guys from the LP really believe Biden will get America a better relationship with China? America won't get any benefits here. China will be the country which holds America hostage for the actions of the Trump presidency. Democrats won't step up to them, because they will not want to piss them off and they will try to be 'better' and more social than Trump. China will be allowed to do whatever they want. I would not be inclined to risk this.

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

In 2024, they'll probably attack Pres. Biden. 

Of course they will, so that's even more concerning to call for supporting a candidate, they themselves disagree from the very day he assumes office...

Let's wait until Biden appoints a bunch of federal judges and a Supreme Court justice in the mold of AOC or Elizabeth Warren. Someone like California State Supreme Court justice Goodwin Liu, who's young, charismatic and of an ethnic minority, but was too liberal to get named to the US Court of Appeals during the Obama presidency... I guess the LP guys will regret their vote within seconds, but it will be too late. 

Imagine the Democratic president would be the bad one and left-wing people said "Let's support the R, getting rid of the president is more important now." And after winning, the GOP president appoints judges like Alito or Thomas. Wouldn't most regret their naïve support with handsight? 

12 hours ago, CPE said:

Regardless of whether the Trump presidency ends in 2020 or 2024, I personally believe the the establishment wing of the GOP will firmly rid itself of Trump's populist dialogue when he is no longer useful to them (in power), and the party will revert to what we have traditionally understood it as since the early 2000's.

I agree on this very much, therefore I am not as concerned as some are.

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

I like Gates very much, I am agnostic when it comes to Soros. Additionally Soros is not as present for me as other billionaires are. Anyway, if I had the money I'd do exactly the same for the other cause. Perhaps it's better we don't because otherwise people couldn't escape politics anymore. 

5 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I understand their criticism about Trump's handling of China and I disagreed with it very much as well. The trade war was stupid and his praise of Xi was disturbing, but at least Trump calls out the Chinese government now for their lack of transparency and covering up of the pandemic. But do these guys from the LP really believe Biden will get America a better relationship with China? America won't get any benefits here. China will be the country which holds America hostage for the actions of the Trump presidency. Democrats won't step up to them, because they will not want to piss them off and they will try to be 'better' and more social than Trump. China will be allowed to do whatever they want. I would not be inclined to risk this.

Very much doubt this - but do you know how hard the Midwest has gotten hit because of this idiotic trade war? Prices were bad before, and they've only sunk further. Farmers are in a very bad place right now. At least the small and medium scale ones. The trade war was unwinnable - there were other ways to do it besides provoking a fight on agriculture that everyone knew was coming. Combine that with letting the EPA lower amounts of ethanol needed for gas - corn and soybeans have gotten a one-two punch.

29 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:
Very much doubt this - but do you know how hard the Midwest has gotten hit because of this idiotic trade war? Prices were bad before, and they've only sunk further. Farmers are in a very bad place right now. At least the small and medium scale ones. The trade war was unwinnable - there were other ways to do it besides provoking a fight on agriculture that everyone knew was coming. Combine that with letting the EPA lower amounts of ethanol needed for gas - corn and soybeans have gotten a one-two punch.

Yeah I never agreed with Trump on that trade war. It was idiotic and I had never agreed on it, but I also doubt Democrats are the answer to solve the problem for farmers. 

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Yeah I never agreed with Trump on that trade war. It was idiotic and I had never agreed on it, but I also doubt Democrats are the answer to solve the problem for farmers. 

Then who? Trump has shown he can’t do it. If Biden is even a little better that’s infinitely better than we have now - I know for a fact he wouldn’t waive ethanol standards which wouldn’t close those refineries and get rid of jobs in the Midwest. So there’s one way he’d be better.

I'm kind of surprised @jvikings1 had never seen the Lincoln Project ads. 

3 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Then who? Trump has shown he can’t do it. If Biden is even a little better that’s infinitely better than we have now - I know for a fact he wouldn’t waive ethanol standards which wouldn’t close those refineries and get rid of jobs in the Midwest. So there’s one way he’d be better.

I don't know. I'd hold my nose, vote for Trump and hope the 2nd term will be less damaging than the first one.