270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

If Joe Biden Pledges to Serve One Term Poll

If Joe Biden Pledges to Serve One Term Poll  

14 members have voted

1. 1. If Joe Biden pledges to serve only one-term, he will likely win more votes from the following groups...

• Sanders supporters that are currently not supporting Biden and considering Green or not voting
    • Sanders-Warren wing voters that are undecided
    • Left-leaning independents that are not currently supporting Biden
    • Centrist independents that are not currently supporting a candidate
    • Right-leaning independents that are not currently supporting a candidate
    • Never Trump Republicans that are not currently supporting Biden
    • Voters currently supporting Trump that don't necessarily like Trump
    • Libertarian voters that are conflicted on whether to support the Libertarian Party, vote for Trump, or vote Biden.
    • Voters currently supporting the Libertarian Party
    • Voters currently supporting the Green Party
    • Pledging one-term will not help Biden win support from anyone; It is a losing strategy.
    • Even with the groups that I checked above, this strategy will actually cost him votes of those currently supporting him.
  2. 2. If Trump pledged to overturn term limits at the GOP Convention, which of the following is likely to occur?

• His base will be even more energetic
    • His base support will collapse
    • His overall approval and support nationally would collapse
    • His overall approval and support nationally would rise
    • There would be no change in support or non-support.
  3. 3. Do you think it would be wise for Biden to promise to serve only one-term?

• Yes, it would show that electing him would be for a cause greater than himself.
    • Yes, as it is a good strategy, and he can always break his promise if his approval is really high by mid-terms.
    • No, because it is a bad strategy, and will just bring more questions regarding his age and/or fitness for office.

new poll

This is an interesting question -- I actually think it would help him win the election, but would hurt his ability to govern as he'd be a "lame duck" right out of the gate.  I'd advise that he keep quiet about it and just let people assume that Biden will run for the number of terms that each individual voter hopes he will run for.

I think it would be admirable, he would be making himself a "bridge" rather than knowing he will be too old in his second term anyways. Also I never thought about Trump overturning term limits until now, that is a really realistic thing he would bring up at the convention. 

Just now, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I think it would be admirable, he would be making himself a "bridge" rather than knowing he will be too old in his second term anyways. Also I never thought about Trump overturning term limits until now, that is a really realistic thing he would bring up at the convention. 

He can bring it up, but it would take a constitutional amendment.  There's a 0% chance of that happening.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

new poll

Has any U.S. President, or any unsuccessful candidate for the office, ever actually made such a pledge. I mean, as far as I know, Polk made his decision not to run again at the END of his term, and Arthur, I believe, but could be wrong, didn't immediately declare he wouldn't run for re-election after acceding to the White House after Garfield's assassination, but (again, I believe) declared it a bit later.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Has any U.S. President, or any unsuccessful candidate for the office, ever actually made such a pledge. I mean, as far as I know, Polk made his decision not to run again at the END of his term, and Arthur, I believe, but could be wrong, didn't immediately declare he wouldn't run for re-election after acceding to the White House after Garfield's assassination, but (again, I believe) declared it a bit later.

The following did or might have done so: 

• William Henry Harrison (suggested that he would but did not say he would)
  • James K Polk
  • James Buchanan
  • Rutherford B Hayes (didn't want to, but was bound to do so as a compromise)

There was a candidate later that said he would do so, but I am drawing a blank on who it was. I want to say it was in response to FDR. 

And let me add that in all of these cases, the pledge was actually part of a compromise, except with Harrison, which was based on a reaction to Jackson's "tyranny"

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

James K Polk is offered as the golden example.  He promised to do six things if elected:  acquire Oregon, California, and New Mexico territories, win the Texas border dispute, lower tariff rates, establish a new federal depository system, strengthen the executive office -- and retire after one term.

He did all of those, including retire, and then promptly dropped dead.

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

James K Polk is offered as the golden example.  He promised to do six things if elected:  acquire Oregon, California, and New Mexico territories, win the Texas border dispute, lower tariff rates, establish a new federal depository system, strengthen the executive office -- and retire after one term.

I still think Henry Clay would have been a much better U.S. President to be elected in 1844, myself... :P

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

Not from overwork. He died of a cholera outbreak while visitng New Orleans. However, he probably had a pre-existing condition---weak health for someone of his age. 

"Voters" currently supporting Trump that don't necessarily like Trump.

I guess I found my group by the way!

17 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

"Voters" currently supporting Trump that don't necessarily like Trump.

I guess I found my group by the way!

The U.S. solid two-party system is truly a high crime and betrayal against it's voters. When will the DNC, RNC, FEC, and main media American media outlets and big donors and special interest groups be charged and jailed for electoral malfeasance and interference on NUMEROUS counts?

• Haha 1