270soft Forum
vcczar

Mitch McConnell praises Joe Biden

I'm reading a book entitled The Hardest Job in the World, which is about the presidency. In it, Mitch McConnell describes visiting Obama in the oval office as similar to visiting a principal in his office. Obama would lecture McConnell and Republicans on why they were wrong. Very little progress was made in Congress for Obama. The book says JFK had the same issue. Both Obama and JFK were dynamic speakers, but both were introverted and weren't good at negotiating with Congress persons. 

After McConnell responds to Obama as negotiator, the book then quotes McConnell on Joe Biden, "Joe...made no effort to convince me that I was wrong, or that I held an incorrect view of the world. He took my politics as given, and I did the same, which was what allowed us to successfully negotiate."

McConnell does mention that Obama is funny and smart, but that he doesn't know how to talk to politicians basically. 

Obama is compared to JFK in this weakness. Biden is compared to LBJ in this as a strength. 

Both Obama and JFK had relatively few legislative successes, probably because of this weakness. Their accomplishments and success were geared more to leadership, rhetoric, charisma, communication, Foreign Affairs, executive policy and not so much towards legislative results (JFK had shockingly few legislative results).

Could the above McConnell quote clue us in on a potentially successful Biden presidency, legislatively speaking?

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Both Obama and JFK had relatively few legislative successes,

And, notably, Obama's flagship legislative success, the Affordable Care Act, was shepherded and passed pretty much singlehandedly by Joe Biden. Without Biden's congressional stewardship, there is no way Obama would have been able to get Obamacare through Congress.

This is another testament to Biden's strength and Obama's weakness as McConnell outlines and you point out. 

Of course, the parallels between the President/Vice President in JFK and LBJ and Obama and Biden and the reasons why they were chosen and the similarities between their dynamics should not be overlooked when this topic is discussed or considered.

Very interesting analysis.

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

"Joe...made no effort to convince me that I was wrong, or that I held an incorrect view of the world. He took my politics as given, and I did the same, which was what allowed us to successfully negotiate."

Great!

I think Biden definitely has legislative skills that would help him as President. He doesn't have leftist ideological purity and he's not a polarizer - he has a centrism and pragmatism that could make for effective politics even if Dems don't control the Senate.

4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I think Biden definitely has legislative skills that would help him as President. He doesn't have leftist ideological purity and he's not a polarizer - he has a centrism and pragmatism that could make for effective politics even if Dems don't control the Senate.

13 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Great!

15 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

And, notably, Obama's flagship legislative success, the Affordable Care Act, was shepherded and passed pretty much singlehandedly by Joe Biden. Without Biden's congressional stewardship, there is no way Obama would have been able to get Obamacare through Congress.

This is another testament to Biden's strength and Obama's weakness as McConnell outlines and you point out. 

Of course, the parallels between the President/Vice President in JFK and LBJ and Obama and Biden and the reasons why they were chosen and the similarities between their dynamics should not be overlooked when this topic is discussed or considered.

Very interesting analysis.

17 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'm reading a book entitled The Hardest Job in the World, which is about the presidency. In it, Mitch McConnell describes visiting Obama in the oval office as similar to visiting a principal in his office. Obama would lecture McConnell and Republicans on why they were wrong. Very little progress was made in Congress for Obama. The book says JFK had the same issue. Both Obama and JFK were dynamic speakers, but both were introverted and weren't good at negotiating with Congress persons. 

After McConnell responds to Obama as negotiator, the book then quotes McConnell on Joe Biden, "Joe...made no effort to convince me that I was wrong, or that I held an incorrect view of the world. He took my politics as given, and I did the same, which was what allowed us to successfully negotiate."

McConnell does mention that Obama is funny and smart, but that he doesn't know how to talk to politicians basically. 

Obama is compared to JFK in this weakness. Biden is compared to LBJ in this as a strength. 

Both Obama and JFK had relatively few legislative successes, probably because of this weakness. Their accomplishments and success were geared more to leadership, rhetoric, charisma, communication, Foreign Affairs, executive policy and not so much towards legislative results (JFK had shockingly few legislative results).

Could the above McConnell quote clue us in on a potentially successful Biden presidency, legislatively speaking?

But McConnell is not nearly so centrist and pragmatic. He tends to view the legislative process as a "sports game," - where scoring goals is more important than passing bills needed to run the nation or help the people, or responsibly manage taxpayers' money. I'd even his attitude goes so far as to be in outright betrayal of the mandate of his position.

9 hours ago, Patine said:

But McConnell is not nearly so centrist and pragmatic. He tends to view the legislative process as a "sports game," - where scoring goals is more important than passing bills needed to run the nation or help the people, or responsibly manage taxpayers' money. I'd even his attitude goes so far as to be in outright betrayal of the mandate of his position.

Th following skit comes to my mind