Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

"Are You Better Off Than You Were 4 Years Ago?" Poll

"Are You Better Off Than You Were 4 Years Ago?" Poll  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. In four months--on Election Day--, do you think the majority of Americans will be able to say that they are better off than they were four years ago?

  2. 2. Which of the following presidents made American better off compared to their predecessor? Which of these is true?

    • Americans were better off after 4 years with Trump than with Obama's last four years.
    • Americans were better off after 4 years with Obama than with Bush II's last four years.
    • Americans were better off after 4 years with Bush II than with Clinton's last four years.
    • Americans were better off after 4 years with Clinton than with Bush I's last four years.
    • Americans were better off after 4 years with Bush I than with Reagan's last four years.
    • Americans were better off after 4 years with Reagan than with Carter's last four years.
    • Each president was worse for American's than their predecessor.
      0
  3. 3. Will Pres. Biden be a better president than Trump? i.e. Will America be better off in four years than they are now?

  4. 4. What are the chances that Trump wins reelection based on what you think will happen between now and election day?

    • Guaranteed 10 out of 10
      0
    • About 9 out of 10
      0
    • About 8 out of 10
      0
    • About 7 out of 10
      0
    • About 6 out of 10 (lean Trump)
    • About 5 out of 10 (total tossup)
    • About 4 out of 10 (lean Biden)
    • About 3 out of 10
    • About 2 out of 10
    • About 1 out of 10
      0
    • Guaranteed defeat 0 out of 10
      0
  5. 5. What is your opinion of 3rd Parties? Click all that are true.

    • It should be encouraged in this election, so as to oe day become a major party or influence the major parties.
    • While I prefer the 3rd parties to the major parties, I think anyone voting 3rd party is naively helping Trump.
    • While I prefer the 3rd parties to the major parties, I think anyone voting 3rd party is naively helping Biden.
      0
    • Having little impact on the election and are wasting their time and their vote so long as we have an electoral college and a single-round voting system.
    • Are close to traitors for screwing up the election results, especially in battleground states.
    • I am okay with it, and I might support them, but they'll likely never be major parties and they may never have much of an influence.
    • 3rd parties should be eliminated in the general election unless they are polling a certain significant % within a month of the election.
    • I hope both major parties collapse and we end up with like 3 or 4 major parties, even if it means no one ever gets 270 EVs and the House decides every election.
    • I have a positive view of the 3rd parties in theory, but I have a negative view of them in practice.
    • Jill Stein cost Hillary Clinton the election.
    • Gary Johnson cost Hillary Clinton the election.
    • Ralph Nader cost Al Gore the election.
    • Ross Perot cost GHW Bush the election.
    • John Anderson cost Jimmy Carter the election.
    • If you selected that any of these above people cost a nominee the election, were we better off with the winner than we were with the losing nominee?
    • Would the US be better off with a parliamentary system like in Canada or the UK, which might allow 3rd parties more influence?
    • The Green Party will one day be a major party.
    • The Libertarian Party will one day be a major party.
    • Third Parties should evolve and compromise in order to expand their umbella and excite more registered voters outside of their purists base, otherwise they'll never have a chance at 270 EVs.
    • Third Parties would destroy the major parties if the Electoral College were abolished.
    • Third Parties would destroy the major parties if the Electoral College were abolished and if there was a multi-round or multi-rank voting system.
    • Third Parties would destroy the major parties if they got equal air time and debate participation with the major parties.
    • I will see a 3rd party president in my lifetime.
    • Other regarding 3rd parties.


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, CPE said:

Please do not feel as if I am trying to incite or provoke a controversial argument with my commentary, but how does your sexual orientation, race, and sex factor in when considering whether you, personally, are "better off" when compared to four years ago (I despise such vague terminology, "better off" can potentially refer to many different individual factors, such as health, financial status, personal-life, etc.)  Honestly, I disdain the identity politics espoused by the left and right wing parties in most Western countries; for me, I view it as disingenuous at best to basically divide an electorate up into the lowest common denominator in terms of demographics.  Surely you must realize that there are LGBT individuals, minorities, and women that would identify as "better off" compared to four years ago, and some may even support President Trump, correct?  Conversely, there are sure to be heterosexual white men who would proclaim that they are not "better off", right?  Life is a lot more nuanced and complex than just dividing people into groups based off of demographics.  Once again, I am not trying to incite an argument or attack your viewpoint, just offering my thoughts and opinion.

You cut off the rest of my statement, which also acknowledged that I am not just a straight white male (which already puts me in a more beneficial position), but also one who already had money.  

Of course there are poor straight white men, and rich other demographics.  I was specifically stating that I am a straight white man with money.  (I do not consider myself to be "rich", but I am certainly comfortable financially).

Straight white men with money have had little to fear personally from Donald Trump -- instead, I fear for my friends and loved ones who are not these things, as Donald Trump demonizes them endlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CPE said:

Please do not feel as if I am trying to incite or provoke a controversial argument with my commentary, but how does your sexual orientation, race, and sex factor in when considering whether you, personally, are "better off" when compared to four years ago (I despise such vague terminology, "better off" can potentially refer to many different individual factors, such as health, financial status, personal-life, etc.)  Honestly, I disdain the identity politics espoused by the left and right wing parties in most Western countries; for me, I view it as disingenuous at best to basically divide an electorate up into the lowest common denominator in terms of demographics.  Surely you must realize that there are LGBT individuals, minorities, and women that would identify as "better off" compared to four years ago, and some may even support President Trump, correct?  Conversely, there are sure to be heterosexual white men who would proclaim that they are not "better off", right?  Life is a lot more nuanced and complex than just dividing people into groups based off of demographics.  Once again, I am not trying to incite an argument or attack your viewpoint, just offering my thoughts and opinion.

 

You're preaching to the choir me, as me, myself, as I believe that making a nation and society better, and truly advancing it meaningfully and with any lasting and real effect, must be done holistically, as long as people are thought for their demographics as a priority, bigotry will always exist - and bigotry is, unfortunately, regardless of what many say today, not just straight White men against other types of people - ANYONE can be a bigot against ANYONE whose different. Modern left- and right-wing identity politics are often also a smokescreen to cover the fact that most First World Governments have not, cannot, or will not fix or address the other meaningful and crippling their societies, governance, economics, crime issues, and foreign policy. But, this line of thought is practically blasphemous to point out to most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Trump said on the Access Hollywood tape was obviously a crude joke not intended for public consumption.  I wouldn't take it as evidence of anything but Trump being crass and boorish.  I'd guess every president has said similarly awful things in private.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pilight said:

What Trump said on the Access Hollywood tape was obviously a crude joke not intended for public consumption.  I wouldn't take it as evidence of anything but Trump being crass and boorish.  I'd guess every president has said similarly awful things in private.

That would be easier to believe if the rest of him weren't the Donald Trump we know now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

You cut off the rest of my statement, which also acknowledged that I am not just a straight white male (which already puts me in a more beneficial position), but also one who already had money.  

Of course there are poor straight white men, and rich other demographics.  I was specifically stating that I am a straight white man with money.  (I do not consider myself to be "rich", but I am certainly comfortable financially).

Straight white men with money have had little to fear personally from Donald Trump -- instead, I fear for my friends and loved ones who are not these things.

Understandable.  I did not cut the rest off out of any malicious intent, I just wanted to highlight the part that I was referring to in particular.  In mind, it is just more of a "yes or no" kind of question really.

I travel to the United States fairly frequently to vacation when I get tired of living on a rock, and while I love to spend time there, I honestly thank God that I do not live over there at times.  It baffles me how "stuck in the past", if you will, that the USA can be on topics such as racial issues.  Throughout the Caribbean region, there have been many white and black men and women involved in the national independence movements and other issues associated with decolonization.  An idiot or two trying to stir up a problem occasionally comes along, but I feel as if the region is generally ahead of the US when it comes to living in peace and working towards building/maintaining a functional society.  It probably helps that most countries here are culturally homogeneous, with whites typically making up minority populations if they exist.  Even from the areas where there is much more racial diversity, both races typically identify as one "culture" if you will.  Much more peaceable  and easier to get along.

I honestly believe that the media is your biggest problem over there; sensationalism is threatening to undo decades of racial healing and progress.  I find it difficult to watch any American news network to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CPE said:

Understandable.  I did not cut the rest off out of any malicious intent, I just wanted to highlight the part that I was referring to in particular.  In mind, it is just more of a "yes or no" kind of question really.

I travel to the United States fairly frequently to vacation when I get tired of living on a rock, and while I love to spend time there, I honestly thank God that I do not live over there at times.  It baffles me how "stuck in the past", if you will, that the USA can be on topics such as racial issues.  Throughout the Caribbean region, there have been many white and black men and women involved in the national independence movements and other issues associated with decolonization.  An idiot or two trying to stir up a problem occasionally comes along, but I feel as if the region is generally ahead of the US when it comes to living in peace and working towards building/maintaining a functional society.  It probably helps that most countries here are culturally homogeneous, with whites typically making up minority populations if they exist.  Even from the areas where there is much more racial diversity, both races typically identify as one "culture" if you will.  Much more peaceable  and easier to get along.

I honestly believe that the media is your biggest problem over there; sensationalism is threatening to undo decades of racial healing and progress.  I find it difficult to watch any American news network to be honest.

To be fair, crime and poverty are, I believe, two of the Caribbean's biggest issue that really need work - and it seems Caribbean politicians like Bruce Golding and others don't seem to be willing, or able, to much about these crippling national issues. For one year's list of crime capitals in the very late '90's, early 2000's, I believe, Kingston had the most firearms-related homicides of any city in the world - despite civilian ownership of firearms being illegal in Jamaica - on paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Patine said:

You're preaching to the choir me, as me, myself, as I believe that making a nation and society better, and truly advancing it meaningfully and with any lasting and real effect, must be done holistically, as long as people are thought for their demographics as a priority, bigotry will always exist - and bigotry is, unfortunately, regardless of what many say today, not just straight White men against other types of people - ANYONE can be a bigot against ANYONE whose different. Modern left- and right-wing identity politics are often also a smokescreen to cover the fact that most First World Governments have not, cannot, or will not fix or address the other meaningful and crippling their societies, governance, economics, crime issues, and foreign policy. But, this line of thought is practically blasphemous to point out to most.

I know what you mean about being practically blasphemous lol.  I find it amazing how many people do not realize that both sides of the political spectrum rely largely on fearmongering and sensationalism to drive voter turnout, they just have different boogeymen they use to inspire fear is all.

Agreed on the point about racism not only being straight white men vs. everyone else.  South Africa, the aftermath of Rhodesia, or even the recent banning of black people in mainland Chinese McDonalds should be more than enough proof than it is not only a one way street in that regard.  Discrimination exists among nationals of the Balkan nations, within Brazil, among the nations of Southeast Asia, and many other parts of the world.  Even in the Caribbean, certain nationalities hold nothing but contempt and hostility for each other.  It is easier to understand why this perception exists though when considering how few Americans generally travel abroad (in comparison to their total population) and become familiar with other parts of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Patine said:

To be fair, crime and poverty are, I believe, two of the Caribbean's biggest issue that really need work - and it seems Caribbean politicians like Bruce Golding and others don't seem to be willing, or able, to much about these crippling national issues. For one year's list of crime capitals in the very late '90's, early 2000's, I believe, Kingston had the most firearms-related homicides of any city in the world - despite civilian ownership of firearms being illegal in Jamaica - on paper.

You may think that this is crazy, but the Jamaican dollar at one point was a stronger currency than the US Dollar (specifically referring to the fact that you could get 1 US dollar for less than 1 Jamaican dollar.  Many in the region blame the IMF for Jamaica's fiscal woes in particular, it is really sad how much things have changed since those times.

Yes, crime is a major factor depending on what part of the region that you live in.  The biggest problem that the region faces in all honesty is gentrification.  In many areas, there is a sharp divide between the "haves" and "have-nots".  The middle-classes in many Caribbean countries were growing before the '08 Recession, but given the regions heavy dependence on tourism in general, the economic fallout really hurt them.  Some areas had to implement harsh austerity measures, while others have borrowed themselves into unrepayable debt.  It was a major catalyst for increased Chinese involvement in the region, as they often promise lenient loan terms, lavish gifts, and political influence on the international scale much to the ire of the USA.

Certain areas you know to avoid in all honesty, just have to keep a sharp head on at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Patine said:

and it seems Caribbean politicians like Bruce Golding and others don't seem to be willing, or able, to much about these crippling national issues.

Forgot to address this point in particular, as you are onto something very important.

Left and right politics are not as sharply divided in some areas as they are in the US/Canada/etc.  The king of Caribbean politics is the handout game, "what can you do for me".  As such, politicians from all major parties do not mind their constituents condition for the most part as it keeps them voting for the same old false promises and hopes of a better life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Patine said:

That would be easier to believe if the rest of him weren't the Donald Trump we know now...

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

that he doesn't even wait to see?

Doesn't even wait to what? That's why the phrase is ambiguous. Doesn't even wait ... for consent? Maybe. Doesn't even wait ... until after their first meeting? Could be. Doesn't even wait ... for a date? Perhaps. I don't know, *and neither do you*.

Remember, the woman Billy Bush and him are talking about is Arianne Zucker, a high-status, wealthy woman. Do you think those sorts of women are push-overs, hapless victims who let other celebrities run all over them? I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

Who is "You"?

Sounds to me like he's talking in general. "When someone is a star ..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pilight said:

What Trump said on the Access Hollywood tape was obviously a crude joke not intended for public consumption.  I wouldn't take it as evidence of anything but Trump being crass and boorish.  I'd guess every president has said similarly awful things in private.

Right. Seems more plausible to me than "Trump just confessed to sexually assaulting every beautiful woman he meets right away!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

 

Sounds to me like he's talking in general. "When someone is a star ..."

Ok. 
 

And how did he learn that?

 

Why is he so sure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

 

Remember, the woman Billy Bush and him are talking about is Arianne Zucker, a high-status, wealthy woman. Do you think those sorts of women are push-overs, hapless victims who let other celebrities run all over them? I doubt it.

You don’t think mildly famous women are sexually assaulted by men in power?

You could start your education by googling “Harvey Weinstein”, and then move on to the MeToo movement.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

And how did he learn that?

Because he's spent a lot of time around celebrities? Because he's exaggerating? Because he's making a crude joke?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if similar or worse tapes emerge in 2020. I would in a way be surprised if there aren't, as I am sure media companies have scoured their archives looking for something in the intervening 4 years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...