270soft Forum

10 Questions: A President Questionnaire

I'm just curious how people respond to these questions: 

1. Which president is the best president of your lifetime? Why?
  2. Which president is the worst president of your lifetime? Why?
  3. Who do you think is the best president before you were born? Why?
  4. Who do you think is the worst president before you were born? Why?
  5. Who is the most overrated president? Why?
  6. Who is the most underrated president? Why?
  7. Who is your favorite nominee that has ever lost a race for president? Why?
  8. Who is your favorite candidate that has ever lose a race to be party nominee? Why?
  9. What current politician do you hope runs in 2024 or 2028? Why?
  10. Who is your favorite international politician of your lifetime? Why? 

Note: International forum users can respond to this in regards to their own country, exchanging the titles for the relevant titles in their country. 

@vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight 

1. Barack Obama. There is a plenty to like and plenty to dislike about Obama but I was born in 1998 so I don't have much to go by. When you compare not only the policies, but the integrity and charisma that Obama brought to the office, there's no doubt he is the best. 
  2. Trump. Both Bush and Trump were awful, and it's really hard to pick, but ultimately the temperament and corruption in Trump and his administration is just a disgrace to the country in ways that beat out Bush. 
  3. FDR. I've always admired FDR ever since I was in elementary school, learning about all the different policies he had and how many of them have had an everlasting effect and are still in place today. 
  4. Andrew Jackson. I don't think much needs to be said on what makes him such a terrible President. 
  5. Ronald Reagan. I guess it will really depend on who you talk to and what you read, but he is definitely usually on the list of most popular Presidents with a very high approval rating. I don't find that to be the case. Reaganomics was a failure. 
  6. Richard Nixon. Believe it or not. Obviously, watergate was a disaster and there were a lot of other bad things he did too. But I feel that many of his accomplishments go underappreciated. Created the EPA, Clean Air Act, Endangered Species Act, expanded social security and medicare, and was an advocate for universal healthcare. All very important things that are still around and crucial today. 
  7. Not sure about this, I guess maybe McGovern. His strong opposition to the Vietnam war is admirable for sure. 
  8. Bernie Sanders. I'll be honest, aside from recent elections I don't know much about candidates who ran for the nomination and didn't get it, but Bernie is the reason I got interested in politics. Back in 2015 when I first heard his name he was just some random old guy running for president, so I read up on his policies and what he would fight for, and was hooked ever since. 
  9. AOC will make a great President someday. Not in 2024 but maybe 2028. I'd like to see her primary Schumer in 2022 and if successful, could set up a run for President in 2028. In 2024 assuming Biden doesn't win or doesn't run for re-election, Julian Castro, KIrsten Gillibrand, and Jeff Merkley are some people I would like to see run. Any of them would make a good president. 
  10. I'll be honest that I am not familiar with a whole lot of international politicians that I like, but I have read a lot of great things about the current New Zealand prime minister, so I'll go with her. 
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  1. Barack Obama, mainly because he handled Domestic crises well without creating a divide that did not previously exist.
  2. Donald Trump, mainly for creating new divides and abusing his power in office.
  3. Eisenhower, because he mastered the art of moving the country at a realistic pace while keeping it united.
  4. Andrew Johnson, because he absolutely stunted the future of the country with his actions.
  5. FDR, mainly because it is the amount of history taught and the circumstances around him that make him more popular rather than he himself personally.
  6. Carter, mainly because he had quite a few achievements that were overshadowed by the problems that he was stuck with.
  7. Henry Clay, because I feel he would have implemented a strong procedural attitude to the Executive that might have instilled strong precedents for Executive procedure.
  8. John Kasich, because I really wanted to see a center-right individual have a shot at promoting ideas that today often go ignored with strong rhetoric.
  9. I hope to see someone like Amy Klobuchar or Pete Buttigieg run for President, because I feel they are both strong talents that could seriously do good for this country.
  10. Probably Emmanuel Macron, mainly because he represents a type of leadership that, given the circumstances of his country, have been strong and realistic.
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, vcczar said:

1. Which president is the best president of your lifetime? Why?Obama.
  2. Which president is the worst president of your lifetime? Why?Trump.
  3. Who do you think is the best president before you were born? Why?FDR
  4. Who do you think is the worst president before you were born? Why?Andrew Johnson.
  5. Who is the most overrated president? Why?Reagan
  6. Who is the most underrated president? Why?Carter
  7. Who is your favorite nominee that has ever lost a race for president? Why?George McGovern  
  8. Who is your favorite candidate that has ever lose a race to be party nominee? Why?Bernie Sanders
  9. What current politician do you hope runs in 2024 or 2028? Why?AOC and Pete Buttigieg are two people i would love to see as future Presidents.
  10. Who is your favorite international politician of your lifetime? Why?former Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn

Note: International forum users can respond to this in regards to their own country, exchanging the titles for the relevant titles in their country. 

@vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight 

• Thanks 1
  1. Which president is the best president of your lifetime? Obama Why? He expanded protection for sexual, and gender minorities, he helped pass the Credit CARD Act, and though I'm no fan of some of the ACA, the ban denying coverage due to pre-existing conditions is something I'm all for.
  2. Which president is the worst president of your lifetime? Bush Jr. Why? Two wars, and he deregulated the economy, which led to the Great Recession, which led to the rise of right leaning populism seen in the Tea Party movement, which gave us Trump.
  3. Who do you think is the best president before you were born? FDR Why? From the FDIC Social Security, his New Deal programs continue to affect America, for the better, in my opinion.
  4. Who do you think is the worst president before you were born? Andrew Jackson Why? Indian Removal Act. Need I say more?
  5. Who is the most overrated president? Reagan Why? Voodoo Economics, Iran-Contra, Funding Third World Death Squads, Star Wars, the list goes on.
  6. Who is the most underrated president? LBJ Why? The Vietnam War was awful, but in my opinion, his Great Society overshadows it.
  7. Who is your favorite nominee that has ever lost a race for president? George McGovern Why? 
  8. Who is your favorite candidate that has ever lose a race to be party nominee? Bernie Sanders Why? I can't deny the massive influence Bernie's 2016 run had on my politics, nor would I want to.
  9. What current politician do you hope runs in 2024 or 2028? Jeff Merkley Why? He reminds me of Bernie Sanders, in many ways, both stalwart progressives from deep blue states.
  10. Who is your favorite international politician of your lifetime? Why? Would Tony Benn count? He left electoral politics in the 90s but only died in 2014, technically putting him in my lifetime. If not him, then probably Jean-Luc Melenchon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My answers will be long to provide context. Sorry for my English btw. I hope you read this. 

1. This question is hard to answer because almost all Presidents in my lifetime has been mired in Controversy. Admittedly, you know close to nothing about my Country. But I'll have to pick the Liberal Party Nominee and 15th President Benigno Aquino. Yes, his cabinet was severely inadequate during the Super typhoon, during the Zamboanga Siege and the SAF44 ambush. But I attribute it to his Elitism (being son of a President and a Senator). His elitism led him to appoint a fellow son of a President and an Elite for the Interior Department, which ultimately led to the lackluster response to the aforementioned disasters. But overall, he steered the Country's Economy towards prosperity. We feel his policies and contribution until now. And he was OPEN to many Leftist points of view, that is very unpopular in a Conservative Country. And he introduced K to 12, which I personally think introduces many opportunities for the youth. 

2. The current President, Rodrigo Duterte. Blatant disregard for Human Rights. State sanctioned Murder of Drug Addicts. Lack of Respect to the Church (ironically I'm an atheist, and this bothers me), giving a platform for his INCOMPETENT lackeys (his Executive Secretary and his Police Chief of both when he was Mayor and President became Utterly Useless lapdog Senators), his Covid Response, his State Sanctioned murder of Activists and Leftist Leaders (I have a "peasant" leader friend who died), and worse of all his LOVE of China. His love of China led to many deaths. Despite clamor to ban Chinese Travel on JANUARY, he said he wouldn't because it would and I quote "Hurt Xi's feelings." 

3. Ramon Magsaysay, Man of the People. Man who gave land to the landless. Man who hated Nepotism and Corruption with a fury(which was rampant). 

I'll let Wikipedia continue with the talking. 

"Magsaysay's administration was considered one of the cleanest and most corruption-free in modern Philippines history; the period of his presidency is often cited as the Philippines's "Golden Years". Trade and industry flourished, the Philippine military was at its prime, and the country gained international recognition in sports, culture, and foreign affairs. The Philippines placed second on a ranking of Asia's clean and well-governed countries. "

4. Ferdinand Marcos. One word. Dictator. 

5. Ferdinand Marcos and the Current President

6. Benigno Aquino, his controversies overshadow his MASSIVE achievements. Also his Mother, President Corazon Aquino. Underrated, but I still hate her. 

7. Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago. I don't wanna summarize such an amazing woman. I suggest you look her up and you'd be amazed. Epitome of what it means to be a Strong, Independent and Competent Woman. 

8. We don't have a concept of Nomination. Either people run as Independent or are choosen by Party Leaders. Political Parties are very fickle here. 

9. I hope the Current Vice President (president and vice president are elected separately) runs for President in 2022. Her Covid Response is one of the best in the country. 

And the BEST Covid Response is to the next Person I'd wanna run. Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto. He's a young leader who has shown himself VERY CAPABLE and Humble as a leader in his FIRST term as Mayor. His relevant previous experience is as City Councilor for 3 years. 

I don't foresee him running anytime soon due to his age (30) but in the future, he'd be a great President. 

10. Bernie Sanders. He is one of my life's biggest influence. I became interested in International Politics because of him. I became interested in compassionate policies, because of him. And it's because of him that I no longer view some of my previous dangerous opinions. Such as support of the Extra Judicial Killings, the War on Drugs, Death Penalty and support of my Current President. 

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Who is the most overrated president? Reagan Why? Voodoo Economics, Iran-Contra, Funding Third World Death Squads, Star Wars, the list goes on.

This!! My country is directly affected by Reagan. He supported a Dictator in my country, which led to many deaths and Human Rights Abuses. Reagan's Support also meant more Corruption in my country. And arguably, his support of the Dictatorship had opposite effects. Communist Party members and New People's Army increased in numbers. Due to this, we still have a strong Communist insurgency. FUCK REAGAN. FUCK CONSERVATIVES. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not sure if we should do a US version or one of our home country. I did a US version first, because I thought we should be doing this. However, I'd gladly do an Austrian version as well, if you are interested.

George W. Bush. I consider him among the best presidents the US ever had and compared to his successors it's not difficult to view him in an even more positive light.

1. Which president is the worst president of your lifetime? Why?

Barack Obama, for a pretty bad presidency, which made Trump possible. He also got the Nobel Peace Prize undeserved.

1. Who do you think is the best president before you were born? Why?

Probably George Washington, because he was able to maintain the course of the US building the foundation for the country to become the strongest country in the world.

1. Who do you think is the worst president before you were born? Why?

James Buchanan, because of his inability to address the crisis of his time which led to the ultimate break up of the Union.

1. Who is the most overrated president? Why?

FDR, he didn't address the issue of race inequality properly, but is still held in high regard by many people left of the centre.

1. Who is the most underrated president? Why?

George HW Bush, he cared very much about lowering tensions on the Korean peninsula but this is barely mentioned anywhere.

1. Who is your favorite nominee that has ever lost a race for president? Why?

Alf Landon, it would have been nice to see how the US developed under him. Similarly I liked to see especially a President Tilden.

1. Who is your favorite candidate that has ever lose a race to be party nominee? Why?

Lindsey Graham, he is a strong debater with good conservative views, while not being complete in line with Trump's rhetoric.

1. What current politician do you hope runs in 2024 or 2028? Why?

Tom Cotton. He is simply the best option for Republicans right now.

1. Who is your favorite international politician of your lifetime? Why? 

Jacob Rees-Mogg. I wish he becomes prime minister of the UK at sometime. He's simply an ideal role model. Rees-Mogg's policies are mostly great, he has tremendous humour and he's very eloquent when giving speeches. He used the longest word of the English language which contains 29 letters (floccinaucinihilipilification) in a House of Commons debate for example: 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, vcczar said:

Which president is the best president of your lifetime? Why?

Bill Clinton! We had a surplus under him! His policies are primarily the reason as to why I picked him.

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

Which president is the worst president of your lifetime? Why?

Currently I would say Donald Trump. He's madr me want to become a Canadian citizen which I plan to do whenever I get the chance 😛

His rhetoric is primarily the reason as to why i picked him. He does not attempt to unite our country.

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

Who do you think is the best president before you were born? Why?

Best President would probably be George H.W Bush. The man was a compassionate man and helped the world by seeing the end of the Cold War. Plus he was a pragmatic leader.

Who do you think is the worst president before you were born? Why?

James B.

He didn't do much.

Who is the most overrated president? Why?

Ronald R. 

I think Goldwater was better 😛 but keep in mind I'm from Arizona so I'm biased.

Who is the most underrated president? Why?

Gerald Ford. The man led us through a tough time and did his best. Sure his pardon was controversial but it was for the greater good. 

Who is your favorite nominee that has ever lost a race for president? Why?

Michael Dukakis. Dukakis would have been Bill Clinton except without the charisma and more integrity. 

Who is your favorite candidate that has ever lose a race to be party nominee? Why?

I'm a big fan of Joe Lieberman! Sad that he didn't win in 04. He would have made a interesting president.Im

What current politician do you hope runs in 2024 or 2028? Why?

I'm not sure to be honest. Charlie Crist anyone?

Who is your favorite international politician of your lifetime? Why? 

I'm a fan of the following! 

Kevin Rudd, Vicente Fox, Tony Blair, John Major, Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Theresa May, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin, Joe Clark, Peter McKay, Jagmeet Singh, I miss Jack Layton, Tom Mulcair(great leader of the opposition but a bad campaigner!)

But out of all of these I'll pick Jean Chretien!

He is a inspiration to me and I believe he was the greatest Prime Minister of Canada or maybe that honor goes to Kim Campbell 😛

• Thanks 1
  1. Which president is the best president of your lifetime? Why? Barrack Obama, Character, Personality, Leadership
  2. Which president is the worst president of your lifetime? Why? Donald Trump, To many ways to write in a sentence. 
  3. Who do you think is the best president before you were born? Why? JFK-He is one of the most inspirational political figures to me. 
  4. Who do you think is the worst president before you were born? Why? I think James Buchanan, however also Andrew Jackson- for the fact he committed genocide with the Indian removal act. 
  5. Who is the most overrated president? Why? Abraham Lincoln, he gets way to much credit, and is one of the main figures of the "white savior complex", he wasn't an abolitionist, Also Ronald Reagan, for obvious reasons (Though I think Lincoln is more universally overrated, because Reagan isn't liked at all in Democratic circles, compared to maybe Lincoln)  Also for Lincoln, he is overrated in the fact that people think he championed to end slavery, and was a savior and abolitionist himself. 
  6. Who is the most underrated president? Why? Ulysses S. Grant, Though he had a corrupt admin., he was an amazing historical figure, an actual abolitionist, fought for reconstruction, etc. Also LBJ, even though his failure in the Vietnam war. 
  7. Who is your favorite nominee that has ever lost a race for president? Why? Henry Clay, the man, the myth, the legend. 
  8. Who is your favorite candidate that has ever lose a race to be party nominee? Why? Bernie Sanders, of course. 
  9. What current politician do you hope runs in 2024 or 2028? Why? Alexandria-Ocasio Cortez, Just everything from Bernie, and more.
  10. Who is your favorite international politician of your lifetime? Why?  Jacinda Ardern- I seriously think if she was our president, it would be an absolute perfect combination, and she is somebody we need right now. @vcczar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. How am I going to answer this? I was born late 1990s so I couldn't really offer an opinion on anyone. Clinton was technically president while I was alive but I do not remember him (obviously.) I would put forward Clinton in terms of economic growth but he was also a complete creep, thrived more on charismatic and a surging internet bubble than anything so I'll say Obama just because that is probably the best president I remember. I do not like him but he is the best in my lifetime that impacted anything I lived through.

2. George Bush and I will scream that from the roof tops until the day I die. I do not care that Donald Trump has gaffs every week or that he has a divisive rhetoric. I am married to a POC, she is directly impacted by his admin, but you know what admin my family and her family were more impacted by? George Bush invading Afghanistan to capture Osama Bin Laden, using 9/11 to further his 10x worse and more divisive neocon warhawk agenda/rhetoric then using 9/11 to justify invading Iraq for the sole purpose of Saddam playing hardball with other Arab nations and the U.S having enough. My father fought in Iraq, he has PTSD. Her uncle fought in Iraq and Afghanistan, he lost a leg to an IED. There are over a million people disenfranchised by this war, over 300k innocents dead and at home domestically, he pushed his own tax cuts for the rich, immigration reforms that did put children in cages and started the mess we're in right now and destroyed schools. Yeah I'm sorry but Donald Trump is a lame duck compared to this president.

3. FDR. I feel like the way he shifted politics of the era towards the left and on that path until Reagan arrived is legendary and it's sad his legacy has partly been erased. I cannot say much on FDR that hasn't already been said in this thread, I hate internment camps but I can say he is one of the few presidents that made a difference that will be forever lasting.

4. Probably James Buchanan.

5. Most definitely Reagan. Put the USA on a neoliberal slant it will never escape from until there is another left wing revolution (probably soon but yeah), toppled many left wing leaders in the third world and allowed literal dictators take over with the only difference is that they sold stuff to the US and opposed the Soviet Union. He has impacted more people than any US president aside from obviously Washington and I am going to be honest.

6. Lol this is going to be such a weird answer but Nixon. Why? Well it's not like he had his own blaring issues, he was corrupt, horrible with power and felt quite aimless from what I could see but he is always on the list of worst presidents when I feel like that is solely because of Watergate, as a president he very much encompassed the times when the GOP had to play in the Democrat's playing field, as opposed to how it is today. He wanted single-payer healthcare (funnily enough vetoed by Democrats), he opened China to the rest of the world which is the sole reason I am typing this paragraph right here on a computer with parts made in China, the ABMT, established USPS, the EPA, he cared a lot about the environment. He did a lot of bad things too, we all know what he did, war on drugs, trying to veto ending Vietnam, secret carpetbombing, watergate, etc etc but he gets a lot of lack for corruption that is so readily out there in Washington, we just don't read about it. That's the difference with Nixon, we know.

7. Al Gore probably I care a lot about the environment.

8. Jesse Jackson

9. 2024, Illhan, 2028, if Charles Booker does well, him.

10. Tony Benn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  1. Which president is the best president of your lifetime? Why? Barack Obama. Bill Clinton was close, because of his strong economy. However, Obama got us out of a recession and made it possible that the economy could survive, even under Trump (excluding Coronavirus outbreak). Obama was also much more socially liberal than Clinton, who was more of a social fence-sitter. Obama also has more integrity than Clinton. 
  2. Which president is the worst president of your lifetime? Why? Prior to this year, I would have said George W. Bush, who would still be the worst in my lifetime, if I considered the entire world. However, when I consider just my own country, it is clearly Trump. He has shown almost no empathy to those that don't devoutly support him, even amid a pandemic and a recession. He has zero national leadership skill. He is imbecilic as a statesman. My opinion cannot possibly be any lower for any national-level politician in my lifetime. Trump has not sunk even below Ted Cruz for me, which is something I thought would never had happened.
  3. Who do you think is the best president before you were born? Why? Probably FDR with Lincoln second. Both handled a near-impossible crisis (two crises for FDR) better than expected, despite some human error. Domestically, LBJ is of their eminence, but his foreign policy removes him from consideration. 
  4. Who do you think is the worst president before you were born? Why? James Buchanan. There's basically nothing he did well. He was even a terrible party leader. He was one of the most divisive presidents and one of the most indecisive. In his defense, however, John Tyler would have been much worse if he were president 1857-1861. Tyler had traits that would have made him a failure in any era as president. Buchanan would have done okay in the 1920s and 1820s-1840s. 
  5. Who is the most overrated president? Why? Ronald Reagan for working-class economical malpractice and Eisenhower for proliferating nukes and CIA covert operations. However, if I had to pick Democrat, it would be Harry S Truman. He created the National Security State. We went from, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" to "We need to fear just about everything." Of 19th century presidents, James Madison is actually a below average president. He was rudderless, then led us to a war that didn't need to happen and ended in a draw. Failed invasion of Canada in an attempt to acquire it or use it as a bargaining chip. Saw the capital burned. 
  6. Who is the most underrated president? Why? I think John Quincy Adams and Zachary Taylor had potential to be good to great, but that should really count for this. Underrated? Harding, surprisingly, was at least a little better than what he's given credit for. Arthur is another one that should be given a little more credit. John Adams too. We don't really have anyone who is clearly underrated. We have more overrated presidents. 
  7. Who is your favorite nominee that has ever lost a race for president? Why? If I include 3rd parties, then Robert La Follette---the original Bernie Sanders. If I include only nominees of major parties, then McGovern. If 19th century, then Henry Clay or James G Blaine---both capable and forward-thinking. 
  8. Who is your favorite candidate that has ever lose a race to be party nominee? Why? Of 21st century, a tie between Dennis Kucinich and Bernie Sanders. Of 20th century, probably Estes Kefauver, who is sort of like a Bernie Sanders if Sanders were a prosecutor. Of 19th century, probably Salmon P. Chase, even though he's also likely corrupt. He would have been innovative and very strong on Civil Rights. I wish Charles Sumner had run. 
  9. What current politician do you hope runs in 2024 or 2028? Why? Most of my favorite politicians are too old to run. I want someone who is like AOC but who is a little more toned down. I'll just say her for now, just as a place holder. However, I'll jump to someone else who is ideologically similar---Sanders-Warren branch of the Democrats. 
  10. Who is your favorite international politician of your lifetime? Why? Of former politicians--Jose Mujia, the famously poor president of Uruguay. Of current international leaders, Jacinda Adern of New Zealand. I got an eye on Sanna Marin of Finland too. I should also put Angela Merkel up here, even though I probably wouldn't vote for her if I were a German. Her country is rather strong and has handled Covid much better than the US. 
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, vcczar said:

8. Who is your favorite candidate that has ever lose a race to be party nominee? Why?

1. I've been alive for exactly 3 Presidents. So Obama, I suppose. Clinton would be close if I was alive then.

2. Trump - he's like Bush but with added negatives. 

3. Lincoln. No one fundamentally changed this nation for the better like he did. 

4. Buchanan. Could be followed by Johnson, though. He didn't do anything right and made pretty much everything worse.

5. Reagan or (dare I say) Kennedy. Don't get me wrong about Kennedy, he could've done more should he have lived longer, but I think what he did do is a little overrated, with the near worship that I see.

6. For Republicans - HW Bush. He got caught at the wrong time and was voted out of office because of it. Did well for his time. Didn't necessarily agree with everything he did but a little underrated. Democrats - LBJ. Most associated him with the Vietnam War, but that's not the extent of what he did.

7. I don't know why but I've always like Adlai Stevenson. I love foreign policy, so could be because he was UN ambassador. 

8. Warren. The one I was most invested in, so it naturally hits harder. She seemed to have a grip on everything that was going on - making a plan for COVID back in January. We missed someone with a very big depth of knowledge. 

9. I hope someone like Ayanna Pressley runs in 2028 or 2032, or in the more near future, Sherrod Brown or Kirsten Gillibrand for 2024.

10. So many! Nicola Sturgeon is probably at the top of the list. Competent administrator, did wonders for Scotland on COVID, brought her party from the doldrums to an electoral powerhouse and maybe future Prime Minister of Scotland. Angela Merkel, Meral Aksener (not because I necessarily agree with her policies, but because I think she's a fighter and can take on Erdogan) of Turkey round out that top three probably. 

• Thanks 1

Obama. He would've been one of the best, if the Tea Party wasn't so busy undermining him.

Trump. He's brought the United States to the brink of civil war. Sociopathic, damaged, murderous, completely ruined the name President of the United States. He makes GWB look good!

Kennedy. He set the stage for humans landing on the moon, set up the Peace Corps, supported the first civil rights movement, and prevented the Cuban Missile Crisis from turning into war. Of course, he did cause the Bay of Pigs invasion and the Vietnam war, so there's that against him...

Reagan. His record of imperialism and aggression is well documented and well known. He ordered the murder of fellow Americans in countless countries. He sanctioned acts of terror in America, Europe and the Middle East, as well as numerous other places in the Western Hemisphere. Don't get me wrong, he helped bring an end to the first Cold War, but there was a terrible price in doing so.

See above.

Nixon. He ended US involvement in Vietnam, visited China in what would become the start of diplomatic relations between the two, and worked very hard to achieve detente, and despite his behavior in Watergate, those were three excellent achievement of his.

Al Gore. If he had won, America would be in a much better position than it is now.

Bernie Sanders, if only for the fact that he's the most noted progressive on the scene.

No idea, to be honest.

I guess Ed Milliband comes close, but I'm not sure why.

• Thanks 1

A tie between George W Bush and Barack Obama.  Both inherited major disasters that were caused mostly by their predecessors, and both rose to the occasion.  Bush was dead wrong on some of his domestic policies, especially trying to prevent gay marriage -- and Obama was dead wrong on some of his foreign policies, especially doing absolutely nothing about Syria (but he does get a lot of bonus points for getting Bin Laden).  

Give me Obama's domestic efforts with W Bush's foreign policy, and that might be as close to ideal a President as I could find.

Donald Trump.  Are you kidding me?  It's not even close.  He's not even TRYING to be the President of the United States.  The only good thing about Donald Trump is that his inherently evil nature is matched only by his incompetence.

I'm a huge fan of Harry Truman.  "The Buck Stops Here" wasn't just a motto -- it's who he actually was.  He demonstrated actual leadership, which includes modest accountability, every step of the way.

Donald Trump is the worst ever, but you said "before I was born."  I used to say Nixon, but at least Nixon possessed enough self-shame to resign rather than be evicted.  Trump lacks that.

Probably a combination of James Buchanan (who did absolutely nothing despite the Civil War clearly about to happen) and Herbert Hoover (who did absolutely nothing despite the Great Depression clearly about to happen).

Donald Trump, because some people have him rated higher than the worst President ever.

George W. Bush.  People judge him on the basis of "In a world in which 9/11 was the last real large-scale terrorist attack on our nation, he went way overboard."  But that world wasn't guaranteed on September 12th.  There hasn't been a real large-scale terrorist attack BECAUSE of George W Bush.

I'll say Hillary Clinton because she was absolutely qualified for the job, unlike Trump, and also because other than 2016, every nominee that I ever backed went on to win. 

Pete Buttigieg was my favorite by far -- he had that Harry Truman leadership quality.  He held himself accountable, and expected others to as well.  I'll never forget his response when he was asked about police brutality under his watch as Mayor, during one of the Presidential debates.  His response was "It happened because I failed."  He continued on with eloquence, to explain what he had tried and why it had failed and what he learned from that.  But it was those words:  "It happened because I failed" that stood out to me.

Over the course of the rest of that entire debate...and every debate before it and every debate after it...nobody ever admitted to having ever failed.  Even though they all surely had at one point in their life or another.

Only Pete Buttigieg could admit a mistake and learn something from it.

Pete Buttigieg, largely for the reasons I mentioned above.  I also still have respect for JEB! Bush, but I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that we ever see him again.

Honestly, I don't know enough to say.  The one that springs to mind is Tony Blair for standing up and being our ally when we needed one most, even though he took a lot of flack for it at home.
  • Thanks 1

1. Clinton probably. My parents were able to move from the apartment to a pretty good suburban middle classish house. We were also always able to take family vacations, and while I may not remember them all, these were pretty big ones. Aunts and uncles and cousins all along. The older I got the more it was just my parents and grandpa who'd go. So I'd assume things were going pretty well under Clinton, at least from the eyes of a child. Granted picking Clinton is like picking the least bad out of 4 bad ones. 

2. Bush. Patriot act. 

3. Teddy Roosevelt. National parks, his progressive ideas, the way he led the country, the type of person he was. 

4. Andrew Johnson. Really halted post war recovery. I'm sure this wasn't an easy task for anyone to handle though. 

5. FDR. He expanded the power of the executive branch and the federal government as a whole. Mind you I don't think he's a bad president, or did bad at the job or anything, but he is extremely overrated.

6. Coolidge. He's overrated by a very small sect of people but otherwise he's either rated below average or as terrible. He's neither of those. He's an average president with an above average view on the job. I think he handled the cards he was dealt well enough.

7. Teddy Roosevelt when he split the race and gave it to Wilson(who almost was my answer to number 4) or WJB or Charles Evan Hughes. None from recent memory really stand out. I do sometimes wonder how different/better the country would be if Mitt won in 2012, and then it'd have been Mitt v Hillary 2016 with Mitt probably winning re-election.

8. I really was digging Rand Paul in 2015 and 2016. So probably him. I remember wishing that the 2016 election was Bernie vs Rand once it came down to Clinton vs Trump. Also thought that Clinton would win and 2020 would be the year of my, at the time, dream team of Paul and Rubio.

9. Rand Paul because I'm still for him, I'd love to see Hickenlooper give it another go, I'm probably closer to Hickenlooper ideologically than Paul. Wouldn't mind seeing Kyrsten Sinema, Rick Scott, or Greg Abbott, run as well.

10. Hm. Pope John Paul II. I know he's a religious figure but the papacy duties do blur the lines between religious figure and political figure. I think Pope John Paul II did a lot of good for the world as a whole so that's why. 

• Thanks 1
On 6/23/2020 at 10:59 PM, vcczar said:

1. Either Trump or Clinton; Each have some positives and some negatives. Not the greatest options but way better than Bush and Obama who were disasters.

2. Hard to chose between Bush and Obama

3. William Henry Harrison

But all joking aside, Calvin Coolidge because he fought against the growth of government and was maybe the most consistent president for liberty.

4. FDR because he was a wantta be dictator who helped lead the US to a massive government expansion. Woodrow Wilson is close behind though.

5. FDR because he gets unwarranted credit for the Great Depression ending and happened to be President during much of WWII (as well as reasons above).

6. William Henry Harrison

But again, Calvin Coolidge. Nobody seems to remember his presidency because he didn't do much (but that's a good thing).

7. Ron Paul

8. Rand Paul because he would actually stand on principle unlike modern day presidents.

9. Rand Paul because right now he's the only liberty politician in position to run right now.

10. Nigel Farage because of his work to lead the Brexit movement and hurt the globalists by taking the UK out of the EU.

• Thanks 1