270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrPrez

A DNC Nightmare

Curious what people think about this scenario:

Imagine it's 5-10 days before the Democratic Convention starts and Joe Biden has a stroke, rendering him incapacitated. Who would the DNC/delegates run to as their pick for the nomination?

Things to Consider:

• Would it matter if/who Biden announced as his running mate?
  • Would the party aim for someone who is seen as a party unifying figure (a la Biden himself)?
  • How much would the general political conditions (economy, Covid, protests) make a significant impact on the decision?
  • Would it need to be someone seen as a caretaker/one term President, as Biden is seen as?

I imagine you’d see an actual contested convention, with delegates having to decide mostly for themselves.

There would certainly be a push to back Biden’s VP, and a push for Sanders, a push maybe for Warren.  I would be very nervous about anyone who’d never run for a national office before, as they could turn out to be a Sarah Palin level mess with no time to vet them.  So Id want someone who had already been through that process.

I'd actually be more curious what the GOP would do if Trump were incapacitated before their convention.  Could Pence hold it together despite being so different from Trump.  Would they stick with Trump, knowing that Stephen Miller runs the show anyway?

2 hours ago, pilight said:

I'd actually be more curious what the GOP would do if Trump were incapacitated before their convention.  Could Pence hold it together despite being so different from Trump.  Would they stick with Trump, knowing that Stephen Miller runs the show anyway?

Pence has been quietly loyal to Trump all along.  I'm sure they'd nominate him if they needed to come up with a nominee in 5-10 days.

Well first of all, has such an incident ever occurred? And does the DNC actually have a contingency plan for such an occurrence?

6 hours ago, pilight said:

3 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Pence has been quietly loyal to Trump all along.  I'm sure they'd nominate him if they needed to come up with a nominee in 5-10 days.

I think in this case it'd be Pence/Haley 2020. 

32 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I think in this case it'd be Pence/Haley 2020. 

Pence would likely be losing candidate - even Trump is teetering and iffy, at best - in a race for U.S. President in the modern day and age. He'd alienate more potential undecided voters than Trump would, strangely.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Pence would likely be losing candidate - even Trump is teetering and iffy, at best - in a race for U.S. President in the modern day and age. He'd alienate more potential undecided voters than Trump would, strangely.

I think if Pence had a chance to govern and shift to the center he might be more appealing as a "generic politician" but even then I think he's still more or less a losing candidate, so yeah I agree.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'd disagree with this assessment.  I strongly dislike Pence because of his anti gay rights stance, but he doesn't have Trump's level of blatant incompetence.  That will be reassuring to Republican voters who might have considered just staying home if Trump was at the top of the ticket.  

Pence would say the right words to keep the MAGA crowd at least long enough to get to the election, while also reassuring non-MAGA Republicans that he'd be a steadier hand at the wheel.

To be clear, I'll never vote for him with or without Trump.  But I think his appeal right now is broader than Trump's.  

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

I think if Pence had a chance to govern and shift to the center he might be more appealing as a "generic politician" but even then I think he's still more or less a losing candidate, so yeah I agree.

It's tough to imagine Pence shifting to the center

Ironically, Pence would be more akin to Reagan than Trump ever was, but that might just be me.

19 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Ironically, Pence would be more akin to Reagan than Trump ever was, but that might just be me.

Pence isn't much like Reagan.  Reagan never paid more than lip service to the religious right.

10 hours ago, pilight said:

Pence isn't much like Reagan.  Reagan never paid more than lip service to the religious right.

The politically and socially dominant "religious right," in the United States is the Cult of Mammon, not Christianity or Judaism, unfortunately so I'd say Reagan was an enthusiastic and whole-hearted member and supporter of it.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, pilight said:

That's a dream scenario for the GOP, a midwest politician who is anti-abortion, pro religious, anti-gay and extremely popular among base, has like zero bad past cause he was such a lame person in his past. Polls would shift insanely towards Pence too cause the effect of Trump being counted out, independents would sway like if a candidate is shot or harmed.

3 hours ago, wolves said:

That's a dream scenario for the GOP, a midwest politician who is anti-abortion, pro religious, anti-gay and extremely popular among base, has like zero bad past cause he was such a lame person in his past. Polls would shift insanely towards Pence too cause the effect of Trump being counted out, independents would sway like if a candidate is shot or harmed.

Again, like I asked @admin_270 a few times, what religion? If you're saying he's a Christian, you're insulting my religion, and saying that his vile, hate-filled, Mammon-serving beliefs are somehow in line with the Ministry of Christ and the Apostles, which they are actually greatly anathema to. He is a "wolf in sheep's clothing amongst the flock," NOT a "pro-religious," Christian.