270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Toward A Top 100 Most Influential (cutting down the list)

Toward a Top 100 Most Influential List  

15 members have voted

1. 1. (Please read my first comment below the poll first): Which of the Following has had a lasting influence on World History and clearly deserves a place on the top 100 most influential people of all time?

• Thomas Edison
    • Gregor Mendel
    • Qin Shi Huang
    • Queen Elizabeth I
    • Charles Babbage
    • Winston Churchill
    • Louis Pasteur
    • Rene Descartes
    • John Calvin
    • Johannes Gutenberg
    • Socrates
    • Homer
    • Niccolo Machiavelli
    • Constantine the Great
    • Cicero
    • Vladimir Lenin
    • Adam Smith
    • Queen Isabella I
    • King David
    • John F Kennedy
    • Saint Peter
    • Karl Benz
    • Queen Victoria
    • Thomas Hobbes
    • Pythagoras
    • Woodrow Wilson
    • Justinian I
    • Pope Urban II
    • Mark Twain
    • John Adams
    • Andrew Jackson
    • Vincent Van Gogh
    • Blaise Pascal
    • Nelson Mandela
    • Susan B Anthony
    • Florence Nightingale
    • Benito Mussolini
    • Rosa Parks
    • Helen Keller
    • Mother Theresa
    • Osama bin Laden
    • Arthur Conan Doyle
    • Leo Tolstoy
    • Miguel de Cervantes
    • Saint Patrick
    • Mark Zuckerberg
    • Henry Bessemer
    • Jimmy Wales
    • Samuel Colt
    • Giordano Bruno
    • Norman Borlaug
    • None of these have done enough to be in the top 100 most influential list.

The following list are those who barely made our 270Soft Top 100 Most Influential list, and some of these won't even make it. You can help determine who makes the list by taking this poll. When taking this poll, consider who has had an international influence and a lasting influence:  @vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight 

Here are their brief accomplishments:

Thomas Edison invented the first practical incandescent light bulb and the phonograph.
Gregor Mendel "Founder of Modern Genetics" for discovering the rules of inheritance
Qin Shi Huang Created the first centralized state and initiated Chinese civilization.Additionally, he standardized the written language of China, instituted the first large scale censorship in history, and initiated the Great Wall of China, which is the only human-made object observable from space.
Elizabeth I inspired the flowering of English literature and language, especially drama. Set the foundation for English colonialism, and the concept of the British Empire. Reestablished England as a protestant state.
Charles Babbage originated the concept of the programmable computer.
Winston Churchill the earliest and leading advocate against Nazi Germany and Cold War Soviet Russia, ensuring the containment of both expanding powers.
Louis Pasteur “Father of Microbiology.” He was crucial to the development of immunization,. He also disproved the theory of spontaneous generation. He also invented the process called Pasteurization, which kills bacteria in liquid food.
Rene Descartes Father of Modern Western Philosophy and the father of analytical geometry. His contributions to critical thinking have made all universities, more or less, Cartesian institutions.
John Calvin Founder of Calvinism, which is the chief philosophy of numerous protestant churches, such as Presbyterians, Congregational, Reformed. As such, Calvin has gained many more adherents than Luther. Some scholar give Calvin credit for the rise of Capitalism, since he inspired the “Protestant work ethic” and allowed the charging of interest on loans, which was condemned by other Christians.
Johannes Gutenberg Invented the first practical printer, which sparked a printing revolution, increasing knowledger, literacy, education, and usher in a more modern age of information; Gutenberg Bible was the first mass produced Bible; His press was central in spreading vernacular languages and reducing the importance of Latin as a written language; The Protestant Reformation was greatly aided by Gutenberg's press.
Socrates One of the founders of Western Philosophy and the first "moral philosopher."; Left no writings of his own, but was a teacher and major source for Plato's philosophy; Known for the Socratic Method and Socratic Irony.
Homer According to tradition, the author of the Illiad and the Oddyssey, which are often called the beginning of the Western literary tradition. Crucual to Ancient Greek culture and education. They still inspire the arts today.
Niccolo Machiavelli "Father of Modern Political Science" for his political theories; argued that political leaders can brush aside morality and use deception, treachery, violence, etc., if the intention and result is beneficial for the country; Argued it is better for a leader be feared than loved, if you cannot be both; his surname has come to mean deviousness or deceit.
Constantine the Great Roman Emperor who greatly reformed Rome; Shifted the center to Constantinople (named after himself); Converted to Christianity and sponsored the relgion, being influential in the creation of the Nicene Creed.
Cicero Possibly the greatest orator; Had a major influence in the late Roman Republic; the rediscovery of his letters is said to have initiated the Renaissance over 1,000 years after his death.
Vladimir Lenin Led the Russian Communism party to victory during the Russian Revolution; founded and led the Soviet Union and remained an icon for them after his death.
Adam Smith Laid the foundation of free market economic theory with his book, Wealth of Nations; "Father of Economics" and "Father of Capitalism."
Queen Isabella I Unified Spain through marriage and Reconquista; financed Christopher Columbus's 1492 voyage, which led to the colonization of the New World and to the establishment of Spain as a major power.
David Arguably the most influential King of Israel; kills Goliath, captures Jerusalem; considered the ideal King and a forerunner for Jesus
John F Kennedy Pop culture figure who, as president, created the Apollo Program that put a man on the moon, and advocated the New Frontier that became LBJ's Great Society; amped up US aggression towards Communist Countries, laying the groundwork for the next stages of the Cold War
Saint Peter According to orthodox Christian belief, served as the first Christian leader after the death of Jesus and as the first pope; Christian folklore states that Peter holds the keys to Heaven.
Karl Benz Invented the first practical automobile
Queen Victoria Popular monarch who presided during her namesake age--The Victorian Age, possibly the most influential era since the Renaissance or since Antiquity; Called the "Grandmother of Europe" since a large portion of later monarchs are directly related to her.
Thomas Hobbes "Father of Modern Political Theory" for his concept of the Social Contract, the idea that individuals are obligated to surrender some of their freedoms in exchange for protections by their government for the maintenance of social order and stability.
Pythagoras Came up with the concept of the immortality of souls; invented the crucial pythagorean theorem of geometry; influenced philosophers, mathematicians, astronomers.
Woodrow Wilson Architect of Wilsonian Democracy, which transition the US into an interventionist country; architect of the League of Nation's, which was later readapted as the United Nations; presided as the US became the financial country of the world, surpassing London; Presided during World War I.
Justinian I Presided during the resurgence of the Roman Empire under the guise of the Byzantine Empire; Presided during the creation of Justinian's Code, which allowed Christianity to prosper in much of Europe
Pope Urban II Crucial in initiating the First Crusader by promising forgiveness and pardon to those who joined the Crusades to reclaim the Holy Land.
Mark Twain "Father of American Literature" and "America's greatest humorist" His Huckleberry Finn is often called "The Great American Novel" by some.
John Adams Foremost advocate of the US declaring independence from Great Britain; made the proposal that Washington be made General-in-Chief of Rev War army; 1st US minister to UK; 1st US VP; 2nd US President
Andrew Jackson Inspired universal white male suffrage in the US; altered the life of Native Americans with his Indian Removal Policies; first leader and fire president of the still extant Democratic Party; set the precedent for Union used by Lincoln during the Civil War
Vincent Van Gogh Arguably the most well-known contibutor to the foundations of Modern Art; His work is routinely the most expensive sold worldwide.
Blaise Pascal Created the first successful mechanical calculator
Nelson Mandela The most famous anti-Apartheid leader; South Africa's first elected black head of state.
Susan B Anthony Arguably the most iconic women's suffrage activist in US history
Florence Nightingale The founder of modern nursing; laid the foundations for the first nursing school
Benito Mussolini Early Fascist leader who inspired Hitler, Franco, and many other fascist dictators; Made Italy a Nazi ally in World War II
Rosa Parks "The Mother of the Freedom Movement" during the Civil Rights Movement
Helen Keller First deaf-blind person to earn a college degree; activist for women, minorities, labor; pop culture figure who proved that serious handicaps do not deter one from living an impactful life.
Mother Teresa Pop Culture figure became a symbol of charity and patience; won the Nobel Peace Prize for her work in aiding the impoverished in India
Osama bin Laden Inaugurated the War on Terror, which spawned other wars, by masterminding the 9-11 attacks on the US; led to increased permanent national security domestically worldwide; inaugurated upswing in Islamophobia through his perverted interpretation of Islam.
Arthur Conan Doyle For creating Sherlock Holmes, arguably the most influential and popular literary figure of all time.
Leo Tolstoy Arguably the greatest novelist in World History; Considered the pinnacle of realist fiction.
Miguel de Cervantes Author of the first modern novel (Don Quixote), arguably the most influential novel in world history; regarded as the greatest writer in the Spanish language.
Saint Patrick Christianized Ireland, which maintained its strong Catholic allegiances despite pressure from England; namesake of a popular world-wide holiday.
Mark Zuckerberg Inventor of Facebook, arguably the most influential social media and social networking service
Henry Bessemer His steel-making process made steel affordable and quicker, launching a revolution in structural engineering
Jimmy Wales Creator of Wikipedia, a multi-lingual dictionary and largest reference source on the internet
Samuel Colt Invented the mass production of commercially available hand guns
Giordano Bruno First to argue that the stars are suns with planets, that life possibly exists on this planets, and that the universe is infinite
Norman Borlaug The "Father of the Green Revolution" credited with saving over 1 billion people from starvation.

Pasteur, Socrates, Homer, Cicero, JFK, Pythagoras, van Gogh, Parks, Keller, Theresa, Tolstoy, Bruno.

Neither Mussolini or bin Laden deserve a spot because they brought us backwards.

31 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Pasteur, Socrates, Homer, Cicero, JFK, Pythagoras, van Gogh, Parks, Keller, Theresa, Tolstoy, Bruno.

Neither Mussolini or bin Laden deserve a spot because they brought us backwards.

But Mussolini made the trains run on time. :P

32 minutes ago, Wiw said:

This isn’t about good or evil. It’s about influence. For instance, Hitler had more influence on world history than the nicest person on my city block. A shame. But true. This isn’t a moral or ethical list. 

Oh, well they'd be on the list too, then. Everyone who caused all the wars in the world would be pretty high up.

12 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Oh, well they'd be on the list too, then. Everyone who caused all the wars in the world would be pretty high up.

Yeah, unfortunately. Did you vote? 

Meant to vote for Pasteur and Colt as well. My bad.

28 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Meant to vote for Pasteur and Colt as well. My bad.

Ok. Noted.

33 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

mussolini was fat

So is Trump. Your point is?

2 hours ago, Patine said:

So is Trump. Your point is?

both don't want to be seen saying spaghetti, so therefore trump is a fascist.

Just now, NYConservative said:

both don't want to be seen saying spaghetti, so therefore trump is a fascist.

Trump's not actually a Fascist at all. He's a narcissistic, arrogant, self-indulgent showman and blowhard. He isn't even really a leader - and I'm no longer convinced he is the real authority and ideologue of the Trump Administration. I've come to fully believe there is one or more "powers behind the throne," using him as a "mascot or distracting face," while they run the country and engage in sordid endeavours less likely to be newsworthy.

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

Trump's not actually a Fascist at all. He's a narcissistic, arrogant, self-indulgent showman and blowhard. He isn't even really a leader - and I'm no longer convinced he is the real authority and ideologue of the Trump Administration. I've come to fully believe there is one or more "powers behind the throne," using him as a "mascot or distracting face," while they run the country and engage in sordid endeavours less likely to be newsworthy.

hmm... guess the joke fell onto my cat, who recently started gagging in a way that sounded like a laugh and missed you! my bad.

11 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

hmm... guess the joke fell onto my cat, who recently started gagging in a way that sounded like a laugh and missed you! my bad.

It was a joke? I wouldn't have known. Maybe because it wasn't even remotely close to "funny."

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

It was a joke? I wouldn't have known. Maybe because it wasn't even remotely close to "funny."

or because of your pure lack of common sense in an attempt to be like "you're all WRONG!"

5 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

or because of your pure lack of common sense in an attempt to be like "you're all WRONG!"

Tis what he does best

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

Tis what he does best

Thee shan't move away from what thee does greatest.

8 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

2 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Tis what he does best

So I'm "all wrong," for not finding a bad joke funny? Are you two REALLY that pitiful, or is this another "bad joke," that's fallen flat?

Just now, Patine said:

So I'm "all wrong," for not finding a bad joke funny? Are you two REALLY that pitiful, or is this another "bad joke," that's fallen flat?

hmm... bad joke...

also forgot to mention that you have completely misunderstood the sentence, re-read and try again

12 hours ago, Patine said:

But Mussolini made the trains run on time. :P

hmm... b a d j o k e...

1 minute ago, NYConservative said:

hmm... bad joke...

also forgot to mention that you have completely misunderstood the sentence, re-read and try again

hmm... b a d j o k e...

I really don't have the time of day for low-grade trolls like you. Trolls belong under the bridge.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I really don't have the time of day for low-grade trolls like you. Trolls belong under the bridge.

yes.. I am such a troll for pointing out that you took my sentence in such a way that is beyond my level of thinking and is also completely wrong. I'll just go back to the shitposting shitpost town of shitpostville.

Just now, NYConservative said:

yes.. I am such a troll for pointing out that you took my sentence in such a way that is beyond my level of thinking, I'll just go back to the shitposting shitpost town of shitpostville.

You fail!

Just now, Patine said:

You fail!

Hey, no need to hit me on the way out back to shitpostville!