270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
billay

Does Trump still have a chance at winning?

45 minutes ago, Wiw said:

In that case, we can pretty much kiss our butts goodbye!

Neither of us lives in the U.S., @Wiw We're not bound by any rash and ill-thought-out domestic decisions Trump makes on the issue.

10 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Yeah, but what about foreign decisions?

What about them, exactly? Which ones are you referring to?

9 hours ago, Patine said:

What about them, exactly? Which ones are you referring to?

All of them?

6 minutes ago, Wiw said:

All of them?

Trade protectionism, his ONLY consistently pursued foreign policy? I think we've seen the worst of that, already. Anything else, specifically, considering the erratic, semi-coherent, and flip-flopping nature of Trump's actual policies?

10 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Well... I suppose there's the Special Relationship...

Wasn't that a Truman policy?

8 hours ago, Wiw said:

I mean... what happens there could be adopted here, right?

You're rambling there, semi-coherently. What exactly are intimating?

Know what, forget it. Let's try something else, say his military adventures. Let's say his attacks on Iran leads to WW3. Say, perhaps, a religious sect takes over Pakistan, he mishandles it, and the missiles start flying. Then what?

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

Know what, forget it. Let's try something else, say his military adventures. Let's say his attacks on Iran leads to WW3. Say, perhaps, a religious sect takes over Pakistan, he mishandles it, and the missiles start flying. Then what?

You do know, he's the least hawkish U.S. President after Herbert Hoover left the White House - one of extremely few redeeming qualities about his Administration - and he hasn't actually started any new wars or showed any SERIOUS motivation or desire to do so (just a bit of political bravado). It's odd that he - of all U.S. Presidents for decades - is the one who most worries you for foreign wars.

Now you mention it, yeah, it is odd! But wouldn't you be worried if some raving, bigoted fanatic had access to weapons of mass destruction?

2 hours ago, Patine said:

You do know, he's the least hawkish U.S. President after Herbert Hoover left the White House - one of extremely few redeeming qualities about his Administration - and he hasn't actually started any new wars or showed any SERIOUS motivation or desire to do so (just a bit of political bravado). It's odd that he - of all U.S. Presidents for decades - is the one who most worries you for foreign wars.

He's made more veiled threats to other nation's than any modern presidency, but, yes, he's been the least bellicose since Hoover--except to his own people. I'm assuming some of this is his bad relations with the CIA and some influential Generals. 

3 hours ago, Wiw said:

Now you mention it, yeah, it is odd! But wouldn't you be worried if some raving, bigoted fanatic had access to weapons of mass destruction?

And, you've repeatedly ignored the fact that the cliché of the U.S. President having a "button," or "nuclear codes," they can activate at their sole discretion, decision, and whim, on their own counsel alone, and with no failsafe or need of several counter-authorities and truly a big palaver is actually a "Hollywood fallacy," as you've repeated the idea several times now as though it were fact.

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

his bad relations with the CIA

He's "too smart for intelligence briefings." Mind you, not that I would trust or put much faith or stock in the advice of the CIA, myself, and they seem to constantly advise - and be chomping at the bit to commit and enable - monstrous international and domestic crimes off of embezzled taxpayers' money, but, pragmatically, such a public flip-off is very likely bad form.

Well despite the worst 2 weeks for any presidential candidate he appears to he near the margain of error in swing states. So theres that.

14 hours ago, Patine said:

And, you've repeatedly ignored the fact that the cliché of the U.S. President having a "button," or "nuclear codes," they can activate at their sole discretion, decision, and whim, on their own counsel alone, and with no failsafe or need of several counter-authorities and truly a big palaver is actually a "Hollywood fallacy," as you've repeated the idea several times now as though it were fact.

I mean, I know that, it depends on who the counter-authorities actually are.

On 6/16/2020 at 11:29 PM, billay said:

Well despite the worst 2 weeks for any presidential candidate he appears to he near the margain of error in swing states. So theres that.

New polls show him losing outside of the margain on error in swing states and Biden trending at or above 50%. That is not good for Trump. I dont think Clinton was ever at that point.

Biden is the only real chance Trump has. And trump has that chance. If he can just shut the hell up and do his presidential job, while biden continues to talk out of his ass, he may have a shot. 

1 minute ago, NYConservative said:

Biden is the only real chance Trump has. And trump has that chance. If he can just shut the hell up and do his presidential job, while biden continues to talk out of his ass, he may have a shot. 

Trump "shutting up and doing his Presidential job?" I think you mistaking him for somebody else...

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Trump "shutting up and doing his Presidential job?" I think you mistaking him for somebody else...

Heh. Funny joke right? Honestly if some holy intervention or shit like that happens, then he has a shot. But until God or Allah or whoever/whatever the hell a theist can believe in intervenes and makes him shut up, Trump is kinda bent over right now to Senor Dementia.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

1 hour ago, NYConservative said:

Heh. Funny joke right? Honestly if some holy intervention or shit like that happens, then he has a shot. But until God or Allah or whoever/whatever the hell a theist can believe in intervenes and makes him shut up, Trump is kinda bent over right now to Senor Dementia.

They are both equally incoherent. Both are on the clear mental and physical decline. Whomever opens their mouth the least will win. I think Biden can hold his mouth on occasion; Trump cannot. 

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

They are both equally incoherent. Both are on the clear mental and physical decline. Whomever opens their mouth the least will win. I think Biden can hold his mouth on occasion; Trump cannot. 

I personally think neither can shut their mouth, the only reason this election is an actual contest is because both talk out their ass for a living.

15 hours ago, vcczar said:

Whomever opens their mouth the least will win.

As true as this summary is, it's also a very sad fact about current American politics. Both nominees should actually be cheered for their statements and their vision for America. It's pretty awkward if their parties have to hide them from the people, just because they make one gaffe after the other. I mean, after one gets (re-)elected he'll have to do an important job (again). McAuliffe even defends Biden staying in the basement....

20 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

As true as this summary is, it's also a very sad fact about current American politics. Both nominees should actually be cheered for their statements and their vision for America. It's pretty awkward if their parties have to hide them from the people, just because they make one gaffe after the other. I mean, after one gets (re-)elected he'll have to do an important job (again). McAuliffe even defends Biden staying in the basement....

It is sad. This is two elections in a row with unacceptable candidate. 2012 actually seems like a real choice in hindsight. Although, I'd argue that last time there was a real choice was Eisenhower and Stevenson -- neither had extremist qualities and both seemed rational, trusted, experienced, and presidential.