270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
billay

Does Trump still have a chance at winning?

18 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Not sure how this connects with the point I was making ...

Your original point is unclear in intent, as well.

30 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Democracy doesn't work!

Nor do specific modern takes on tyranny in the long-term, in the vast majority of countries. However, given that Trump is NOT a Fascist or a Tyrant, just a narcissistic, arrogant loudmouth with an unrealistically high opinion of himself and significant skill in showmanship, neither standard can be used at all in this particular regard.

No, true. But if he loses, I'm still expecting him to run off with the nuclear football and hold us all hostage.

18 minutes ago, Wiw said:

No, true. But if he loses, I'm still expecting him to run off with the nuclear football and hold us all hostage.

Why does everyone actually believe the urban legend that U.S. President has "the button," or "the nuclear codes," to make launches at their discretion, decision, whim, with no other factors, fail-safes, counter-signs, releases, and, in big truth, a huge palaver, involved. Are people really that naïve and impressionable today. "The button," is pure Hollywood stuff.

6 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Well I know there's no button - just codes and some willing officers.

I really don't know if any officers of general rank who do not serve under some tinpot Third World regime for their whole career would actually enable a crybaby primadonna who lost an election to destroy the world out of spite. Such officers usually serve (at least in theory) to ensure a world worth living in carries on in existence. I'm sure @Actinguy would agree with this analysis.

3 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Oh, undeniably! But they can be easily replaced.

The U.S. President does demote, dismiss, and replace officers on his own counsel, or really at all. Dismissing and replacing (the latter with Senate approval) the Secretary of Defense - that's it. The big scene about a decade ago where Obama made the inauguration of that new Chief of the Joint-Chiefs-of-Staff (I can't remember his name - I believe he had the service nickname "Muddy Boots," that was mentioned) - in truth, I discovered Obama didn't actually choose him - a military commission did, and Obama just approved him and gave him a public coronation walk. But you're probably envisioning Idi Amin Dada lining up his generals at attention before him, taking out a Mauser, and shooting several for "failings," and invite slightly less ranked officers in the back row to take their place, and reminding them ominously not to be "as disappointing," as their predecessors. That's not how the American military works, and I highly doubt Trump has used a handgun with any competence or skill in his life...

1 hour ago, pilight said:

What do you think would work better?

I dunno, get a few scientists in a room and pick the best one?

37 minutes ago, Wiw said:

I dunno, get a few scientists in a room and pick the best one?

Who picks the scientists?  Which scientific disciplines are included?  What qualifications are required to be called a "scientist"?  How is the "best one" determined?

56 minutes ago, pilight said:

Who picks the scientists?  Which scientific disciplines are included?  What qualifications are required to be called a "scientist"?  How is the "best one" determined?

...the United Nations?

8 hours ago, Wiw said:

Democracy doesn't work!

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Churchill

Just now, admin_270 said:

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Churchill

I think Social Democracy with market capitalism might be the best form of government devised so far, but it is far from perfect. Pure Democracy could be arguably terrifying, depending on the public zeitgeist. 

1 hour ago, pilight said:

You want the UN to choose the US president?

The U.N. has a democratic form of government. So this wouldn't escape from democracy as @Wiw seems to want to do.

Oh, well, forget it then. I'd suggest direct referenda for everything, but then nothing would get done.

2 hours ago, Wiw said:

Oh, well, forget it then. I'd suggest direct referenda for everything, but then nothing would get done.

Maybe, Pericles' original polis Democracy on a mass scale?

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

The problem with that quote is that Churchill has already discounted all governments "that will be tried," - sight unseen - as falling into the same category versus Democracy as those already tried. A form of rhetorical defeatism and fatalism, in my opinion.

I’d say yes. Aspects of the economy are in recovery, which bodes well for November. Barring the continuation of riots for months and/or a resurgence of Covid his odds are 50/50 in my opinion.

Economy is king.

30 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

I’d say yes. Aspects of the economy are in recovery, which bodes well for November. Barring the continuation of riots for months and/or a resurgence of Covid his odds are 50/50 in my opinion.

Economy is king.

What if the economy is still well-below pre-Covid numbers, although improving from current numbers?

32 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

Economy is king.

"Blood makes poor mortar," Moses, as portrayed by Charleton Heston in "The 10 Commandments," when he was still in the role of an Egyptian Prince.

Basically, supporting the economy by unnecessary and callous death, or serious risk thereof, is tantamount to genocide ideology by another name and approach.

3 hours ago, Zenobiyl said:

Economy is king.

The economy is likely to take another dip when the rent forgiveness orders and the unemployment stimulus payments end next month.

4 hours ago, Zenobiyl said:

Economy is king.

In that case, we can pretty much kiss our butts goodbye!