270soft Forum

Political Issues Either/Or Poll

Political Issues Either/Or Poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. In most cases I side with the issue on the left over the issue on the right. [I know it might be hard, but you must pick a side.]

• Civil Rights over Civil Liberties
    • Labor Rights over Corporate Rights
    • Free Trade over Protectionism
    • Main Street over Wall Street
    • Globalism over Nationalism
    • Military non-interventionism over Military interventionism
    • Lenient immigration over strict immigration
    • Lenient drug laws over strict drug laws (War on Drugs)
    • Business regulations over business deregulations
    • Alternate energy over Oil & Gas
    • Small farmers over Corporate Farmers
    • universal healthcare over free market healthcare
    • Strict gun laws over lenient gun laws
    • Lenient abortion laws over strict abortion laws
    • Secular education over religious education
    • Public schools/universities over private schools/universities
    • Popular Vote over Electoral College
    • Wealth Tax over no-Wealth Tax
    • Pro-Science policies over Science-skeptic policies
    • Futurism over Traditionalism
    • I side entirely with the right side options.

Just a fun poll. For the most part, everything on the left is left-wing and everything on the right is right-wing. There is some gray area, however. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I side with everything on the left except free trade

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Just a fun poll. For the most part, everything on the left is left-wing and everything on the right is right-wing. There is some gray area, however. 

You have just outed yourself as a Neo-Manichaean computer code thinker! :P

"Only Sith think in absolutes," Obi-wan Kenobi, "Star Wars, Episode III, Revenge of the Sith."

Some of these choices are absolutely impossible and as John Mulaney would say "We don't have time to unpack everything there" in some of these issues. I am afraid that this poll is so black and white and the voting options are so loaded, I must pull a Patine here and refrain from voting. Even I have a limit! 😛

@Patine solidarity!

You know what though, I'll do you one better and just describe my allegiance to each issue with a short paragraph in order for you to be able to understand where I'm coming from @vcczar.

10 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Some of these choices are absolutely impossible and as John Mulaney would say "We don't have time to unpack everything there" in some of these issues. I am afraid that this poll is so black and white and the voting options are so loaded, I must pull a Patine here and refrain from voting. Even I have a limit! 😛

@Patine solidarity!

That why it is called an "either/or poll". It is a black and white poll. If you had a gun to your head, and had to pick one to support across the board, which would it be? That's the purpose of the poll. I'll tag @Patine here. 

Just now, vcczar said:

That why it is called an "either/or poll". It is a black and white poll. If you had a gun to your head, and had to pick one to support across the board, which would it be? That's the purpose of the poll. I'll tag @Patine here. 

Ok I'll both do your poll and then double back and do my thing. Happy now?😉

In most scenarios I side with the right-side of the topics, but there are some which are not contradicting themselves in my opinion. Since a long time I try to promote a nationalist and globalist platform at the same time in which one field enhances the other to move nations forward. I think strong patriotism combined with international cooperation in economical and security matters could work very well. 

Same goes for me with futurism and traditionalism. I think one can promote family-values, going to church etc., while still thinking we are in need of more Elon Musks. 

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

If I had a gun to my head, I'd consider whether living in such an extreme, wonky world would even be worth it, especially if part of the blame could be laid at my feet. I'm sorry, though I've tried to humour your odder polls more than before, this one would utterly break conviction and sense.

2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

In most scenarios I side with the right-side of the topics, but there are some which are not contradicting themselves in my opinion. Since a long time I try to promote a nationalist and globalist platform at the same time in which one field enhances the other to move nations forward. I think strong patriotism combined with international cooperation in economical and security matters could work very well. 

Same goes for me with futurism and traditionalism. I think one can promote family-values, going to church etc., while still thinking we are in need of more Elon Musks. 

In America, you'd align more with Bush-Cheney neocons, I think. They're pretty much that. That's the dying breed of Republicanism that has to decide between Biden and Trump. 

Just now, Patine said:

If I had a gun to my head, I'd consider whether living in such an extreme, wonky world would even be worth it, especially if part of the blame could be laid at my feet. I'm sorry, though I've tried to humour your odder polls more than before, this one would utterly break conviction and sense.

That's fine then, so let me ask this, which of these are you most conflicted about? 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

In America, you'd align more with Bush-Cheney neocons, I think. They're pretty much that. That's the dying breed of Republicanism that has to decide between Biden and Trump. 

I am glad you agree on that. There's a reason I call Bush my most favorite politician, although having some flaws as well. I'd still argue four more years of Trump offers more to this breed (VP Pence, judges etc.).

I also see the problem of the declining trend of this certain ideologies as politics gets heated up more and more. In Austria or Europe it might be even more rare to find something like that. I'd say the British Tories may be the party which comes closest.

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Cheney endorsed Trump in 2016.

Just now, admin_270 said:

Liz Cheney also endorsed Trump in 2016.

Liz Cheney is very different from Dick Cheney.

Cheney endorsed Trump in 2016.

That's true. Many neocons did. They had to choose beteen Clinton and Trump. Now they have to choose between Biden and Trump. 

My impression is that the fluidity here isn't that large at the present moment. Most Bush-Cheney types have already settled into either supporting Trump or being advocates of Biden's candidacy (perhaps even making the difference between him and Sanders in the Dem nomination).

Seems implausible to me that Dick Cheney would switch in 2020. Perhaps I'll be surprised.

He was really hesitent in endorsing Trump. He said publicly that he was supporting the Republican nominee and not Donald Trump. So he'll probably still endorse the Republicans unless the last 4 years proved to him that his party is dead. :

7 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Dick Cheney has already helped Trump with a fundraiser in the 2020 cycle.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dick-cheney-set-to-headline-trump-fundraiser-in-wyoming-on-monday

Hmm. Maybe he's just helping his daughter by doing that. Alternatively, he might not consider his differences with Trump as being significant. 

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Hmm. Maybe he's just helping his daughter by doing that. Alternatively, he might not consider his differences with Trump as being significant. 

I think it's because Trump has largely consolidated support within the Republican party. Republican party approval of Trump is 92% according to latest Gallup, which is roughly as high as it's been for Trump re Gallup (93%).

https://news.gallup.com/interactives/185273/presidential-job-approval-center.aspx