Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Obama, not Biden, is the Democratic Party Leader

Recommended Posts

I think the commencement speeches, and the fact that Obama is the prime focus for Trump throughout his presidency, highlights the fact that Obama, and not Biden, is the party leader. Obama is much more vocal in 2020, than he was in 2016, possibly because he didn't want to overshadow Hillary Clinton. I think Dems realize they need him to overshadow Biden. The 2020 election will be Obama vs. Trump, even if he isn't on the ticket, is my guess. I think this is actually good for Democrats, especially considering Biden is a rather lackluster candidate because of his age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think the commencement speeches, and the fact that Obama is the prime focus for Trump throughout his presidency, highlights the fact that Obama, and not Biden, is the party leader. Obama is much more vocal in 2020, than he was in 2016, possibly because he didn't want to overshadow Hillary Clinton. I think Dems realize they need him to overshadow Biden. The 2020 election will be Obama vs. Trump, even if he isn't on the ticket, is my guess. I think this is actually good for Democrats, especially considering Biden is a rather lackluster candidate because of his age. 

Do you think Obama will get a cabinet position? 
how many former presidents had cabinet positions later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Do you think Obama will get a cabinet position? 
how many former presidents had cabinet positions later?

No and none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Do you think Obama will get a cabinet position? 
how many former presidents had cabinet positions later?

I can't think of any. Though, during the 2016 Primary season, I used to quip about Jeb Bush, if he had been elected, giving his big brother Defense or State, but that was only a half-serious, critical, and caustic comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

No and none.

I saw alot of talk of Biden appointing him to the supreme court, I believe he may of even said he would. But alas, that isn't cabinet,.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/31/politics/biden-obama-supreme-court-trnd/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I saw alot of talk of Biden appointing him to the supreme court, I believe he may of even said he would. But alas, that isn't cabinet,.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/31/politics/biden-obama-supreme-court-trnd/index.html

Obama would only take Chief Justice. 

FYI:

JQ Adams was a US Rep after his presidency. Washington was the senior general again. John Tyler was a Confederate Senator but died before he took office. Andrew Johnson was a US Senator afterwards. Taft was ChJ. Washington is the only two term president to serve after his presidency. Ford considered being Reagan's VP when asked, but he said he would only if it were a co-presidency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Obama would only take Chief Justice. 

FYI:

JQ Adams was a US Rep after his presidency. Washington was the senior general again. John Tyler was a Confederate Senator but died before he took office. Andrew Johnson was a US Senator afterwards. Taft was ChJ. Washington is the only two term president to serve after his presidency. Ford considered being Reagan's VP when asked, but he said he would only if it were a co-presidency. 

Oh wow interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2016, Hillary essentially ran as a third term of Obama and I had attributed that as to one of the reasons she didn't win. People wanted bold ideas and real change, and Hillary wasn't proposing that, instead more of the same policies we saw the past 8 years.

With Biden, he's basically saying let's go back to the Obama years. If this were a normal election, I would say democrats were in trouble because that is not the message to get them to win. But these are not normal times, the economy is in shambles and a pandemic is raging while the President spews conspiracies and mismanages the country. I think this country finds it very refreshing to hear from Obama and remember that when he was in office times were much better. So I agree, having Obama overshadow Biden is a good thing for them. If you asked me that last year though I probably would have said the opposite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vcczar said:

No and none.

Hoover had a kind of office in the federal administration but not within the cabinet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Can a former President become Vice President?

The 12th Amendment says "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."  So a former president can be VP unless they've already served two terms.  Jimmy Carter could be VP, Barack Obama cannot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wiw said:

Can a former President become Vice President?

 

30 minutes ago, pilight said:

The 12th Amendment says "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."  So a former president can be VP unless they've already served two terms.  Jimmy Carter could be VP, Barack Obama cannot.

What's odd is that some Constitutional scholars have made the argument that he still could be the VP despite what the Constitution says, but it seems pretty clear to me that he cannot be. 

5 hours ago, Edouard said:

Hoover had a kind of office in the federal administration but not within the cabinet

That's right, but that doesn't really count. That was just sort of a special commission, a temporary position. It's akin to sending former presidents as diplomats, except domestic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Michelle is going to be VP this is a waste of time. Biden is going to have to win it himself and part of that strategy will be appeal to blacks. His interview with Charlemagne was a disaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billay said:

Unless Michelle is going to be VP this is a waste of time. Biden is going to have to win it himself and part of that strategy will be appeal to blacks. His interview with Charlemagne was a disaster. 

But, do you REALLY think, at the end of the day, even with all of Biden's gaffes in this area, the majority of African-American voters will actually line up to vote for Trump instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Patine said:

But, do you REALLY think, at the end of the day, even with all of Biden's gaffes in this area, the majority of African-American voters will actually line up to vote for Trump instead?

They won't vote for Trump, but if Biden continues to shoot himself in the foot and unable to defend his record, a notable chunk of them could end up staying home come election day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 8:49 AM, vcczar said:

 

What's odd is that some Constitutional scholars have made the argument that he still could be the VP despite what the Constitution says, but it seems pretty clear to me that he cannot be. 

That's right, but that doesn't really count. That was just sort of a special commission, a temporary position. It's akin to sending former presidents as diplomats, except domestic. 

Hoover served as Secretary of Commerce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Hoover served as Secretary of Commerce.

Yes but two things. That was before the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 and Cabinet Secretaries are exempted from the same requirements as President. For example, Elaine Chao, a naturally born Taiwanese citizen, is not eligible for President. Naturally, she is not in the line of succession. The Vice President, however, must, by virtue of his office be in the line of succession. Therefore, by the guidelines laid down by Congress and the Constitution, the VP must be eligible for the Presidency and therefore Obama is ineligible.

@vcczar Just confirming what you said earlier, figure I'd ping you as you'd be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yes but two things. That was before the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 and Cabinet Secretaries are exempted from the same requirements as President. For example, Elaine Chao, a naturally born Taiwanese citizen, is not eligible for President. Naturally, she is not in the line of succession. The Vice President, however, must, by virtue of his office be in the line of succession. Therefore, by the guidelines laid down by Congress and the Constitution, the VP must be eligible for the Presidency and therefore Obama is ineligible.

@vcczar Just confirming what you said earlier, figure I'd ping you as you'd be interested.

Just curious - can the House of Representatives elect a Speaker (next in line after the VP) who is, themselves, ineligible? I know a number of sitting members right now are ineligible, due to age or country of birth as is - from both parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Just curious - can the House of Representatives elect a Speaker (next in line after the VP) who is, themselves, ineligible? I know a number of sitting members right now are ineligible, due to age or country of birth as is - from both parties.

Yes! Great question. The Speaker can be legally removed from the line of succession. The only one who can't is the person who is first (the VP). In that case, say, Salud Carbajal (California Congressman originally of Mexican citizenship), were elected Speaker, he would be removed from the line of succession just as Elain Chao was. Essentially, ever office which succeeds to the Presidency as established by the Succession Act of 1947 can be filled by a non-eligible. The only office which cannot be is that of Vice President, because it is constitutionally mandated as such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yes! Great question. The Speaker can be legally removed from the line of succession. The only one who can't is the person who is first (the VP). In that case, say, Salud Carbajal (California Congressman originally of Mexican citizenship), were elected Speaker, he would be removed from the line of succession just as Elain Chao was. Essentially, ever office which succeeds to the Presidency as established by the Succession Act of 1947 can be filled by a non-eligible. The only office which cannot be is that of Vice President, because it is constitutionally mandated as such.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the legal requirements to be elected to the House of Representatives are the same as those to actually be a voter in the State one is running in (maybe a higher residency requirement in the Congressional District one is running in, but I'm not even sure about that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the legal requirements to be elected to the House of Representatives are the same as those to actually be a voter in the State one is running in (maybe a higher residency requirement in the Congressional District one is running in, but I'm not even sure about that).

the only difference being the age requirement of 25 instead of 18 as well as the 7 year residence in state requirement. There is no district residence requirement in most states though I believe some have them. Not as sure on that last point however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Hoover served as Secretary of Commerce.

That was before he was president 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 2:22 AM, Patine said:

But, do you REALLY think, at the end of the day, even with all of Biden's gaffes in this area, the majority of African-American voters will actually line up to vote for Trump instead?

Can Trump get 1-2% more of the African American vote? Maybe but that's not his game or the Republican playbook. They've lost the popular vote in what 6 out of the last 7 presidential elections or something like that. Their goal will be to suppress the vote. That's why you'll see the Hunter Biden investigation ramp up this summer, along with 40 years of Biden gaffes. Will it be enough? I wouldnt bet on it unless COVID isnt as big of an issue and/or the economy rebounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, billay said:

COVID isnt as big of an issue

You do know that the initial fallacy and hoodwink that Trump had somehow responded "well" to COVID 19, or that all good response measures were due to various State Governors, is rapidly being disapated by those enough believed it in the first place, except maybe his core of drooling, Kool-Aid-drinking sycophants - but their vote is set anyways. COVID 19 still being an issue in November would almost certainly HURT Trump, not benefit him - and certainly wouldn't a comparable situation to the economy rebounding (which, itself, might not even guarantee his re-election).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...