270soft Forum
Zenobiyl

General Tips

I’ve been playing for a while now, and I’ve picked up some tips that make winning elections much easier, and can even make 3rd party candidates viable given enough time. I do this without wasting time on lots of micro or infrastructure, since that shit is boring. Here are my tips for winning elections consistently.

1. CP and SP

Command Points and Spin Points are the most vital aspects of the game, because they allow you to increase your momentum in unique ways. Before running any events, your highest priority should be maxing out your campaign’s Command and Spin Values to level 10. Compared to a 5 Command 5 Spin Character, a 10 Command 10 Spin character can do twice as much in the same timespan, and can boost twice as many stories. Spin your stories to be more momentum, and you will see your momentum snowball week after week.

2. Issue Knowledge and Debate Prep

If you though debating was only for debates, you are sorely mistaken. Debating and Issue Knowledge can be used to boost interviews and policy speeches as well. At 10 debate and 10 issue knowledge interviews and policy speeches are free momentum, and can be spammed to begin a snowball. Combined with 10 Spin, these interviews and policy speeches can allow a skilled player to regularly get 30-100 momentum every week without any ads or rallies. Train up to lvl 10 and max out lvl 10. It will stay maxed if you hit the limit.

3. Surrogates

Surrogates are complete trash except for spinning. As a result, only pick surrogates with huge spin values or lots of action points. Save them for big events, like winning a debate or state primary, then dump them to get a 100% spin chance. 

4. Ads

Ads are essentially rallies you do when you’re out of Command Points. Make them for the US (Can be applied to states, but not the other way around). Stockpile them for major events, or if you can’t rally in a swing state. Web ads are basically free, so pick those as a newbie. Once you have money, pick newspaper. Pick TV when you have millions to spend.

5. Rallies

Rallies are the best tool in the game for boosting momentum, since they stack to allow OP snowball effects. As a result, the best places to rally are places where you have high momentum. Use the momentum map mode to find these states. States with other players in the negative for momentum are even better, as they will have a hard time poaching votes from you. If you have negative momentum in a state, avoid rallies. Use ads to get the ball rolling, then send in the rally machine. Send your VP on 2-3 rallies in a state, as they can generate a news story for momentum.

6. Barnstorms

Barnstorms are cheaper rallies. Use them when you need to spread yourself thin

6.5 Rally or Ad?

It is very tough for a newer player to weight the value of ads against the value of rallies, since both do the same thing. In essence, ads are controlled rallies that cost money instead of CP. Ads aren't affected by your momentum, or the momentum of your opponent. This means ads are vital in states where you have low or negative momentum, but mediocre at best in states with positive momentum. If you have momentum over 3-4 in a state, a rally will almost always be more momentum than a rally. Rallies (and barnstorms) have their power modified by your momentum, so although they are cheaper they depend upon a "snowball" effect.

For example, if you win a debate or major primary, rallies will be far better than an ad. However, you will need to rally every turn to keep the "snowball" rolling. Although riskier, this snowballing can lead to broken amounts of momentum.

For another example, if you get hit with a gaffe or scandal that drops your momentum below 0, rallies will likely give 0 or negative power. Ads are vital in this case.

7. Policy speeches

Policy speeches give good momentum if your issue knowledge is high (some RNG). Do them as often as you can, but only one per day. 

8. Scandals

Scandals are useful to turn voters for your enemy into undecideds. Stockpile 3 smalls or 2 mediums, and unleash. If the scandal is big enough, it will last through the week and you can spin it in the state view to make it worse (or play in day by day mode if you like micro). Use attack ads and attack rallies to combo with scandals. Strong attacks can knock someone below -10 momentum, and destroy their polling. This is VITAL for a third party candidate to gain any traction.

9. Farm PIPS.

Yes, you can farm PIPS. Offer cabinet slots to other players, then demand 1-2 PIPS in return. When you run out of Command Points, simply queue an activity and it will reset. 

10. Endorsers.

Only pick endorsers with many stars and potential surrogate. Exception if they give money. Avoid wasting PIPS, since their affinity will tick up passively over time. When primary opponents drop out, get them to endorse through the endorsement tab. This will give you their delegates, which is vital to winning a contested convention.

11. Infrastructure (EDIT)

After looking into infastructure some more, I've found it has much more value than I initially gave it. I usually snowball without it, but it makes snowballing much easier in states. Infastructure is most useful (in my experience) in the first 4 primary states, swing states with negative momentum (and swing states in general), and the "big four" of texas, california, new york, and florida. 

Targeting amplifies momentum, and should be done for states you will rally in frequently. This is the most expensive in terms of CP, and should be done only for states you will rally in often. [By my estimate, rallying ~6 times pays off the momentum cost of targeting].

HQ is my favorite infastructure because it is the cheapest in CP, and has the most overall benefit. HQ makes rallies, ads, and fundraisers more effective. It makes other infastructure better, like ground support. Any state that is ~5% should have HQ, and HQ should be maxed in the "big four", to increase fundraising potential.

Ground Support is very useful for amplifying ads and rallies, but is much more costly in terms of CP. Only put these in swing states, and only put them down when you have CP to spare.

Most importantly, put down infa as early as you can, because the benefits multiply over time.

12. Platform

Modify your platform around your strategy. 3rd party go centrist to poach voters from both sides. Under 1% in primary change platform to Iowa. Running in general appeal to swing states. For Theme pick issue knowledge, then two key issues that are high profile and appeal to the states you want. Use the platform tab to see a state’s views. Change platform early to maximize effect of rallies and ads. Only 2-3 changes needed on high profile issues, the rest can be changed to make attack ads less effective.

12. Random Tips: Fundraise in California, Texas, and New York every other turn. If the money is significantly lower, wait a week and try again. Those states are almost always the most money.

13. Worthless Stuff: Spies, Insight Researching, Attacking in debates (Backfires often and doesn’t maximize score even in 1v1 debate), Far-Left/Far-Right platform

14. Primary Meta

The primary is IMO easy mode for new players. Picking up votes is easier, you have more time, and winning the first 4 states is nearly always a free win (unless you run against an incumbent or hillary 2016)

Spam debate prep and issue knowledge to 10 for winning debates. Focus EVERYTHING on Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina. Build infa in california and texas. Get the others to endorse you for delegates.

15. General Meta

The general election is much more difficult, but with the right knowledge you can win as the underdog, or even 3rd party! The general has very few undecideds, which is VITAL to understand for your strategy. Promoting yourself in rallies wont mean jack shit if people already support someone else. Whenever you do a rally somewhere, you must do an attack ad or attack rally on your opponent FIRST. You must get your opponents to negative momentum to turn their votes into undecideds, then turn those undecideds into your voters. By comboing attack rallies with promotion rallies you can at times flip over 5% of voters in a state! Do ~12 rallies in swing states each week, then do any other rallies in states under 5% for maintaining your votes. Your goal should be tanking your opponent's momentum while increasing your own. (when scheduling rallies, schedule the attacks a day before the promotion rallies).

Third party is EXTREMELY hard mode, essentially the 2nd hardest playthrough in the game (behind only one other that I will mention in a separate forum post). To win, you must max out CP and Spin early, Focus on flipping the 10 Biggest States, Make your platform centrist, and do constant interviews and policy speeches to win. I have only won as third party ONCE as a libertarian in 2016, and even that was only with 282. In that game, I got 60-80 momentum avg. nationwide every WEEK and still only barely squeaked by. That should give you an idea of how insanely difficult winning with 270 is. (This doesn't include 1912 and 1992 starts for obvious reasons)

RECAP: Max CP and SP, Get Spin Surrogates, Change platform to appeal to states you wanna win, Rally all the fucking time, Run ads when you can’t rally, get rich endorsers or delegate endorsers, Max out issue knowledge and debating, give interviews and policy speeches every week, Spin your own stories to get more momentum, build infrastructure, win.

Great pointers. There is more than many ways to win! @admin_270 put a lot of thought and detail into the infrastructure. so lot of ways to win/overperform

Everything is great, except for the infrastructure part. It's a great help, specially if you have negative momentum on an important state. 

On 4/4/2020 at 7:40 AM, Zenobiyl said:

I’ve been playing for a while now, and I’ve picked up some tips that make winning elections much easier, and can even make 3rd party candidates viable given enough time. I do this without wasting time on lots of micro or infrastructure, since that shit is boring. Here are my tips for winning elections consistently.

1. CP and SP

Command Points and Spin Points are the most vital aspects of the game, because they allow you to increase your momentum in unique ways. Before running any events, your highest priority should be maxing out your campaign’s Command and Spin Values to level 10. Compared to a 5 Command 5 Spin Character, a 10 Command 10 Spin character can do twice as much in the same timespan, and can boost twice as many stories. Spin your stories to be more momentum, and you will see your momentum snowball week after week.

If you though debating was only for debates, you are sorely mistaken. Debating and Issue Knowledge can be used to boost interviews and policy speeches as well. At 10 debate and 10 issue knowledge interviews and policy speeches are free momentum, and can be spammed to begin a snowball. Combined with 10 Spin, these interviews and policy speeches can allow a skilled player to regularly get 30-100 momentum every week without any ads or rallies. Train up to lvl 10 and max out lvl 10. It will stay maxed if you hit the limit.

3. Surrogates

Surrogates are complete trash except for spinning. As a result, only pick surrogates with huge spin values or lots of action points. Save them for big events, like winning a debate or state primary, then dump them to get a 100% spin chance. 

4. Ads

Ads are essentially rallies you do when you’re out of Command Points. Make them for the US (Can be applied to states, but not the other way around). Stockpile them for major events, or if you can’t rally in a swing state. Web ads are basically free, so pick those as a newbie. Once you have money, pick newspaper. Pick TV when you have millions to spend.

5. Rallies

Rallies are the best tool in the game for boosting momentum, since they stack to allow OP snowball effects. As a result, the best places to rally are places where you have high momentum. Use the momentum map mode to find these states. States with other players in the negative for momentum are even better, as they will have a hard time poaching votes from you. If you have negative momentum in a state, avoid rallies. Use ads to get the ball rolling, then send in the rally machine. Send your VP on 2-3 rallies in a state, as they can generate a news story for momentum.

6. Barnstorms

6.5 Rally or Ad?

It is very tough for a newer player to weight the value of ads against the value of rallies, since both do the same thing. In essence, ads are controlled rallies that cost money instead of CP. Ads aren't affected by your momentum, or the momentum of your opponent. This means ads are vital in states where you have low or negative momentum, but mediocre at best in states with positive momentum. If you have momentum over 3-4 in a state, a rally will almost always be more momentum than a rally. Rallies (and barnstorms) have their power modified by your momentum, so although they are cheaper they depend upon a "snowball" effect.

For example, if you win a debate or major primary, rallies will be far better than an ad. However, you will need to rally every turn to keep the "snowball" rolling. Although riskier, this snowballing can lead to broken amounts of momentum.

For another example, if you get hit with a gaffe or scandal that drops your momentum below 0, rallies will likely give 0 or negative power. Ads are vital in this case.

7. Policy speeches

Policy speeches give good momentum if your issue knowledge is high (some RNG). Do them as often as you can, but only one per day. 

8. Scandals

Scandals are useful to turn voters for your enemy into undecideds. Stockpile 3 smalls or 2 mediums, and unleash. If the scandal is big enough, it will last through the week and you can spin it in the state view to make it worse (or play in day by day mode if you like micro). Use attack ads and attack rallies to combo with scandals. Strong attacks can knock someone below -10 momentum, and destroy their polling. This is VITAL for a third party candidate to gain any traction.

9. Farm PIPS.

Yes, you can farm PIPS. Offer cabinet slots to other players, then demand 1-2 PIPS in return. When you run out of Command Points, simply queue an activity and it will reset. 

10. Endorsers.

Only pick endorsers with many stars and potential surrogate. Exception if they give money. Avoid wasting PIPS, since their affinity will tick up passively over time. When primary opponents drop out, get them to endorse through the endorsement tab. This will give you their delegates, which is vital to winning a contested convention.

After looking into infastructure some more, I've found it has much more value than I initially gave it. I usually snowball without it, but it makes snowballing much easier in states. Infastructure is most useful (in my experience) in the first 4 primary states, swing states with negative momentum (and swing states in general), and the "big four" of texas, california, new york, and florida. 

Targeting amplifies momentum, and should be done for states you will rally in frequently. This is the most expensive in terms of CP, and should be done only for states you will rally in often. [By my estimate, rallying ~6 times pays off the momentum cost of targeting].

HQ is my favorite infastructure because it is the cheapest in CP, and has the most overall benefit. HQ makes rallies, ads, and fundraisers more effective. It makes other infastructure better, like ground support. Any state that is ~5% should have HQ, and HQ should be maxed in the "big four", to increase fundraising potential.

Ground Support is very useful for amplifying ads and rallies, but is much more costly in terms of CP. Only put these in swing states, and only put them down when you have CP to spare.

Most importantly, put down infa as early as you can, because the benefits multiply over time.

12. Platform

Modify your platform around your strategy. 3rd party go centrist to poach voters from both sides. Under 1% in primary change platform to Iowa. Running in general appeal to swing states. For Theme pick issue knowledge, then two key issues that are high profile and appeal to the states you want. Use the platform tab to see a state’s views. Change platform early to maximize effect of rallies and ads. Only 2-3 changes needed on high profile issues, the rest can be changed to make attack ads less effective.

12. Random Tips: Fundraise in California, Texas, and New York every other turn. If the money is significantly lower, wait a week and try again. Those states are almost always the most money.

13. Worthless Stuff: Spies, Insight Researching, Attacking in debates (Backfires often and doesn’t maximize score even in 1v1 debate), Far-Left/Far-Right platform

14. Primary Meta

The primary is IMO easy mode for new players. Picking up votes is easier, you have more time, and winning the first 4 states is nearly always a free win (unless you run against an incumbent or hillary 2016)

Spam debate prep and issue knowledge to 10 for winning debates. Focus EVERYTHING on Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina. Build infa in california and texas. Get the others to endorse you for delegates.

15. General Meta

The general election is much more difficult, but with the right knowledge you can win as the underdog, or even 3rd party! The general has very few undecideds, which is VITAL to understand for your strategy. Promoting yourself in rallies wont mean jack shit if people already support someone else. Whenever you do a rally somewhere, you must do an attack ad or attack rally on your opponent FIRST. You must get your opponents to negative momentum to turn their votes into undecideds, then turn those undecideds into your voters. By comboing attack rallies with promotion rallies you can at times flip over 5% of voters in a state! Do ~12 rallies in swing states each week, then do any other rallies in states under 5% for maintaining your votes. Your goal should be tanking your opponent's momentum while increasing your own. (when scheduling rallies, schedule the attacks a day before the promotion rallies).

Third party is EXTREMELY hard mode, essentially the 2nd hardest playthrough in the game (behind only one other that I will mention in a separate forum post). To win, you must max out CP and Spin early, Focus on flipping the 10 Biggest States, Make your platform centrist, and do constant interviews and policy speeches to win. I have only won as third party ONCE as a libertarian in 2016, and even that was only with 282. In that game, I got 60-80 momentum avg. nationwide every WEEK and still only barely squeaked by. That should give you an idea of how insanely difficult winning with 270 is. (This doesn't include 1912 and 1992 starts for obvious reasons)

RECAP: Max CP and SP, Get Spin Surrogates, Change platform to appeal to states you wanna win, Rally all the fucking time, Run ads when you can’t rally, get rich endorsers or delegate endorsers, Max out issue knowledge and debating, give interviews and policy speeches every week, Spin your own stories to get more momentum, build infrastructure, win.

i get alot momentum in a state like +20 and campaign and its like 30% undecided, and next week i am only gone up 1% in the state. and canditates with less monumentum in the state has gone up way more.  using adds and eveything, am i doing anything wrong?

On 5/26/2020 at 5:06 PM, Twix1010 said:

i get alot momentum in a state like +20 and campaign and its like 30% undecided, and next week i am only gone up 1% in the state. and canditates with less monumentum in the state has gone up way more.  using adds and eveything, am i doing anything wrong?

i think thats kinda normal, but idk considering I just make some shitty scenarios here and there and then play it like twice

this is really helpful, I wish more people would add their tips as well. Anyone have any other links?

The general election is sooo much more difficult than primaries, especially having to micromanage both the President AND VP plus ads etc 

On 4/3/2020 at 10:40 PM, Zenobiyl said:

1. CP and SP

3. Surrogates

4. Ads

5. Rallies

6. Barnstorms

6.5 Rally or Ad?

7. Policy speeches

8. Scandals

9. Farm PIPS.

10. Endorsers.

12. Platform

14. Primary Meta

15. General Meta

Thanks! I will give this a try!

On 4/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, admin_270 said:

Awesome! I have a feeling I would lose if I played against you. 😀

Does that mean we're getting head-to-head play? :)