270soft Forum

1930,1932 Germany Federal Elections

Hello all-I have somebody to make the map for this election,and am excited to announce I will be making it.

I will be using P.I for it,I am just deciding how to do the seats, If anyone has suggestions on how candidates should be ranked, issues that should be in it (I will need help with issues and views for candidates but can do everything else) I would greatly appreciate it!

@Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @vcczar @Actinguy @Reagan04 @WVProgressive @CentristGuy @MBDemSoc

You'd probably have a lot more success and more fun doing the 1932 Presidential election, though I'm not sure how the game would handle the multiple round system. As for Candidates you've got four in contention.

Paul von Hindenberg, the incumbent President endorsed by the by basically every non-Nazi group that wasn't the Stahlhelm (Who weren't even anti-Nazi, more Nazi-ambivalent) and the KPD, who is by far the strongest candidate in terms of sheer vote share, money, name recognition, and personal popularity.

Adolf Hitler, the NSDAP's candidate, historical second place finisher and future chancellor of Germany/worst thing to happen to Germany since the black plague.

Ernst Thalmann, the KPD's candidate, here to try and split the vote so the people have to chose between Communism and Nazism (No prizes for guessing how that turned out)

Theodor Dusterberg, the Stahlhelm candidate and initial rival to the NSDAP, only to collapse in ignominy when the NSDAP revealed he had jewish ancestry. This completely destroyed his credibility in the eyes of the German far-right, and he withdrew from the second round. 

42 minutes ago, PunPun said:

You'd probably have a lot more success and more fun doing the 1932 Presidential election, though I'm not sure how the game would handle the multiple round system. As for Candidates you've got four in contention.

Paul von Hindenberg, the incumbent President endorsed by the by basically every non-Nazi group that wasn't the Stahlhelm (Who weren't even anti-Nazi, more Nazi-ambivalent) and the KPD, who is by far the strongest candidate in terms of sheer vote share, money, name recognition, and personal popularity.

Adolf Hitler, the NSDAP's candidate, historical second place finisher and future chancellor of Germany/worst thing to happen to Germany since the black plague.

Ernst Thalmann, the KPD's candidate, here to try and split the vote so the people have to chose between Communism and Nazism (No prizes for guessing how that turned out)

Theodor Dusterberg, the Stahlhelm candidate and initial rival to the NSDAP, only to collapse in ignominy when the NSDAP revealed he had jewish ancestry. This completely destroyed his credibility in the eyes of the German far-right, and he withdrew from the second round. 

I will instead do this-Thank you :) and I think I can use the polling system for head 2 head match-ups 

How would you think each of these parties would match head 2 head vs each party?

I will just make it a two round system 

I can also just make it ranked choice voting

4 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Hello all-I have somebody to make the map for this election,and am excited to announce I will be making it.

I will be using P.I for it,I am just deciding how to do the seats, If anyone has suggestions on how candidates should be ranked, issues that should be in it (I will need help with issues and views for candidates but can do everything else) I would greatly appreciate it!

@Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @vcczar @Actinguy @Reagan04 @WVProgressive @CentristGuy @MBDemSoc

The Weimar Republic elections are on my docket too, actually. But please don't use PI. That's clumsy as Hell, and not truly how the electoral system worked. Plus, in Weimar Republics, the number of parties who even got seats in a given election was often between 20-30 - the number running was FAR greater. Also, PI doesn't account for the Coalition Governments that were needed to be formed in EVER Weimar Republic election except the last one (March 1933), but only because by that Hindenburg had been convinced by von Papen to appoint Hitler Chancellor for "stability,' and a mostly Nazi Cabinet, with only a very few non-Nazis (the Nazis only had 33.7% of the vote, even at that late point). Every other Government formed in the whole of the Weimar was a coalition, and often not one with much strength. This doesn't work AT ALL in the PI game mechanics. I plan on using K4E, and I advise anyone else interested in these scenarios, and any other using MMP or PR electoral mechanics to do so, until Anthony coughs up an Infinity game engine upgraded version of an MMP/PR election system presentation.

In any head to head Hindenburg is the strongest candidate, mostly because even at this stage there was a shrinking but still substantial portion of the German population that was terrified of Hitler and would vote for anyone short of Satan himself(or Ernst Thalmann), but you'd probably want to have the big industrialists as endorsers as they were the ones who underwrote the campaigns, and were a big part of Hitler doing so much better in the second round.

33 minutes ago, PunPun said:

In any head to head Hindenburg is the strongest candidate, mostly because even at this stage there was a shrinking but still substantial portion of the German population that was terrified of Hitler and would vote for anyone short of Satan himself(or Ernst Thalmann), but you'd probably want to have the big industrialists as endorsers as they were the ones who underwrote the campaigns, and were a big part of Hitler doing so much better in the second round.

If you're doing the two Presidential elections of the Weimar Republic, which were quite dull and non-competitive. The Reichstag elections was where the real action was, and all true students of Weimar politics always give them far greater priority and bandwidth - and they well earned such as the fate of the republic and the parties that more or less supported it - the German People's Party, the German Democratic Party (later German State Party), the Centre Party, and the Social Democratic Party - vs. the parties that wanted to destroy and dismantle it entirely - the German National People's Party, who wanted to re-install the pre-1918 German Empire of the Kaisers and created by Bismarck, the Communist Party of Germany, who loyally towed Stalin and the Comintern's line in Moscow, the theocratic Christian Social People's Service Party, the various regional, ethnic minority, and State secessionist and hard autonomy parties, the militant and far-right-wing, but splintered Volkische and Landsbund parties, the disgruntled WW1 veteran party (Stahlhelm) and, of course, the Nazis - truly played out in the Reichstag elections and were only seen in their most superficial and rudimentary level in the Presidential elections. If one is going to take on Weimar Republic election scenarios, the Reichstag elections are the sensible way to go to truly invoke the situation.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

If you're doing the two Presidential elections of the Weimar Republic, which were quite dull and non-competitive. The Reichstag elections was where the real action was, and all true students of Weimar politics always give them far greater priority and bandwidth - and they well earned such as the fate of the republic and the parties that more or less supported it - the German People's Party, the German Democratic Party (later German State Party), the Centre Party, and the Social Democratic Party - vs. the parties that wanted to destroy and dismantle it entirely - the German National People's Party, who wanted to re-install the pre-1918 German Empire of the Kaisers and created by Bismarck, the Communist Party of Germany, who loyally towed Stalin and the Comintern's line in Moscow, the theocratic Christian Social People's Service Party, the various regional, ethnic minority, and State secessionist and hard autonomy parties, the militant and far-right-wing, but splintered Volkische and Landsbund parties, the disgruntled WW1 veteran party (Stahlhelm) and, of course, the Nazis - truly played out in the Reichstag elections and were only seen in their most superficial and rudimentary level in the Presidential elections. If one is going to take on Weimar Republic election scenarios, the Reichstag elections are the sensible way to go to truly invoke the situation.

I would argue the 1925 Presidential election, where the KPD threw it to Hindenberg because defeating 'social fascism' was more important than 'actual fascism' was one of the most fascinating and closely run elections in the Republic's history, given it was just a handful of points between Wilhelm Marx, the Weimar Coalition candidate, and Hindenberg, the 'broad right' candidate. 

Making the proportional system work in anything but Chancellor Forever (which is very old and not super intuitive to play imo) is basically a non-starter as CI and PMI both can't handle PR style elections, and would likely explode if you tried to bodge a solution as far as I'm aware. But then, I'm not a coder so what the hell do I know?

24 minutes ago, PunPun said:

I would argue the 1925 Presidential election, where the KPD threw it to Hindenberg because defeating 'social fascism' was more important than 'actual fascism' was one of the most fascinating and closely run elections in the Republic's history, given it was just a handful of points between Wilhelm Marx, the Weimar Coalition candidate, and Hindenberg, the 'broad right' candidate. 

Making the proportional system work in anything but Chancellor Forever (which is very old and not super intuitive to play imo) is basically a non-starter as CI and PMI both can't handle PR style elections, and would likely explode if you tried to bodge a solution as far as I'm aware. But then, I'm not a coder so what the hell do I know?

I, myself would, and plan to if Anthony doesn't produce a non-FPTP updated game engine, make it by K4E. So thus, I don't share your impediments in that area. Frankly, the majority of national legislative elections are NOT FPTP, and I don't feel a need to straightjacket the subject I take on in election scenarios because of an artificial and self-perpetuated demand that everything must be for the "shiniest and newest edition" of electronic media, even if that means denying oneself a lot of opportunities.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I, myself would, and plan to if Anthony doesn't produce a non-FPTP updated game engine, make it by K4E. Though thus, I don't share your impediments in that area.

By all means go for it, I'd buy it. Reading this thread had me reinstall K4E, and while it's not the prettiest looking it is still the only thing like it that I'm aware of.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:33 AM, Patine said:

I, myself would, and plan to if Anthony doesn't produce a non-FPTP updated game engine, make it by K4E. So thus, I don't share your impediments in that area. Frankly, the majority of national legislative elections are NOT FPTP, and I don't feel a need to straightjacket the subject I take on in election scenarios because of an artificial and self-perpetuated demand that everything must be for the "shiniest and newest edition" of electronic media, even if that means denying oneself a lot of opportunities.

I honestly have never understood why Anthony just hasn't made a consolidated election simulation game, with every election model possible., That would catch alot of peoples eyes, and i'm sure university's would be extremely interested in it as well.

8 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I honestly have never understood why Anthony just hasn't made a consolidated election simulation game, with every election model possible., That would catch alot of peoples eyes, and i'm sure university's would be extremely interested in it as well.

I haven't either, to be honest. His marketing model, that their must be a "country," with an "official election scenario," as a primary feature to each of his games, that highly (and artificially) self-limits what he puts out always seems self-defeating to me.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I haven't either, to be honest. His marketing model, that their must be a "country," with an "official election scenario," as a primary feature to each of his games, that highly (and artificially) self-limits what he puts out always seems self-defeating to me.

I agree

• 4 weeks later...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1219950/Evil_Democracy_1932/

@Patine

You may be interested in this. It includes the different electoral systems,and this election we are talking about making