270soft Forum
CentristGuy

Deadly News: Philippine President to Police "shoot and kill quarantine violators"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/alexandrasternlicht/2020/04/02/duterte-threatens-to-shoot-quarantine-violators-in-philippines/amp/

Our President, in a national address, said that quarantine violators and people who'll protest his handling of the Covid Crisis should be shot with the intent of killing. This is after a few families from the slums of QC staged a protest against the lack of aid, as they have no means of income amidst the Enhanced Community Quarantine. 20 of them were arrested. 

He has also specifically mentioned the "left". That if they lead any type of Protests against the slow distribution of Relief Goods for the poor affected by the quarantine. And Protest for more transparency on the P275 billion + P300 billion budget, he'll also order them to be shot and killed. 

I have a problem with this, because this administration has an extensive record of red tagging supposed Leftists as a member of the Communist Insurgency . 

I have friends in the countryside who are Union and Coop leaders in danger. Nothing's stopping the cops from claiming "they were a danger to me" as they have also done extensively on the still ongoing War on Drugs. 

I am also personally in danger, because I am affiliated with a Leftist group in the City. Though my danger is less significant. What they all do is stage protest on local issues, most specifically the opening of a Coal Power Plant. And I have never joined any of their protests yet. Though our Facebook Group has recently been infiltrated by some military dude threatening to report us to the CIDG, so we had to temporarily delete it. 

I am hoping for the best, that my friends don't die. I am hoping that this crisis ends, to strip the President of the Special Emergency Powers granted by his personal stamp card, the Congress. 

I hope all of you are safe in your countries. :)

This is the problem with lock-downs. For them to work, there has to be broad compliance (which is why they need to be short, and the duration has to be made clear by the government). Either people agree, or they are forced to agree through martial-law like situations.

Health officials in this case don't really understand the implications of their health advice. They are basically bureaucrats or doctors. Lock-downs sound great on paper, much more difficult to implement without significant collateral damage in practice.

Where I live, it's 'just' fines and potential jail time for people who break rules on the lock-down (although supposedly Canadian citizens are guaranteed rights to assemble and rights of movement through our Charter). No shooting on sight, yet.

48 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

This is the problem with lock-downs. For them to work, there has to be broad compliance (which is why they need to be short, and the duration has to be made clear by the government). Either people agree, or they are forced to agree through martial-law like situations.

Health officials in this case don't really understand the implications of their health advice. They are basically bureaucrats or doctors. Lock-downs sound great on paper, much more difficult to implement without significant collateral damage in practice.

Where I live, it's 'just' fines and potential jail time for people who break rules on the lock-down (although supposedly Canadian citizens are guaranteed rights to assemble and rights of movement through our Charter). No shooting on sight, yet.

Seriously. You have to know that Canada or the US won’t start shooting people. That’s fearmongering. And if you were joking, it was a bad joke because it is serious in the Philippines. Fines are appropriate. Shooting on sight is not.

2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Seriously. You have to know that Canada or the US won’t start shooting people. That’s fearmongering. And if you were joking, it was a bad joke because it is serious in the Philippines. Fines are appropriate. Shooting on sight is not.

Just being factual. Already goes beyond fines. People are being arrested in the U.S. Not being shot, yet. Let's hope it doesn't go there.

18 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Just being factual. Already goes beyond fines. People are being arrested in the U.S. Not being shot, yet. Let's hope it doesn't go there.

Yet? Seriously? If you actually believe that you’re not very intelligent.

2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Yet? Seriously? If you actually believe that you’re not very intelligent.

Believe what? That someone might be shot by law enforcement because of this? It's possible. Something very close to martial law in your country is also possible - if you get widespread rioting or defiance of lock-down, and your elites are committed to lock-down, what's the alternative?

If I were to say 2 months ago that the entirety of my country would be on an indefinite lock-down - churches closed, libraries closed, almost no gatherings -  I am guessing many people would have told me I was 'not very intelligent'.

This is a full on panic. Ever wonder how governments could do terrible things we read about in textbooks?

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Believe what? That someone might be shot by law enforcement because of this? It's possible. Something very close to martial law in your country is also possible - if you get widespread rioting or defiance of lock-down, and your elites are committed to lock-down, what's the alternative?

If I were to say 2 months ago that the entirety of my country would be on an indefinite lock-down - churches closed, libraries closed, almost no gatherings -  I am guessing many people would have told me I was 'not very intelligent'.

This is a full on panic. Ever wonder how governments could do terrible things we read about in textbooks?

You’re in full blown panic.

Just now, Hestia11 said:

You’re in full blown panic.

No. I'm quite calm - perhaps too calm - and looking carefully at what's happening and the situation we're in.

I certainly hope we don't get to a situation where people are shot because of this. But at this point, it's obvious it's a possibility.

Just now, admin_270 said:

No. I'm quite calm - perhaps too calm - and looking carefully at what's happening and the situation we're in.

I certainly hope we don't get to a situation where people are shot because of this. But at this point, it's obvious it's a possibility.

No, it's quite clear to everyone you're panicking. If you  believe something like that will happen here...seriously it's ludicrous over something like a lockdown. Certainly not a direct order from anyone of authority. 

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

No, it's quite clear to everyone you're panicking. If you  believe something like that will happen here...seriously it's ludicrous over something like a lockdown. Certainly not a direct order from anyone of authority. 

I hope you're right.

Just now, admin_270 said:

I hope you're right.

🙄

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

More inappropriate and counter-productive commentary on the Coronavirus issue.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

👍

4 hours ago, CentristGuy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/alexandrasternlicht/2020/04/02/duterte-threatens-to-shoot-quarantine-violators-in-philippines/amp/

Our President, in a national address, said that quarantine violators and people who'll protest his handling of the Covid Crisis should be shot with the intent of killing. This is after a few families from the slums of QC staged a protest against the lack of aid, as they have no means of income amidst the Enhanced Community Quarantine. 20 of them were arrested. 

He has also specifically mentioned the "left". That if they lead any type of Protests against the slow distribution of Relief Goods for the poor affected by the quarantine. And Protest for more transparency on the P275 billion + P300 billion budget, he'll also order them to be shot and killed. 

I have a problem with this, because this administration has an extensive record of red tagging supposed Leftists as a member of the Communist Insurgency . 

I have friends in the countryside who are Union and Coop leaders in danger. Nothing's stopping the cops from claiming "they were a danger to me" as they have also done extensively on the still ongoing War on Drugs. 

I am also personally in danger, because I am affiliated with a Leftist group in the City. Though my danger is less significant. What they all do is stage protest on local issues, most specifically the opening of a Coal Power Plant. And I have never joined any of their protests yet. Though our Facebook Group has recently been infiltrated by some military dude threatening to report us to the CIDG, so we had to temporarily delete it. 

I am hoping for the best, that my friends don't die. I am hoping that this crisis ends, to strip the President of the Special Emergency Powers granted by his personal stamp card, the Congress. 

I hope all of you are safe in your countries. :)

North Korea CLAIMS to only have had one reported case - a North Korean doing business with the PRC through the Special Status Commerce City of Sinuijiu on the Yalu River, was declared upon crossing the Chinese-North Korean border "infected," by some medical official or other, according to Chinese citizens near the crossing, and shot dead. A few days, the North Korean Government said he had refused quarantine before being shot, but the Chinese witnesses said it looked like a summary execution with no questions or options. But, since internal movement, commerce, work, and everything else in North Korea has already been highly restricted for over 70 years now...

35 minutes ago, Patine said:

What's inappropriate or counter-productive, and why?