270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alexconn0156

Kennedy V Bush 04

I did an election on President Infinity with Ted Kennedy as President and Howard Dean as Vice President in 2004 where I was simulator and I got 

Kennedy-424 and Bush 114. 

13 minutes ago, alexconn0156 said:

I did an election on President Infinity with Ted Kennedy as President and Howard Dean as Vice President in 2004 where I was simulator and I got 

Kennedy-424 and Bush 114. 

Would have been very nice! And got Bush back good for so blatantly putting Kennedy on the "no-fly list," and making him commute by car from Boston to DC (someone tell me that was NOT a spiteful political attack and petty and venal abuse of power by the Bush Administration).

11 minutes ago, alexconn0156 said:

What you think politically would have happened like what would he do in office?

Hard to say. In his latter days, Ted Kennedy became known as a critic from the Senate of many of the hawkish policies that even his two brothers advocated to a significant degree in their day. But I certainly wouldn't see him doing a Kucinich or (Ron) Paul, and withdrawing all foreign forces, repealing the Patriot Act wholesale, and dissolving all unaccountable 'alphabet soup," agencies, either. I think @vcczar could answer this question much more eloquently and accurately.

1 minute ago, alexconn0156 said:

Should I like trust the platforms and to what degree. 

To the degree you would trust any candidate's promises on the campaign trail.

"Read my lips, no new taxes."

"Believe in the power of change."

"We'll make America great again!"

:P

1 minute ago, alexconn0156 said:

One fun thing for President Infinity to do is to maybe do like an epilogue like what did this candidate do when he was President.

Nah. That's for the custom re-election or post-office scenario, as I see things.

Just now, alexconn0156 said:

But it would be fun if you didn't have to like build a scenario or something. What's a post office scenario?

A custom scenario where your candidate won, but won for the second time, or is not running again, or was assassinated, or what you, and is in the shadow of victorious candidate's legacy and administration, just without them as an actual candidate. Like 2008 was very much in the shadow of Bush's legacy, and 2016 in Obama's in RL, for instance.

6 minutes ago, tzmb said:

how did that happen lol

Is there a joke in there, somewhere? I remember 2004, and didn't see Bush as a titan of universal popularity, or an undefeatable "electoral giant," - and war and emergency measures "fatigue," was already setting in. The fact that Kerry didn't seem to disagree with him, really, on any foreign or national security matter (and they were both members of the sinister, secretive, and politically powerful and involved fraternity, Skull-and-Bones) meant that he was just a "socially progressive Bush-stand-in," and thus incumbency easily won the day.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Hard to say. In his latter days, Ted Kennedy became known as a critic from the Senate of many of the hawkish policies that even his two brothers advocated to a significant degree in their day. But I certainly wouldn't see him doing a Kucinich or (Ron) Paul, and withdrawing all foreign forces, repealing the Patriot Act wholesale, and dissolving all unaccountable 'alphabet soup," agencies, either. I think @vcczar could answer this question much more eloquently and accurately.

I think Kennedy would have operated very similarly to how Obama did, and possibly more effectively. Healthcare, Immigration, and Labor would be his key areas of interest. I think two difference between Obama and Kennedy would be that Kennedy would probably be further right on immigration (more bipartisan), but I also think he would have been less bellicose in foreign policy than Obama. 

In regards to this last point, some historians believe that minority presidents are perceived as being "weak" or "not tough enough" overcompensate in foreign policy. One historian argued that Obama was more likely to be hawkish than McCain was because of this. I doubt that would have been the case. He or someone else argued that Hillary Clinton would have done the same to show that women can be tough.