270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Myrrd

Can we get a update?

Can we get an update on how the upgrade is going, sum thing you added and things you are not, Or maybe if we all are real real good we might now when it mite be coming out.

Hi guys,

We won't be saying what features are in/out for the next version of President Forever, how much of the next version is done, or when it will be done, until we're ready to release the relevant information.

We appreciate the fact you guys want information updates, but right now all we're saying is it will be done when it's done.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

I think it's a bit silly that these threads keep happening weekly...

It would be incredibly bad policy for them to release "progress updates", because if they're wrong, or something is mis-coded, or a hard drive melts down and everything turns to mush, people will get very angry about a delay, or a non-implemented feature, or even just making noises like it might not be finished on time.

Likewise, even if they already had a canned update that was guaranteed to work, if they do a progress update once, people will then expect them from them on a regular basis for every project, which will only lead to what I've said above.

I was not asking for a progressive update, I was just wondering if some of the feature and ideas that people are coming have been added to the game. And the reason I asked is because it lets us now that they value our input when updating the game. And contrary to popular belief these thing are not up every week some just never go away so it looks like some one is asking every week. I was not asking for trade secrets or a peek at the update, All I wanted to know is if they liked some of our ideas enough to put them in the game. This would also stop people from posting the same ideas over and over again, because they will see it has been added already.

See, here's the thing. 400 Software did (and currently) does this. No updates, because of the backlash when something doesn't come out on time. The catch to that is, I no longer give a toss about .400. To me, it looks like the company is never going to release anything because it's been so long without a peep. I check P4E every single day, hoping for an update or a peep about an update, and I'm getting mad.

I, and I know I don't speak for everyone, don't care if a target date is missed. Unless you have the budget of an Electronic Arts, or a LucasArts, etc., it should be a foregone conclusion you're not going to hit it dead on. You win out by keeping your customers on edge, and them feeling safe that something is on the way and it's just a matter of working out the kinks.

Honesty pays, secrecy doesn't.

That's just my opinion, don't flame me for it.

See, here's the thing.  400 Software did (and currently) does this.  No updates, because of the backlash when something doesn't come out on time.  The catch to that is, I no longer give a toss about .400.  To me, it looks like the company is never going to release anything because it's been so long without a peep.  I check P4E every single day, hoping for an update or a peep about an update, and I'm getting mad.

I, and I know I don't speak for everyone, don't care if a target date is missed.  Unless you have the budget of an Electronic Arts, or a LucasArts, etc., it should be a foregone conclusion you're not going to hit it dead on.  You win out by keeping your customers on edge, and them feeling safe that something is on the way and it's just a matter of working out the kinks.

i could not agree more

See, here's the thing.  400 Software did (and currently) does this.  No updates, because of the backlash when something doesn't come out on time.  The catch to that is, I no longer give a toss about .400.  To me, it looks like the company is never going to release anything because it's been so long without a peep.  I check P4E every single day, hoping for an update or a peep about an update, and I'm getting mad.

I, and I know I don't speak for everyone, don't care if a target date is missed.  Unless you have the budget of an Electronic Arts, or a LucasArts, etc., it should be a foregone conclusion you're not going to hit it dead on.  You win out by keeping your customers on edge, and them feeling safe that something is on the way and it's just a matter of working out the kinks.

I couldn't agree more.

But you gotta understand where they're coming from. Setting a target date doesn't mean anything if its not possible to guarantee completion by then. They could come out and say "update will be release this week" and that don't mean its gonna happen & when it don't everybody gets disappointed and asks "but now when will it be released?"and ofcourse eventually one of the target dates will be met but with a lot of complaining in the process.

But you gotta understand where they're coming from. Setting a target date doesn't mean anything if its not possible to guarantee completion by then. They could come out and say "update will be release this week" and that don't mean its gonna happen & when it don't everybody gets disappointed and asks "but now when will it be released?"and ofcourse eventually one of the target dates will be met but with a lot of complaining in the process.

I'm not asking for that. What I'm asking for is simply from somebody at 80-soft to come out and say "Hey guys, we're at work on the update, should be out in about 2 weeks or so." If something happens along the lines that delays said release, they notify us, to reduce backlash.

I just can't phatom how software companies have come to believe that silence is a good policy. You can't keep your customers (and loyal ones from the judging of this forum) in the dark. I, honestly, just think it's an excuse to slack off and take your sweet time in releasing something.

As far as when the update is coming out(for P4E, PMFE, Premier Forever, etc), I think that it's not that they're being secretive. I think that it's just that they plain don't know.

I'm sure they had only the best of intentions by setting a release date of before the American election for the release of the new PFE, but they probably ran into some bugs that they are trying to work out. It ain't easy to program a computer game! Would you rather have a beta version that is so buggy that it's unplayable, or would you rather have a game that is fun, playable and everything you hoped for, which takes a while longer?

I think they are working on new games instead of update because that is were the money, companies don't care about customer loyality they care about money that is it.

I think they are working on new games instead of update because that is were the money, companies don't care about customer loyality they care about money that is it.

Which is exactly what I fear.

As far as when the update is coming out(for P4E, PMFE, Premier Forever, etc), I think that it's not that they're being secretive. I think that it's just that they plain don't know.

I'm sure they had only the best of intentions by setting a release date of before the American election for the release of the new PFE, but they probably ran into some bugs that they are trying to work out. It ain't easy to program a computer game! Would you rather have a beta version that is so buggy that it's unplayable, or would you rather have a game that is fun, playable and everything you hoped for, which takes a while longer?

I would obviously want one that is more playable, but that isn't my point. My point is, to stave off justified fears that guys like Myrrd and myself have said (which is not a reputation you want as a small software company), you need to keep us up to speed and let us know. It's easy to say "It's coming, it's coming" and then people will eventually tire, and forget about it. It takes juevos to come out and say "Hey look guys, we're looking for it to be ready by (insert month here), doesn't mean it will be ready by then, but that's the pace we're at." I just don't understand what the problem is.

Again HRC and Hillary, don't flame me, I'm just responding to a question.