270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
danieldlmn

electoral college votes to tie this year

and how much attention do u think the people in the south or in north dakota, or utah are getting. if a person has to go out and get every vote they have to look at every state i live in maryland which is an average size state that almost always votes democrat we get our random ads but for the most part voters here are over looked but if kerry had to come here to try and get every vote possible than the people will be more enthusiastic about politics since every vote really does count

u think Kerry cares about voters in Massachusetts or bush cares about voters in Alabama ...... no because they know they already have those states wrapped up

No, that is exactly the point.

Wherever already-decided voters live, they can be safely ignored. The Electoral College makes it more likely that entire states or even regions are ignored: a simple popular majority means that every vote in every state carries equal weight and is equally worth chasing.

It may not actually, Depending on what happens in Colorado on this proportional vote thing, I hope this passes. If it does this is great news for Kerry because even if he loses the state he will get 4 votes.

I have only just discovered today that, contrary to my understanding up till now, not every state's electoral college votes automatically go to the winner. I've read today that Colorado is thinking of allocating the EC votes according to the popular vote (amendment 36), and that Maine and Nebraska already do something similar (2 votes to the winner, the rest according to who wins each congressional district - I notice this is reflected in HorckDude's tie scenario map, though in fact it comes out still in effect as winner takes all).

I presume P4E doesn't reflect this variation in Maine and Nebraska and still gives the EC votes on a 'winner takes all' basis.

(PS: ignorance of the EC system based on the fact that I'm a UK player of this game!)

i say we need to completely get rid off electorate system and go by popular vote. our system is archaic and unfairĀ 

I am sure you will change your tune if Kerry wins electoral but loses popular vote. The far-left would change it's mind about abolishing the electoral college really fast and say, "payback Bush! tee-hee!"

But then again, such hypocracy is common in the Democratic party these days.

I would have more expeince with the American political system than you do, I think this because A. I have worked in a senate office B. I have studie American and world histroy for well over 15 years at post grad level C. I am an active perticipent as a voter!

Gee I couldn't say the same about you for the right wing, you don't have the efficiancy of a computer :P Also argue with my credentials as you have acused me of being uninforemed and a novice, please explain where you derive that from.

hard i'm just waiting for u to throw out one of those mind blowing post where u just throw fact after fact to crush the oppisition but i'm pretty sure u will never do that because u have no facts u just have your right wing idealology