270soft Forum

Star Wars - New Republic 11ABY and Old Republic 32BBY

Found a very old version of this floating around on Atlas forum. I've updated it and tried to add some more depth, though it's still very much a WIP. I would appreciate feedback, both technical and on the story - especially finding plausible endorsers. I'm also considering doing an Old Republic version, if I can find enough figures.

VgRzcaB.png

QkD0to3.png

fmrdAun.png

cCw7RzY.png

KkhpGth.png\[

Galactic Republic.rarOld Republic.rar

EDIT: Posted an Old Republic alpha as well. Screens here:

JINfyyd.png

UHWXmP9.png

umJAz8q.png

KCCrnPb.png

nz9NzYi.png

v9HWhna.png

2 hours ago, VeryLoudCartographer said:

Found a very old version of this floating around on Atlas forum. I've updated it and tried to add some more depth, though it's still very much a WIP. I would appreciate feedback, both technical and on the story - especially finding plausible endorsers. I'm also considering doing an Old Republic version, if I can find enough figures.

Galactic Republic.rar 42.88 MB · 6 downloads

VgRzcaB.png

QkD0to3.png

fmrdAun.png

cCw7RzY.png

KkhpGth.png

I'd rather see the Old Republic, but then again I loved the Prequels and was not at all a fan of the Disney Sequels, so there's that. And Senator, then Supreme Chancellor Palpatine of Naboo, would be great to have in the mix, which only the Old Republic could have. But, that being said, the format and structure it's built around is quite innovative and well-done.

Finally, a Star Wars based election! (Of course, I too would love to see an Old Republic scenario.)

Although, I think you have the left- and right-wings of the issues the wrong way round, if you know what I mean. Is there a reason for that? Also, the Des Moines Register is still an endorser for some reason.

3 hours ago, VeryLoudCartographer said:

Galactic Republic.rar 42.88 MB · 7 downloads

VgRzcaB.png

QkD0to3.png

fmrdAun.png

cCw7RzY.png

KkhpGth.png

2 hours ago, lizphairphreak said:

This is... so brilliant

9 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Finally, a Star Wars based election! (Of course, I too would love to see an Old Republic scenario.)

Although, I think you have the left- and right-wings of the issues the wrong way round, if you know what I mean. Is there a reason for that?

I think the break-down of Old Republic parties (don't know about names yet) could be pretty simple.

-Vallorum and the crumbling, ineffectual, corrupt, establishment incumbent party.

-Palpatine and his cronies.

-The "sincere and real" opposition, led by Padme Amidala, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, Garm Iblis, the Senator from Calamari (I can't remember his name), etc., who would later form the core the Rebel Alliance would be built around.

-The "shill and decoy" opposition, with a very different platform entirely, made up of the Trade Federation and those other organs of Galactic Commerce, the Geonosians, and the worlds that would later declare themselves the "Seperatists," represented in the Senate by that Trade Federation representative who was speaking on their behalf while Nute Gunray was conducting the blockade, and then invasion.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Wiw said:

It could work. I admit I'm not big on the prequels, but I guess we could put something together.

The Prequels are an underappreciated masterpiece in retrospect. The products that Disney put out after they bought out Lucasfilm make them even more appreciated - at least to me - by a significant margin. The storyline of the Prequels was amazingly time and poignant for the times it was put out, and also harkened to other troubled times in RL history, but most people just couldn't see it, unable to see beyond the goofiness and Jar Jar Binks, certain actors' overly self-indulgent acting styles, and complaints of "too much CG."

And I apologize for a mistake to @VeryLoudCartographer for saying (presumptuously) that their work was the New Republic of the Disney movies, and the not the one formed right after the Battle of Endor. I wasn't trying to slight or minimize their work at all, but possibly expand upon it.

Although - and I hate to do this after so much work - both a New Republic, and Old Republic, scenario would probably work more accurately by PMI as opposed to PI, as, canonically, in the Star Wars franchise, each member world of the Republic elected a Senator, and then Senators, as well as being the highest lawmaking body in the Republic, chose the Supreme Chancellor (although that was the title of the Old Republic chief executive - I'm not sure what the New Republic's chief executive was canonically called, but Wookiepedia probably knows) from amongst themselves, which is much closer in nature to a Parliamentary system.

@VeryLoudCartographer I must apologize if I've upstaged your thread here, a bit. This is just one of few topics of popular fiction I can actually a scenario for a TheorySpark game around with any strong knowledge or enthusiasm, and which hasn't been meaningfully attempted on this forum before. I meant no disrespect - quite the opposite, in fact.

That's no problem, I'm glad for the enthusiasm. I've started doing some research and planning for the OR scenario based on the 32BBY Chancery election. Here is the candidate list I have so far based on Wookiepedia diving; let me know if you have any ideas.

Core Faction

Chancellor Finis Valorum of Coruscant

Senator Bail Antilles of Alderaan

Senator Tendau Bendon of Ithor

Senator Horox Ryyder of Mygeeto

Senator Yarua of Kashyyyk

Senator Onaconda Farr of Outer Rim

Governor Wilhuff Tarkin of Eriadu (off by default)

Senator Mon Mothma of Chandrila (off by default - yeah the timeline doesn't really line up for this one but it's close and few will know the difference)

Rim Faction

Senator Sheev Palpatine of Naboo

Senator Orn Free Ta of Ryloth

Senator Ainlee Teem of Malastare

Vice Chancellor Mas Amedda of Ryloth

Senator Tikkes of Dac

Senator Garm Bel Iblis of Corellia

Queen Padme Amidala of Naboo (off by default)

Count Dooku of Trans-Hydian Reach (off by default)

Corporate Faction

Senator Lott Dod of Neimoidia 

Emir Wat Tambor of Aargau  (off by default)

5 minutes ago, VeryLoudCartographer said:

That's no problem, I'm glad for the enthusiasm. I've started doing some research and planning for the OR scenario based on the 32BBY Chancery election. Here is the candidate list I have so far based on Wookiepedia diving; let me know if you have any ideas.

Core Faction

Chancellor Finis Valorum of Coruscant

Senator Bail Antilles of Alderaan

Senator Tendau Bendon of Ithor

Senator Horox Ryyder of Mygeeto

Senator Yarua of Kashyyyk

Senator Onaconda Farr of Outer Rim

Governor Wilhuff Tarkin of Eriadu (off by default)

Senator Mon Mothma of Chandrila (off by default - yeah the timeline doesn't really line up for this one but it's close and few will know the difference)

Rim Faction

Senator Sheev Palpatine of Naboo

Senator Orn Free Ta of Ryloth

Senator Ainlee Teem of Malastare

Vice Chancellor Mas Amedda of Ryloth

Senator Tikkes of Dac

Senator Garm Bel Iblis of Corellia

Queen Padme Amidala of Naboo (off by default)

Count Dooku of Trans-Hydian Reach (off by default)

Corporate Faction

Senator Lott Dod of Neimoidia 

Emir Wat Tambor of Aargau  (off by default)

According to a line by an aid to Amidalah and Obi-Wan near the end of the Phantom Menace, it seemed like, after his crushing defeat in the vote of no confidence, Valorum has not canonically running for re-election, but Bail Organa's name was dropped as an "heir apparent." Maybe Valorum should be off-by-default, due to that.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:44 PM, Patine said:

The Prequels are an underappreciated masterpiece in retrospect. The products that Disney put out after they bought out Lucasfilm make them even more appreciated - at least to me - by a significant margin. The storyline of the Prequels was amazingly time and poignant for the times it was put out, and also harkened to other troubled times in RL history, but most people just couldn't see it, unable to see beyond the goofiness and Jar Jar Binks, certain actors' overly self-indulgent acting styles, and complaints of "too much CG."

I'll give them that, certainly.

3 hours ago, VeryLoudCartographer said:

Posted an Old Republic version. Because of the way that election works, it defaults to general, with four parties.

Did you catch my suggestion, based on the scenes near the end of Episode I, and put Valorum as "off-by-default," and Bail Organa (I hope you fixed you fixed that from Antiles, given in the list you put above in this thread - the last name of the captain of his transport ship) as the top of the Core Faction list?

On 2/26/2020 at 7:39 PM, Patine said:

Did you catch my suggestion, based on the scenes near the end of Episode I, and put Valorum as "off-by-default," and Bail Organa (I hope you fixed you fixed that from Antiles, given in the list you put above in this thread - the last name of the captain of his transport ship) as the top of the Core Faction list?

Antilles is correct - two different people. Bail is a common name on Alderaan, I guess.

6 hours ago, VeryLoudCartographer said:

Antilles is correct - two different people. Bail is a common name on Alderaan, I guess.

Bail Organa was the Senator of Alderaan. He adopted Leia, the daughter of Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidalla, which is why she had the last name Organa in the Trilogy. The captain of the transport ship that Bail ORGANA, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padme Amidalla, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Yoda were on travelling from Mustafar to Alderaan was named "Captain Antilles," - possibly a relative of the Trilogy Rebel Y-Wing squadron leader Wedge Antilles. I have the Episode III DVD (as well as all the other pre-Blue Ray Trilogy and Prequels DVD's) within practically arm's reach of me from my computer desk.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:44 PM, Patine said:

I'd rather see the Old Republic, but then again I loved the Prequels and was not at all a fan of the Disney Sequels, so there's that. And Senator, then Supreme Chancellor Palpatine of Naboo, would be great to have in the mix, which only the Old Republic could have. But, that being said, the format and structure it's built around is quite innovative and well-done.

The Old Republic was well before the time period in the Prequels. 

The Prequels, in cannon, are referred to as The High Republic, or the Rise of the Galactic Empire. 

The Old Republic is my favorite time period of Star Wars and I'd highly suggest you check out the two Knights of The Old Republic games. They're from about 2003-2005 and dive into the lore of Jedi and Sith quite well. While not officially cannon anymore because of Disney, some of the story lines are supposed to be used by Disney in upcoming projects. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

The Old Republic was well before the time period in the Prequels. 

The Prequels, in cannon, are referred to as The High Republic, or the Rise of the Galactic Empire. 

The Old Republic is my favorite time period of Star Wars and I'd highly suggest you check out the two Knights of The Old Republic games. They're from about 2003-2005 and dive into the lore of Jedi and Sith quite well. While not officially cannon anymore because of Disney, some of the story lines are supposed to be used by Disney in upcoming projects. 

Lucasfilm and LucasArts were not quite not consistent with those particular terms. There were slips and inconsistencies across the board - especially once the original licensed novel and comic book franchise starting with Timothy Zahn's book, "Heir to the Empire," which is kicking around my apartment somewhere as well - until Lucas decanonized the whole thing out of frustration. The BioWare, and later Electronic Arts, MMO, "The Old Republic," has always been a tangential aspect of Star Wars canon. Disney shifted the expectations, views, and perspective of canon, even retrospectively, in such a ridiculous, sloppy, and irresponsible way that's so glaring that I, myself, do not see it as being Star Wars canon in my own enjoyment, and I do not own any movie, TV series, or paraphernalia based on Disney Star Wars endeavours.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

Lucasfilm and LucasArts were not quite not consistent with those particular terms. There were slips and inconsistencies across the board - especially once the original licensed novel and comic book franchise starting with Timothy Zahn's book, "Heir to the Empire," which is kicking around my apartment somewhere as well - until Lucas decanonized the whole thing out of frustration. The BioWare, and later Electronic Arts, MMO, "The Old Republic," has always been a tangential aspect of Star Wars canon. Disney shifted the expectations, views, and perspective of canon, even retrospectively, in such a ridiculous, sloppy, and irresponsible way that's so glaring that I, myself, do not see it as being Star Wars canon in my own enjoyment, and I do not own any movie, TV series, or paraphernalia based on Disney Star Wars endeavours.

The Knights of the Old Republic games are from long before the Disney stuff. They are before the MMO even. The first one is easily one of my favorite Star Wars stories. Think they run on just about any PC, I play them on the Xbox myself. Would highly recommend them to anyone who loves any kind of Star Wars.

3 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

The Knights of the Old Republic games are from long before the Disney stuff. They are before the MMO even. The first one is easily one of my favorite Star Wars stories. Think they run on just about any PC, I play them on the Xbox myself. Would highly recommend them to anyone who loves any kind of Star Wars.

I'm aware of this. The issues of canon and terminology being inconsistent are still there, though.

On 2/28/2020 at 7:05 PM, Patine said:

Bail Organa was the Senator of Alderaan. He adopted Leia, the daughter of Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidalla, which is why she had the last name Organa in the Trilogy. The captain of the transport ship that Bail ORGANA, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padme Amidalla, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Yoda were on travelling from Mustafar to Alderaan was named "Captain Antilles," - possibly a relative of the Trilogy Rebel Y-Wing squadron leader Wedge Antilles. I have the Episode III DVD (as well as all the other pre-Blue Ray Trilogy and Prequels DVD's) within practically arm's reach of me from my computer desk.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bail_Antilles/Legends