270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Natalie

Labour Party leadership election discussion

Who do you support for leader of the Labour Party?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you support for leader of the Labour Party?

• Clive Lewis
    • Emily Thornberry
    • Yvette Cooper
    • David Lammy
    • Rebecca Long-Bailey
    • Lisa Nandy
    • Keir Starmer
    • Dan Jarvis
    • Jonathan Ashworth
    • Jess Phillips
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. Who do you support for deputy leader of the Labour Party?

• Dawn Butler
    • Khalid Mahmood
    • Rosena Allin-Khan
    • Richard Burgon
    • Ian Murray
    • Barry Gardiner
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Louise Haigh
    • Conor McGinn
    • Jess Phillips
    • Angela Rayner
    • Other (please specify)
  3. 3. What is your position on Brexit?

• Remain
    • Leave - Deal
    • Leave - No deal
    • Other (please specify)
    • Don't know/care

Following a historic loss for Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party, who could you see as the next leader? Who would you most like to be leader? And what is your position on Brexit?

Here's an interesting chart featuring a few of the potential candidates (credit - @326Pols)

737Fszs.jpg

A few thoughts of mine

- The next Labour leader must have a position on Brexit which is less vague than Corbyn's was. Corbyn lost for a number of reasons, the biggest of which in my opinion was the fact that he was trying to make the election about other issues when it was really only about Brexit.

- From what I know (very little) about the candidates so far, I am tied between Long-Bailey and Nandy. I am slightly leaning towards Nandy because I am pro-Brexit.

- My position on Brexit? I often go back and forth between not caring (because I am American) and being pro-Brexit (because I am not really in favor of globalism and free trade).

(To keep up with my thoughts on this election and politics in general, you can follow me on Twitter @ LeftismUpdates)

2 hours ago, Natalie said:

- The next Labour leader must have a position on Brexit which is less vague than Corbyn's was. Corbyn lost for a number of reasons, the biggest of which in my opinion was the fact that he was trying to make the election about other issues when it was really only about Brexit.

I think they can probably afford to be quite vague about their thoughts on the decision to leave the EU by the time we get to the next general election - in fact since they'll likely have been pro-remain I think it's important they don't stress their original position too much, we don't need to tell voters they were wrong again, just that the inevitable failings and damage are a result of the way it's been handled by this government. And to convince them that we can build something positive in a post-Brexit Britain.

I'd like Jess Phillips, she seems pragmatic and can easily distance herself from the platform that's just been so resoundingly defeated. I think she could present a positive message that is more palatable to the general population and less threatening to the press (however much we dislike the majority of our press), whilst being much more relatable to most of us than Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

2 hours ago, Natalie said:

Following a historic loss for Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party, who could you see as the next leader? Who would you most like to be leader? And what is your position on Brexit?

Here's an interesting chart featuring a few of the potential candidates (credit - @326Pols)

737Fszs.jpg

A few thoughts of mine

- From what I know (very little) about the candidates so far, I am tied between Long-Bailey and Nandy. I am slightly leaning towards Nandy because I am pro-Brexit.

- My position on Brexit? I often go back and forth between not caring (because I am American) and being pro-Brexit (because I am not really in favor of globalism and free trade).

(To keep up with my thoughts on this election and politics in general, you can follow me on Twitter @ LeftismUpdates)

I don't even know any of these people anymore. These aren't the prominent the Labour Party members of the '90's and 2000's, I'm afraid.

The Labour will be at least for 14 years in opposition

It's more than the Conservatives under Blair.

If they manage to lose in 2024 they will have reproduced the disastrous period of long-term opposition for the Labour under Margaret Thatcher, 18 YEARS !

The Labour needs a strong duo to top in centrist battlefields, because I am going to be harsh.

Yes the working people voted Brexit because the election was on Brexit, and in 2017 the election wasn't clearly on Brexit (the labour had equal part of the leave vote) and STILL the Labour couldn't make a breakthrough despite a high student vote.

The reason is simple, if Brexit election ends, Labour will loose the centrist electors they kept under their control thanks to Brexit debate, a lot of centrists who completely disagree with nationalizations and would have voted Libdem or Torie if there was not a referendum election.

The Labour could drop to 25% and Libdem be back at 20% if the Corbynite continues in next election.

Problem and on this Blair is right, the power in Labour shifted, since 2014 the unions have automatic member cards, so they control the nomination.

I just want a more moderate Labour ffs

1 minute ago, Ido said:

I just want a more moderate Labour ffs

And how about a more moderate Conservative to go along with them?

18 hours ago, Patine said:

I don't even know any of these people anymore. These aren't the prominent the Labour Party members of the '90's and 2000's, I'm afraid.

Yvette Cooper is Ed Balls wife

I have very much like what I've seen of Lammy

Seems the party will move Miliband back (half way between Blairites and Corbynism but strong remain)

A poll 

Labour Leadership Voting Intention:

Keir Starmer: 31%
Rebecca Long-Bailey: 20%
Jess Phillips: 11%
Yvette Cooper: 7%
Clive Lewis: 7%
Emily Thornberry: 6%
Lisa Nandy: 5%

Via @YouGov, 21-31 Dec.
Poll of 1,059 Labour Members.

~KentishRed

L’image contient peut-être : 2 personnes, personnes debout et texte

He seems like a Neil Kinnock.

10 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Seems the party will move Miliband back (half way between Blairites and Corbynism but strong remain)

A poll 

Labour Leadership Voting Intention:

Keir Starmer: 31%
Rebecca Long-Bailey: 20%
Jess Phillips: 11%
Yvette Cooper: 7%
Clive Lewis: 7%
Emily Thornberry: 6%
Lisa Nandy: 5%

Via @YouGov, 21-31 Dec.
Poll of 1,059 Labour Members.

~KentishRed

L’image contient peut-être : 2 personnes, personnes debout et texte

He seems like a Neil Kinnock.

Kinnock could have actually been a lot more successful of a Labour leader if he were running in a different decade than he was, frankly.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Kinnock could have actually been a lot more successful of a Labour leader if he were running in a different decade than he was, frankly.

10 years before in the 70's yes !

I point Kinnock as a "transition period" between the far-left Labour of Michael Foot which lost a lot in 1983 and the New Labour which landslided 1997.

Currently if the Labour wants to win according to me they have to accept the result of Brexit and move forward while promising a credible alternative to the Conservatives.

What do you think about the victory of Keir Stamer?

According to me he's a half-way leader, he might do some gains in 4 years like winning 30 constituencies back but I do not see him winning.

3 minutes ago, Edouard said:

According to me he's a half-way leader, he might do some gains in 4 years like winning 30 constituencies back but I do not see him winning.

I agree. We'll just have to wait and see until 2024 😛

1 hour ago, Edouard said:

I'm glad to see Angela Rayner has won the Deputy. She seems like a good person, and maybe a good leader in the future.