270soft Forum
Patine

Hard-Coded Tyranny!

@admin_270 So, though I may have seen a mention of it on the version updates log and completely underestimated it's significance, I just a verification in a recently custom made scenario for PI about "hard-coding" the actual PI GAME (and thus all custom made scenarios) to prevent landslide losses by "normal" (I'm guessing, establishment) parties. As written, and as I'm led to understand, this screws over a significant number of scenario ideas I have for PI, which involve the very real possibility of an election upset on a PARTISAN and not PRIMARY level. How "hard-coded" is this system, and how EXACTLY does it work?

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Sorry, can you rephrase this? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Not to speak for @Patine, but I think he's referring to this thread:

It seems the newer version of President Infinity prevents giant landslides like the one I achieved in the older version 2.8.2.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Sorry, can you rephrase this? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Some feature mentioned in the thread of a recently released custom made PI scenario that talks about, in the latest version of PI, "hard-coding against landslide defeats by normal parties." That's close to exactly how the scenario maker himself just put it. It sounds, on the surface, like it would make many of my personal custom made PI scenario plans difficult to even impossible, but I'm not sure what the details are.

1 minute ago, darkmoon72 said:

Not to speak for @Patine, but I think he's referring to this thread:

It seems the newer version of President Infinity prevents giant landslides like the one I achieved in the older version 2.8.2.

And, yes, that's the thread I was referring to, @admin_270.

38 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Yes, the game engine makes it harder for there to be big victories by marginal parties.

So, what if I want a custom scenario where the very real possibility of an unexpected upset victory on a PARTISAN and not PRIMARY level is a very important part of the custom scenario design and purpose? How should I approach that in custom scenario making in PI now?

23 minutes ago, Patine said:

So, what if I want a custom scenario where the very real possibility of an unexpected upset victory on a PARTISAN and not PRIMARY level is a very important part of the custom scenario design and purpose? How should I approach that in custom scenario making in PI now?

Do you mean an upset victory in a general election?

I guess the question is how much of an upset you want. But you can start by setting the structure of the electorate so there's a low % of committed voters.

No, landslides were not "hard-coded" against. Favorability makes huge swings harder to do but they're still very achievable via editing the leaning/committed/undecided numbers or good strategy.