270soft Forum
vcczar

Your First 100 Days: A Thought-Experiment

Here's another thought-experiment. 

Roll a virtual die: https://www.random.org/dice/     If you get a 1, then both the US House and US Senate are firmly controlled by the opposing party. If you get a 2, then you control the US House but not the US Senate. If you get a 3, then you control the US Senate but not the US House. If you get a 4, then you control the US House but there is a tie in the US Senate (VP breaks tie). If you get a 5, then you control the US House and the US Senate but not by a large margin. If you get a 6, then you have US Senate and US Rep dominance and can basically pass/repeal whatever you wish. 

The media and voters put a lot of stock in the "First 100 Days" of a presidency. These days could set the tone of your approval/disapproval rating and overall party support for Midterms and the next general elections. 

If you were elected president in the 2020 election, what would do as president in the first 100 days, whether through Congress or through the office of the President? Do you think your efforts would be successful considering the Houses of Congress you've inherited? Do you think these successes or failures in your first 100 days will help or hurt your party in the Mid-terms or next General Election, including your reelection bid? What will your opponent likely use as fuel to defeat you in 2024?

@vcczar I rolled a 6, this will be fun.

In my first 100 days I will repeal the Bump Stock Ban as well as end HARPA research. I'll work to restore NAFTA with a stronger Free Trade agreement. I'd also move to actually cut the spending in FY2020 and with Congress firmly on my side maybe I could do it. 

I'd work a lot on rhetorically uniting the nation and with a *mostly* harmonious Congress hopefully my reforms would be bettter received than under a contentious administration. Also I'd hope that my reversal of some of my predecessor's policies would build good will, as well as my support for the federal legalization of marijuana and the decriminalization of other drugs. I'd also end a lot of federal mandates that burden states against the 10th amendment. I'd finally defund Planned Parenthood. I'd really have to get to work with a lot of repealing.

These are my initial thoughts, I'll have to think about how my first 100 days, then the next 2 years until the midterms would go with Congress entirely on my side, I'll come back to this and flesh it out later.

I rolled a "1"....which means both Houses of Congress are firmly against me. As such, I'll have an awful first 100 days and almost all my accomplishments will have to be in the realm of Foreign Policy or via Executive Order. 

In the realm of foreign affairs, I'd end my hundred days in a splash. On my first day in office, I'd have every ambassador inform the countries that they work with that there will be a major international gathering at the White House during the last three days of my first 100 days. This meeting will attempt to heal the divide caused by Trump's rhetoric and behavior. Additionally, if any major trade or foreign policy deals are negotiated by this meeting, they will be signed at the meeting. 

In regards to economics, there will be little I can do with both Houses against me. I'll likely consider any proposals to Congress that the wisest of my economic advisers suggest. I'll likely remove most of the tariffs. 

In regards to military or defense, I would pull all ground troops, but I would replace the lost presence of ground troops with more federal aid (money or weaponry) for allies. The era of US occupations is over. We will aid allies but not with troops on the ground except in the case of humanitarian crises. This would be my doctrine. Outdated weaponry, equipment, and personnel will be retired from the military. Money will go into military research, but there will be drastic cuts in funding, mostly because of a major decrease in the size of ground troops. The US will shift from human personnel to things like drones and other non-human personnel. The idea is that this will decrease military deaths, and once fine-tuned, these machines will hopefully be less likely to commit human error. 

The money saved from drastic defense cuts would go towards increases in infrastructure, social programs, alternate energy, environment, science, and education, if Congress will allow it. Otherwise, it can stay as a surplus. 

As far as criminal justice and legal matters. I will call for a bipartisan gun safety bill designed specifically for protection children. The bill will be of two parts. 1) It will focus on protecting children on school properties. 2) It will aim to protect children at home to decrease the chances of accidental shootings. I would suggest that the soldiers that are being cut from the military will be automatically eligible to protect schools as a better trained security guard. The second part will probably be unenforceable, but would require gun owners to have gun safety lockers that children can't get into. As Congress is opposed to me, this is the best I can hope for. 

As far as environment goes. I'll propose a ban on fracking and a ban on pipelines in any part of the country where the residents--Native American or not---are opposed to having a pipeline in their community. Congress will probably oppose this. I may be able to use executive order to institute some of this on federal lands. I would renegotiate and sign the Paris Climate Agreement and any other sound treaty aimed at combating or surviving climate change. This would likely also be a major focus of the international gathering at the White House. Overall, science and research is going to play a major focus in my administration one way or the other. 

It will likely be impossible for me to pass any sort of legislation regarding labor, health, housing, or education. As such, I'm limited to rhetoric. I'll attempt to get bipartisan legislation to reduce overall medical prices, especially the cost of drugs. I'll hope to get a bipartisan bill legalizing marijuana, highlighting the overall cost of keeping it criminalized. The bill will aim at taxing it and making money off of selling it. This tax money could be used for healthcare costs. 

I will seek some sort of bipartisan infrastructure bill, a bipartisan alternative energy bill, and a bipartisan bill aimed at eliminating the more invasive parts of the Patriot Act. I will seek bipartisan bills on campaign finance reform, redistricting, and election reform. 

I will seek bipartisan bill of reforming the office of the presidency so that one human being can't do too much damage or have too much power. 

While not a bill, I hope to set a precedence by agreeing to resign as president if my approval rating ever averages less than 40% for a period of four months in the most respect polls (those used for average poll ratings by RealClearPolitics, for example). 

To get bipartisan support, I will take no credit for successes. I'll leave that to the voters. I will give credit to whomever is active in bipartisan solutions, even if it's routinely only the Republicans. I will name laws, policies, buildings, streets, etc., after those most active in getting these bills through in the first 100 days. 

I'll keep such behavior up through Midterms, and beyond, if my party can't get both houses of congress. If they can, I'll hit super drive into my progressive idealism and ram through what I've been wanting to do in the first place. 

I rolled a 2 -- I have a favorable House and an unfavorable Senate, which is going to make cabinet approval tricky.

My most immediate concern is reuniting the children in cages along the border with their families.  Our practices there are reprehensible, and every waking moment will be spent on fixing it until every child is reunited with their parent.  I'll executive order as needed, and fire anyone who gets in my way.  We will prosecute everyone from the bottom up for their actions or inactions for any cases of child abuse.

After that, my next priority is rebuilding our relationships abroad, especially with our Asian former allies such as South Korea, which Trump has done everything in his power to destroy.  They need to be reassured that America is back.

My third priority is early education.  We have to get universal preschool accomplished for all families, and full day kindergarten.  These will be tough sells with the Senate stacked against me, but I'll make the case directly to the American people that early education gives children the proper foundation to become successful in life -- but it also gives low income families the opportunity to go to work so that they can get off welfare, etc, rather than having to stay home to take care of their children because daycare costs more than their potential income.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Both Houses of Congress are firmly against me. As such, I'll have an awful first 100 days and almost all my accomplishments will have to be...via Executive Order.

I will seek bipartisan bill of reforming the office of the presidency so that one human being can't do too much damage or have too much power. 

This was a fun juxtaposition.  Either the President should have the power to do what he feels is right, alone, or he shouldn't.  Either argument is valid, but I don't think these two mix very well.  ;c)

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

To get bipartisan support, I will take no credit for successes. I'll leave that to the voters. I will give credit to whomever is active in bipartisan solutions, even if it's routinely only the Republicans. I will name laws, policies, buildings, streets, etc., after those most active in getting these bills through in the first 100 days. 

I agree with this 100%.  If I were President, I would never attack or praise a party -- I would speak only about specific individuals who were helping or harming.  There would be no public acknowledgement from me that parties even exist.

Overall, obviously I strongly disagree with your defense plans, but otherwise this is an agenda that I could mostly be on board with.

I got a 4, so I control the US House but there is a tie in the US Senate. Cabinet-wise that should help me get all of my nominees approved but there could be a few that I have to compromise to get the moderate dems to agree to.

Much of my first 100 days would be through executive power, trying to undo much of the things Trump did as fast as I can. 

Executive Action/Orders:

-Immediately negotiate back into the Paris Climate Agreement

-Re-instate many of the regulations that Trump rolled back

-Direct EPA to come up with a plan similar but more ambitious to Obama's Clean Power Plan 

-Reverse the "zero tolerance policy" and other inhumane immigration actions by Trump 

-Restore and expand protection for Dreamers

-Stop construction of any new barriers along the Southern Border 

-Moratorium on any new fossil fuel leases 

-Begin to normalize relations with Cuba and repeal Trump's travel restrictions

Congress:

-Push to pass infrastructure bill with significant spending : focus on ensuring the bill includes money for renewable energy projects, replacing water pipes/improving water systems/wastewater systems, and green infrastructure such as better insulated buildings and energy efficiency 

-Rally support in congress for Medicare For All

-Push congress to pass the FAMILY Act, which would guarantee 12 weeks of paid leave 

-Push for a gun control bill that would strengthen background checks, close loopholes, ban high capacity magazines

-Repeal the 2017 tax cuts 

I don't know whether I would be able to get congress to actually do those things in my first 100 days, with the house on my side I think they will definitely pass those things, a 50-50 senate should be able to pass the rest but there could be some extra time for negotiating needed to get the votes on gun control and infrastructure. A President shouldn't rely solely on executive actions/orders, but I think it is important when congress may not be able to get it done and it is a pressing issue. I think most of my executive actions will be popular with voters and they will see them as necessary and me just doing what is best for the country. 

7 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

@vcczar I rolled a 6, this will be fun.

In my first 100 days I will repeal the Bump Stock Ban as well as end HARPA research. I'll work to restore NAFTA with a stronger Free Trade agreement. I'd also move to actually cut the spending in FY2020 and with Congress firmly on my side maybe I could do it. 

I'd work a lot on rhetorically uniting the nation and with a *mostly* harmonious Congress hopefully my reforms would be bettter received than under a contentious administration. Also I'd hope that my reversal of some of my predecessor's policies would build good will, as well as my support for the federal legalization of marijuana and the decriminalization of other drugs. I'd also end a lot of federal mandates that burden states against the 10th amendment. I'd finally defund Planned Parenthood. I'd really have to get to work with a lot of repealing.

These are my initial thoughts, I'll have to think about how my first 100 days, then the next 2 years until the midterms would go with Congress entirely on my side, I'll come back to this and flesh it out later.

What exactly are "bump stocks," and why are they such an issue?

2 hours ago, Patine said:

What exactly are "bump stocks," and why are they such an issue?

A custom firearm stock that uses recoil to "bump" the trigger against the shooter's finger to mimic the bump firing technique easier. I used to have some but they're at the bottom of Lake Erie due to a boating accident that happened the day they got banned. The issue arises because it violates civil liberties and sets a dangerous precedent on unwarranted, unchecked firearm restrictions. It doesn't make the weapon fully-automatic (or full semi-automatic, as CNN likes to say), it is still one bullet per trigger-pull. Anyone with basic firearms training can simulate bump-firing without a bump stock with a loose grip on the weapon, that and the fact that anyone can make one on a lazy Saturday for like $10 and an hour makes it an unnecessary and ridiculous regulation to enforce.

Regardless, ordering a collection of firearm accessories without due process is extremely unconstitutional, but I don't expect you to support the constitution anyways.

I got a five. I think I could get a lot done with both houses in my control.

Executive Action

Pardon Chelsea Manning, Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, and every other whistleblower.

Normalize relations with Iran, Cuba, the DPRK, Venezuela, Bolivia, and China 

End support for the fake "presidencies" of Guaidó in Venezuela, and Áñez in Bolivia

Withdraw American troops from places like Germany and Okinawa, where we're no longer defending anything

Legislative action

Repeal the Espionage Act, and the PATRIOT Act

Eliminate subsidies for fossil fuels, increase subsidies for Renewable, and Nuclear energy

Push for a Federal Job Guarantee

Repeal the Taft-Hartley Act, ban so called "Right-to-Work" laws, protect union salts

End the War on Drugs

Repeal the Hague Invasion Act, and petition the Senate to join the Rome Statute and recognize the authority of the ICC

Repeal the Trump Tax Cuts, and reform the tax code in a highly progressive manner

Guarantee Healthcare for all 

Bring about sweeping campaign finance reform

2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

A custom firearm stock that uses recoil to "bump" the trigger against the shooter's finger to mimic the bump firing technique easier. I used to have some but they're at the bottom of Lake Erie due to a boating accident that happened the day they got banned. The issue arises because it violates civil liberties and sets a dangerous precedent on unwarranted, unchecked firearm restrictions. It doesn't make the weapon fully-automatic (or full semi-automatic, as CNN likes to say), it is still one bullet per trigger-pull. Anyone with basic firearms training can simulate bump-firing without a bump stock with a loose grip on the weapon, that and the fact that anyone can make one on a lazy Saturday for like $10 and an hour makes it an unnecessary and ridiculous regulation to enforce.

Regardless, ordering a collection of firearm accessories without due process is extremely unconstitutional, but I don't expect you to support the constitution anyways.

Ah, so @Reagan04 has as a high priority of his platform re-enabling Americans' ease of killing each other rapidly, quickly, and efficiently, especially when mass shootings are an issue. But this, and many other policies leading to huge, mass amounts of deliberate and knowingly negligent death, by government and private citizens and corporations, domestically and abroad, seem to be very strong and powerful planks of the modern American "Pro-Life Christian Conservatives." Go figure...

2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

but I don't expect you to support the constitution anyways.

Well, the U.S. Federal Government over EVERY single administration from FDR onward and the leadership and movers of both major political parties don't REALLY support it or honour it outside lip service either, so...

7 hours ago, Patine said:

Ah, so @Reagan04 has as a high priority of his platform re-enabling Americans' ease of killing each other rapidly, quickly, and efficiently, especially when mass shootings are an issue. But this, and many other policies leading to huge, mass amounts of deliberate and knowingly negligent death, by government and private citizens and corporations, domestically and abroad, seem to be very strong and powerful planks of the modern American "Pro-Life Christian Conservatives." Go figure...

I'd squirt you with a water bottle if I could

Had I rolled a 6, and had total control over Congress and could pass anything I wanted, then one of the many things I"d pass would be Education Reform. 

As I believe ignorance is the greatest sin of humankind, I would have a massive overhaul of the education system. Pre-K, Elementary, Middle School, and High School will be free. Those from poorer families will not have to pay for school supplies or transportation to school. Additionally, the curriculum is going to go from a focus on rote memory and standardize tests to one that focuses more on logic, reasoning, research, creativity, and practicality. School lunches will be a lot healthier. There will also be more of an attempt to figure out why students are failing. A lot of the time, it's stuff going on at home, being bullied at school, or something that's more psychological. The school will adapt to create some sort of environment that builds confidence and comfort in learning without reducing how challenging the work is. Schools will also adopt some of the Finnish school model for high school -- subjects will not be taught in high school, but topics will be taught, using a hybrid of the subjects learned in Elementary and Middle School. That is, students will learn how to apply various subject to examine and learn about a single topic. Topics will be selected by the students as best as practical. Movement from grade-to-grade will be based on how swiftly, eagerly, and completely the student learns the material. Anyone held back a grade will be placed in classes that are more specifically geared towards that student's unique learning style in an effort to get them caught up rapidly, ideally over the summer, so they can rejoin their original classmates. 

Following high school, if the student isn't certain what they want to major in, the graduate will have the option to do non-combat national service or go to the reformed Community Colleges. Both of these are geared to help the student find a major/career that they both enjoy and are competent in. These are both free, and the national service pays for room, board, and pays minimum wage. Both of these last for two years.

Following graduation from high school, or the two-year transition period, graduates will go to University. University, including food and board, is now on a Pay as You Earn system, meaning that it is tied to family income. Student loans will be unnecessary and all existing student loan debt will be forgiven for anyone below a certain income and reduced for those above a certain income level. University majors will be reformed so that the old "core classes" are abolished. These are often subjects already learned in elementary, middle school, and high school, and often have no relation to the major or career direction of the students. The only global classes that will be required are one semester of writing, one semester of US government, one semester of logic, and a new one semester class that can be considered a think tank class designed to teach students methods of thinking elastically/creatively. In this latter class, students will operate like a think tank and come up with various ideas, expound on those ideas, and fine tune them. All of these 4 global classes will be taught the first semester of University. All other classes are geared specifically for the major of the student. For instance, a literature major will not take any mathematics courses and vice-versa. However, classes like history, government, psychology, philosophy, will still be taught but they will be directed towards the majors. Thus, someone majoring in architecture would learn the history of architecture, how the government impacts architects and architectural firms, the psychology of architecture, the philosophy of architecture, the art of architecture, the business of architecture, etc. 

All Universities will have a pro-active jobs department. They will actively seek jobs for their students while they are in school, so that the student has paid work in their major after graduation. This will be done in communication with the student, and won't apply to any student seeking graduate school. 

Students must average at least an A- to go to graduate school, and they'll need at least a C- to graduate from University. Any student short of the A- to make graduate school may retake courses over the Summer to raise their grade. Master's Degrees programs will be a combination of focused learning within the major and work in the field of the major. The degree lasts until the mentor believes the student has shown both competency as a worker, a thinker in their field of research, and has a clear and specific idea of what they want to do after the Master's Degree. A graduate school pro-active jobs department will actively seek gainful employment for any Masters student not seeking a PhD or equivalent program. The PhD level degree will operate similarly to the Master's program but it will be mostly independent research, more minimal work load, with  the idea of producing some sort of innovative final project (dissertation or other). The graduate school pro-active jobs departments will help these students as well.

All schools will have more student mental health counselors. School athletic programs might be privatized but loosely connected to the schools. 

In short, schools will be reformed to emphasize thinking, creativity, employment, and excellence. More teachers will be needed--and good teachers at that--as such there must be an economic incentive for citizens to choose being a teacher over other potential avenues of employment. Ideally, no class will exceed 12 students and never more than 20. Teachers will need to have a significant raise, and/or just a decent raise with major benefits, enough so that there is an endless supply of potential quality educators seeking to teach, especially at the pre-college level. 

5 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I'd squirt you with a water bottle if I could

But at least you wouldn't be doing anything lethal. And, of course, I notice you had no defence or argument against my point there, just seeming annoyance I brought it up. How can a religion of life, love, charity, peace, and forgiveness, flourish - and certainly be the guiding and foundational faith upon which all law and principal is based - in an empire of death, hate, greed, war, violence, and vindictiveness?

15 hours ago, Patine said:

Well, the U.S. Federal Government over EVERY single administration from FDR onward and the leadership and movers of both major political parties don't REALLY support it or honour it outside lip service either, so...

15 hours ago, Patine said:

Ah yes the old "More Freedom means More Death" The same argument for tyranny which was used to pass the Patriot Act, which I would happily also have repealed in my first 100 days. 

13 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Ah yes the old "More Freedom means More Death" The same argument for tyranny which was used to pass the Patriot Act, which I would happily also have repealed in my first 100 days. 

I think you know exactly what I'm talking about, and the much larger scope of deliberate and knowingly negligent death the American "Pro-Life" crowd are always promoting, and then "virtue laundering," by harping on abortion, euthanasia, and a family values structure that is not that THAT much older, as specifically advocated, relatively speaking, in history than the "alternative families" railed against, and are trying to divert or rephrase my point. And, one does not require bump stocks to be free, and to say one does is loathsomely disingenuous. The Pro-Gun lobby ceased to be about "freedom" in any way, shape, or form in the '50's, and is now about massive profits for firearms and munitions manufacturers and their vile front of lies and dissemination, the National Rifle Association, both of which are run by soulless sociopaths who see mass-shootings and gangland violence as generating dollar signs.

image.png.63cbc4442d4a61a97051b9ee5d2e5695.png

Since there's now an apparently radical-independent majority in both houses of Congress, I can push a lot of tougher policy I want. I'll highlight the most important or feasible policy for just 100 days:

Constitutional Amendments I'd push for:

• Ranked choice voting for all federal offices
  • Independent redistricting commissions for Congressional districts
  • An amendment effectively overturning the Citizens United decision by explicitly stating donations can be subject to regulation
  • Adopting the ERA
  • Everything but true statehood for Washington, D.C. - grant voting house and senate members, but keep as a federal district

Legislation I'd push for:

• Lifting the cap on the House of Representatives member size by implementing the Wyoming Rule or something similar
  • Deficit reduction via tax reform to eliminate certain deductions and reallocation of spending priorities away from the military and towards domestic programs
  • Ratify the ICESCR and other worldwide human rights treaties
  • An increase of the federal minimum wage to $11 with automatic annual cost-of-living-adjusted increases
  • Banning tax-exempt organizations other than specifically designated political organizations from direct or indirect political spending
  • Rolling back changes made to grant the Presidency more power, such as the War Powers Act
  • Ban lobbying
  • Rejoin the Paris agreement
  • Work certain past executive orders like DACA into law as part of reducing the power of executive orders while carrying over existing programs

Non-legislation/constitutional things I'd push:

• Affirming the US's support for human rights around the world, cutting ties with genocidal regimes and dictatorships and supporting countries that support human rights in areas where human rights are scarce
  • Reverse the zero-tolerance policy on immigration

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think you know exactly what I'm talking about, and the much larger scope of deliberate and knowingly negligent death the American "Pro-Life" crowd are always promoting, and then "virtue laundering," by harping on abortion, euthanasia, and a family values structure that is not that THAT much older, as specifically advocated, relatively speaking, in history than the "alternative families" railed against, and are trying to divert or rephrase my point. And, one does not require bump stocks to be free, and to say one does is loathsomely disingenuous. The Pro-Gun lobby ceased to be about "freedom" in any way, shape, or form in the '50's, and is now about massive profits for firearms and munitions manufacturers and their vile front of lies and dissemination, the National Rifle Association, both of which are run by soulless sociopaths who see mass-shootings and gangland violence as generating dollar signs.

This is just a word jumble Patine.

1. I am Pro-Life, Anti-War, Pro-Freedom

2. I'm not talking about family values here, that's just a tangent

3. One doesn't need to have a phone call to be free either then I suppose, turns out the Patriot Act for all the lives it saved was worth it since who needs privacy.

4. Where did I say I support the NRA? I don't. I am not the NRA, I actually do care about freedom.

Try better next time to get me on one of your winding trap sentences though.

43 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

This is just a word jumble Patine.

1. I am Pro-Life, Anti-War, Pro-Freedom

2. I'm not talking about family values here, that's just a tangent

3. One doesn't need to have a phone call to be free either then I suppose, turns out the Patriot Act for all the lives it saved was worth it since who needs privacy.

4. Where did I say I support the NRA? I don't. I am not the NRA, I actually do care about freedom.

Try better next time to get me on one of your winding trap sentences though.

The tell me, without falling upon Constitutional wording or 18th Century contextual thinking, how military-grade firearms and bump stocks and other "efficient-killing" ammunition being freely available has anything to do with "freedom," in the modern day and age?

2 hours ago, Patine said:

The tell me, without falling upon Constitutional wording or 18th Century contextual thinking, how military-grade firearms and bump stocks and other "efficient-killing" ammunition being freely available has anything to do with "freedom," in the modern day and age?

If you won't allow use of the Consitution you clearly have no idea the proper role of government in a functioning republic. Better to leave its unchecked power to the whims of the mercurial masses.

14 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

If you won't allow use of the Consitution you clearly have no idea the proper role of government in a functioning republic. Better to leave its unchecked power to the whims of the mercurial masses.

The wording of the 2nd Amendment was written at a time when the military and common farmers and hunters used identical firearms and ammunition, and there was no conception of "military grade," and thus the inherent problems and issues, and ratcheting of gun crime deaths with unacceptable ease, could not have been foreseen.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

The wording of the 2nd Amendment was written at a time when the military and common farmers and hunters used identical firearms and ammunition, and there was no conception of "military grade," and thus the inherent problems and issues, and ratcheting of gun crime deaths with unacceptable ease, could not have been foreseen.

That's also the time that all the other amendments were written. Quite frankly it's also a time far more advanced than when the words "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do" were spoken then written down.

I'm of course not saying the Founding Fathers were God, I'm simply saying that good ideas don't become non-good by sole function of their time. Tyranny was tyranny in 1789 just as it is in 2019.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

That's also the time that all the other amendments were written. Quite frankly it's also a time far more advanced than when the words "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do" were spoken then written down.

I'm of course not saying the Founding Fathers were God, I'm simply saying that good ideas don't become non-good by sole function of their time. Tyranny was tyranny in 1789 just as it is in 2019.

But you seem to be dismissing the concept of changes in context to the application of the Bill of Rights, promoting, along with others who do so, a "timeless wisdom and rhetoric" to them that is frankly not there. And the U.S. Supreme, subject to political patronage and spoils appointments and chosen for ideology over clarity, has not been the firm hand on the tiller reliably it should be, and has produced a lot of dubious and suspect rulings.

I found this interesting poll, which may help as folks consider what they could get passed in their first 100 days -- especially if they have an unfriendly congress.

How much support do various Democratic policies get?

Percentage supporting each policy position

POLICY POSITION DEMOCRATS REPUBLICANS ADULTS
Medicare for All who want it 90% 46% 70%
Wealth tax 88 32 62
Green new deal 86 26 63
Assault weapons ban 83 29 57
Legalizing marijuana 74 41 63
Medicare for All 64 14 41
Abolishing death penalty 55 16 36
Reparations 46 3 27

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, vcczar said:

Here's another thought-experiment. 

Roll a virtual die: https://www.random.org/dice/     If you get a 1, then both the US House and US Senate are firmly controlled by the opposing party. If you get a 2, then you control the US House but not the US Senate. If you get a 3, then you control the US Senate but not the US House. If you get a 4, then you control the US House but there is a tie in the US Senate (VP breaks tie). If you get a 5, then you control the US House and the US Senate but not by a large margin. If you get a 6, then you have US Senate and US Rep dominance and can basically pass/repeal whatever you wish. 

The media and voters put a lot of stock in the "First 100 Days" of a presidency. These days could set the tone of your approval/disapproval rating and overall party support for Midterms and the next general elections. 

If you were elected president in the 2020 election, what would do as president in the first 100 days, whether through Congress or through the office of the President? Do you think your efforts would be successful considering the Houses of Congress you've inherited? Do you think these successes or failures in your first 100 days will help or hurt your party in the Mid-terms or next General Election, including your reelection bid? What will your opponent likely use as fuel to defeat you in 2024?

I'd firmly expect the U.S. employed terrorist organization, the CIA, or one of their Unconstitutional secret police agencies, the DHS or NSA, would have me assassinated before the 100 days were done, to be honest.