270soft Forum
vcczar

Negative Partisanship Poll

Analysts are shifting in the way they make their predictions, favoring what is called “negative partisanship” in the era of Trump. That is, hatred or dislike of the other candidate is now more of a motivating factor than party loyalty. It mostly ignores voting b/c of liking a candidate, which is a little odd. Those in favor of this system believe this played a role in 2016. Here’s a poll for us:

Q1: What motivates you more to vote? Party loyalty or disliking the other candidate?

Q2: On a scale from 0-100 with 0 = Absolute hatred and 100 = absolute adoration, how would you rate your feelings for the following as a candidate?

Biden

Sanders

Warren

Buttigieg

Harris

Yang

Gabbard

Trump

Pence

Cruz

Kasich

Weld

B. Obama

GW Bush

H. Clinton

Romney

J. McCain

59 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Analysts are shifting in the way they make their predictions, favoring what is called “negative partisanship” in the era of Trump. That is, hatred or dislike of the other candidate is now more of a motivating factor than party loyalty. It mostly ignores voting b/c of liking a candidate, which is a little odd. Those in favor of this system believe this played a role in 2016. Here’s a poll for us:

Q1: What motivates you more to vote? Party loyalty or disliking the other candidate?

Q2: On a scale from 0-100 with 0 = Absolute hatred and 100 = absolute adoration, how would you rate your feelings for the following as a candidate?

Biden 45

Sanders 85

Warren 80

Buttigieg 75

Harris 25

Yang 65

Gabbard 55

Trump 15

Pence 20

Cruz 20

Kasich 35

Weld 50

B. Obama 80

GW Bush 20

H. Clinton 55

Romney 30

J. McCain 20

Q1: I'm more motivated to vote out of desired policy change than either of these two options. Between the two, I'd say hating the other candidate more. 

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

Q1: What motivates you more to vote? Party loyalty or disliking the other candidate? The issues and consistency/integrity

Biden 35

Sanders 95

Warren 75

Buttigieg 35

Harris 30

Yang 80

Gabbard 85

Trump 20

Pence 15

Cruz 10

Kasich 50

Weld 50

B. Obama 60

GW Bush 15

H. Clinton 25

Romney 30

J. McCain 40

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Biden 20

Sanders 95

Warren 70

Buttigieg 25

Harris 15

Yang 80

Gabbard 70

Trump 20

Pence 15

Cruz 10

Kasich 30

Weld 45

B. Obama 45

GW Bush 5

H. Clinton 20

Romney 15

J. McCain 25

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Neither of these motivate me to vote for a candidate.

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Biden

Sanders

Warren

Buttigieg

Harris

Yang

Gabbard

Trump

Pence

Cruz

Kasich

Weld

B. Obama

GW Bush

H. Clinton

Romney

J. McCain

Whether it's party loyalty or negative partisanship, firm party bloc are toxic to the political environment, and, at the end of the day, to the nation and people and their interests. Partisan politics in the U.S. are becoming dangerously polarized in a way that rational thinking, logical and pragmatic viewpoints, long-term planning, and any civil discourse are being sabotaged from BOTH sides. This situation is very worrisome and precarious, and will likely not end well. In fact, both the majority of Republicans coalescing behind a President who does NOT personally follow or embody any of the ideological beliefs of ANY of the camps of the party - Social Conservatives, Neoconservatives, Libertarians, Free-Trade Enterprise types, War-Hawks, etc. - and probably has the party, his oath of office, and even his own nation as a lower personal priority to his own ego and self-promotion, or the Democratic myopic view of "defeat Trump at all costs, it doesn't matter who the candidate is, or what political damage need be done, only beating Trump matters at this time, and don't you dare bring up concerns about the final candidate, or fear beyond inauguration day, that's not the issue at the moment - foresight and concern outside beating Trump is not welcome here," attitude, are BOTH seriously destructive mentalities, but even they are just symptoms, not the cause, of a larger problem. The United States is being torn apart from within. It's integrity, as "one nation united under God," - to quote one of those ubiquitous national mottos - is in SERIOUS jeopardy. This is a far worse political threat, right now, to the United States, as a nation, than Russia, China, North Korea, or "Islamist Extremism." The lessons of the 1850's United States, or the Weimar Republic, are being utterly ignored, probably with the complacent belief that "such things just could not happen in the United States today."

1: What motivates you more to vote? Party loyalty or disliking the other candidate?

Neither.  I'm looking for the smartest candidate with the best of intentions, who is capable of making the difficult decisions.  You rarely/never find all three in the same person, so it's a balancing act between the three.  That said, Trump scores a 0 on all 3 measures, so literally anyone else would be better.

Biden: 65.  I was extremely fond of him during the Obama years, but his time has passed.

Sanders:  60.  Good intentions, but can not possibly deliver on his promises.  

Warren.  75.  Would be a solid President, but I'm worried about her chances in the General election.  I also think she'd do nothing to heal the deep divide in our country.

Buttigieg: 100.  I believe he is the perfect candidate at the perfect time -- the only President who is committed to actually fixing the divide.

Harris: 45.  I would accept her if she was the candidate, but her campaign is plummeting so it's not going to happen.

Yang: 25.  I don't dislike him as a person, but he has no concept of what it takes to be President.

Gabbard: 1.  From day one, I've had an extreme repulsion from her -- there's something deep there that I strongly distrust, independent of her policy proposals or values.

Trump:  -1,00000000.  I'm not a fan.  I don't know if you knew that about me.  I keep it pretty close to the chest.  ;c)

Pence:  0.  Archaic views on gay marriage.  Non-starter.

Cruz: 0. Archaic views on gay marriage.  Non-starter.

Kasich:  40.  He's actually a good guy, and was a good Governor.  Just completely inept as a candidate, and embarrassing on the debate stage.

Weld: 30.  I'll admit I don't know much about him, other than that he seemed smarter than Johnson.  That said, I don't really have a lot of overlap between my beliefs and those of the Libertarians.

B. Obama: 80.  Great Domestic President, but racked up some failures overseas.

GW Bush: 75:  He was dead wrong about gay marriage, but so was I at the start of his Presidency.  He did the best he could do during the most difficult time of the modern Presidential era.  And seeing his post-presidency efforts, where he's taken up painting the portraits of injured soldiers as part of a healing process means a lot to me.

H. Clinton: 70.  I believe she would have been a great President, but she failed at what should have been the easiest job in the world: beating Donald Trump.

Romney: 0. Archaic views on gay marriage.  Non-starter.  

J. McCain: 60.  I appreciated that he was mostly a moderate Republican, and his views on gay marriage got much better in his later years.  That said, he did give us Sarah Palin, which gave us the tea party, which gave us Donald Trump.  If not for Sarah Palin, he could have been 100.

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Biden 55

Sanders 80  (Would be 85 were he younger)

Warren  80 (She's risen from 70 since running for the presidency)

Buttigieg 60 

Harris  45

Yang  60

Gabbard  45

Trump   10

Pence   5

Cruz   0

Kasich  45

Weld  50

B. Obama  65

GW Bush 15

H. Clinton  45

Romney 30

J. McCain 35

My numbers are above. I do think disliking a candidate probably motivates me slightly more than party loyalty. I vote out of a sense of duty more than anything though. I'll always vote for the more socially liberal administration. But in regards to energy, disliking the other candidate helps.  

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Whether it's party loyalty or negative partisanship, firm party bloc are toxic to the political environment, and, at the end of the day, to the nation and people and their interests. Partisan politics in the U.S. are becoming dangerously polarized in a way that rational thinking, logical and pragmatic viewpoints, long-term planning, and any civil discourse are being sabotaged from BOTH sides. This situation is very worrisome and precarious, and will likely not end well. In fact, both the majority of Republicans coalescing behind a President who does NOT personally follow or embody any of the ideological beliefs of ANY of the camps of the party - Social Conservatives, Neoconservatives, Libertarians, Free-Trade Enterprise types, War-Hawks, etc. - and probably has the party, his oath of office, and even his own nation as a lower personal priority to his own ego and self-promotion, or the Democratic myopic view of "defeat Trump at all costs, it doesn't matter who the candidate is, or what political damage need be done, only beating Trump matters at this time, and don't you dare bring up concerns about the final candidate, or fear beyond inauguration day, that's not the issue at the moment - foresight and concern outside beating Trump is not welcome here," attitude, are BOTH seriously destructive mentalities, but even they are just symptoms, not the cause, of a larger problem. The United States is being torn apart from within. It's integrity, as "one nation united under God," - to quote one of those ubiquitous national mottos - is in SERIOUS jeopardy. This is a far worse political threat, right now, to the United States, as a nation, than Russia, China, North Korea, or "Islamist Extremism." The lessons of the 1850's United States, or the Weimar Republic, are being utterly ignored, probably with the complacent belief that "such things just could not happen in the United States today."

I'd like to see the numbers you give to these politicians that I list. Shouldn't take you too long since it's based off of current gut feelings. 

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'd like to see the numbers you give to these politicians that I list. Shouldn't take you too long since it's based off of current gut feelings. 

Biden - 45

Sanders - 65

Warren - 55

Buttigieg - 30

Harris - 25

Yang - 60

Gabbard -30

Trump - 25

Pence - 20

Cruz - 20

Kasich - 30

Weld - 30

B. Obama - 45

GW Bush - 10

H. Clinton - 25

Romney - 30

J. McCain -20

There you go.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Biden - 45

Sanders - 65

Warren - 55

Buttigieg - 35

Harris - 25

Yang - 60

Gabbard -35

Trump - 25

Pence - 20

Cruz - 20

Kasich - 30

Weld - 30

B. Obama - 45

GW Bush - 10

H. Clinton - 25

Romney - 30

J. McCain -20

There you go.

Thanks! One thing I notice is that you don't candidates as high or as low as most people. Bush seems to be your least favorite while Sanders is your favorite. You also seem to be rather bipartisan or nonpartisan in your dislikes, which is unique. For instance, you seem to have no preference of Trump over Clinton or Harris. Or that you prefer Kasich and Romney to Clinton and Harris. Not a judgment, just an observation. 

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

Biden 30

Sanders 10

Warren 10

Buttigieg 25

Harris 5

Yang 50

Gabbard 80

Trump 40

Pence 70

Cruz 65

Kasich 35

Weld 45

B. Obama 40

GW Bush 35

H. Clinton 10

Romney 80

J. McCain 35

Q1: Neither motivates me to vote. I enjoy voting more than anything based off the principle that it represents. 

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

Biden 60. While I disagree on a lot of his policies, I think he is a statesmen deserving of respect across the aisle, he is a good man.

Sanders 5 Probably one of the most abhorrent candidates for President the past 50 years. I won't give anyone a straight 0 or 100, but this guy is pretty damn close. He gets the extra 5 because I can clearly tell he loves his grandchildren, if only he weren't so preoccupied with destroying the world they'd inherent. He should go back to playing monster with that.

Warren 10 Only slightly better than Sanders, she scares me just as much as Trump. At this point only Sanders is worse than Trump.

Buttigieg 40 This is another case of terrible policies but under that I see a good man

Harris 5 Bad Policies, bad person, no good

Yang 55 He has a lot of interesting, if naive ideas, but understands the underlining cultural movements at play in America like few others

Gabbard 60 She's a vet, she's honest, she's a hard worker. She's starting to moderate, things are looking up for me for Gabbard, but she still has a long ass way to go.

Trump 5 Oh God pls no -  As a Republican I hold him to a higher standard and he fails that bar miserably

Pence 80 Pretty fantastic Governor, pretty solid views, I just can't stand the genuflecting to Trump

Cruz 80 My guy in 2016 easily, would have made a fantastic President, it's just that it was foiled by his support for Trump

Kasich 55 At least he's got a spine even if his policies are weak sauce

Weld 25 No spine, no policies, no good

B. Obama 30 I'm sure he was a nice guy in his spare time, just not my cup of tea, also a terrible President overall

GW Bush 70 He did well with what he was given despite some faltering on the issue of the free market and surveillance, overall solid President

H. Clinton 20 

Romney 85 Similar to Bush, he made some mistakes, but his courage in the face of Trump wins him major props

J. McCain 90 A war hero, a wonderful father and grandfather, a solid conservative, would have been a great successor to Bush, he just messed up the whole Obamacare repeal a bit

I'd say I am motivated by candidates that a) have policies which align to mine and b) can communicate those policies charismatically, intelligently, and well. That's probably my baseline, so obviously Cruz was my candidate in 2016. I definitely then would hold Republicans to a higher standard on issues because I know my party can be better.

18 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I'd say I am motivated by candidates that a) have policies which align to mine and b) can communicate those policies charismatically, intelligently, and well. That's probably my baseline, so obviously Cruz was my candidate in 2016. I definitely then would hold Republicans to a higher standard on issues because I know my party can be better.

Thanks for sharing. I'd argue that Weld has a spine. He was the first to declare to run against Trump. I don't think he would have run as a Libertarian, except that Trump got the nomination for the GOP. His policies are just Massachusetts Republican. 

24 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I will say nothing (for a change).

Ok, I tried making something that might show who would be the most motivated in these circumstances. My system uses both negative partisanship and candidate enthusiasm, and then just uses the gap between:

Biden vs. Trump

Actinguy: 65-0 *Would be most motivated to vote in both my system and in a negative partisan system*
Reagan: 60-5
VCCzar 55-10
Caleb: 45-15
Patine 45-25
Dr. Insano: 35-20
WVP: 20-20 *Least motivated to vote overall*
SilentL: 30-40 *Least motivated to vote for Biden, likely to vote for Trump*

Warren vs. Trump
Actinguy: 75-0 *Would be most motivated to vote in both my system and in a negative partisan system*
VCCzar: 80-10
Caleb: 80-15
Dr. Insano: 75-20
WVP: 70-20
Patine 55-25
Reagan: 10-5 *Least motivated to vote overall*
SilentL: 10-40 *Most motivated to vote for Trump*

Clinton vs. Trump
Actinguy: 70-0 *Would be most motivated to vote in both my system and in a negative partisan system*
Caleb: 55-15
VCCZar: 45-10
Reagan: 20-5
Dr. Insano: 25-20
WVP: 20-20 *tied for least motivated to vote*
Patine: 25-25 *tied for least motivated to vote*
SilentL: 10-40 *Like to vote for Trump, reluctantly*

Obama vs. Trump
Actinguy: 80-0 *Would be most motivated to vote in both my system and in a negative partisan system*
Caleb: 80-15
VCCzar: 65-10
Dr. Insane: 60-20
WVP: 45-20
Reagan: 30-5
Patine: 45-25
SilentL: 40-40 *Least motivated to vote*

Warren vs. Cruz
VCCzar: 80-0 *Would be most motivated to vote in both my system and in a negative partisan system*
Actinguy: 75-0 * Would be nearly as motivated*
Dr. Insane: 75-10
WVP: 70-10
Caleb: 80-20
Patine 55-20
SilentL: 10-65
Reagan: 10-80 *Would be most motivated to vote for Cruz*

Obama vs. Bush
Caleb: 80-20 *Would be most motivated to vote in my system*
VCCzar: 65-15
Dr. Insano: 60-15
Patine 45-10 *Would be most motivated to vote under negative partisanship*
Actinguy: 80-75
SilentL: 40-35 *Least motivated to vote overall*
Reagan: 30-70 *Most motivated to vote for Bush*

Overall observations:
Cruz is actually hated more than Trump, overall, suggesting he'd motivate more people to vote against him. This might explain why O'Rourke did as well as he did in 2018. 
Warren is actually seeming more electable under my system than Biden is, although Biden does better withstanding negative partisanship. 

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

Q1: What motivates you more to vote? Party loyalty or disliking the other candidate? Policies.

Biden 45

Sanders 100

Warren 95

Buttigieg 60

Harris 50

Yang 70

Gabbard 0

Trump 0

Pence 0

Cruz  0

Kasich 35

Weld Dont know enough

B. Obama 90

GW Bush 0

H. Clinton 30

Romney 10

J. McCain 65

1. I think disliking the other candidate is a bigger motivation. I didn't vote for Hillary just because she was a dem, I voted for her because I thought Trump's policies would have been a huge disaster for the country. I considered 3rd party but I realized that Trump was such a terrible candidate I had to give my vote to his main opposer even thought I wasn't from a safe swing state. 

Biden - 45 (liked him as VP, but seeing how out of touch he is with the party and running for president when his time clearly passed has caused him to drop considerably)

Sanders - 90 (my favorite politician)

Warren - 70 (may have been higher if you asked me a few months ago but lately she has done some things that have disappointed me

Buttigieg - 40 (he went from young rising progressive to  a moderate "we can't do that" candidate real fast)

Harris - 50

Yang - 60

Gabbard - 30

Trump - 10

Pence - 5

Cruz - 5

Kasich - 45

Weld - 50

B. Obama - 65

GW Bush - 20

H. Clinton - 45

Romney - 30

J. McCain - 30

Biden - 60

Sanders - 15

Warren - 20

Buttigieg - 80

Harris - 15

Yang - 55

Gabbard - 50

Trump - 25

Pence - 20

Cruz - 20

Kasich - 60

Weld - 30

B. Obama - 55

GW Bush - 45

H. Clinton - 40

Romney - 35

J. McCain - 55

On 11/11/2019 at 11:26 AM, vcczar said:

Neither mostly, but out of these two it’d be the latter.

Biden 40

Sanders 30

Warren 65

Buttigieg 55

Harris 45

Yang 40

Gabbard 15

Trump 15

Pence 20

Cruz 25

Kasich 45

Weld 80

B. Obama 70

GW Bush 55

H. Clinton 30

Romney 40

J. McCain 65

Biden 22

Sanders 96

Warren 87

Buttigieg 94

Harris 29

Yang 98

Gabbard 62

Trump 5

Pence 3

Cruz 7

Kasich 5

Weld 8

B. Obama 96

GW Bush 12

H. Clinton 2

Romney 19

J. McCain 53

Here is mine. (I forgot to log in it's TheMiddlePolitical)

54 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical2 said:

Here is mine. (I forgot to log in it's TheMiddlePolitical)

Weren’t you a Trump supporter in 2016?

Biden 10

Sanders 5

Warren 4

Buttigieg 70

Harris 6

Yang 75

Gabbard 95

Trump 95

Pence 60

Cruz 60

Kasich 10

Weld 15

B. Obama 60

GW Bush 65

H. Clinton 20

Romney 45

J. McCain 20

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I think out of everyone that has posted their #s, yours makes the least since as it appears to not be partisan or even obviously ideological. I'd argue that maybe force of personality is the biggest fact but that would discount your rating of the ever-bland Pence. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think out of everyone that has posted their #s, yours makes the least since as it appears to not be partisan or even obviously ideological. I'd argue that maybe force of personality is the biggest fact but that would discount your rating of the ever-bland Pence. 

I like how awkward he is