Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

Democratic Cabinet 2021 Thought-Experiment

Recommended Posts

Here's another cabinet thought-experiment. This considers the usual makeup of the cabinet. If you would prefer, you can build a 2nd term Trump cabinet. Pretend you are in charge in organize the cabinet for whoever the president is. The forum member that can best fit the instructions wins! 

Instructions:

  • Select who you think will be the president and VP in 2021
  • Consider that there are usually 3 to 5 women in the cabinet. Assume that you are pressured to have more women. 
  • Consider that there are usually about 3 or 4 African-American cabinet members. Assume that you are pressured to have more African-Americans in your cabinet. 
  • Consider that there are about 3 Hispanics in the cabinet. Assume you are pressed to have more.
  • Consider that there are about 2-3 Asians in the cabinet. Assume you are pressed to have more. 
  • Consider that you need to represent the different regions of the country in the cabinet. You are encouraged to reward regions that are favorable to you, but you also want to expand to regions that feel ignored by your party. 
  • Consider that about half of cabinet members come from an un-elected backgroud, as in, they are policy wonks, former cabinet, state cabinet, university professors, scientists, etc. You are pressured to rely on experts over elected officials. 
  • Consider that about half of cabinet offices are from an elected background, such as Govs, Senators, Fed Judge, US Reps, and mayors. You are advised to include some of the more popular elected officials to make your cabinet and administration more popular. You are also advised to bring a promising mayor to the cabinet in hopes that they may develop into a major figure in your party. You are also advised not to select a Senator that would be replaced by a governor of the opposite party. 
  • You are advised to appoint one to three of the following: An Independent, a cabinet member of the opposing wing of your party, a member of the other party, or a political rival in the recent election. 

Let's see who can solve this puzzle! Use the offices below. 

President:

VP:

State:

Treasury:

Defense:

Att Gen:

Interior:

Agriculture:

Commerce:

Labor:

HUD:

Health, etc.:

Transportation:

Education:

Energy:

Veteran's Affairs:

Homeland Security:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's your 2021 US Cabinet!!!!

President: Elizabeth Warren, MA

VP: Bob Casey, PA

State: Jon Huntsman, UT

Treasury: Stephanie Kelton, NY (Post-Keynsian Economist and professor)

Defense:  Ro Khanna, CA (Indian-American Sanders supporter, US Rep on Armed Services Committee)

Att Gen: Stacey Abrams, GA

Interior: Bill McKibben, VT (A leading Environmentalist)

Agriculture: Austin Frerick, IA (Agriculturalist and Environmentalist)

Commerce: Andrew Yang, NY

Labor: Ai-jen Poo, PA or NY (Taiwanese-American labor activist and McArthur Genius Grant Fellow) 

HUD: Chokwe Lumumba, MS (Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi)

Health, etc.:  Abdul El-Sayed, MI (Former exec director of Detroit Health Dept., professor, physician)

Transportation: Julian Castro, TX

Education: Jahana Hayes, CT (Current US Rep, gained recognition as Teacher of the Year prior to entering politics)

Energy: Ernest Moniz, MA (Served in this position for Obama; nuclear physicist)

Veteran's Affairs: Tammy Duckworth, IL

Homeland Security: Pete Buttigieg, IN

It probably won't look like this, but this would be an incredibly diverse cabinet that would make her progressive base happy to vote for her. It would also likely wed many Bernie Sanders supporters to her wing. She's also keeping on two Obama cabinet members. Left-leaning Independents would be happy to see Yang in there. The Biden wing would be happy with VP Casey, Buttigieg, the two Obama holdovers, and Abrams. Never Trump Republicans and moderates skeptical of a Warren administration would like the inclusion of Huntsman at the most important cabinet position. Duckworth would be the first physically handicapped cabinet officer. Buttigieg might be the first openly gay cabinet officer. The cabinet is regionally diverse as well. It is composed of many eminent experts.  

@Actinguy @Herbert Hoover @Reagan04 @ThePotatoWalrus @admin_270 @Patine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

President: Trump

VP: Pence

State: Pompeo

Treasury: Ron Paul

Defense: Gabbard

Anyone else can be anyone else and I'd be happy

You REALLY hate your country, don't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Here's your 2021 US Cabinet!!!!

President: Elizabeth Warren, MA

VP: Bob Casey, PA

State: Jon Huntsman, UT

Treasury: Stephanie Kelton, NY (Post-Keynsian Economist and professor)

Defense:  Ro Khanna, CA (Indian-American Sanders supporter, US Rep on Armed Services Committee)

Att Gen: Stacey Abrams, GA

Interior: Bill McKibben, VT (A leading Environmentalist)

Agriculture: Austin Frerick, IA (Agriculturalist and Environmentalist)

Commerce: Andrew Yang, NY

Labor: Ai-jen Poo, PA or NY (Taiwanese-American labor activist and McArthur Genius Grant Fellow) 

HUD: Chokwe Lumumba, MS (Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi)

Health, etc.:  Abdul El-Sayed, MI (Former exec director of Detroit Health Dept., professor, physician)

Transportation: Julian Castro, TX

Education: Jahana Hayes, CT (Current US Rep, gained recognition as Teacher of the Year prior to entering politics)

Energy: Ernest Moniz, MA (Served in this position for Obama; nuclear physicist)

Veteran's Affairs: Tammy Duckworth, IL

Homeland Security: Pete Buttigieg, IN

It probably won't look like this, but this would be an incredibly diverse cabinet that would make her progressive base happy to vote for her. It would also likely wed many Bernie Sanders supporters to her wing. She's also keeping on two Obama cabinet members. Left-leaning Independents would be happy to see Yang in there. The Biden wing would be happy with VP Casey, Buttigieg, the two Obama holdovers, and Abrams. Never Trump Republicans and moderates skeptical of a Warren administration would like the inclusion of Huntsman at the most important cabinet position. Duckworth would be the first physically handicapped cabinet officer. Buttigieg might be the first openly gay cabinet officer. The cabinet is regionally diverse as well. It is composed of many eminent experts.  

@Actinguy @Herbert Hoover @Reagan04 @ThePotatoWalrus @admin_270 @Patine

Making Buttigieg the "chief of the secret police" is one of the biggest gripes I have here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Patine said:

Making Buttigieg the "chief of the secret police" is one of the biggest gripes I have here.

It’s not like he operates autonomously or that he has any history that really translates to anything worse than the Sec of HS we’ve had. He’d be an improvement. What do you think of the cabinet otherwise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Not as much as you

You misunderstand. I don't hate the United State, or the American people. I hate the corrupt cartel of criminals and crooks who rob elections, lie to the American people and abuse their rights and thoroughly violate the mandates of office, who rig elections so they are unchallengeable at the ballot box because of institutional malfeasance, and commit high crimes constantly, but corrupt the law-enforcement and judicial system to protect them, completely unlike common Americans, as well the filthy corporate plutocrats who command far more power over individual politicians than those politicians' own constituents. I would VERY much like to see the American people become free of that Regime of Evil, and regain, in truth, their liberty, freedom, respectability, and dignity that so many don't even know they've lost because of the vile hoodwink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Patine said:

You misunderstand. I don't hate the United State, or the American people. I hate the corrupt cartel of criminals and crooks who rob elections, lie to the American people and abuse their rights and thoroughly violate the mandates of office, who rig elections so they are unchallengeable at the ballot box because of institutional malfeasance, and commit high crimes constantly, but corrupt the law-enforcement and judicial system to protect them, completely unlike common Americans, as well the filthy corporate plutocrats who command far more power over individual politicians than those politicians' own constituents. I would VERY much like to see the American people become free of that Regime of Evil, and regain, in truth, their liberty, freedom, respectability, and dignity that so many don't even know they've lost because of the vile hoodwink.

I think most Americans would agree with you too. 

If you had to rank US political corruption, abuse, etc. collectively on a scale from 1 to 100, with 1 being 100% corrupt and 100 being absolutely no corruption, what number would you give the US? For comparison, what would you give Canada, Mexico, North Korea, the UK, and Saudi Arabia. I'd also like to know which counties you think get closest to 100 and what number they'd get. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

President: Pete Buttigeg (You didn't mention sexuality in your demographics, but I'm claiming the points anyway.  Haha).

VP: Tulsi Gabbard - Asian, Woman, Rival, Elected (Rep, Hawaii)

State: Laureen Jobs - Woman, wonk (Business executive, widow of Steve Jobs)

Treasury: Roger Ferguson - Black, wonk (Economist, praised for expert handling of 9/11 as Federal Reserve Governor)

Defense: Michael K Nagata - Asian, Wonk (Army General)

Att Gen: Kamala Harris - Black, Asian, Woman, Rival, Elected (Senator, California)

Interior:  Shan Tsutsui - Asian, Elected (Former Lt. Gov, Hawaii)

Agriculture: Rohan Patel - Asian, wonk (Obama's Special Assistant, advised on a host of items including agriculture)

Commerce: Amy Gutmann - Woman, wonk (President, Pennsylvania University, politically active Biden supporter)

Labor: Julian Castro - Hispanic, Rival, elected (Former Mayor, Obama's Sec of HUD)

HUD: Michelle Obama - Black, woman, wonk (Attorney and of course Obama's wife)

Health, etc: Ken Salazar - Hispanic, elected (Former Senator, Colorado, and Obama's Sec of Interior)

Transportation: Wayne Messam - Black, Rival, Mayor, elected (Mayor, Miramar Florida)

Education: Bill Richardson - Hispanic, elected (Former Gov of NM, Clinton's Sec of Energy)

Energy: Frederico Pena - Hispanic, wonk (Clinton's Sec of Energy

Veteran's Affairs: Bob McDonald - Rival, Wonk (Republican, Obama's Sec of VA - did excellent job)

Homeland Security: Dennis L Via - Black, wonk (Retired Army General)
-----------------
Women: 5, including our first female VP, plus Sec of State and Attorney General
Black: 5, including our first black Sec of Treasury, plus Attorney General and Homeland Security
Hispanic: 4, including  Health, Education, and Energy
Asian: 5, including our first Asian-American VP and I think our first Asian-American Attorney General and first Asian-American Sec of Defense?
Wonks: 9, including 3/4 of the top cabinet positions
Electeds: 7, including Attorney General
Political Rivals: 5, including VP and Attorney General, and a Republican

Straight White Men: 1, a Republican.

I really enjoyed this challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, vcczar said:

Here's your 2021 US Cabinet!!!!

President: Elizabeth Warren, MA

VP: Bob Casey, PA

State: Jon Huntsman, UT

Treasury: Stephanie Kelton, NY (Post-Keynsian Economist and professor)

Defense:  Ro Khanna, CA (Indian-American Sanders supporter, US Rep on Armed Services Committee)

Att Gen: Stacey Abrams, GA

Interior: Bill McKibben, VT (A leading Environmentalist)

Agriculture: Austin Frerick, IA (Agriculturalist and Environmentalist)

Commerce: Andrew Yang, NY

Labor: Ai-jen Poo, PA or NY (Taiwanese-American labor activist and McArthur Genius Grant Fellow) 

HUD: Chokwe Lumumba, MS (Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi)

Health, etc.:  Abdul El-Sayed, MI (Former exec director of Detroit Health Dept., professor, physician)

Transportation: Julian Castro, TX

Education: Jahana Hayes, CT (Current US Rep, gained recognition as Teacher of the Year prior to entering politics)

Energy: Ernest Moniz, MA (Served in this position for Obama; nuclear physicist)

Veteran's Affairs: Tammy Duckworth, IL

Homeland Security: Pete Buttigieg, IN

It probably won't look like this, but this would be an incredibly diverse cabinet that would make her progressive base happy to vote for her. It would also likely wed many Bernie Sanders supporters to her wing. She's also keeping on two Obama cabinet members. Left-leaning Independents would be happy to see Yang in there. The Biden wing would be happy with VP Casey, Buttigieg, the two Obama holdovers, and Abrams. Never Trump Republicans and moderates skeptical of a Warren administration would like the inclusion of Huntsman at the most important cabinet position. Duckworth would be the first physically handicapped cabinet officer. Buttigieg might be the first openly gay cabinet officer. The cabinet is regionally diverse as well. It is composed of many eminent experts.  

@Actinguy @Herbert Hoover @Reagan04 @ThePotatoWalrus @admin_270 @Patine

A lot of these (Kelton, Khanna, McKibben, Lumumba, El-Sayed etc) are people I would see serving in a Sanders administration. Unfortunately, I don't see Warren nominating those kinds of people. She already said she would fill her cabinet with people like Deval Patrick (managing Director at Bain Capital).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

President: Pete Buttigeg (You didn't mention sexuality in your demographics, but I'm claiming the points anyway.  Haha).

VP: Tulsi Gabbard - Asian, Woman, Rival, Elected (Rep, Hawaii)

State: Laureen Jobs - Woman, wonk (Business executive, widow of Steve Jobs)

Treasury: Roger Ferguson - Black, wonk (Economist, praised for expert handling of 9/11 as Federal Reserve Governor)

Defense: Michael K Nagata - Asian, Wonk (Army General)

Att Gen: Kamala Harris - Black, Asian, Woman, Rival, Elected (Senator, California)

Interior:  Shan Tsutsui - Asian, Elected (Former Lt. Gov, Hawaii)

Agriculture: Rohan Patel - Asian, wonk (Obama's Special Assistant, advised on a host of items including agriculture)

Commerce: Amy Gutmann - Woman, wonk (President, Pennsylvania University, politically active Biden supporter)

Labor: Julian Castro - Hispanic, Rival, elected (Former Mayor, Obama's Sec of HUD)

HUD: Michelle Obama - Black, woman, wonk (Attorney and of course Obama's wife)

Health, etc: Ken Salazar - Hispanic, elected (Former Senator, Colorado, and Obama's Sec of Interior)

Transportation: Wayne Messam - Black, Rival, Mayor, elected (Mayor, Miramar Florida)

Education: Bill Richardson - Hispanic, elected (Former Gov of NM, Clinton's Sec of Energy)

Energy: Frederico Pena - Hispanic, wonk (Clinton's Sec of Energy

Veteran's Affairs: Bob McDonald - Rival, Wonk (Republican, Obama's Sec of VA - did excellent job)

Homeland Security: Dennis L Via - Black, wonk (Retired Army General)
-----------------
Women: 5, including our first female VP, plus Sec of State and Attorney General
Black: 5, including our first black Sec of Treasury, plus Attorney General and Homeland Security
Hispanic: 4, including  Health, Education, and Energy
Asian: 5, including our first Asian-American VP and I think our first Asian-American Attorney General and first Asian-American Sec of Defense?
Wonks: 9, including 3/4 of the top cabinet positions
Electeds: 7, including Attorney General
Political Rivals: 5, including VP and Attorney General, and a Republican

Straight White Men: 1, a Republican.

I really enjoyed this challenge!

President Buttigieg, Vice President Gabbard, Attorney General Harris? Frankly that alone is almost as frightening as @Reagan04's cabinet, just for different reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jnewt said:

A lot of these (Kelton, Khanna, McKibben, Lumumba, El-Sayed etc) are people I would see serving in a Sanders administration. Unfortunately, I don't see Warren nominating those kinds of people. She already said she would fill her cabinet with people like Deval Patrick (managing Director at Bain Capital).

I agree, given Sanders' status as the cryptkeeper it is far more likely for him to nominate the deceased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I agree, given Sanders' status as the cryptkeeper it is far more likely for him to nominate the deceased.

Other than a play on his somewhat haggard appearance, does the 'cryptkeeper" moniker have any other roots, out of curiosity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Patine said:

President Buttigieg, Vice President Gabbard, Attorney General Harris? Frankly that alone is almost as frightening as @Reagan04's cabinet, just for different reasons.

Oh no.  I made this just for you.  I’m sad that you don’t like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I agree, given Sanders' status as the cryptkeeper it is far more likely for him to nominate the deceased.

Mayor Lumumba is alive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chokwe_Antar_Lumumba . I don't know what you're talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Oh no.  I made this just for you.  I’m sad that you don’t like it!

I didn't make the accusation that it was a personal attack, or even imply such. No need for sarcasm. But, I am not required to give a positive review, or hold a "respectful silence," either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Mayor Lumumba is alive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chokwe_Antar_Lumumba . I don't know what you're talking about. 

I think he was referring to Patrice Lumumba, though he's been dead for a half-century. It would have made more sense if he was talking about somebody who died recently, not somebody who died before Sanders even held elected office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I didn't make the accusation that it was a personal attack, or even imply such. No need for sarcasm. But, I am not required to give a positive review, or hold a "respectful silence," either.

Try actually putting together a cabinet, following VCC's guide in the original post.  Contribute something.

I found it to be challenging, but also a lot of fun.

More fun than criticizing other's choices, even!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Actinguy said:

Try actually putting together a cabinet, following VCC's guide in the original post.  Contribute something.

I found it to be challenging, but also a lot of fun.

More fun than criticizing other's choices, even!

It would be require some research to fill certain roles. Plus, I didn't check, but does @vcczar allow abolishing departments like Paul and Perry were talking about in the 2012 Primary Debate (where the "three-fingered cowboy" comes from - although I certainly wouldn't be up for abolishing the same departments as them, the overreach, intrusion, and "secret police" qualities of Homeland Defense would be something I'd eye)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

President: Joe Biden

VP: Stephanie Murphy

State: Alan Mulally

Treasury: Glenn Hubbard (R)

Defense: James Mattis (I)

Att Gen: Kamala Harris

Interior: Heidi Heitkamp

Agriculture: Butch Otter (R)

Commerce: Carlos Gutierrez (R)

Labor: Hilda Solis

HUD: Wayne Messam

Health, etc.: Ami Bera

Transportation: Harold Ford Jr.

Education: Michelle Rhee

Energy: Steven Chu

Veteran's Affairs: James G. Stavridis

Homeland Security: Kyrsten Sinema

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Actinguy said:

Well...yeah.  Everyone who is posting here is doing some research first.

Youll find that making the effort to contribute is indeed harder than just criticizing.

Just because I haven't done so YET doesn't mean I am not allowed to comment. I have no idea who taught you, or from whence you derived this seemingly contrived "order of precedent around contribution and commentary," - it strikes me as almost some old tribal system somewhere, but, in truth, I believe it's a pure contrivance to conceit to try to silence commentary I say that you don't like in a way you believe will come across to me and others as a mature leader and moderator, but in truth very must seems to me as just an attempted arrogant power trip out of intolerance of opinions and viewpoints you don't like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

Try actually putting together a cabinet, following VCC's guide in the original post.  Contribute something.

I found it to be challenging, but also a lot of fun.

More fun than criticizing other's choices, even!

As much as I like @Patine and side with most of his political views, he commits one of the more annoying/aggravating habits I see among people in message boards. That is, he rarely takes part in the polls/exercises/games and is content to just criticize the results of these. While his criticisms are valid, and are often agreeable, this is a major forum social faux pas, in my opinion. It's one thing to be critical of an exercise, poll, and the results therefor if you partake in it. I'd assume Patine would also want to provide better alternatives to Harris, Buttigieg, and Gabbard. I'm also sincerely interested in his responses, alternatives, suggestions. While I disagree with a lot of your opinions on things (like some of these cabinet members), I appreciate your willingness to response to question, exercises, and polls that I put together. There are times when Patine gives his reasons for not answer polls. That's fine. For instance, when he states he needs to research further; however, that might also mean he needs to research some of his opinions a little further. For instance, I think his view on Buttigieg might be overlook some of the good traits about Buttigieg. He pants him like a neocon or a lightweight Heinrich Himmler. I'm not sure what he's done or what he says he will do that would make him either of these in comparison to about any other non-Progressive Democrat that could hold this position. Buttigieg is younger than all three of us too; he hasn't had much time to really build an argument for or against him, which might be one of the more appealing things about him. I share some of the same concerns of Buttigieg as Patine, but I find he lumps Buttigieg with Harris, which I don't think is accurate or even fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...