270soft Forum
admin_270

50 Senate Republicans condemn House impeachment inquiry

It seems that, if the House votes to impeach, the Democrats probably won't crack 50 votes in the Senate.

This is because Graham now has 50 co-sponsors for a resolution that claims the House is denying Trump 'fairness and due process'. It seems difficult to believe someone who thinks due process has been denied in an impeachment inquiry will then turn around and vote to remove the President from office on charges by the House stemming from that inquiry.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/politics/lindsey-graham-impeachment-inquiry-resolution-republican-senators/index.html

The 3 that haven't co-sponsored are Romney, Collins, and Murkowski.

To me, the big question at this point (outside of whether the House will vote to impeach) is the exact number Dems will get in the Senate. I now would not be surprised if they get less than 50.

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

To me, the big question at this point (outside of whether the House will vote to impeach) is the exact number Dems will get in the Senate. I now would not be surprised if they get less than 50.

I think it's a political stunt and will have no impact. All it takes is one strong piece of evidence for people to start unsigning their names. I think Romney, Collins, and Murkowski are likely to come out as the smart Senators in 2020 (I say this with the idea that something will be found about Trump that will be damning, enough so that defending Trump will look terrible). Nixon's impeachment operated similarly. Nixon had the defense of about every Republican Senator and Congress person--strongly so--it wasn't until the end that many of them abruptly broke with Nixon as new evidence came in. If Trump is impeached and looks like he will face conviction, it will probably happen suddenly. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

All it takes is one strong piece of evidence for people to start unsigning their names.

Yes, so I suppose my question is what would the one strong piece of evidence be? We shall see. Since we already have the transcript of the phone call, which all the Senators have seen, presumably it's not going to be that.

41 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Yes, so I suppose my question is what would the one strong piece of evidence be? We shall see. Since we already have the transcript of the phone call, which all the Senators have seen, presumably it's not going to be that.

Yeah, it's not going to be that. I'm predicting something will emerge in the course of the inquiry and proceedings that hasn't come out yet, possibly via testimony, subpoena, or something else that's entirely new. It seems like there's a new scandal in this administration fairly regularly. I think it's possible that people wishing to look better in history might start being vocal about things they were initially quiet about. This said, I wouldn't be surprised if all of this boils down to nothing, in which case, Democrats kind of shoot themselves in the foot among potential supporters that don't quite vehemently hate Trump. 

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

It seems that, if the House votes to impeach, the Democrats probably won't crack 50 votes in the Senate.

This is because Graham now has 50 co-sponsors for a resolution that claims the House is denying Trump 'fairness and due process'. It seems difficult to believe someone who thinks due process has been denied in an impeachment inquiry will then turn around and vote to remove the President from office on charges by the House stemming from that inquiry.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/politics/lindsey-graham-impeachment-inquiry-resolution-republican-senators/index.html

The 3 that haven't co-sponsored are Romney, Collins, and Murkowski.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think it's a political stunt and will have no impact. All it takes is one strong piece of evidence for people to start unsigning their names. I think Romney, Collins, and Murkowski are likely to come out as the smart Senators in 2020 (I say this with the idea that something will be found about Trump that will be damning, enough so that defending Trump will look terrible). Nixon's impeachment operated similarly. Nixon had the defense of about every Republican Senator and Congress person--strongly so--it wasn't until the end that many of them abruptly broke with Nixon as new evidence came in. If Trump is impeached and looks like he will face conviction, it will probably happen suddenly. 

Why does this corrupt, nepotistic, non-due-process "impeachment" special system for the crimes of high Federal officials to be the sole method their crimes can be prosecuted and tried as a completely different than a common citizen, and lacking any concept of justice, AND the motto "And Justice for All" is still on the Supreme Court building? The two are mutually exclusive by nature. I know this issue (which I've brought up quite a few times before) likes to be conveniently ignored and brushed under the carpet rather than addressed or acknowledged as an issue, but please someone explain. Why should the leadership of a REPUBLIC (and not a Monarchy, Theocracy, Feudal State, or Fascist "Leader Principle" nation) be so far above the laws and enforcement of the laws of their nations to need a special (non)judicial system where their fate is put in the hands of political nepotism and intrigue, and NOT due process at all?

I suspect that Trump is correct.  He can indeed shoot someone and never be held accountable.

However — we have seen time and time again what being Trump’s patsy gets you:  a one way ticket to prison.

I suspect Trump will indeed hold on to about 50 senate votes and survive impeachment.

And I suspect those 50 or so Republican senators will suffer as a result.