270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Herbert Hoover

Tulsi Gabbard won't run for reelection

I was surprised to hear the news, but not overly surprised. She's faced a lot of flak back home and has already had a viable challenge announced for her house seat some time ago.

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

If she attracts them, where are they in the polls?

Most libertarians and moderate Republicans don’t vote in Democratic primary polls

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

ac0e608-1.thumb.jpg.6b57d557716033bd5e91caad25d4df6e.jpg

But doesn't attract Democratic voters, apparently. Maybe she should run for the Libertarian nomination then.

9 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Most libertarians and moderate Republicans don’t vote in Democratic primary polls

Wasn't this the same argument per se back in 2016? The argument from the Clinton campaign was, "We should appeal to the suburbanites in the sun belt" and spent more resources in the Georgia, and in Texas.Im not saying its a bad strategy(since it worked in 2018 midterms).

21 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Why not?  If you're planning to support a specific Democrat.

While I've never been polled, my wife has been polled 3 or 4 times.  And one of the questions is "Do you plan to vote in the Republican or Democrat primary?"  If you say Republican, there's a set of questions.  If you say Democrat, there's a different set of questions -- and that's where you would say Tulsi.  If you say "Neither", that may end the call - depending on whether they have non-primary questions to ask you.

I actually did get called once for a poll.  One of the pre-qualifying questions was "Do you run a blog about politics?"  I said "Does my facebook account count as a blog?"  Their response: "It's how you feel -- so if you feel your facebook account counts as a blog, then yes."  "Okay, then...yes."  "Thank you, that concludes today's poll."

They didn't actually ask me anything about politics -- apparently I disqualified myself by saying my facebook account was kind of like blogging.

If she attracts them, where are they in the polls?

Yeah, she basically has no support. This cartoon makes it seem like more than 3% even prefer her over the other Democrats. Tulsi supporters are almost non-existent but they're very loud. This isn't to say she hasn't some good ideas, but she's not desired/preferred by at least 97% of those polling Democrats that have an opinion on race. Perhaps she has more support among Libertarians? In which case, she should probably join that party. I don't think moderate Republican voters would like her any more than Clinton or Biden; in fact, she's probably viewed worse, since moderate Republicans are often at odds with her foreign policy views. The lumping together of independents is really misleading. Independents aren't necessarily mostly in the middle of Dems and Reps. They are a very varied spectrum. In all, despite some good ideas, she's a weak, undesired candidate for president. I like her as a US Rep and could feasibly support her on a Senate run. In the last frame, we are given the reasons for the DNC's dislike of her. I think most of these are not the reasons why Democratic voters dislike her, although some of them might be. I do like her relatively pacifistic approach in foreign policy, being a pacifist myself, but I don't trust her one bit. Her Twitter, her ads, her interviews are heavily focuses on herself---much more so than other candidates, but less so than Trump. She's probably the closes to Trump in apparent narcissism, but I'd stop short of saying she is that. I'll just say self-absorbed. I also think she is a lot more opportunist (in the negative sense) than the others; however, they may be better at hiding it, in which case she likes foresight before doing things like pretending to be serious about considering boycotting a debate.  I watch all the candidates on Twitter and find her feed to often be the least hopeful since at times it's composed of her workout videos and other efforts at showing off or talking about herself, rather than focusing more on the people. I understand candidates have to talk about what they've done to ensure credibility for what they'll do, but she is too self-focused.

She was probably a top 5 candidate for me  when she jumped in. After reading her old public views on LGBT, I pretty much tossed her out. I decided to give her another chance, assuming she was legitimately disassociated from those views. Yet, after the debates, TV ads, and Twitter, I slowly was reinforced on my decision to just brush her away from consideration. I do think if she were more people and voter focused (like Sanders, for instance) and focused more on domestic policy, and how the Democratic party can work together to defeat Republicans in 2020, then she'd be a much more attractive option.

Theoretically, you'd think she'd take voters from Sanders and Warren, but Gabbard isn't enticing to even the Progressives in the Democratic party.  I don't think Libertarians would take her. Would the Green Party?

The issue here is: Why run to represent the Democrats, if your campaign appeals primarily to independents and moderate Republicans?

Democrats want a Democrat. Or should Republicans nominate Johnson or Weld because they'd attract independents and moderate Democrats? 

Yeah, my step-mother views herself as "Independent" but what she really means is that the Republican party isn't as blatantly racist as she wants them to be, and they need to step up their racist game.

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

Why not?  If you're planning to support a specific Democrat.

While I've never been polled, my wife has been polled 3 or 4 times.  And one of the questions is "Do you plan to vote in the Republican or Democrat primary?"  If you say Republican, there's a set of questions.  If you say Democrat, there's a different set of questions -- and that's where you would say Tulsi.  If you say "Neither", that may end the call - depending on whether they have non-primary questions to ask you.

I actually did get called once for a poll.  One of the pre-qualifying questions was "Do you run a blog about politics?"  I said "Does my facebook account count as a blog?"  Their response: "It's how you feel -- so if you feel your facebook account counts as a blog, then yes."  "Okay, then...yes."  "Thank you, that concludes today's poll."

They didn't actually ask me anything about politics -- apparently I disqualified myself by saying my facebook account was kind of like blogging.

I've never been politically polled. I don't think I know anyone that's been polled either, or at least not one that's told me.

I have worked for a polling place for a day when I was an undergraduate. Worst job I ever had. I tied for having successfully concluded the most polls for that day with 4. I was hung up on a hundred times (yelled at several times for calling them, etc.), as was everyone else at work, since that's what happens. I went to the restroom every 20 minutes to look into the mirror to see if I was still a human being. Then I'd go back to my seat and repeat this every 20 minutes. When my day was done, I was told by my supervisor that I'd conclude more polls if I had a softer voice (I have a very deep voice). To me, that was both insulting and something I couldn't realistically do. I don't remember if I even responded to the Supervisor, but I do remember considering getting right into his face and telling him that I completed the most polls for that day (actually tied) on my first day at the job. I was supposed to go to some house party after work. I went to the party, and uncharacteristic of me, I was getting really angry at people at the party very easily. I almost never get visually upset, especially then. I left the house early, and that same night, I called and left a message at the polling place and said something like, "After one day of work, this job has left me irreversibly insane. Therefore, I'm going to have to leave the job. Thank you." Then I hung up. It was a great relief. After that day, I've been very patient with phone surveys if it's a person on the phone. I know they're getting hung up on constantly and yelled at. I've only had non-political phone surveys and polls to respond to. 

The 2nd worst job I had was a blogger and content writer for lawyers all across the country, but that's for another story. 

25 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Yeah, my step-mother views herself as "Independent" but what she really means is that the Republican party isn't as blatantly racist as she wants them to be, and they need to step up their racist game.

I think they've found the optimal level to maximize their vote totals.

2 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

I love this. 

Me either, but my candidate still does well.  

Is he really?  He's been falling in the polls nationally, the only reason he's doing well in Iowa is because he's pouring millions into advertisements. Sure he's still consistently in 4th or 5th place, but at this point I think it's over for anybody who isn't Biden Warren or Sanders. (unless something major happens)