Sign in to follow this  
SilentLiberty

Poll: 2020 Democrats vs Mitt Romney

2020 Democrats vs Mitt Romney Part 2  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Bernie Sanders vs Mitt Romney

2. 2. Andrew Yang vs Mitt Romney

3. 3. Joe Biden vs Mitt Romney

Let's assume Romney is somehow the Republican Nominee in 2020. Part 2.

Has he come to at least accept gay marriage as reality yet?  

His strong opposition to it in 2012 meant that he was dead to me, and I can’t find anything to suggest he’s softened on it since.  

With that in mind, every Dem beats him in my book.  Were he to adopt an accepting stance on gay marriage though, I could at least seriously consider supporting him over certain Dems.

4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Has he come to at least accept gay marriage as reality yet?  

His strong opposition to it in 2012 meant that he was dead to me, and I can’t find anything to suggest he’s softened on it since.  

With that in mind, every Dem beats him in my book.  Were he to adopt an accepting stance on gay marriage though, I could at least seriously consider supporting him over certain Dems.

Why is this the single-issue for you? He's obviously not going to try to abolish it I really find it hard to understand being a single-issue voter on Gay Marriage in 2019.

12 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Why is this the single-issue for you? He's obviously not going to try to abolish it I really find it hard to understand being a single-issue voter on Gay Marriage in 2019.

Actually, Romney did support a Constitutional Amendment to establish marriage as being between a man and a woman, and vowed to continue fighting against gay marriage "in every way I know how."

To my knowledge, he has not changed his stance on that.

If he has, great!

But if he hasn't, we don't have room for more bigotry in 2019.  It's not like we're short on people trying to become President -- we don't have to turn a blind eye to these things.

6 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Actually, Romney did support a Constitutional Amendment to establish marriage as being between a man and a woman, and vowed to continue fighting against gay marriage "in every way I know how."

To my knowledge, he has not changed his stance on that.

If he has, great!

But if he hasn't, we don't have room for more bigotry in 2019.  It's not like we're short on people trying to become President -- we don't have to turn a blind eye to these things.

I very much wonder if he has, I just don't think it's relevant anymore so he hasn't been asked to answer that question.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

I very much wonder if he has, I just don't think it's relevant anymore so he hasn't been asked to answer that question.

I'm sure that, if he were to run for President in 2020 or any other time, he would be asked.  My decision would be based on his response -- and, of course, who he was running against.

I don't necessarily blame him for being wrong in the past.  I used to be wrong about this issue too!  I came around much sooner than 2012 when Romney was still fighting it tooth and nail, but I righted my wrongs and I would respect anyone else who could do so as well.

But I'd need to see him actually do it, before I just assume that he's done so.

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Well, he's such a flip-flopper and lacks any true conviction or consistency in his message, and is so aristocratic and out-of-touch, I'm not sure anything he has said is relevant, or anything he would or could say can be trusted. That's one of my biggest beefs with him.

The real question is who would hold their nose and vote for Romney over Hillary Clinton in a hypothetical matchup. 

4 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

The real question is who would hold their nose and vote for Romney over Hillary Clinton in a hypothetical matchup. 

A good question indeed. One of my favorite aspects of the forum here is the polls. So if that match up doesn't pop up by someone else sooner than later, I'll post it myself. 

10 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

A good question indeed. One of my favorite aspects of the forum here is the polls. So if that match up doesn't pop up by someone else sooner than later, I'll post it myself. 

I can do it myself later and I definitely agree on the polls (especially when there are questions which may not be answered along party lines solely).

On 10/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, Actinguy said:

I'm sure that, if he were to run for President in 2020 or any other time, he would be asked.  My decision would be based on his response -- and, of course, who he was running against.

I don't necessarily blame him for being wrong in the past.  I used to be wrong about this issue too!  I came around much sooner than 2012 when Romney was still fighting it tooth and nail, but I righted my wrongs and I would respect anyone else who could do so as well.

But I'd need to see him actually do it, before I just assume that he's done so.

What about Gabbard

52 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

What about her?

I sincerely believe her next job will be Fox News host.

You know exactly what he was asking. Do you have the same opinion on Tutsi's past views on LGBT issues as you do for Romney? Also the Fox News host jab is unnecessary.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

You know exactly what he was asking. Do you have the same opinion on Tutsi's past views on LGBT issues as you do for Romney? Also the Fox News host jab is unnecessary.

Of course, Romney gets a by for being a flip-flopper (or "change of conscious," apparently) because he supported Bush, but then defiantly opposed Trump. Someone great for Actinguy's narrative. Tulsi, however, he views as an easier target of criticism, and must be "less sincere," when publicly changing opinions, because she's struggling for a nomination against Mayor "Put'em in Bootcamp" (for more endless military interventionism).

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Of course, Romney gets a by for being a flip-flopper (or "change of conscious," apparently) because he supported Bush, but then defiantly opposed Trump. Someone great for Actinguy's narrative. Tulsi, however, he views as an easier target of criticism, and must be "less sincere," when publicly changing opinions, because she's struggling for a nomination against Mayor "Put'em in Bootcamp" (for more endless military interventionism).

Retweet.

4 hours ago, Dr. Insano said:

Oh, ok.  I do have the same point of view, in that anyone who came out strongly against LGBT equality before needs to denounce those views now.  I believe Tulsi has indeed denounced it, although I admittedly haven’t paid much attention to that as I’d already ruled her out before I even knew of her anti-LGBT past.

The Fox News bit isn’t a jab — or, perhaps it is, but based in truth.  I sincerely believe that her next gig really will be with Fox News.  That is my real prediction.

23 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Retweet.

I only saw Patine’s message because you shared it in your post, but look at my message again.  I am specifically NOT giving Romney a pass, because he has not denounced his prior strong opposition to LGBT equality.

I fully allow for people to realize they were wrong about this, because I used to be wrong about it too.  As you learn more, you can and should adapt your point of view.  But Romney’s shown no indication that he has done so on this vital topic, and thus I rule him out.