270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jnewt

Sanders Receives Endorsements from 3/4 of the Squad

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-omar-tlaib-reportedly-will-endorse-bernie-sanders

Sanders recently received endorsements from the Squad, less Ayanna Pressley (which isn't all that surprising since she's by far the least progressive of the four, replaced a Congressman who was far more progressive than her, and is from the same state as Warren). However, is too late to make any difference? I don't think Sanders will win the nomination at this point, but if these endorsements were made before Warren's ascension, I may feel otherwise.

2 minutes ago, jnewt said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-omar-tlaib-reportedly-will-endorse-bernie-sanders

Sanders recently received endorsements from the Squad, less Ayanna Pressley (which isn't all that surprising since she's by far the least progressive of the four, replaced a Congressman who was far more progressive than her, and is from the same state as Warren). However, is too late to make any difference? I don't think Sanders will win the nomination at this point, but if these endorsements were made before Warren's ascension, I may feel otherwise.

I don’t know if this will make much of a difference as their strongest supporters are probably already with Sanders. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I don’t know if this will make much of a difference as their strongest supporters are probably already with Sanders. 

I agree. I think this was just a formality.

40 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think some of their supporters (who are now supporting Warren) could have been swayed by this endorsement if it was made months ago, but yea, at this point I don't think it really makes a difference.

1 hour ago, jnewt said:

I don’t think this moves the needle at all.

I mean, don’t get me wrong — Bernie would rather have the endorsements than not have the endorsements.

But anyone who supports AOC so strongly that their choice for President is  significantly impacted by her endorsement  was probably already a Bernie Bro.

1 hour ago, jnewt said:

replaced a Congressman who was far more progressive than her,

Tell me about this, I am intrigued.

17 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Tell me about this, I am intrigued.

Mike Capuano. He probably wasn't FAR more progressive than Pressley has been in Congress, but he was much more progressive than Pressley before she was in Congress. He was one of the most progressive members of Congress when he was ousted. Pressley's tenure in the Boston City Council was not overly progressive, and she was viewed as part of the establishment in Boston politics. 

32 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Mike Capuano. He probably wasn't FAR more progressive than Pressley has been in Congress, but he was much more progressive than Pressley before she was in Congress. He was one of the most progressive members of Congress when he was ousted. Pressley's tenure in the Boston City Council was not overly progressive, and she was viewed as part of the establishment in Boston politics. 

Very interesting, certainly not how the media portrayed it. Though I wonder if that was simply a byproduct of how the mainstream media uses identity politics to push a narrative. 

5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

How many of you have honestly been swayed by the endorsement of someone who wasn't a primary candidate?

Ted Kennedy’s endorsement of Obama over Clinton in 2008 was considered crucial. Probably more crucial was William Jennings Bryan’s 1912 endorsement of Woodrow Wilson over frontrunner Champ Clark. 

5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

How many of you have honestly been swayed by the endorsement of someone who wasn't a primary candidate?

David Duke endorsing Trump and Henry Kissinger endorsing Clinton in 2016 might have had more impact if those two highly toxic endorsements had not occurred within roughly the same week...

3 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I don’t think this moves the needle at all.

I mean, don’t get me wrong — Bernie would rather have the endorsements than not have the endorsements.

But anyone who supports AOC so strongly that their choice for President is  significantly impacted by her endorsement  was probably already a Bernie Bro.

Really parroting the Bernie bro myth again even though time and again it's been disproven? You know what isn't a myth is Mayor Pete's horrible record in general. 

Just now, Dr. Insano said:

Really parroting the Bernie bro myth again even though time and again it's been disproven? You know what isn't a myth is Mayor Pete's horrible record in general. 

I don't understand what you're even disagreeing with, much less disproving.  Am I wrong that AOC fans are generally also Bernie fans?

Just now, Actinguy said:

I don't understand what you're even disagreeing with, much less disproving.  Am I wrong that AOC fans are generally also Bernie fans?

It's not that fact it's the arrogant way  you casually decided to throw in the Bernie bro line. I would agree that at least 75% of AOC fans were probably already supporting Bernie, what I have a problem with is you parroting the same smear that Bernie Sanders following is only from white males, when he has a diverse fanbase. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

It's not that fact it's the arrogant way  you casually decided to throw in the Bernie bro line. I would agree that at least 75% of AOC fans were probably already supporting Bernie, what I have a problem with is you parroting the same smear that Bernie Sanders following is only from white males, when he has a diverse fanbase. 

Ok.  You're jumping on off a cliff on that one -- you're pretending I'm saying things that I'm not.  

That's not a conversation that interests me.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

He also seems to think that AoC is just a younger, female, Latina clone of Sanders. AoC is more like Duerte in the Philippines - a left-wing, vapid, unrealistic, vitriolic populist (as opposed to the more commonly seen right-wing ones, like Trump, Bolisario, Erdogan, Modi, that frightening party leader, who was in Netanyahu's Coalition, and some of those Eurosceptic/Nationalistic party leaders in various European countries). Bernie Sanders is nothing like that in presentation. Plus, I fear, Buttigieg will be a big supporter of military interventions, like Clinton no doubt would have been - which is likely what Actinguy finds so appealing and why he is promoting his popularity beyond what's actually there.

11 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Ok.  You're jumping on off a cliff on that one -- you're pretending I'm saying things that I'm not.  

That's not a conversation that interests me.

And there you go again. Arrogant,

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

He also seems to think that AoC is just a younger, female, Latina clone of Sanders. AoC is more like Duerte in the Philippines - a left-wing, vapid, unrealistic, vitriolic populist (as opposed to the more commonly seen right-wing ones, like Trump, Bolisario, Erdogan, Modi, that frightening party leader, who was in Netanyahu's Coalition, and some of those Eurosceptic/Nationalistic party leaders in various European countries). Bernie Sanders is nothing like that in presentation. Plus, I fear, Buttigieg will be a big supporter of military interventions, like Clinton no doubt would have been - which is likely what Actinguy finds so appealing and why he is promoting his popularity beyond what's actually there.

I'm not really interested in somebody who has the moral ideas that George W Bush was great, wow he led us into an illegal War and dismantled our economy, but that Donald Trump is the worst thing ever when really he's very similar to George W Bush he's just not able to hide his horribleness. It's Trump derangement syndrome, and I agree Pete Buttigieg is a horrible candidate. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Insano said:

And there you go again. Arrogant,

I'm not really interested in somebody who has the moral ideas that George W Bush was great wow he let us into an illegal War and dismantled our economy, but that Donald Trump is the worst thing ever when really he's very similar to George W Bush he's just not able to hide his horribleness. It's Trump derangement syndrome, and I agree Pete Buttigieg is a horrible candidate. 

You take Bernie Bro to be derogatory.  That's not how I meant it.

But here come the personal attacks against me.  Predictable.

I’m going to play Cory Booker and ask that left-leaning, anti-Trumpers stop eviscerating each other.  I think George W. Bush is a failed president and potential war criminal, but I’m not going to launch into a personal attack for someone that thinks otherwise. Maybe I’m able to do this better than others because my best friend is, lamentably, a Trump supporter. While this has caused some distance and occasionally heated arguments, I’ve never once attacked his person. I think attacking candidates and former candidates and office holders is fine, but please reserve personal attacks on forum members for when they are racist, bigoted, or something along those lines. Passionate criticism is obviously okay, especially if constructive. Anthony is prone to shut down these threads when they turn into attacks. 

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I’m going to play Cory Booker and ask that left-leaning, anti-Trumpers stop eviscerating each other.  I think George W. Bush is a failed president and potential war criminal, but I’m not going to launch into a personal attack for someone that thinks otherwise. Maybe I’m able to do this better than others because my best friend is, lamentably, a Trump supporter. While this has caused some distance and occasionally heated arguments, I’ve never once attacked his person. I think attacking candidates and former candidates and office holders is fine, but please reserve personal attacks on forum members for when they are racist, bigoted, or something along those lines. Passionate criticism is obviously okay, especially if constructive. Anthony is prone to shut down these threads when they turn into attacks. 

I find it really unfortunate that Anthony never makes posts like this. Nonetheless, I will drop the issue and try to rise to a more mature standpoint.

19 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I agree entirely, and remain baffled by the hostility I occasionally encounter here from folks who seemingly have the same goal I do: defeating Donald Trump.

For the record, while I backed Hilary in 2016, my own wife was a “Bernie Bro.”  I actually assumed that’s what Bernie supporters called themselves.  I have now learned that it does have derogatory origins, fine.  But the personal attacks, especially over a misunderstanding, are uncalled for.

Its this exact, toxic response that has given Bernie supporters a negative reputation online.  

My wife is a nurse, and therefore naturally has a deeper interest in healthcare policy than I do.  She gravitated to Bernie, fine.  I am a Veteran and naturally have a deeper interest in foreign policy than she does.  I gravitated to Clinton, fine.  We never fought over this, because we were on the same side:  the “Donald Trump can not be President” side.

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

My wife is a nurse, and therefore naturally has a deeper interest in healthcare policy than I do.  She gravitated to Bernie, fine.  I am a Veteran and naturally have a deeper interest in foreign policy than she does.  I gravitated to Clinton, fine.  We never fought over this, because we were on the same side:  the “Donald Trump can not be President” side.

Watch Hillary run again just so that I can get it right this time.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Watch Hillary run again just so that I can get it right this time.

Ha -- way too late for anyone to seriously jump in at this point.  Besides, her twitter account suggests to me she's having fun just having fun for once, without a greater agenda.  (She's been trolling Trump for the past couple weeks, and it is hilarious.)

I think these endorsements will help Bernie regain momentum i  this race.There was a poll that said 25% of Democrats could be influenced by AOC endorsement(only person with more powerful endorsement was Obama).

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I agree entirely, and remain baffled by the hostility I occasionally encounter here from folks who seemingly have the same goal I do: defeating Donald Trump.

For the record, while I backed Hilary in 2016, my own wife was a “Bernie Bro.”  I actually assumed that’s what Bernie supporters called themselves.  I have now learned that it does have derogatory origins, fine.  But the personal attacks, especially over a misunderstanding, are uncalled for.

Its this exact, toxic response that has given Bernie supporters a negative reputation online.  

Unfortunately, "Anti-Trump" is not really a cohesive or unifying socio-political ideology in and of itself, and it's not like toxicity has been unique to those who disagree with you - whom you tend to treat with condescension, contempt, and derision, and show an arrogant, self-righteous attitude toward, whether you actually see and acknowledge it or not. You are not an innocent victim in this mudslinging. That said, I'm willing to move on.