270soft Forum
vcczar

Your go to news sources

Your go to news sources  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these "unbiased" news sources do you read?

• CNET
    • Cook Political Report
    • Financial Times
    • Foreign Affairs
    • The Economist
    • The Hill
    • Morning Consult
    • National Journal
    • Politico
    • Politifact
    • Reuters
    • Wall Street Journal
    • Associated Press
    • Bloomberg News
    • Axios
    • National Review
    • The Atlantic
    • USA Today
    • Other (list below)
    • I don't read any "unbiased" news sources
  2. 2. Which of these sources with a liberal bias do you read?

• MSNBC
    • Huffington Post (Huffpost)
    • Mother Jones
    • CNN
    • VOX
    • New York Times
    • NBC News
    • Daily Beast
    • Daily Kos
    • New Republic
    • New Yorker
    • Slate
    • The Nation
    • Young Turks
    • Washington Post
    • ABC News
    • CBS News
    • Other (list below)
    • I don't read any liberal bias news sources
  3. 3. Which of these sources with a conservative bias do you read?

• Fox News
    • Breitbart
    • InfoWars
    • American Spectator
    • Heritage Foundation
    • The Federalist
    • The Washington Examiner
    • The Christian Post
    • Other (list below)
    • I don't read any news sources with a conservative bias

1 minute ago, Patine said:

You're of course assuming EVERYONE values currency over their own ethics, values, principals, dignity, and propriety. Though it might be hard to believe, especially with the bad, repugnant stereotypes within the mostly drivel-dominated modern American media (and SOMEHOW, @ThePotatoWalrus called this schlock the "very height of culture in American history" a few months ago), there are people that do NOT have a monetary price for a lot of things.

Not everyone, just a good number of people. How many people need to be asked before someone does it is more the question here. I believe people have morals that are higher than just 'how can I get money', I also believe that there are people who would compromise those morals when money is in front of them. Money is the root of all evil, or so they say. 

Just now, SilentLiberty said:

Not everyone, just a good number of people. How many people need to be asked before someone does it is more the question here. I believe people have morals that are higher than just 'how can I get money', I also believe that there are people who would compromise those morals when money is in front of them. Money is the root of all evil, or so they say. 

I love money

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I love money

Which is actually how the bible quote goes, that love of money is the root of all evil...I'm sure @Patine has a thought here.

Just now, SilentLiberty said:

Of course, given modern currency, since the 50's and 60's, is inherently worthless, in terms of intrinsic value, and it's all based on "what the market will bear" and confidences of speculations of bankers, investors, economists, and others, who often behave like scared rabbits - and that's when the cache of Capitalism as the "greatest economic ever made" dropped a few notches, and it dropped even further when corporate power on a political level rose blatantly - the Plutocracy replaced the People as the true empowering element of many First World Nations - and Labour, Protections and Standards in Business, and Anti-Trust laws began to be scaled back and whole wars were declared, often on false pretenses when the Corporate Masters let our their roars for more huge profit margins, it has become obvious the Capitalism has failed utterly as a viable and functional economic system. The again, so has Communism. The world needs a grand new economic system entirely, with new visions for actually bettering things for everyone, and redefining the way resources, goods, services, and labour (taking automation into account) to do that beyond the smoldering ruins of the complete failures of Capitalism AND Communism.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Of course, given modern currency, since the 50's and 60's, is inherently worthless, in terms of intrinsic value, and it's all based on "what the market will bear" and confidences of speculations of bankers, investors, economists, and others, who often behave like scared rabbits - and that's when the cache of Capitalism as the "greatest economic ever made" dropped a few notches, and it dropped even further when corporate power on a political level rose blatantly - the Plutocracy replaced the People as the true empowering element of many First World Nations - and Labour, Protections and Standards in Business, and Anti-Trust laws began to be scaled back and whole wars were declared, often on false pretenses when the Corporate Masters let our their roars for more huge profit margins, it has become obvious the Capitalism has failed utterly as a viable and functional economic system. The again, so has Communism. The world needs a grand new economic system entirely, with new visions for actually bettering things for everyone, and redefining the way resources, goods, services, and labour (taking automation into account) to do that beyond the smoldering ruins of the complete failures of Capitalism AND Communism.

Please paypal me all of your worthless money then please

6 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Please paypal me all of your worthless money then please

That would not be pragmatic until (and if) a new economic system is instituted. That's fairly logical. Even I'm not highly mercenary, survival and a modicum of comfort requires the "toilet paper of world commerce" at this point. Besides, if, for some reason, I were to, say, have a principled liquidation of all worldly wealth (like monks or nuns often do before going into cloister), which I do not foresee, but for the sake of argument, you would not be on the list of recipients, I'm afraid.

I tend to use both Google News and RealClearPolitics for aggregating news.  I read a lot of FiveThirtyEight for polling.  In the end, I try to read as much as I can from as many sources as I can, whether left or right, domestic or foreign, as long as I think they're practicing somewhat decent journalism.  For this reason, I generally avoid sources like FOX News (except for polling), Breitbart, and on the left, the Young Turks and The Intercept.  I do like a lot of foreign news, as US media does a pitiful job reporting on what's going on in the rest of the world.  My main staple, if I had to pick one, would probably be The Guardian.  But I try my best never to stick to only one outlet for my information, and I almost never watch news programs, except maybe Rachel Maddow or Lawrence O'Donnell once in a blue moon.

I do have this thing where I treat election nights like they're a football game, and try to pull up several news stations on various screens showing election results.  I will also have Politico, NYT and the local SoS's website (at the bare minimum) up on a device to watch vote totals come in.  Sometimes I will be socializing with others, with refreshments, a holdover from my more politically active days.