270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Insano

Presidential All Star Race 2000-2020

All Star Poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. If you are a Republican/Conservative who would be your preferred nominee?

• George W. Bush
    • John McCain
    • Mitt Romney
    • Rick Santorum
    • Rudy Giuliani
    • Rick Perry
    • Ted Cruz
    • Ron Paul
    • Donald Trump
    • Bill Weld
    • Mark Sanford
    • Marco Rubio
    • I'm a Democrat/Liberal
  2. 2. If you are a Democrat/Liberal who is your preferred nominee?

• Al Gore
    • John Kerry
    • John Edwards
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Barack Obama
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Dennis Kucinich
    • Joe Biden
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Bill Bradley
    • Pete Buttigieg
    • I'm a Republican/Conservative

Poll

It's amazing, out of all of these names, no one jumps out to me, like I actually don't want to pick anyone. So I guess I'll go with Ron Paul. 

This was actually harder than I thought it would be. I was stuck between Kucinich, Sanders, Warren, and Obama. The latter was considered because I know he'd beat any of the GOP nominees above. However, I assumed this is more about ideology and idealism than practicality, so then I had to consider the first three names. All have strengths and all have drawbacks. I eliminated Warren because I am much more in line with Kucinich and Sanders. However, they both have draw backs. I don't like puritans, and I think it is essential for a nominee to have the ability to compromise, and the understanding that compromise will have to occur most of the time. That hurts both candidates. I decided to pick Kucinich because he's probably the candidate in my lifetime that really moved me to progressive, rather than liberal or moderate politics. His 2004 primary campaign really made the most sense to me, and I had been veering to the left independently on my own since about 2002 or 2003, maybe as early as late 2001. In 2000, I had voted for GW Bush over Al Gore, but I had no real political ideology, but I was certainly more moderate than today. If someone had given me a test at the time to identify what my ideology was, it would probably show me as center or center-left, even though I voted Bush. 

Anyway, Kucinich is my pick even though there are times that he says stuff that makes me cringe.  

It's funny how many more Liberals there are than Conservatives on the forum, representing a huge inversion from years past.

Kucinich is probably the best Democrat on the list. His domestic policy mostly sucks, but he is good on foreign policy and on his mistrust of the deep state