• Lyndon B Johnson (D)
    • George W Bush (R)
  3. 3. Polk V Dwight Eisenhower

• Dwight Eisenhower (R)
    • James Polk (D)

Poll

35 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

Poll

Wilson vs HW Bush? Really? Awful match up imo. No good winner from my preference ha. 

36 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

Poll

Polk's a piss poor representative of a Democrat by 20th Century standards. He's more paleoconservative than the vast majority of 20th Century Republicans.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Polk's a piss poor representative of a Democrat by 20th Century standards. He's more paleoconservative than the vast majority of 20th Century Republicans.

Ike is a top tier President anyway so it's a pretty uneven match up. 

5 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

Ike is a top tier President anyway so it's a pretty uneven match up. 

Ike was not a good president

39 minutes ago, pilight said:

Ike was not a good president

Not good, because he was great

51 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Not good, because he was great

Letting Joe McCarthy run amok, institutionalizing New Deal programs intended as temporary, allowing outright bribery of top administration officials, he was terrible.  He was also the first president to invoke "Executive Privilege", leading to the opaque and secretive government we have today.

1 minute ago, pilight said:

Letting Joe McCarthy run amok, institutionalizing New Deal programs intended as temporary, allowing outright bribery of top administration officials, he was terrible.  He was also the first president to invoke "Executive Privilege", leading to the opaque and secretive government we have today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-eisenhower-worked-stealthily-to-reign-in-joseph-mccarthy/2017/04/14/59ac86a2-f9ee-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html in regards to McCarthy. 

I don't have an opinion nor response that could satisfy one way or the other.

I do think the way he allowed people in the admin and aids to do their own thing is good, however he may have been, or appeared to be to hands off at times. I also think he could have handled some things better but I'm generally in support of the approach he took.

I'd argue FDR contributed a lot to the secretive government that we have today, I'd also argue that every President since Ike has done more to expand the power of the office and abuse the power of office than not. Two wrongs don't make a right though, but he has flaws like anyone. I never said he was perfect, just top tier and great. I'd vote for him over a lot of other who had held the office or wish to. However that's my opinion and you are entitled to your own that he's terrible, I just don't think he is myself. 

I wanted to vote for Ike on No.3