270soft Forum
vcczar

President Infinity Crushes the Competition

I just played a Steam game called Two Seventy US Election. The game looks cool. Interesting concept, but by God it's inaccurate! The strategy is too simple.

Here's a screenshot of me playing as Hillary Clinton against Donald Trump. Not only did I win an EC landslide, it looks like I won 75% of the PV.:

image.thumb.png.34f9755cf894a8dc9541a6a40117c5d8.png

31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I just played a Steam game called Two Seventy US Election. The game looks cool. Interesting concept, but by God it's inaccurate! The strategy is too simple.

Here's a screenshot of me playing as Hillary Clinton against Donald Trump. Not only did I win an EC landslide, it looks like I won 75% of the PV.:

I think I've played this on my phone. Some candidates are locked behind micro transactions if I remember right. 

27 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I think I've played this on my phone. Some candidates are locked behind micro transactions if I remember right. 

Yeah. Lots of historical people too. However the strategy is so simple that I think could win with anyone. All you have to do is make sure you’re leading in like 3 endorsements and leading in the top 11 largest states first so you can keep a step ahead. Party and ideology makes almost no difference. Sanders can win evangelicals if he just tries slightly harder than Trump. 

8 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

Hillary Clinton should also have a double-chin in her image.

She can’t if she’s lifting her chin like that 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I think one of the big sellers TheorySpark and Anthony has on me is no other major election simulators out there are even CAPABLE of covering anything but recent and current U.S. Presidential elections, specifically, and very few have customizable fanmade scenario creation possibilities. That's what's why TheorySpark is the only one I still even consider or touch of any election simulator out there. In fact, I wasn't lured to this site originally by a PRESIDENTIAL election game, but by a free demo for Canadian Prime Minister Forever 2006, actually.

33 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think one of the big sellers TheorySpark and Anthony has on me is no other major election simulators out there are even CAPABLE of covering anything but recent and current U.S. Presidential elections, specifically, and very few have customizable fanmade scenario creation possibilities. That's what's why TheorySpark is the only one I still even consider or touch of any election simulator out there. In fact, I wasn't lured to this site originally by a PRESIDENTIAL election game, but by a free demo for Canadian Prime Minister Forever 2006, actually.

There is demand for election games. People follow elections so closely. I’m assuming there must only be a few developers that have the expertise to pull a reasonable Election game off in a way that has some accuracy. I’ve been working on a game for several months now. I know it will be the best thing out there if I can find a developer to take it. It’s the game you’ve occasionally observed in the forum. 

I agree — I also believe President infinity is the only one that really tries to represent the primary process.  Most games focus exclusively on the general election.

24 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I agree — I also believe President infinity is the only one that really tries to represent the primary process.  Most games focus exclusively on the general election.

Yeah, the primaries are actually my favorite part of the PI games. I think the game operates better in the primaries because of all the tension caused by all the candidates. There's a lot of action going on. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, the primaries are actually my favorite part of the PI games. I think the game operates better in the primaries because of all the tension caused by all the candidates. There's a lot of action going on. 

The first President Forever game put out by TheorySpark - possibly their first game period - P4E2004, did not have primaries, and was limited to four parties, with blue, red, yellow, and green being the only available party colours. Even so, a large number of fan made scenarios cropped, because you could already replace the map (including all regions on it), logos, candidates, platforms, starting and ending years, etc. (though there was no in-game editor - you had to do it "manually," like the old PM4E and K4E games - by direct editing of .bmp and .txt files), fan made scenarios that already included (by the time P4E2008 came out, and introduced an in-game editor and primaries), historical scenarios going back to 1796, gubernatorial scenarios, mayoral scenarios, foreign presidential ones, and some odd and imaginative. The editing capabilities and the fan made scenario making have always the biggest draw for me, here.

19 minutes ago, Patine said:

The first President Forever game put out by TheorySpark - possibly their first game period - P4E2004, did not have primaries, and was limited to four parties, with blue, red, yellow, and green being the only available party colours. Even so, a large number of fan made scenarios cropped, because you could already replace the map (including all regions on it), logos, candidates, platforms, starting and ending years, etc. (though there was no in-game editor - you had to do it "manually," like the old PM4E and K4E games - by direct editing of .bmp and .txt files), fan made scenarios that already included (by the time P4E2008 came out, and introduced an in-game editor and primaries), historical scenarios going back to 1796, gubernatorial scenarios, mayoral scenarios, foreign presidential ones, and some odd and imaginative. The editing capabilities and the fan made scenario making have always the biggest draw for me, here.

You the ability to customize the game is essential to me. That's the same case for any game actually. I tend to like creating things even more than partaking in the things I create, unless I"m simulating. I like simulating things. It's like watching a alternative history movie. 

17 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

Of course they went down that route. Might as well literally charge them real money to air ads. 

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, the numbers here don't feel realistic. Also, Clinton wins with 75% but doesn't win Washington state?

I think the game was made rather superficially. There seems to be more attention made to microtransactions. It's a free to play game, but you have to pay to unlock party funds, pay to make new candidates available, etc.

The cool thing about the game is that it does take catering to demographics such as Big Business, Evangelicals, Youth Vote, etc. into account, but the main thing you get from those is just campaign money to put into the states. Candidate abilities play no role. They have certain strengths that might make it cheaper to campaign in some states or campaign for some endorsers, but anyone can win any state or any endorser. It would not be difficult for Bernie Sanders to win evangelicals and lock up the Deep South rather quickly if he jumped on the gun. He could easily win both Evangelicals and Women's Rights activists if the opponent is focusing on other things. 

I think you might get some ideas from the game, but your game is 1,000x better. There's no replay value to this other game. Once you figure out the fool proof strategy you could win as David Duke and take CA, MA, HI, and DC. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think you might get some ideas from the game

I don't think I've ever played another election game. I have a boxed version of President Elect from 1987 with my other boxed games, but that was sent to me by the creator Nelson Hernandez, complete with a 5 1/4" floppy disk.

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I don't think I've ever played another election game. I have a boxed version of President Elect from 1987 with my other boxed games, but that was sent to me by the creator Nelson Hernandez, complete with a 5 1/4" floppy disk.

I'm fairly certain I've played that game, but it's been a long, long time. Probably within 10 years of it coming out. 

I've played a few election games or hybrid election/governing games. There's always massive flaws in the other ones. I forgot which game it was, but I remember in one of them all you have to do is pass laws that are popular and you win the upcoming election---regardless of which party you are, even if your own party disapproved of every law you passed. There's basically no reason to have a party. In another game, also forgot the name, investing government spending in infrastructure automatically gets you 80% of popular vote in the next election. However, if you are too active of a president, you soon run out of legislation to enact in the 2nd term. This game didn't like inactive president. Despite getting 80% of the vote for reelection, I was removed from office once most of the nation protested because I couldn't pass any more laws to appease activists. Major flaws. 

I think the primary issues with some of these game makers that make political games is that there could be a combination of these factors: 1) they might be look for quick money by making a political game in a market that has too few of them, despite being something many people keep up with. 2) The creators of the game only have a surface level understanding of government, elections, and history. 3) The creators lack imagination of what players might do that thing differently than they do. 4) Didn't do enough playtesting in Beta. 5) Aren't interested in customer feedback, maybe because they're on to other projects or don't want to admit to having a flaw in the game. 6) Can't think of a way to undo the flaws without greatly messing other things up. 7) The creators did not have a lot of foresight as to how the game works during extended playthroughs. Things start having a butterfly effect over time. This means they aren't paying attention to playtesters playing the game all the way through. 8.) They may have had only passing interest in making the game, so they've lost interesting in improving it. 9) They don't sense any real competitors so the rest on their laurels and just do enough to stay ahead of the game and nothing more. 10 ) Some other factor I'm not considering/missing or a factor close to these that I'm slightly inaccurate on,  etc. 

51 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Made you wish you'd kept your old Amiga. :P

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Made you wish you'd kept your old Amiga. :P

Still have my family's first computer, which supposedly I pestered my parents to get when I was 7, complete with dual 5 1/4" slots. Just have to get it out of storage ...

24 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Still have my family's first computer, which supposedly I pestered my parents to get when I was 7, complete with dual 5 1/4" slots. Just have to get it out of storage ...

How lucky! Mine has a crappy Texas Instruments clunker with still used audio cassettes for data. I was envious of two my friends, who had Apple II series computers.

31 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I never had a computer until I was 18 when I could get a credit card. My parents really didn't really understand the importance of computers, and they wouldn't buy me one as much as I asked to buy one. I remember that one of my friends had one at age 7, and I kept wanting to use it to play Police Quest and Quest for Glory. The Apple II GS was the first computer I knew kind of well. This was before I owned my own computer, which I think was a Dell, but I'm not certain. I used to go to the computer lab and mess around with the computers when I was about 15. 

15 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

💪👍

I played the first four. I think my favorite one was the one set in Russia/Romania/Moldovia. I think it was the 3rd one. 

Democracy is a pretty decent game when it comes to governing, but the election part of it is little more than an afterthought.  You start the game as the head of government.

When your term expires, the election consists of a referendum on your job performance.  There's no campaign and no opponent.  If 50%+ of the public approves of you when your term is up, you are re-elected and get to serve another term.  If not, game over.  If you win a huge landslide, there are more actions you can take each turn.  That's about it. 

9547-9-democracy.jpg

4 minutes ago, darkmoon72 said:

Democracy is a pretty decent game when it comes to governing, but the election part of it is little more than an afterthought.  You start the game as the head of government.

When your term expires, the election consists of a referendum on your job performance.  There's no campaign and no opponent.  If 50%+ of the public approves of you when your term is up, you are re-elected and get to serve another term.  If not, game over.  If you win a huge landslide, there are more actions you can take each turn.  That's about it. 

Democracy is a weird game, interesting but weird.  I started as a Democrat, but had high support from conservatives and none from liberals.  I was 0% likely to get elected, climbed to 80% somehow, won re-election, and was then assassinated.