270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Actinguy

Trump Impeached & Convicted

Thought I'd try a fun "what if" scenario -- Trump is impeached and actually convicted.

I used the core 2020 scenario, but switched "off" Trump, and switched "on" Pence and a handful of other Republicans such as Cruz, Rubio, Bush, Kasich, etc.

I also switched off the Democrats who seem unlikely to make the November debate (keeping just the top five plus Booker, Yang, and Steyer).  

I set the start date to Jan 1, 2020.

John Kasich quickly won the Republican nomination, by March.

The Democrat contest was much more interesting, becoming a neck and neck race between Biden & Buttigieg -- largely agreeing on policy, the fight largely centered around "too old" versus "too young".

By the time the others dropped out, most states were falling almost 50% for both Biden and Buttigieg, making a contested convention seem extremely likely.  But in the end, Biden came out ahead in the very last primary, winning 57% of Washington DC and giving him just five delegates more than he needed to claim the prize.

Biden chooses fellow moderate, Arizona Senator Kyrsten Sinema, as his Vice President.  As someone who agrees with him on policy, is a woman, and is the first Democrat to win a Senate Seat in Arizona in 30 years, this is an interesting choice.  She's also only 43 (helping with the age problem), has completed an Ironman Triathalon, and would be our first openly bisexual Vice President.

Kasich chooses fellow Trump critic, Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse, as his VP.  This Harvard and Yale graduate, who previously served as Assistant Secretary of Health & Human Services, has also served in the Departments of Justice & Homeland Security.  

The race is extremely close throughout the night -- but in the end, though they fail to get Sinema's Arizona, Biden pulls out ahead.

image.png.43a656086efff1e254fa6bd9538e42d6.png

A Kasich-Sasse ticket wouldn't actually be all that bad. On the flip side a Biden-Sinema ticket wouldn't be all that bad either. Optimistic America timeline ha.

15 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

A Kasich-Sasse ticket wouldn't actually be all that bad. On the flip side a Biden-Sinema ticket wouldn't be all that bad either. Optimistic America timeline ha.

Right?  “Our long national nightmare is over.”

Reminds me of 2008, pre-Palin.  It seemed like no matter who won the general election, things would be alright!

Then McCain chose Palin, and that was the end of that.

I misread this headline as being in the general forum and I got my hopes up! 

51 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I misread this headline as being in the general forum and I got my hopes up! 

Ha!  That would be awfully expedited.  ;c)