270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mahlerman2000

Georgia Gubernatorial 2018/Senatorial 2020

Hi y'all, I've spent some time learning from my Illinois one and other people on the site, and now I grandly reveal my new creation: Georgia Gubernatorial 2018/Senatorial 2020. I had heard you all wanted it done somewhere, but here it is to play. Let me know if there's anything I can/should improve.

Primaries end in convention on May 22 that is proportional to each county's partisan primary raw vote numbers. 

Democratic:

Stacey Abrams, Former House Minority Leader and 2018 Gubernatorial nominee

Teresa Tomlinson, Mayor of Columbus and 2020 Senate candidate

Ted Terry, Mayor of Clarkston and 2020 Senate candidate

Sanford Bishop, incumbent Representative from GA-02

Hank Johnson, incumbent Representative from GA-04

John Lewis, incumbent Representative from GA-05

Lucy McBath, incumbent Representative from GA-06

Jim Marshall, former Representative from GA-08

John Barrow, former Representative from GA-12

David Scott, incumbent Representative from GA-13

Stacey Evans, former State Representative

Jason Carter, former State Senator and grandson of President Jimmy Carter

Michelle Nunn, philanthropist and daughter of US Senator Sam Nunn

Sally Yates, former Acting Attorney General

Jon Ossoff, documentary filmmaker, 2017 GA-06 special nominee, 2020 Senate candidate

Sarah Riggs Amico, 2018 LG nominee

Republicans:

Brian Kemp, incumbent Governor and Former SOS

Casey Cagle, former LG

Sonny Perdue, current US Sec of Agriculture and former Gov

David Perdue, incumbent US senator

Johnny Isakson, incumbent US senator

Buddy Carter, incumbent Representative from GA-01

Drew Ferguson, incumbent Representative from GA-03

Karen Handel, former SOS and former Representative from GA-06

Rob Woodall, incumbent Representative from GA-07

Austin Scott, incumbent Representative from GA-08

Doug Collins, incumbent Representative from GA-09

Jody Hice, incumbent Representative from GA-10

Barry Loudermilk, incumbent Representative from GA-11

Rick Allen, incumbent Representative from GA-12

Tom Graves, incumbent Representative from GA-14

Georgia 2018:2020.zip

3 minutes ago, mahlerman2000 said:

Hi y'all, I've spent some time learning from my Illinois one and other people on the site, and now I grandly reveal my new creation: Georgia Gubernatorial 2018/Senatorial 2020. I had heard you all wanted it done somewhere, but here it is to play. Let me know if there's anything I can/should improve.

Primaries end in convention on May 22 that is proportional to each county's partisan primary raw vote numbers. 

Democratic:

Stacey Abrams, Former House Minority Leader and 2018 Gubernatorial nominee

Teresa Tomlinson, Mayor of Columbus and 2020 Senate candidate

Ted Terry, Mayor of Clarkston and 2020 Senate candidate

Sanford Bishop, incumbent Representative from GA-02

Hank Johnson, incumbent Representative from GA-04

John Lewis, incumbent Representative from GA-05

Lucy McBath, incumbent Representative from GA-06

Jim Marshall, former Representative from GA-08

John Barrow, former Representative from GA-12

David Scott, incumbent Representative from GA-13

Stacey Evans, former State Representative

Jason Carter, former State Senator and grandson of President Jimmy Carter

Michelle Nunn, philanthropist and daughter of US Senator Sam Nunn

Sally Yates, former Acting Attorney General

Jon Ossoff, documentary filmmaker, 2017 GA-06 special nominee, 2020 Senate candidate

Sarah Riggs Amico, 2018 LG nominee

Republicans:

Brian Kemp, incumbent Governor and Former SOS

Casey Cagle, former LG

Sonny Perdue, current US Sec of Agriculture and former Gov

David Perdue, incumbent US senator

Johnny Isakson, incumbent US senator

Buddy Carter, incumbent Representative from GA-01

Drew Ferguson, incumbent Representative from GA-03

Karen Handel, former SOS and former Representative from GA-06

Rob Woodall, incumbent Representative from GA-07

Austin Scott, incumbent Representative from GA-08

Doug Collins, incumbent Representative from GA-09

Jody Hice, incumbent Representative from GA-10

Barry Loudermilk, incumbent Representative from GA-11

Rick Allen, incumbent Representative from GA-12

Tom Graves, incumbent Representative from GA-14

Georgia 2018:2020.zip 3.23 MB · 0 downloads

What about the Libertarian Party? They're Statewide office candidates often get better showings than in many U.S. States.

15 hours ago, mahlerman2000 said:

Who are the Libertarian candidates in Georgia? Also since it is GA, is there a runoff mechanism in the game?

Ted Metz

Doug Craig

I played through it.  I like the scenario.  I'm not sure why all the Democrats start out with $3 billion, meanwhile the Republicans start out with only $25 million.  But I decided to make do with the limited resources I had.

Abrams-my-best-had-2-billion.jpg.b2884cdaeb84b518ed0d7a7790cc9cbd.jpg

I think I still had about $2.7 billion left by the end.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:52 PM, darkmoon72 said:

I played through it.  I like the scenario.  I'm not sure why all the Democrats start out with $3 billion, meanwhile the Republicans start out with only $25 million.  But I decided to make do with the limited resources I had.

Abrams-my-best-had-2-billion.jpg.b2884cdaeb84b518ed0d7a7790cc9cbd.jpg

I think I still had about $2.7 billion left by the end.

Meanwhile, when did Georgia rotate? Did San Andreas have a really bad day or something?

4 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Meanwhile, when did Georgia rotate? Did San Andreas have a really bad day or something?

Having East at the top of the map is unusual, but there's no real reason for North to be there.  

Just now, pilight said:

Having East at the top of the map is unusual, but there's no real reason for North to be there.  

except for the fact that that is how mapmaking works.

4 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

1 minute ago, pilight said:

It was actually a map made on my request in 2009 by a poster named @Rz9392, whom I haven't seen for a while, for a Georgia scenario I had planned by P4E2008 that never got off the ground. It was made that way to better fit ALL those in the default TheorySpark game map dimensions.

34 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

except for the fact that that is how mapmaking works.

Maps can be made with any direction at the top.  Many Australian maps have South at the top.  The Romans put West at the top of their maps.  North was established as the top by Europeans who saw themselves as above Africans, and made maps that reflected that world view.  Mapmaking has long been political.  Why do you think the Mercator projection, made in the 1500's, is still the predominant world map in Europe and the US?  Because it makes Europe and North America look bigger while Africa and South America look smaller.  Mercator is great if you want to navigate the Atlantic using a sextant.  As a tool to show what the world looks like, it's awful.

1 hour ago, pilight said:

Maps can be made with any direction at the top.  Many Australian maps have South at the top.  The Romans put West at the top of their maps.  North was established as the top by Europeans who saw themselves as above Africans, and made maps that reflected that world view.  Mapmaking has long been political.  Why do you think the Mercator projection, made in the 1500's, is still the predominant world map in Europe and the US?  Because it makes Europe and North America look bigger while Africa and South America look smaller.  Mercator is great if you want to navigate the Atlantic using a sextant.  As a tool to show what the world looks like, it's awful.

I love how a simple point about how in convention mapmaking North goes on top turned into a that about the Mercator projection when Robinson also puts north on top

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

I love how a simple point about how in convention mapmaking North goes on top turned into a that about the Mercator projection when Robinson also puts north on top

Medieval Indonesian and Tamil mariners put South on top.

33 minutes ago, Patine said:

Medieval Indonesian and Tamil mariners put South on top.

They are not nearly as relevant as what modern mainstream Western and Eastern for that matter geography have to say on the subject.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

They are not nearly as relevant as what modern mainstream Western and Eastern for that matter geography have to say on the subject.

But the topic, as @pilight was articulating, was on how subjective compass point directions as cardinal on maps were. In that way, they are indeed relevant.

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

So does Winkel.  But any of those projections can be turned to have a different orientation.  They would be no less accurate.

Geography has nothing to say about the subject.  North being on top is a convention spread by people who live in the north.

Hey guys, version 2.0 is out. New additions include:

The Libertarian Party, with 2 candidates, Ted Metz and Doug Craig as @jvikings1 graciously pointed out. The primary system for the Libertarian Party is unique, in that I chose to make it the County Unit System of yore (for those of you interested, read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_unit_system) Second, the fundraising issue is fixed. All candidates now have $100k in primaries and $25M if starting in general. 

Plenty of other minor fixes, but those are the main two ones. Let me know if anything else should change. 

Georgia 2018:2020.zip

On 10/20/2019 at 3:16 AM, mahlerman2000 said:

Hey guys, version 2.0 is out. New additions include:

The Libertarian Party, with 2 candidates, Ted Metz and Doug Craig as @jvikings1 graciously pointed out. The primary system for the Libertarian Party is unique, in that I chose to make it the County Unit System of yore (for those of you interested, read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_unit_system) Second, the fundraising issue is fixed. All candidates now have $100k in primaries and $25M if starting in general. 

Plenty of other minor fixes, but those are the main two ones. Let me know if anything else should change. 

Georgia 2018:2020.zip 3.43 MB · 6 downloads

Why does it say "Path type is not supported" every time I import the campaign?