270soft Forum
admin_270

Dems, don't get complacent quite yet

If you're looking at the polling and thinking 2020 will be a cruise to victory for Dems, you should be aware of news stories like this.

https://www.apnews.com/3b5b5d61556f4ca49402477de9d28bdb

Fundraising numbers are also an interesting proxy for grassroots support for Trump. The article claims this is almost double what Obama had raised in the same period in 2011.

That is worrying.

It's confusing.  If he's raised $308 million and has $156 million in the bank, that means he's already spent $152 million plus everything he raised in 2017 and 2018 (about 67 million according to the FEC.  What in the world has the campaign spent $220 million on?

I just recently re-watched this interview with Brad Parscale from early this year, where he discusses just what they've been doing 3, 2, and now 1 year out from the election. 

5 hours ago, admin_270 said:

If you're looking at the polling and thinking 2020 will be a cruise to victory for Dems, you should be aware of news stories like this.

https://www.apnews.com/3b5b5d61556f4ca49402477de9d28bdb

Fundraising numbers are also an interesting proxy for grassroots support for Trump. The article claims this is almost double what Obama had raised in the same period in 2011.

I agree entirely, even without the fundraising.

We should never be complacent.  

I took the 2016 election to be a done deal by the time Jeb! dropped out.  Barely worth even tuning in.  I was so smug, thankful I'd never have to listen to Donald Trump's voice again.  I would have literally bet my house against his victory if I'd been able to find anyone dumb enough to take the bet.

And I would have lost.

This time, I take nothing for granted.  We have to fight every single step of the way.

In fact, I truly believe that Trump will cheat again. And again. And again. He'll have repealed term limits by then, I'm sure, and declared himself dictator-for-life. You know he'd like to, and he'll certainly try!

18 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I agree entirely, even without the fundraising.

We should never be complacent.  

I took the 2016 election to be a done deal by the time Jeb! dropped out.  Barely worth even tuning in.  I was so smug, thankful I'd never have to listen to Donald Trump's voice again.  I would have literally bet my house against his victory if I'd been able to find anyone dumb enough to take the bet.

And I would have lost.

This time, I take nothing for granted.  We have to fight every single step of the way.

Recommend becoming a member of your local/state Democratic Party and actively volunteering to build up infrastructure.  Join the campaigns of local races if any are the ballot in your jurisdiction this November.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:58 AM, pilight said:

It's confusing.  If he's raised $308 million and has $156 million in the bank, that means he's already spent $152 million plus everything he raised in 2017 and 2018 (about 67 million according to the FEC.  What in the world has the campaign spent $220 million on?

He has held rallies throughout his term as President (especially during the midterms).  They are also attempting to build a massive ground game operation (which greatly benefitted the Dems in 2018) in order to compete as best as possible in the swing states.

3 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

Recommend becoming a member of your local/state Democratic Party and actively volunteering to build up infrastructure.  Join the campaigns of local races if any are the ballot in your jurisdiction this November.

I’d love nothing more, but I have a career, young child, and sick wife.  I have been financially contributing, and will happily volunteer if I can find a way to make it work.

3 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

I'm afraid I have a much more election to worry about, that's much closer to home, has immensely higher stakes for me, is coming up right away, and I can actually vote in. Besides, their are no local organizations or candidates for the Democratic Party of the United States where I live (funny that). And, party membership in any party, ANYWHERE, is something I've thus far avoided in my life (though I have toyed a few times in my younger days with starting my own party).

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm afraid I have a much more election to worry about, that's much closer to home, has immensely higher stakes for me, is coming up right away, and I can actually vote in. Besides, their are no local organizations or candidates for the Democratic Party of the United States where I live (funny that). And, party membership in any party, ANYWHERE, is something I've thus far avoided in my life (though I have toyed a few times in my younger days with starting my own party).

You are replying to a comment that wasn't addressed to you super smugly. Stop.

Just now, SilentLiberty said:

You are replying to a comment that wasn't addressed to you super smugly. Stop.

Well, to be fair, the first part (that there's more pressing election for me a lot sooner), and the last part (my lack of any party membership anywhere) are still valid statements. It was only my going on about the lack of a political presence by the Democratic Party of the United States in my locality that truly lived up to the smugness you are indicting me for.