270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Rating Barry Goldwater

Rating Sen. Barry Goldwater  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Read my first comment below to see Goldwater's career: How would you rate his career as a US Senator?

2. 2. Would Goldwater have been a better president than LBJ?

3. 3. How is Barry Goldwater remembered most?

• As the precursor of Ronald Reagan and social conservative-dominated GOP of the late 20th-early 21st century.
    • His landslide defeat to LBJ in 1964.
    • His opposition and vote against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
    • Advising Nixon to resign.

Here's Goldwater. Other Senators/Reps are in the forum. Feel free to propose the next person. 

Goldwater, Barry 86 S R AZ 1960 1960 1 emerges as leader of GOP conservatives
Goldwater, Barry 86 S R AZ 1960 1960 2 author of Conscience of a Conservative
Goldwater, Barry 87 S R AZ 1961 1961 3 argues vs. JFK aid to education bill
Goldwater, Barry 87 S R AZ 1961 1961 4 backs Peace Corps
Goldwater, Barry 87 S R AZ 1962 1962 5 author of Why Not Victory?
Goldwater, Barry 88 S R AZ 1964 1964 6 opposes Civil Rights Act of 1964
Goldwater, Barry 88 S R AZ 1964 1964 7 GOP nominee for pres
Goldwater, Barry 93 S R AZ 1974 1974 8 advises Nixon to resign
Goldwater, Barry 95 S R AZ 1977 1977 9 outraged at pardon of VN draft evaders
Goldwater, Barry 95 S R AZ 1977 1978 10 advises pres not to press Panama treaties
Goldwater, Barry 95 S R AZ 1978 1979 11 attacks normalization of China relations
Goldwater, Barry 97 S R AZ 1981 1981 12 attacks Falwell for opposing S.D. O'Connor
Goldwater, Barry 98 S R AZ 1984 1984 13 angry at CIA's mining Nicaraguan harbors

32 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Feel free to propose the next person. 

Rand Paul

Mitch McConnell

Chuck Schumer

Bernie Sanders

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

Rand Paul

Mitch McConnell

Chuck Schumer

Bernie Sanders

Ok I’ll do any of these that reach at least 10 “actions”

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok I’ll do any of these that reach at least 10 “actions”

William Knowland

Robert Taft

John Bricker

Henry Cabot Lodge Sr

William J Fulbright

Rufus King

James G Blaine

John W Kern

Carl Albert

I'll think of more

6 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

William Knowland

Robert Taft

John Bricker

Henry Cabot Lodge Sr

William J Fulbright

Rufus King

James G Blaine

John W Kern

Carl Albert

I'll think of more

A lot of those people are doable 

17 minutes ago, vcczar said:

A lot of those people are doable 

Roughly half of them are completely unfamiliar to me.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

Roughly half of them are completely unfamiliar to me.

Short version:

William Knowland  - Quasi-heir apparent of Robert Taft as leader of the Conservative Wing of the GOP in the 1950s. He committed suicide. 

Robert Taft - Son of the Pres., and leader of the Conservative Wing (Pro-Civil Rights, but fiscally conservative)

John Bricker - Another competitor to follow Taft as Cons GOP leader. Famous for the Bricker Amendment, which aimed to reduce executive power. 

Henry Cabot Lodge Sr - Leader of the Imperialist GOP win in the 1890s, 1900s, 1910s. Also opposed the League of Nations. 

William J Fulbright - Odd mix of good ol' fashion Southern racist conservatism and pro-common person progressivism. Was huge in government funded education. 

Rufus King - Founding Father, Fed nominee, early abolitionist. 

James G Blaine - Leader of the Half-Breeds during the Gilded Age. Pro-reform, pro-compromise. Personally questionable, however. Said to have been really charismatic. 

John W Kern - Wasn't in the Senate long but was arguably the leading Progressive Democrat in regards to influence and political skill. 

Carl Albert - Speaker of the US House. He was under 5 feet tall. 

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Rand Paul

He doesn't have enough "actions" so far, using Mayhew's method for actions. Here they are, if you're curious:

Paul, Rand   S   KY 2011 2011 1 One of two GOP to vote against extending Patriot Act
Paul, Rand   S   KY 2013 2013 2 12 hour fillibuster vs. Obama's drone program
Paul, Rand   S   KY 2016 2016 3 GOP pres cand
Paul, Rand   S   KY 2017 2017 4 Opposes GOP efforts of replacing Obamacare, insisting on full repeal
Paul, Rand   S   KY 2018 2018 5 Blocked a resolution calling on Trump to speak with Mueller over Russian Investigation

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Rand Paul

Mitch McConnell

Chuck Schumer

Bernie Sanders

McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2010 2010 1 One of a few Sen to vote againt New Start treaty w/ Russia
McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2012 2012 2 Filibusters his own proposal to raise the debt ceiling
McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2013 2013 3 Only leader in Congress to vote against Syrian airstrikes
McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2015 2015 4 Becomes Sen Maj ldr
McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2016 2017 5 Succeessful stops Merrick Garland nomination through legal but controversial method
McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2017 2017 6 Extends the nuclear option to allow majority vote for SC nominations (Gorsuch)
McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2017 2017 7 Leads the attempt to repeal Obamacare but fails.
McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2018 2018 8 Thwarts bipartisan effort to protect Mueller investigation
McConnell, Mitch   S R KY 2019 2019 9 A leader in calling for sanctions against Syria

He's got 9. Just needs to do one more consequential somewhat autonomous action. Maybe the impeachment thing will be an action at some point. 

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Bernie Sanders

He also only has 9 for right now: 

Sanders, Bernie 102 H I VT 1991 1991 1 Voted against Iraq War resolution
Sanders, Bernie   H I VT 2001 2001 2 Votes against the Patriot Act
Sanders, Bernie   H I VT 2002 2002 3 Voted against Iraq War resolution
Sanders, Bernie   S D VT 2016 2016 4 Dem Pres Cand
Sanders, Bernie   S D VT 2016 2016 5 Crucial endorsement of Clinton's nomination fails to convince a quarter of his supporters.
Sanders, Bernie   S I VT 2017 2017 6 Leads push for $15 min wage
Sanders, Bernie   S I VT 2017 2017 7 Takes lead in calling for Universal Single-Payer Healthcare on Senate floor
Sanders, Bernie   S I VT 2018 2018 8 Leads effort to invoke War Resolution to stop support of Saudi war in Yemen
Sanders, Bernie   S D VT 2020 2020   Dem Pres Cand

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Chuck Schumer

Schumer only has 4 actions and none of them are interesting. He is too much of a party player to really stand out or really lead in a personal sense. 

I'll likely pick some of @Reagan04 suggestions. Sanders and McConnell are almost there. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Carl Albert - Speaker of the US House. He was under 5 feet tall. 

There was also a moment in 1973 where it looked as though he could become the first Speaker to ascend to the Presidency by virtue of his Speakership at a time when Nixon and Agnew were under fire. Of course, Nixon had Agnew resign then replaced him with Ford for the first time in history to stop the Democrat Albert from flipping the Presidency. That's How I know him mostly

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Schumer only has 4 actions and none of them are interesting. He is too much of a party player to really stand out or really lead in a personal sense. 

I'll likely pick some of @Reagan04 suggestions. Sanders and McConnell are almost there. 

What about Harry Reid?

Bernie and Schumer don't surprise me too much (due to them only really becoming relevant recently).

But, I'm kind of surprised that McConnell and Rand (especially him) don't have more notable actions.  Since Rand is one of the most rebellious members of the Senate, I'd thought there would have been more actions considered major.