270soft Forum
admin_270

Would Pence have better prospects in 2020 than Trump?

Let's say what seems unlikely right now actually happens, and the Senate votes 2/3rds to remove Trump, and therefore Pence becomes President.

Would Pence have better prospects at winning the 2020 election than Trump did before getting removed from office? What say ye?

Just now, admin_270 said:

Let's say what seems unlikely right now actually happens, and the Senate votes 2/3rds to remove Trump, and therefore Pence becomes President.

Would Pence have better prospects at winning re-election than Trump did before getting removed from office? What say ye?

I don't think so, since impeachment tends to stain the party as well. I also think some Trump backers might refuse to back Pence. I could be wrong. If the economy stays strong or gets better, and he avoids controversy, he could pull off a Calvin Coolidge. I think the difference between Harding-Coolidge and Trump-Pence is that Coolidge was detached from Harding's administration; therefore, he avoided even a hint of scandal. Pence will be blamed for taking some part, even if it's periodically defending Trump. 

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Would Pence have better prospects at winning the 2020 election than Trump did before getting removed from office? What say ye?

Pence is a lot scarier, and a member of a political ideological camp who tend to do - or promote - great evil and suffering in the (vanely) of a religion they claim to follow, but almost none of the doctrines they espouse or enact are in line with at - much of it is outright anathema or antithetical, in fact - and they feel utterly self-righteous in such, and are unswayed by region or virtue, or, quite, human feeling on the matter. As a Christian, I find this camp to be a great force of utter evil and a vile mockery to my faith. Donald Trump is, by comparison, just a floundering fool.

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

If Pence becomes President, I guarantee that the events of Rumsfeldia will become a reality.

Well, maybe ONE of them would. Don't declare yourself a prophet just yet...

21 minutes ago, pilight said:

I'd guess Pence has little-to-no chance of being elected president under any scenario

He might even Primaried if was him, and not Trump, as the incumbent.