270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Rating Lindsey Graham

Rating Sen. Lindsey Graham  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Read my first comment below to see Graham's career: How would you rate his career as a US Senator?

2. 2. Would Graham have made a better president than Clinton or Trump had he won in 2016?

• Yes, better than both.
    • Better than Trump but not Clinton
    • Better than Clinton but not Trump
    • No, he'd be worse than both.
  3. 3. How will Sen. Graham be remembered most in the future?

• As a neoconservative, favoring the use of the military in dealing with America's interests.
    • As having a strangely close relationship with John McCain (Bert and Ernie sort of thing).
    • As having failed in his 2016 Presidential bid.
    • For his sudden change heart and embrace of Trump's administration.
    • For his impassioned defense of Justice Kavanaugh.
    • I don't think he'll be remembered even 20 years after he is out of the Senate.

Here's Graham (see other Senators or US Reps in the forum). Feel free to propose other Congress people to rate:

Graham, Lindsey   H R SC 1997 1997 1 Leads failed coup against Gingrich speakership
Graham, Lindsey   H R SC 1998 1998 2 Only GOP on judicial comm to vote against every article of impeachment (Clinton)
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2002 2002 3 A leading proponent of the Iraq War Resolution
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2010 2010 4 Calls for pre-emptive strike on Iran to weaken their regime
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2010 2010 5 Opposes arms reduction treaty w/ Russia
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2012 2012 6 A leader in bipartisan effort for immigration reform
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2013 2013 7 Accuses Sec of State H. Clinton of "getting away w/ murder" re: Benghazi
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2016 2016 8 Opposes Trump's nominations; votes McMullin during Election
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2016 2016 9 GOP cand for pres
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2017 2017 10 His Graham-Cassidy bill to repeal Obamacare fails
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2018 2018 11 Reverses course on Trump support, to become one of his closest allies and defenders.
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2018 2018 12 Plays key role in pushing Kavanaugh confirmation through
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2019 2019 13 Calls for military invasion of Venezuela to overthrow Maduro
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2019 2019 14 Single-handedly blocked Mueller Report going public despite unanimous House vote
Graham, Lindsey   S R SC 2019 2019 15 One of 7 GOP to block Trump's Saudi Arms deal

Thanks!

Before Trump win the presidency and he became a pro-Trump lunatic, I would have said he would have been a better president than Trump and maybe even rated him below-average instead of bad. But now he seems to been captured by the Trump GOP base and became the thing he once opposed. 

He's always been a pro-military neocon which is why I never liked him, but he did try to do some good work on immigration reform and climate change like 10 years ago, but he changed those views since then. 

Of course, ironically, Graham backed all these wars with flimsy reasons and rationales (the Iraq War based on an utter pack of lies), but fortunately the Iran and Venezuela interventions he supported never ended up happening, and such wars did - or would have, for the ones that never happened - ended up with a lot of gratuitous and unnecessary death, especially of civilians, and he chides Clinton for "getting away with murder." But, I guess, by the Goebbels-school of propaganda that still dominates in so much of the world today - the one that utterly dehumanizes whole demographics of people because "they're citizens of a nation one is at war with," or "they are, as a whole, enemies of or threats to one's nation and values," to twist the minds of ordinary, normally decent people atrocities by their government and military, it's SUPPOSED to be considered anywhere close to MURDER, or any other criminal action, is it? :S

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@vcczar Jeff Flake?

I know this may betray my preference for historical over modern American politics, because the latter seems so misguided, divisive, cynical, and self-destructive - but about someone less current - like maybe whose been dead a few decades, at least.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I know this may betray my preference for historical over modern American politics, because the latter seems so misguided, divisive, cynical, and self-destructive - but about someone less current - like maybe whose been dead a few decades, at least.

I don't think there was an active verb in your dependent clause. What exactly are you trying to say?

Here's a fun rule, don't use adjectives or dashes in the answer I honestly am not sure if you're approving of my suggestion or not, the first clause says yes but the rest says no.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

I don't think there was an active verb in your dependent clause. What exactly are you trying to say?

Here's a fun rule, don't use adjectives or dashes in the answer I honestly am not sure if you're approving of my suggestion or not, the first clause says yes but the rest says no.

I'm saying, I'd prefer the next one done up by @vcczar, was a historical choice and not a current one.

BTW, if I'm hard to read, I don't recommend such literary classics as "Finnegan's Wake," or "A Day in the Life," for bedtime reading for you or @Actinguy.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm saying, I'd prefer the next one done up by @vcczar, was a historical choice and not a current one.

BTW, if I'm hard to read, I don't recommend such literary classics as "Finnegan's Wake," or "A Day in the Life," for bedtime reading for you or @Actinguy.

Finnegans Wake is one of my favorite books. I can do a historical one next. Any suggestions?

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Finnegans Wake is one of my favorite books. I can do a historical one next. Any suggestions?

Henry Clay or Daniel Webster would be great. I noticed the very high numbers they had on the original list.

30 minutes ago, Patine said:

The difference is that their writing is complex but well-written and more importantly well-edited. Your writing is simply a case of pomp with no circumstance.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

The difference is that their writing is complex but well-written and more importantly well-edited. Your writing is simply a case of pomp with no circumstance.

You highly over-estimate 19th Century editors and publishers compared to today.

3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Can we keep this on topic so another thread doesn’t get shut down. 

Just now, vcczar said:

Can we keep this on topic so another thread doesn’t get shut down. 

My apologies.

Be that as it may, you should re-read the original statement in question because you start seemingly in support of a modern character, then delve into a string of adjectives on a micro tangent about modern politics and I'm guessing that while you were thinking of excessive adjectives you lost track of Your grammatical flow leading you to construct the back half in a manner which didn't quite stick the landing that the first clause set up.

52 minutes ago, Patine said:

I wasn't even in this thread.

19 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I wasn't even in this thread.

You were tagged for being just as guilty of constantly criticizing my grammar rather than respond to the subject of my post as @Reagan04. No other regular posters here I can think of constantly do that.

You were tagged for being just as guilty of constantly criticizing my grammar rather than respond to the subject of my post as @Reagan04. No other regular posters here I can think of constantly do that.

Honestly man, I really just wanted to know what you were saying.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

I only criticize because you get mad at me for not reading it.  I'm not criticizing it to be rude -- I'm being sincere:  most of the time, I have honest difficulty trying to grasp what it is that you're communicating.  This isn't a problem I encounter with other posters.

But I don't want to derail another thread, so I'll bow out of this one.

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

This isn't a problem I encounter with other posters.

You're very fortunate you first logged in after @Rarename91 stopped posting. You dodged someone with grammar consistently worse than mine - and who was also very opinionated and incendiary. And FAR less educated and knowledgeable of affairs.

Anyways, I'll bow out, too.

One of the worst kinds of Republicans.  He is no more than a big government Republican who wants the US to meddle in the business of every other country on the planet.  Hopefully, his voice in the Senate will be removed in the near future.

14 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

One of the worst kinds of Republicans.  He is no more than a big government Republican who wants the US to meddle in the business of every other country on the planet.  Hopefully, his voice in the Senate will be removed in the near future.

Would you support a Democratic challenger over Graham?

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I would to an extent but not over the reasons jvk lays out. Someone like Jim Hood would be better because of how Graham has fallen hook line and sinker for the fellating of Trump with every waking moment of his remaining career.

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

Depends what they would run on.  I wouldn't vote for Graham, but I can't say I'd vote for someone just based off a hypothetical.