270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Rating George W. Norris

Rating Sen. George W. Norris  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Read my first comment below to see Norris's career: How would you rate his career as a US Senator?

2. 2. Had you heard of George W. Norris prior to this thread?

3. 3. What will George W. Norris be most remembered for? (Fun fact: Scholars named him as a top 10 US Senator of all time as of 1988).

• Advocate for Progressive legislation and as a leader of Progressive Republicans.
    • Anti-war and isolationist stances.
    • His support for Democratic candidates for president if they are more liberal than the nominees of his own party.
    • Remembered? Who is the hell is Norris?

Same as with McCain, Kennedy, and Gingrich. Now George W. Norris, who also happens to be a collateral relative of mine (son of my great-great grandfather's sister). Feel free to propose Congress people to rate. This will be interesting since he's a Senator with a major legacy; yet, I doubt most people have even heard of him. 

Norris, George 61 H R NB 1909 1909 1 an insurgent leader vs. Cannon                
Norris, George 61 H R NB 1910 1910 2 leader of successful revolt vs. Cannon                
Norris, George 63 S R NB 1913 1913 3 fights to stiffen the income tax                
Norris, George 63 S R NB 1914 1914 4 strongly opposes U.S. role in European war                
Norris, George 64 S R NB 1916 1916 5 presses progressive taxation                
Norris, George 64 S R NB 1917 1917 6 filibuster vs. arming merchant ships                
Norris, George 65 S R NB 1917 1917 7 opposes declaration of war                
Norris, George 66 S R NB 1919 1919 8 an "irreconcilable" on League                
Norris, George 68 S R NB 1923 1924 9 2d most influential reformer                
Norris, George 68 S R NB 1924 1924 10 blocks private devt of Muscle Shoals                
Norris, George 69 S R NB 1925 1926 11 urges agricultural warehouses                
Norris, George 69 S R NB 1925 1925 12 assails Coolidge apptmts in mag piece                
Norris, George 69 S R NB 1926 1926 13 pushes for investig of aluminum trust                
Norris, George 70 S R NB 1928 1928 14 his Muscle Shoals bill vetoed by Coolidge                
Norris, George 70 S R NB 1928 1928 15 bolts GOP to support Al Smith for president                
Norris, George 71 S R NB 1930 1930 16 moves censure of Sen. Bingham                
Norris, George 71 S R NB 1931 1931 17 his Muscle Shoals bill vetoed by Hoover                
Norris, George 72 S R NB 1932 1932 18 Norris-La Guardia Act re labor-mgt relations                
Norris, George 72 S R NB 1932 1932 19 engineers 20th (anti-lameduck) Amdt                
Norris, George 72 S R NB 1932 1932 20 promotes relief policy                
Norris, George 73 S R NB 1933 1933 21 steers TVA through the Senate                
Norris, George 73 S R NB 1934 1934 22 spurs setup of Nye Committee                
Norris, George 74 S R NB 1935 1935 23 meeting with FDR to push him to the left                
Norris, George 76 S I NB 1939 1940 24 outspoken isolationist                

I propose Lindsey Graham.

30 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

That's a good proposal. He probably has some actions to consider. 

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I got Graham ready. He has 15 actions to look at. Oddly, he's been more consequential in his actions following the demise of the neocon and the rise of the Tea Party and Populism. 

I'll do Lindsey Graham once I get 4 more votes on Norris. 

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

I can't help but notice that @Reagan04 rates a Senator who was mostly anti-war as a legacy as "bad," and @Conservative Elector 2 rates him as "below average." Unless other, less obvious factors are stake that I'm unaware of...

Yes, but notice when he was anti-war.

"That Hitler guy sure does seem like a dick, but, man, I think it'll resolve itself."

4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

George Norris?  I haven't even heard of muscle shoals.  ;c)

Muscle Shoals was an early version of TVA. It's the name of an extremely run down town in Northern Alabama. It had no electricity, and no amenities for even farming that could have been considered anything remotely early 20th century. It was basically a 3rd world country, like most of the Tennessee Valley area. Norris attempted to use the federal government to help bring them in the 20th century (See FDR's TVA). However, Norris was pushing for this to be done over 10 years before FDR's Congress could get it through. 

8 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

"That Hitler guy sure does seem like a dick, but, man, I think it'll resolve itself."

Well, to be fair, the U.S. government as a whole waited until they were attacked by one of the Axis powers on their own initiative on American-administered territory before entering WW2 in a military manner, anyways. France and the British Empire declared war on Nazi Germany the very day the Wehrmacht crossed the Weiss River into Poland.

29 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, to be fair, the U.S. government as a whole waited until they were attacked by one of the Axis powers on their own initiative on American-administered territory before entering WW2 in a military manner, anyways. France and the British Empire declared war on Nazi Germany the very day the Wehrmacht crossed the Weiss River into Poland.

Yes, and while I wasn't in FDRs war room so I don't know what the realities were and what we were capable of with public opinion, we did support the Allies in their fight in Europe. There is a difference between isolationism and non-interventionism, while we didn't intervene militarily, we absolutely did not isolate ourselves.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Yes, and while I wasn't in FDRs war room so I don't know what the realities were and what we were capable of with public opinion, we did support the Allies in their fight in Europe. There is a difference between isolationism and non-interventionism, while we didn't intervene militarily, we absolutely did not isolate ourselves.

Although, I have a speculation (note, I do NOT claim actual true knowledge here I wouldn't logically have - this is entirely on a retrospective analysis of the political and military situation in late 1941, and a lack of confirmation, even today, may be do to the PR nightmare it would cause the Pentagon - even to this day - IF I'm actually correct) that the Japanese attack on December 7, 1941, MAY have been baited to provide FDR and his Cabinet and the Military Command a casus belli. The oil embargo, the seizing of Japanese funds in American banks, and U.S. lend-lease to China in the same way as to France, the USSR, and British Empire are well-known. But the constant absence on seemingly random and meandering "patrols" by the task force with included the aircraft carrier Enterprise SEEMED to make Pearl Harbour an easy target - because so many powerful ships were always off on patrol routes that SEEMED to lack a coherent navigation scheme - but they wheeled around and showed up REALLY quickly at the Battle of Midway in early 1942. Again, pure speculation. I don't claim any privileged knowledge I shouldn't have (not like @Rarename91 claimed to have ALL THE TIME).

I propose Bernie Sanders,Elizabeth Warren and Sherrod Brown

7 hours ago, Patine said:

I can't help but notice that @Reagan04 rates a Senator who was mostly anti-war as a legacy as "bad," and @Conservative Elector 2 rates him as "below average." Unless other, less obvious factors are stake that I'm unaware of...

7 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Yeah, during WWII I can't bring myself to endorse anti-war policies that much.  Should have the US let Hitler destroy even more of Europe?

Neville Chamberlain for example was not a hero at all (I mean perhaps I had done the same, I am not the waging a war guy obviously) but as someone who's family was even more effected by the wrongdoings of the Third Reich I don't value Norris' stance that much. The fact I am not going to the front easily, does not mean I don't expect it from elected leaders when humanity's at the stake.