Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Rating John McCain

Rating Sen. John McCain  

19 members have voted

  1. 1. Read my first comment below to see McCain's career: How would you rate John McCain's career as a US Senator?

  2. 2. Would John McCain have made a better president than Barack Obama?

  3. 3. What is John McCain's legacy?

    • Support for the military troops, veterans, and military intervention and preparedness in general
    • Failed 2008 presidential bid, including making Sarah Palin as his VP
    • A maverick that often bucked his own party line: immigration reform, campaign reform, criticism of Bush's handling the war, opposing Trump, saving Obamacare.


Recommended Posts

I'm using Dr. Mayhew's criteria for Congressional "actions" to list McCain's consequential maneuvers during his political career. He has 17, which is among the most.: 

McCain, John 104 S R AZ 1995 1996 1 Co sponsors Line Item Veto Act
McCain, John 106 S R AZ 1999 1999 2 Took lead in pressing the use of NATO ground troops in Kosovo
McCain, John 106 S R AZ 2000 2000 3 pres candidate
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2001 2002 4 McCain-Feingold campaign reform
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2001 2001 5 Broke w/ party to vote against Bush tax cuts
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2002 2002 6 Co-wrote legislation to create 9-11 Commission
McCain, John 108 S R AZ 2003 2004 7 Critic of Bush admins handling of the Iraq War
McCain, John 108 S R AZ 2004 2004 8 Defends John Kerry's war record from other GOP Election 2004 attacks
McCain, John 109 S R AZ 2005 2005 9 Led Gang of 14 that preserved Senate filibuster on judicial nominations
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2007 2007 10 Leading Senator proponent of troop surge in Iraq
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2007 2007 11 Breaks w/ base of party to help pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2008 2008 12 Pres nom
McCain, John 111 S R AZ 2010 2010 13 Leads successful fillibuster of attempt to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell
McCain, John 111 S R AZ 2010 2010 14 vs. SC decisions on Citizen United v. Federal Election Commission
McCain, John 112 S R AZ 2011 2013 15 Leading Senate voice for intervention in Syrian Civil War
McCain, John 114 S R AZ 2016 2016 16 Refused to support Trump nomination
McCain, John 115 S R AZ 2017 2017 17 Deciding vote against his party's attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I'm using Dr. Mayhew's criteria for Congressional "actions" to list McCain's consequential maneuvers during his political career. He has 17, which is among the most.: 

McCain, John 104 S R AZ 1995 1996 1 Co sponsors Line Item Veto Act
McCain, John 106 S R AZ 1999 1999 2 Took lead in pressing the use of NATO ground troops in Kosovo
McCain, John 106 S R AZ 2000 2000 3 pres candidate
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2001 2002 4 McCain-Feingold campaign reform
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2001 2001 5 Broke w/ party to vote against Bush tax cuts
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2002 2002 6 Co-wrote legislation to create 9-11 Commission
McCain, John 108 S R AZ 2003 2004 7 Critic of Bush admins handling of the Iraq War
McCain, John 108 S R AZ 2004 2004 8 Defends John Kerry's war record from other GOP Election 2004 attacks
McCain, John 109 S R AZ 2005 2005 9 Led Gang of 14 that preserved Senate filibuster on judicial nominations
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2007 2007 10 Leading Senator proponent of troop surge in Iraq
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2007 2007 11 Breaks w/ base of party to help pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2008 2008 12 Pres nom
McCain, John 111 S R AZ 2010 2010 13 Leads successful fillibuster of attempt to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell
McCain, John 111 S R AZ 2010 2010 14 vs. SC decisions on Citizen United v. Federal Election Commission
McCain, John 112 S R AZ 2011 2013 15 Leading Senate voice for intervention in Syrian Civil War
McCain, John 114 S R AZ 2016 2016 16 Refused to support Trump nomination
McCain, John 115 S R AZ 2017 2017 17 Deciding vote against his party's attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare

I think if McCain doesn't run in 2008, or rather doesn't end up the nominee, I'd put him as above average. His failed Presidential bid and subsequent actions because of it in his later years carries more weight on my decision than not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave him "above average" which is probably about as high as I can give a GOP Senator that is also  war hawk. His bipartisanship, opposition to Trump, and his stand for Obamacare, saved him from being average or below average for me. I might ultimately change my mind, since I consider the Iraq War a fiasco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm using Dr. Mayhew's criteria for Congressional "actions" to list McCain's consequential maneuvers during his political career. He has 17, which is among the most.: 

McCain, John 104 S R AZ 1995 1996 1 Co sponsors Line Item Veto Act
McCain, John 106 S R AZ 1999 1999 2 Took lead in pressing the use of NATO ground troops in Kosovo
McCain, John 106 S R AZ 2000 2000 3 pres candidate
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2001 2002 4 McCain-Feingold campaign reform
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2001 2001 5 Broke w/ party to vote against Bush tax cuts
McCain, John 107 S R AZ 2002 2002 6 Co-wrote legislation to create 9-11 Commission
McCain, John 108 S R AZ 2003 2004 7 Critic of Bush admins handling of the Iraq War
McCain, John 108 S R AZ 2004 2004 8 Defends John Kerry's war record from other GOP Election 2004 attacks
McCain, John 109 S R AZ 2005 2005 9 Led Gang of 14 that preserved Senate filibuster on judicial nominations
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2007 2007 10 Leading Senator proponent of troop surge in Iraq
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2007 2007 11 Breaks w/ base of party to help pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform
McCain, John 110 S R AZ 2008 2008 12 Pres nom
McCain, John 111 S R AZ 2010 2010 13 Leads successful fillibuster of attempt to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell
McCain, John 111 S R AZ 2010 2010 14 vs. SC decisions on Citizen United v. Federal Election Commission
McCain, John 112 S R AZ 2011 2013 15 Leading Senate voice for intervention in Syrian Civil War
McCain, John 114 S R AZ 2016 2016 16 Refused to support Trump nomination
McCain, John 115 S R AZ 2017 2017 17 Deciding vote against his party's attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare

It's hard to sum up his "quality" as one term. I mean, on one hand, he opposed such plutocratic power trips as the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy and the legalization of outright electoral and lobbying bribery, effectively - aka, Citizen's United - and, for all it's flaws, voted against repealing Obamacare while no viable and workable replacement (relatively speaking) was on the table. And he refused to endorse Trump, even after Ted Cruz and Paul Ryan and others capitulated. But, his legacy of also a blood-stained warmonger is difficult for me to easily balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patine said:

It's hard to sum up his "quality" as one term. I mean, on one hand, he opposed such plutocratic power trips as the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy and the legalization of outright electoral and lobbying bribery, effectively - aka, Citizen's United - and, for all it's flaws, voted against repealing Obamacare while no viable and workable replacement (relatively speaking) was on the table. And he refused to endorse Trump, even after Ted Cruz and Paul Ryan and others capitulated. But, his legacy of also a blood-stained warmonger is difficult for me to easily balance.

That's the same problem I have. He wasn't alone in his support for warmongering, but the best qualities of him were often individualistic or solitary among GOP Senators. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCain has 17 actions to Biden's 6.

Biden went about 16 years without doing anything of note. In truth Biden typically toed the party line or was a harmonizer, which isn't necessarily always bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

McCain has 17 actions to Biden's 6.

Biden went about 16 years without doing anything of note. In truth Biden typically toed the party line or was a harmonizer, which isn't necessarily always bad. 

More actions doesn't mean better.  A great deal of what congress does can be done without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pilight said:

More actions doesn't mean better.  A great deal of what congress does can be done without.

Less can often be more in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pilight said:

More actions doesn't mean better.  A great deal of what congress does can be done without.

I know. That's why I mention "which isn't necessarily always bad." Here's an example of someone with 10 actions, many of them bad.:

Gingrich, Newt 101 H R GA 1988 1989 1 Forces Speaker Jim Wright by leading ethics charges against him.
Gingrich, Newt 103 H R GA 1993 1993 2 Joins Pres. Clinton and leads the push of NAFTA through the House
Gingrich, Newt 103 H R GA 1994 1995 3 Leads Contract w/ America
Gingrich, Newt 104 H R GA 1995 1995 4 Becomes first GOP Speaker in ages
Gingrich, Newt 104 H R GA 1995 1996 5 Tangles w/ Pres. Clinton in two long government shutdowns that backfire on GOP
Gingrich, Newt 104 H R GA 1996 1996 6 Leads and negotiates GOP Welfare Reform; Clinton signs it
Gingrich, Newt 105 H R GA 1997 1998 8 Force Clinton to an agreement on Budget deal
Gingrich, Newt 105 H R GA 1997 1997 7 Reprimanded for ethics violation but keeps Speakership by narrow margin
Gingrich, Newt 105 H R GA 1998 1998 9 Resigns after admitting to a marital affair while leading an impeachment effort on Clinton's affair
Gingrich, Newt 105 H R GA 1998 1998 10 Leads inaugural stages of Impeachment effort, which backfire, and help cost him speakership

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I know. That's why I mention "which isn't necessarily always bad." Here's an example of someone with 10 actions, many of them bad.:

 

Gingrich, Newt 101 H R GA 1988 1989 1 Forces Speaker Jim Wright by leading ethics charges against him.
Gingrich, Newt 103 H R GA 1993 1993 2 Joins Pres. Clinton and leads the push of NAFTA through the House
Gingrich, Newt 103 H R GA 1994 1995 3 Leads Contract w/ America
Gingrich, Newt 104 H R GA 1995 1995 4 Becomes first GOP Speaker in ages
Gingrich, Newt 104 H R GA 1995 1996 5 Tangles w/ Pres. Clinton in two long government shutdowns that backfire on GOP
Gingrich, Newt 104 H R GA 1996 1996 6 Leads and negotiates GOP Welfare Reform; Clinton signs it
Gingrich, Newt 105 H R GA 1997 1998 8 Force Clinton to an agreement on Budget deal
Gingrich, Newt 105 H R GA 1997 1997 7 Reprimanded for ethics violation but keeps Speakership by narrow margin
Gingrich, Newt 105 H R GA 1998 1998 9 Resigns after admitting to a marital affair while leading an impeachment effort on Clinton's affair
Gingrich, Newt 105 H R GA 1998 1998 10 Leads inaugural stages of Impeachment effort, which backfire, and help cost him speakership

And his bizarre and wonky science-fiction novel series that's blatantly pushing a Social Conservative agenda (it's not just Progressives and Libertarians who push blatant political agendas through publishing science-fiction and fantasy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Patine said:

And his bizarre and wonky science-fiction novel series that's blatantly pushing a Social Conservative agenda (it's not just Progressives and Libertarians who push blatant political agendas through publishing science-fiction and fantasy).

Yeah. I’ll give Gingrich one thing. He has an authentic imagination. I remember Santorum chastised Gingrich in the 2012 debates as a guy who “likes ideas” as if the idea of ideas was something distasteful. I remember Santorum's face as he said it. He followed it back saying that ideas weren’t needed or something like that. Gingrich’s idea to allow the moon to petition to become a state was one of the crazier things, as he got the rules for statehood wrong and doing that would violate an international treaty. He also has a PhD in history. Somehow he didn’t know this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as far as I can see, McCain did possess great pragmatism; he knew where to draw the line. He might've had a chance at the Presidency if he hadn't picked Palin as his VP, given how unpopular she is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wiw said:

Well, as far as I can see, McCain did possess great pragmatism; he knew where to draw the line. He might've had a chance at the Presidency if he hadn't picked Palin as his VP, given how unpopular she is.

I think his coining, or fervently and enthusiastically getting behind, even if he wasn't the one who coined it, the "it was a mistake, but it's a mistake we have to finish, and finish together," about the Iraq War, sunk his chances significantly as well, as war fatigue was already very tangible by 2008. And the economic downturn during the election obviously hurt him far more than it did Obama - in fact, it seemed to help Obama, as, of course, people weren't yet blaming him for it inexplicably in a deluded display of uneducated very-short-term memory loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible Senator with a terrible record.  He's the very definition of big government RINO.  His voice in the Senate is definitely not missed.  Now, if we could just get Lindsey Graham out of there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...