270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Who Should Have Been President?

Who should have been President  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following candidates/potential candidates do you wish had been president during their political lifetimes? Check all that apply.

• John Jay
    • Henry Clay
    • Robert F. Kennedy
    • Ted Kennedy
    • Barry Goldwater
    • Ron Paul
    • Dennis Kucinich
    • Ted Cruz
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Hillary Clinton
    • William H. Seward
    • Robert La Follette
    • Strom Thurmond
    • Henry A. Wallace
    • Eugene V. Debs
    • Thomas E. Dewey
    • Nelson Rockefeller
    • John McCain
    • Mitt Romney
    • No one on this list
  2. 2. Continued...

• Jesse Jackson
    • Robert Taft
    • Estes Kefauver
    • Aaron Burr
    • Alexander Hamilton
    • Dewitt Clinton
    • John C. Calhoun
    • Daniel Webster
    • Winfield Scott
    • John C Fremont
    • George McClellan
    • Samuel J Tilden
    • James G Blaine
    • Charles Evans Hughes
    • Huey P Long
    • Chris Christie
    • Rand Paul
    • Jeb Bush
    • Marco Rubio
    • None on this list
  3. 3. Continued

• William Jennings Bryan
    • Al Smith
    • Wendell Wilkie
    • Adlai Stevenson II
    • Eugene McCarthy
    • Hubert Humphrey
    • Barbara Jordan
    • George McGovern
    • Pat Robertson
    • Pat Buchanan
    • David Duke
    • Vermin Supreme
    • Dan Quayle
    • Sarah Palin
    • Bob Dole
    • Ross Perot
    • Al Gore
    • John Kerry
    • Michele Bachmann
    • None from this list

I like this poll.  I will concede several of my answers overlap with each other, and it's hard to imagine a scenario where all of my choices became president without excluding other choices I made.

28 minutes ago, darkmoon72 said:

I like this poll.  I will concede several of my answers overlap with each other, and it's hard to imagine a scenario where all of my choices became president without excluding other choices I made.

Same for me. 

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Same for me. 

Same here, maybe a fun experiment when I get time today is to make a list of my perfect alternate Presidential history, that could be fun.

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Wasnt Ted Kennedy the one who killed his wife or something by driving into water while intoxicated and got away with it

Yeah, but they weren't married. I think just a fling. She worked for his brother RFK. The real kicker is if he just reported the accident in a timely manner she would have been alive. 

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

Yeah, but they weren't married. I think just a fling. She worked for his brother RFK. The real kicker is if he just reported the accident in a timely manner she would have been alive. 

I don't know if she would have lived. She was underwater. It was night time. There weren't cell phones. He would have had to run to someone's door and hoped they'd answer it and let him use the phone. Then the rescue team would have to arrive. Her best shot at living after the accident would have been if he rescued her. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I don't know if she would have lived. She was underwater. It was night time. There weren't cell phones. He would have had to run to someone's door and hoped they'd answer it and let him use the phone. Then the rescue team would have to arrive. Her best shot at living after the accident would have been if he rescued her. 

Yeah if he had tried to do anything at all she would have had a much better chance at living. I'm glad we're both in agreement on that.

3 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

I wish John B. Anderson was on this list, definitely would be my top pick for this question. 

Yeah, I ran out of spots. 

15 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Yeah if he had tried to do anything at all she would have had a much better chance at living. I'm glad we're both in agreement on that.

All of the Kennedy's are pieces of shit tbh

An honorable mention and write-in vote for Alf Landon.

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Any more so than your hero Trump? 

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Not John Kennedy in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

He had a lot of missteps during his Presidency, so a pretty eh President imo, and it doesn't help the circumstances are what they were. But at least as a person he seemed somewhat genuine.

9 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

He had a lot of missteps during his Presidency, so a pretty eh President imo, and it doesn't help the circumstances are what they were. But at least as a person he seemed somewhat genuine.

7 minutes ago, darkmoon72 said:

Nor RFK, in mine.

John Kennedy has never been President lol

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

JFK had his affairs, but he was likable. His worst trait was his sincere belief that Communism was a true threat to the world. Most scholars believe the threat of Communism was more propaganda than truth, and that Truman, Eisenhower, Nixon, LBJ made use of this for geopolitical posturing, while JFK really thought there was a chance that Communism could succeed in it's goal for global dominance. JFK was the only that actually amped up involvement against Communist countries. Really, he should get as much blame for Vietnam as LBJ. I think JFK was a good president, but I think the idea of JFK as well as his unfulfilled Domestic policies (fulfilled by LBJ) are the reasons he's a top 15 president. Gore Vidal, a friend of JFK, actually thought JFK would have ultimately been seen as a bad president if he had lived. Vietnam War would have still occurred. He would have likely failed in much of the Great Society where LBJ succeeded. Gore Vidal really liked JFK as a person, and he hated RFK, who he viewed as a party pooper. JFK would take breaks to relax and joke around; RFK never did. 

RFK had a cop mentality, which made him unlikable if you weren't working with him, but he was much more moral. Probably had no affairs and didn't personally kill anyone. He was ruthless to other politicians but extremely kind and sincere to the voting public. He also had a stronger work ethic than his brothers. He would have probably been similar to Carter as president. Micromanaging everything, getting in divisive scuffles with politicians even in his own party, but been a moral voice for the people. I think RFK would have been more successful than Carter, but there would be some similarities in how functional his administration would have been after a few years. RFK did no Washington and how legislation worked better than Carter. 

Ted Kennedy killed someone and had affairs, so he's the worst of them, but he was a natural senate leader. He might have been a good president, but I don't think he had the originality of mind to really be a great president. At best, he would have been as successful as Bill Clinton--good presidency with no major achievements (except arguably NAFTA for Clinton, but he was just finishing what Bush I started). Ted Kennedy like the camaraderie of the Senate, something RFK and JFK didn't really care for. He liked the politicians, JFK liked the media and celebrities, RFK liked underdogs. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

JFK had his affairs, but he was likable

I wasnt talking about JFK. Though he's the only one I like.

22 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I wasnt talking about JFK. Though he's the only one I like.

Oh ok, the Louisiana Senator. I don't know that much about that Kennedy, although I certainly disagree with his political views I'm sure. 

To avoid confusion I tend to call the Louisiana Senator always John Neely Kennedy and the President John F. Kennedy or JFK. When I first heard of Jack Kennedy I didn't know they talked about JFK. This was confusing.

51 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Any more so than your hero Trump? 

Much more so. Trump might not have the best policies but he's a better person than any Kennedy that I know of.

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Much more so. Trump might not have the best policies but he's a better person than any Kennedy that I know of.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Wasnt Ted Kennedy the one who killed his wife or something by driving into water while intoxicated and got away with it

Most high-level politicians get away with serious crimes. The ones who get elected get away with FAR worse. The motto on the U.S. Supreme Court building "and Justice for All" is a taunting, vicious, and sadistic lie in the United States...

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

An honorable mention and write-in vote for Alf Landon.

He was a bad case of running at the wrong time...