Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

How Socially Liberal are You?

How Socially Liberal Are You Poll  

24 members have voted

  1. 1. How Socially Liberal Are You? [Note: By government, I mean Federal government. I also include some civil liberties in here, like guns. This is a social liberal issue, even if liberals don't support this one socially liberal idea.]]

    • The government should intervene to make education as universal and affordable as possible nationwide.
    • The government should intervene to make healthcare as universal and affordable as possible nationwide.
    • The government should intervene for its poorest citizens by subsidizing housing, food assistance, childcare assistance, education, health, cash assistance, etc. (i.e. Welfare) nationwide.
    • The government should intervene to limit income gap-inequality nationwide.
    • The government should intervene to ensure, protect, and expand voting rights for minorities nationwide.
    • The government should intervene to enforce and expand upon anti-discrimination in employment and education, including in the application process. (Includes Affirmative Action)
    • The government should intervene to protect and enforce a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body. (i.e. abortion or contraceptives)
    • The government should intervene to ensure that all people are paid equally for the same type of work regardless of race, gender, gender identity, disability, age, etc.
    • The government should intervene to ensure, protect, and expand upon laws regarding equal rights and protections for lesbians, bisexuals, gays, transgendered , queer, intersex, asexual, sapiosexual, etc.
    • The government should intervene to ensure, protect, and expand upon the human rights of immigrants, including treating them with respect and dignity as they seek a pathway towards citizenship or a work VISA.
    • The government should promote and encourage immigration from all people so long as they are law-abiding well-intentioned, regardless of race, creed, or ability.
    • The government should intervene to ensure and expand upon laws protecting the consumer and/or individuals against corporations (includes regulations).
    • The government should intervene to ensure, protect, and expand upon the rights of working American's nationwide. (The rights generally sought by labor unions and labor activists)
    • The government should intervene to ensure, protect, and expand upon environmental laws and regulations designed for the health and survival of Earth's inhabitants.
    • The government should intervene to legalize or decriminalize the ownership of marijuana and other soft drugs that are no less or as dangerous than alcohol.
    • The government should keep tobacco, alcohol, gun ownership, pornography, and prostitution legal, and intervene if states attempt to make these illegal.
    • The government should intervene to legalize or decriminalize the ownership of hard drugs, those often more dangerous than alcohol.
    • The government should intervene to legalize or decriminalize or keep legal the ownership of military grade weaponry and ammunition designed for battlefield use.
    • The government should intervene to make the country more democratic, by abolishing the electoral college, redistricting gerrymandered districts, using initiative, recall, and referendum on legislation, etc.
    • I do not support Federal Government involvement in any of the above to enforce civil or social liberalism.
      0
  2. 2. Which of the following as a positive connotation for you?

    • Progressive
    • Liberal
    • The Establishment
    • Wall Street
    • Democracy
    • Nationalism
    • Patriotism
    • Centrist
    • Moderate
    • Conservative
    • Traditionalist
    • Intellectual
    • Anti-intellectual
      0
    • Populism
    • Libertarianism
    • Democratic Socialism
    • Communism or non-Democratic Socialism
    • Fascism or National Socialism or Corporatism
    • Anarchism
    • None of the above have a positive connotation for me.
      0
  3. 3. Which of the following statements are mostly true for you?

    • I'm socially liberal primarily because I believe in human rights and equality, and I trust the state governments less than I trust the federal government in enforcing these rights nationwide.
    • I'm socially liberal primarily because I find social conservatives either racist, ignorant, selfish, backward, or otherwise repellent, even if I don't always side with my fellow social liberals.
    • I'm a centrist/moderate primarily because the country is so partisan, the fringes so vocal, and the proposed legislation often more ceremonial or attention grabbing than practical. A country as diverse as we are should be bipartisan and accept that the center should rule.
    • I'm a social conservative primarily because I think foreign values are diluting the purity of our American values. These American values are best protected by keeping the federal government out.
    • I am socially conservative primarily because I believe in civil liberties and the right to discriminate, the right to keep my earnings free of taxation, the right to profit, the right to run my business and my life the way I see fit.
    • I am socially conservative primarily because of my religious upbringing.
    • I am socially conservative primarily because my parents are or primarily because the community where I was raised was.
      0
    • I am socially liberal primarily because my parents are or primarily because the community where I was raised was.
      0
    • I share the same social political views as most of my family.
    • I share the same social political views as most of my current community.
    • I have had the same social political views for at least the last five years.
    • I would not be surprised if my social political views changed drastically in the next 10 years or so.
    • I read social political material and news that contradicts my own opinions so that I can learn alternative view points?
    • I am prone to mimicking the social political views of political figures I admire, such as Bernie Sanders, Ron Paul, Donald Trump, Elizabeth Warren, Ted Cruz, etc.
    • My social political views are formed primarily through experience, contemplation, and research rather than through the words of an individual such as Sanders, Paul, Trump, Warren, Cruz, etc.
    • I believe I would have the views I have today even if my parents, residence, community, income, gender, sexual orientation, education, etc. had been vastly different.
    • I believe in the separation of Church and State, and the First Amendments statement against the establishment of a national religion.
    • I believe that any violation of the separation of Church and State, be it the overt influence of the Religious Right, "In God We Trust" on coins, "So help me God"'s use in the oath of office, are probably unconstitutional.
    • The country would be stronger, more advanced, and more beneficial to the human race if both major parties were socially liberal rather than if both parties were socially conservative.
    • None of these apply to me.
      0


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Imagine being such an America-hating cuck that you view the word 'patriotism' negatively.

I have no faults with the definition of patriotism but I do get a negative connotation when I hear the word because it’s often tied to nationalism, which I oppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, darkmoon72 said:

I myself prefer "social democracy" over "democratic socialism" and wished the phrase was included in this poll.

Some may see this as mere semantics or even window dressing, but I see the two as having very distinct and important differences. 

I'm happy to elaborate on the differences if needed, but I think the below article sums it up fairly well.

https://jacobinmag.com/2018/08/democratic-socialism-social-democracy-nordic-countries

Can you give me the short version of the differences? I just had eye surgery and can’t read things that are that long right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Patriot (noun)
pā-trē-ət

Definition: one who loves and supports his or her country

Merriam-Webster

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriot

As I have tried to elaborate to @admin_270 and @Actinguy,recently on another word - Socialism, I believe - Merriam-Webster is notorious for sloppy and lazy definitions that ignore a lot of needed research and context to make truly accurate and concise definitions - especially on contentious socio-political and economic labels. Some of these definitions are even downright "watered down" or "phoned in." Also, the very concept of "loving and supporting," and "being loyal" to, specifically the United States, has been a source of ruthless manipulation by McCarthyists, war-mongers, big corporate lobbies, and faux "Christians," who promote a narrow-minded, artificial, intolerant, and growingly totalitarian view of what they SAY is the ONLY appropriate view of "American values" and the "American nation," and all alternative are "un-American" (a word very much, in tenor, much like Counter-Revolutionary in the First French Republic, Antisocial in the USSR, Anharmonious in the PRC, various labels of Pogrom targets in Nazi Germany prior to the Pogrom, or Anti-Coup that Erdogan was using recently in Turkey - an empty label to slander and attack political opponents without substance and present them as "disloyal" to the cause with no evidence).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

As I have tried to elaborate to @admin_270 and @Actinguy,recently on another word - Socialism, I believe - Merriam-Webster is notorious for sloppy and lazy definitions that ignore a lot of needed research and context to make truly accurate and concise definitions - especially on contentious socio-political and economic labels. Some of these definitions are even downright "watered down" or "phoned in." Also, the very concept of "loving and supporting," and "being loyal" to, specifically the United States, has been a source of ruthless manipulation by McCarthyists, war-mongers, big corporate lobbies, and faux "Christians," who promote a narrow-minded, artificial, intolerant, and growingly totalitarian view of what they SAY is the ONLY appropriate view of "American values" and the "American nation," and all alternative are "un-American" (a word very much, in tenor, much like Counter-Revolutionary in the First French Republic, Antisocial in the USSR, Anharmonious in the PRC, various labels of Pogrom targets in Nazi Germany prior to the Pogrom, or Anti-Coup that Erdogan was using recently in Turkey - an empty label to slander and attack political opponents without substance and present them as "disloyal" to the cause with no evidence).

He JUST told you that he can’t read long things right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Can you give me the short version of the differences? I just had eye surgery and can’t read things that are that long right now. 

Sure thing.  I define "social democracy" as "capitalism with a robust welfare state, in a country with strong democratic institutions".  The article cites Norway as an example, but I'd lump in just about all of Scandinavia, most of Western Europe and Canada in there too.  There are a larger amount of state-run businesses and sectors of the economy than exist in, say, the US, and a much stronger safety net to boot, but overall there is still a strong free enterprise system that exists.  Ideally, I'd like to see the US resemble these countries.

"Democratic socialism", on the other hand, I would define as "a mostly centrally-planned economy, with some democratic institutions, but limited to no free enterprise".  Here, most of the labor force is employed by the state, and nationalizing privately-owned companies is much more common.  Cuba is the most prominent example that comes to mind, although I think a strong argument can be made that Chavez's Venezuela also fits the description.

The difference can also be seen in the wording - in social democracy, democracy is the subject, and social[ism] is the adjective used to describe it.  Overall, democracy is of paramount importance, even if socialism sometimes has to take a back seat to it.  In democratic socialism, socialism is the subject, and democratic is the adjective used to describe it.  Overall, socialism is of paramount importance, even if democracy sometimes has to take a back seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, darkmoon72 said:

Sure thing.  I define "social democracy" as "capitalism with a robust welfare state, in a country with strong democratic institutions".  The article cites Norway as an example, but I'd lump in just about all of Scandinavia, most of Western Europe and Canada in there too.  There are a larger amount of state-run businesses and sectors of the economy than exist in, say, the US, and a much stronger safety net to boot, but overall there is still a strong free enterprise system that exists.  Ideally, I'd like to see the US resemble these countries.

"Democratic socialism", on the other hand, I would define as "a mostly centrally-planned economy, with some democratic institutions, but limited to no free enterprise".  Here, most of the labor force is employed by the state, and nationalizing privately-owned companies is much more common.  Cuba is the most prominent example that comes to mind, although I think a strong argument can be made that Chavez's Venezuela also fits the description.

The difference can also be seen in the wording - in social democracy, democracy is the subject, and social[ism] is the adjective used to describe it.  Overall, democracy is of paramount importance, even if socialism sometimes has to take a back seat to it.  In democratic socialism, socialism is the subject, and democratic is the adjective used to describe it.  Overall, socialism is of paramount importance, even if democracy sometimes has to take a back seat.

Based off your definition, I'm definitely a Social Democrat rather than a Democratic Socialist. I assumed the two were interchangeable until now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

He JUST told you that he can’t read long things right now.

Sorry, what? Who told me this? What are you referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patine said:

Sorry, what? Who told me this? What are you referring to?

 

40 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Can you give me the short version of the differences? I just had eye surgery and can’t read things that are that long right now. 

EDIT - My fault, he was talking to someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

He JUST told you that he can’t read long things right now.

@Patine was responding to @ThePotatoWalrus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

Yep, my fault.  I saw VCczar asking for a definition and then Patine ranting against a dictionary again.

But you’re right, they were indeed two different conversations.

A well-published dictionary is reliable for about 85-90% of words as written, in most given cases. But not 100% in all cases. Like everything else of this world, it has flaws and limits, and knowing them is a benefit, not a liability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I have no faults with the definition of patriotism but I do get a negative connotation when I hear the word because it’s often tied to nationalism, which I oppose.

I completely understand.  I did answer positively on the patriotism connotation, but not the nationalism one.  For example, when I was much younger, I protested against the Iraq War.  I saw such protests as patriotic, and still do - I loved, and still love, the US, and didn't want to see it get mired in Vietnam 2.0, nor did I want to see our men and women in uniform get killed, injured or traumatized, or our tax dollars wasted on a military adventure that made no sense to me.

But I distinctly remember the right co-opting the word "patriotism" and trying very hard to make it their own, as if only Iraq War supporters were the true patriots and everyone else was committing treason.  I even remember some of the stomach-churning portrayals of the opposing sides in our (supposedly liberal) mainstream media.  Even CNN and MSNBC jumped on board the "War = good Americans, anti-war = bad Americans" bandwagon.

It's a bit like how I view the words liberal vs. progressive.  I know in most English-speaking countries, "liberal" means more "free markets, free people", more akin to libertarianism (or Jeffersonian "classical liberalism") in the US.  Canada's Liberal Party is relatively centrist, as are the Liberal Democrats in the UK, and in Australia the Liberal Party is actually the center-right party.  "Progressive" means more "government intervention to keep big businesses from running amok", and would be better exemplified by Canada's NDP, the UK's Labour Party and Australia's Labor Party.

In the US, however, the two words are essentially synonyms, and often times progressive is used as the "safer" word by people on the left here (especially in the last decade or so), since the right successfully branded liberal as a dirty word several decades ago.  There's a connotation that is a bit different from the dictionary definition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sapiosexual is not an actual sexuality and should not be included as part of the LGBTQ+ community. I know somebody just "came out" as sapiosexual, but it's not an actual sexuality. All it means is that you're attracted to intelligence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised how many of these I said yes to — though I strongly oppose legalization of illegal drugs (including marijuana) and battlefield weapons.  I also support the end of gerrymandering, but not the end of the electoral college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I was surprised how many of these I said yes to — though I strongly oppose legalization of illegal drugs (including marijuana) and battlefield weapons.  I also support the end of gerrymandering, but not the end of the electoral college.

Marijuana remaining on the black market and with draconian law enforcement/correctional activities is one of those things that aren't remotely worth it. Though indeed battlefield weapons, crack cocaine, methamphetines, and opiates are a VERY different issue, entirely, marijuana is far better legal, regulated, and taxed than the alternative. Same with prostitution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vcczar said:

A non-racist social conservative like @Reagan04 could support the ban and the wall for reasons other than “keep out those different from us” (I.e strictly for security and safety) and condemn Trump’s comme

I oppose the wall though as well as the ban, its a racist symbol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I oppose the wall though as well as the ban, its a racist symbol.

Amen, brother.

And an expensive, ineffective one at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jnewt said:

Sapiosexual is not an actual sexuality and should not be included as part of the LGBTQ+ community. I know somebody just "came out" as sapiosexual, but it's not an actual sexuality. All it means is that you're attracted to intelligence.

It also wasn’t an actual coming out.  He literally heard about it 3 minutes before his interview and said “oh, that sounds like me”.

But he was referring to the “I am attracted to intelligent people” part, which is hardly rare.

It was not clear at all that he was referring to the “I prefer intelligence over the existence of the genitalia(s) of my choice” aspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I oppose the wall though as well as the ban, its a racist symbol.

I didn't know what your stances on these were, I was just using you as an example of a social conservative that isn't racist. Glad to know your stance on this and the reason for the stance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I didn't know what your stances on these were, I was just using you as an example of a social conservative that isn't racist. Glad to know your stance on this and the reason for the stance. 

Reagan believed in tearing down walls.

Trump wants to build them.

Reagan called America the last best hope for all people all over the world, a shining beacon of freedom and a city on a hill.

Trump views us as a broken has been overrun with the browns that needs to be "made great again".

Nuff said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, victorraiders said:

why are racist symbol? ??

 

See above, Trump disgraces everything about Reagan's legacy, including our outreach to minority voters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

See above, Trump disgraces everything about Reagan's legacy, including our outreach to minority voters.

And then claims him as his great hero and Presidential role model, and compares himself to him (along with Andrew Jackson).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

See above, Trump disgraces everything about Reagan's legacy, including our outreach to minority voters.

well i have different vision on this but this are two different things/times, amnesty turned california into bluestate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...