Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

Thoughts on the 3rd debate

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Only Patine would spend his day arguing with a dictionary.

It seems concise and proper usage of terms, rather than sloppy, counter-productive, and uneducated usages of them, offends you to be brought up as a valid point at all. That is an unfortunate state of affairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

It seems concise and proper usage of terms, rather than sloppy, counter-productive, and uneducated usages of them, offends you to be brought up as a valid point at all. That is an unfortunate state of affairs.

Offended?  Not at all.  I am impressed, rather, by your ability to find offense in everything — even dictionary definitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Offended?  Not at all.  I am impressed, rather, by your ability to find offense in everything — even dictionary definitions.

I'm not offended. Just pointing out how certain usages of certain terms is counter-productive to an educated debate on matters, and sabotages any concise and accurate rhetoric. But it seems many people have gotten so used to sounding like fools when they speak that they get defensive when called on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Patine said:

I'm not offended. Just pointing out how certain usages of certain terms is counter-productive to an educated debate on matters, and sabotages any concise and accurate rhetoric. But it seems many people have gotten so used to sounding like fools when they speak that they get defensive when called on it.

You don't sound like a fool when you're using your audience's agreed upon definitions, which is what a dictionary represents.

You only sound like a fool when you're being pedantic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Actinguy said:

You don't sound like a fool when you're using your audience's agreed upon definitions, which is what a dictionary represents.

You only sound like a fool when you're being pedantic.

Fine, show the shallow and uninsightful FAITH thinking of believing that a specific dictionary definition is ALWAYS a correct and accurate usage in all contexts and under all circumstances, and dictionaries are universally infallible and never need to be checked under any circumstances for context or their original source of definition they. However, since you've show what you have faith in and support for to be highly suspect in a few cases as is - like believing George W. Bush, the greatest war criminal thus far in the 21st Century who delivered the greatest assault on the U.S. Constitution in a single legislative package (the (un)Patriot Act) using emotional manipulation of the most opportunistic kind immediately following the 9/11 attack, to be a great hero - your faith and insight about things are obviously subject to gross distortion, as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...