270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Two Questions: What if a Landslide Occurs?

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

What, prey tell, are you too going on about?

Reddit. The frontpage of the internet. 

20 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Reddit. The frontpage of the internet. 

I've never been on that site. Not once.

14 hours ago, vcczar said:

Here are two questions for you (w/ some subquestions):

1. What happens to the Democratic Party if Trump wins in a landslide in 2020? How will the party have to change? What will the Democratic party of the 2030s be like? Any other thoughts on this topic? 
  2. Same question but for the Republican Party. What happens if Trump and the Republicans lose in a landslide in 2020? How will the party have to change? What will the GOP of the 2030s be like? What happens with Trump's base? Any other thoughts on this topic? 

1.  Look what happened after 2004.

2.  Look what happened after 2008/12.

9 hours ago, Patine said:

It's not a bad site- if you ignore the bad parts.  You might actually love it. It has communities that range from people sharing pet pictures to historians sharing their knowledge on obscure subjects to people sharing music. 

11 hours ago, Patine said:

2 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

It's not a bad site- if you ignore the bad parts.  You might actually love it. It has communities that range from people sharing pet pictures to historians sharing their knowledge on obscure subjects to people sharing music. 

I've been on Reddit twice, much to my regret. You have to read about 30 comments for anything remotely helpful or informative. It's sort of what I think the country would be like if anyone could have any profession without degrees, education, or experience. You want to be a brain surgeon? Say you're a brain surgeon. You are now a brain surgeon. Your patience, equally non-caring about your degrees, education, or experience--in fact, quite favorable of this--flock to your new whimsical profession. They all leave your office--made mostly of cardboard and filled with all sorts of plastic silverwear/surgical tools from Taco Bell--completely mentally handicapped. 

I think the country is too polarized for a landslide, at least if we're talking about something in the realm of 400+ electoral votes. It would require states that went for one candidate by at least 10-15% in 2016 voting the other way in 2020, and I just don't see that happening. The only Hillary states that Trump could realistically win are probably Minnesota and Nevada, and whoever the Democrats nominate doesn't have that many obvious targets beyond the MI/PA/WI trifecta and then probably NC, AZ, and maybe GA, TX, and FL. I'm not optimistic about Iowa or Ohio returning the D column in the near future.

I mean, here's what I get if I "gray out" every state that I can conceivably imagine flippping on 270towin.com. It still starts with the Democrat at 183 and Trump at 125.

3olz6.png