270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SilentLiberty

Banning Flavored Vaping Products Poll

Banning Flavored Vaping Products Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support banning flavored vaping products?

2. 2. Would you support banning tobacco products?

3. 3. Would you support banning alcoholic beverages?

Trump is banning flavored vaping products, because it's killed six people and Melania Trump is worried about Barron. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/11/melania-trump-donald-trump-vaping-1727048

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

Trump is banning flavored vaping products, because it's killed six people and Melania Trump is worried about Barron. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/11/melania-trump-donald-trump-vaping-1727048

I am all for banning all three in principal, at least. But practically speaking, prohibition made Al Capone rich, and gave his self-perceived casus belli for his huge body count, and led to him dropping a tonne of money to corrupt the whole Chicago city government - mayor, council, local courts, police, even fire and sanitation departments, to effectively work for him (which is why Elliott Ness and the FBI were called in in the first place).

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I am all for banning all three in principal, at least. But practically speaking, prohibition made Al Capone rich, and gave his self-perceived casus belli for his huge body count, and led to him dropping a tonne of money to corrupt the whole Chicago city government - mayor, council, local courts, police, even fire and sanitation departments, to effectively work for him (which is why Elliott Ness and the FBI were called in in the first place).

I personally think that the individual should have their own choice. I also believe 100% that situations similar to Capone are still very much happening with the illegal drugs of today. It's just easier to 'glamorize' or 'expose' the past. 

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

I personally think that the individual should have their own choice. I also believe 100% that situations similar to Capone are still very much happening with the illegal drugs of today. It's just easier to 'glamorize' or 'expose' the past. 

Perhaps if advertising and product honesty standards were rigidly enforced on vice products, like they are moreso in Canada.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Perhaps if advertising and product honesty standards were rigidly enforced on vice products, like they are moreso in Canada.

Yeah, something like that would be a lot better in my opinion. The people who are going to seek those things out, typically don't need it advertised to them all that much anyway. 

I actually support challenging the vape industry because it IS impacting young people, and flavored products are one of those tactics. HOWEVER, I don't support banning these products because I think all drugs should be legalized, decriminalized (including retroactively decriminalized,) and regulated.

10 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

This is more of a black market THC carts issue if you look into it. These are incredibly popular in states where weed is illegal, as THC carts as incredibly discrete even if not all that cost effective. They leave almost no smell and can be activated like a normal vape. However, there have been significant issues where these carts have been filled with pesticides and substances that are unknown to the user. I am likely to strongly discourage friends of mine who use them frequently to switch over to actual weed, however indiscrete it may be. 

They should be regulated and the companies that make them and sell them regulated, just like guns, food industry, pharmaceutical industries  and other potentially hazardous things are regulated.

I also think it's odd that people are more inclined to ban e-cigs than the most dangerous guns. You got 6 deaths vs tens of thousands 

Not only should they not be banned but the federal government should get out of those issues.  Let states make the drinking age 18 if they chose (which should happen).  If states want the smoking age to stay at 18 (where it should be), then they should be allowed to keep it there.

27 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Not only should they not be banned but the federal government should get out of those issues.  Let states make the drinking age 18 if they chose (which should happen).  If states want the smoking age to stay at 18 (where it should be), then they should be allowed to keep it there.

What about the blatant deceptive advertising on the vaping packages? Although I've never used the products once, I've read their ads and on-package claims, and they're blatant and utter lies of the sort.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

What about the blatant deceptive advertising on the vaping packages? Although I've never used the products once, I've read their ads and on-package claims, and they're blatant and utter lies of the sort.

Idk what you mean. Whenever I buy a pack I always see that stupid surgeon general's warning trash on it that ruins the aesthetic.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Idk what you mean. Whenever I buy a pack I always see that stupid surgeon general's warning trash on it that ruins the aesthetic.

Smoking as an aesthetic is where we are at now? 

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

Norma Jean Mortensen said she never smoked once, nor was seriously tempted, until she was pressured - and virtually ordered by her new promoter - to adopt the habit for aesthetic reason when she adopted the show persona of Marilyn Monroe.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Norma Jean Mortensen said she never smoked once, nor was seriously tempted, until she was pressured - and virtually ordered by her new promoter - to adopt the habit for aesthetic reason when she adopted the show persona of Marilyn Monroe.

I didn't know who Norma Jean Mortensen was until now. So you got me there in compared to Reddit. 

14 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I didn't know who Norma Jean Mortensen was until now. So you got me there in compared to Reddit. 

Well, technically, you DID know who was - you just knew her by a different name.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, technically, you DID know who was - you just knew her by a different name.

Yes, but I still learned something. 

16 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

Yeah. Vaping and juuling is gay as hell though. I don't smoke like I used to bc im trying to save money but $8-$12 cigars are my go to when I'm chilling.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:59 PM, Patine said:

What specifically are you referring to?  If you can prove deception, then there would be a case for fraud.

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

What specifically are you referring to?  If you can prove deception, then there would be a case for fraud.

A package I looked at in a convenience store for the "JUUL" brand claimed it was "as satisfying as smoking, but without the health risk," which is, in the latter part of the statement, a complete and shameless lie.

Was anyone else thoroughly confused by the term "e-cigarettes" when it first emerged? I'm used to thinking of the "e-" prefix as indicating an online/virtual, non-real version of something, e.g. making fun of somebody who engages in online macho posturing as an "e-tough guy." So when I first heard it, I think on an airplane when the flight crew announced that they weren't allowed, I thought to myself, "What the hell is the point of a pretend online cigarette?"

On 9/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, jvikings1 said:

This is one of those issues where progressives and libertarians can come together against authoritarianism from both sides 

1 hour ago, Dr. Insano said:

This is one of those issues where progressives and libertarians can come together against authoritarianism from both sides 

True.  It's one of those issues where the Establishments in both parties are in total agreement and it's the wings on the left (of the Democrats) and right (of the Republicans) that agree in opposition.