A More Perfect Union (3rd Playthrough)

UK: Henry Clay @Herbert Hoover

Fra: John Eager Howard @Herbert Hoover

Esp: James Garrard @Hestia11

Ger: Thomas Kirker @Hestia11

Rus: Edmund Randolph

Once again a bipartisan solution.

3 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Ok.  I'll wait to see my ambassadors before I finalize my inauguration goals, then.

12 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Inaugural goals:

1)  Allow any white person of good moral standing to immigrate

2) Expand immigration laws beyond white people of high standing

3) Improve our relationship with England

4) Establish minimal revenue import tariff

@Herbert Hoover

1 hour ago, Herbert Hoover said:

These are great! I'll update them and roll for lingering effects and scripted and random events when I get back from the cardiologist. 

Fun! I’m off to the gastroenterologist myself.

Arent our bodies just full of excitement?

Have a great time!

;c)

57 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Fun! I’m off to the gastroenterologist myself.

Arent our bodies just full of excitement?

Have a great time!

;c)

So much fun, you know it! 

Lingering effects are less fun. In fact, it seems as though the only changes we have are -1 rev/spending for Spanish Scrip and our panic escalated into a Great Recession!

We must bid our farewell to @Reagan04's 

We hit on one scripted event, we may bribe France for Florida! Will you buy Florida, President Jackson? @Actinguy

We also roll for two general events. These are:

Business Speculation! The economy is more likely to go south than it is to improve. Not sure exactly what this entails @vcczar

Ambitious Judge! The judge with the bighest executive ability can run for president in the next election. This is Associate Justice Nathaniel Mitchell. 

@Actinguy

I remember something about the economy tending to spiral if you don't process it right. Does the -10 for revenue only come into effect next term or how does that work exactly? Do I process party support changes now or later?

1 hour ago, Herbert Hoover said:

@Actinguy

I remember something about the economy tending to spiral if you don't process it right. Does the -10 for revenue only come into effect next term or how does that work exactly? Do I process party support changes now or later?

I just came out of anesthesia so I’d defer to @vcczar haha.  But I believe you would mark the R/S as -23...but not actually process the impact of that until the next lingering phase.

Party support I think should be Federalists +1 (-3 incumbent for panic, but +1 for domestic stability, so overall that’s a -2 to incumbent and thus a total +1 for Federalists).

18 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I just came out of anesthesia so I’d defer to @vcczar haha.  But I believe you would mark the R/S as -23...but not actually process the impact of that until the next lingering phase.

Yeah, I think this is what you had suggested as a rule change, and I agreed that it should be a change. What's funny is that I was mostly afraid that it would be too easy to have a strong economy. It may be possible that it ends up being easier later as taxation and such becomes a norm. For now, you basically have to rely on a tariff and luck. 

2 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

So much fun, you know it! 

Lingering effects are less fun. In fact, it seems as though the only changes we have are -1 rev/spending for Spanish Scrip and our panic escalated into a Great Recession!

We must bid our farewell to @Reagan04's 

Don't leave us hanging, @Herbert Hoover!  Reagan's who?  ;c)

2 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

We hit on one scripted event, we may bribe France for Florida! Will you buy Florida, President Jackson? @Actinguy

Yeah, right.  Only a 10% chance of it going in his favor...and even if it succeeds, he can still be impeached?  Having reached the White House by deposing the previous President himself, President Jackson knows a trap when he sees one.  We will not Bribe France for Florida.

Once the ambassadors are up to date in the executive tab, I'll decide who will go on the diplomatic mission to improve relations overseas.

57 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Once the ambassadors are up to date in the executive tab, I'll decide who will go on the diplomatic mission to improve relations overseas.

I guess it will be Henry Clay.

@Herbert Hoover please pause on GMing. I’m going to edit the events and add something to the statesmen tab. Scoring is going to be simplified which will help GM the game. More later. 

28 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I guess it will be Henry Clay.

If I do the UK, yes.  I just want to see the ability level for each ambassador before I decide which country to go to.

58 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Herbert Hoover please pause on GMing. I’m going to edit the events and add something to the statesmen tab. Scoring is going to be simplified which will help GM the game. More later. 

Sounds good. 

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

@Herbert Hoover who was the random death?

and also, who replaced Rufus King since he couldn't take the Senate seat. 

@Actinguy You also need to appoint another Focus Gen to replace Horatio Gates

Ok, so this is what I need for us to continue the game @Herbert Hoover and @Actinguy

I need to know:

• Who has House Control?
  • Who is the Speaker and H Min Leader
  • Who are the Focus Govs
  • Who is replacing Rufus King as a Focus Sen
  • WHo is the Sen Maj and Sen Min leaders
  • Who replaced Horatio Gates as a Focus Mil
  • Who are the Party Leaders?
  • Then @Conservative Elector 2 will have to fill in the Senators. 

I'll explain the new scoring rules once I get all this information. Thanks!

56 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok, so this is what I need for us to continue the game @Herbert Hoover and @Actinguy

I need to know:

• Who has House Control?
  • Who is the Speaker and H Min Leader
  • Who are the Focus Govs
  • Who is replacing Rufus King as a Focus Sen
  • WHo is the Sen Maj and Sen Min leaders
  • Who replaced Horatio Gates as a Focus Mil
  • Who are the Party Leaders?
  • Then @Conservative Elector 2 will have to fill in the Senators. 

I'll explain the new scoring rules once I get all this information. Thanks!

1. JRs

2-6 in on the legislative tab. 

7. We might not actually have a focus general. We repealed the standing army and we should only have commanding general Greene now.

8. Legislative tab. 

There are a lot of names to to type out, but we've kept the legislative tab kept on top of. 

Also, the random death is Samuel Chase @Reagan04. My phone was having a lot of difficulty letting me type that 😛

MAJOR RULE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!

@Actinguy @Herbert Hoover @SilentLiberty @Kingthero @WVProgressive @Reagan04 @Hestia11 @Conservative Elector 2

I've made a change that should make GMing this much more bearable, especially as everyone's schedules seem to be getting bigger. This will also greatly reduce burnout. The PC version will keep the complexities, but this simplification will definitely help the Forum game. Here are thing things to know:

• Rather than the scoring being statesman specific, the scoring is now based off proposer, party, ideology, and sometimes on the administration, using impact points. That is, the proposer will get the impact points of an issue/event. Additionally to the proposer getting points, points or won/lost based on whether or not the issue/event is partisan, ideological, or administration specific. That is, a protective tariff will award every Fed/Whig/Rep player the impact points. That is, major progressive reform will award the "Prog-Lib" players (marked so in the main tab) the impact points. That is, anything marked "President's Party" will give the president's party the impact points. This will ultimately save hours or days of time in calculating every politician. Traits, offices, and regions are no longer used in the forum game, but I will likely re-implement them for the sake of proposing certain issues/events. 
  • Another new thing is influence. One does not gain points upon taking office, but a statesman now gains influence. See the new red column in the Statesman tab. Influence will now be important in determining Senate Leaders, Senate appt/elections, Party Leaders, and the provide a bonus in primaries and Conventions. Influence turns into points on the death or retirement of the politician. 
  • I shaved off the last number of the scores since the scores are going to be lower each round. This way there's a change people can catch up. 
  • If you go on the Rules tab, you'll notice that the right hand column now has the new additional rules in place of examples of the current rules. 
  • I've only updated the issues/event through 1804 election year. I'll update more later. 

Therefore, scoring should be much easier since simplified. What will also help is that I will be scoring the influence points upon calculating retirements. Influence will need to be added in the statesman tab upon politicians attaining offices. These scores are in the Scoring tab. I think @Conservative Elector 2 can handle this since he's the historian. If he's busy, he can delegate it to @Reagan04 or vice versa. Just make sure you know which of you is doing the calculating so there isn't any duplication. 

Overall, this should greatly reduce the wear and tear of GMing for HH or Actinguy and it should also make it easier for any other player to take on the duties should they be required to. 

In the event that this rule change sucks, I can make changes again. However, I think it will be an improvement for a forum game. 

@Herbert Hoover may continue GMing. 

Are influence points a one-time deal? 

For example, if I'm chosen as Speaker, I get influence points.  If I continue to be speaker for 20 more years, do I continue to accrue influence points?

What if I'm down graded to House MInority Leader as my party falls in one election, but rise back up to Speaker as we reclaim control in the next election?  Do I get the points again then?

54 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Are influence points a one-time deal? 

For example, if I'm chosen as Speaker, I get influence points.  If I continue to be speaker for 20 more years, do I continue to accrue influence points?

What if I'm down graded to House MInority Leader as my party falls in one election, but rise back up to Speaker as we reclaim control in the next election?  Do I get the points again then?

You would get points each time you are reelected Speaker and when you are downgraded, and if you are upgraded. A competitive player will try to stop anyone from being Speaker that long though. The only positions that don't give points are reappointments (cabinet, amb, military, judges). You can shift cabinet spots to gain points though. Pres and VP have different reelection pts.