270soft Forum
vcczar

A More Perfect Union (3rd Playthrough)

Just now, Reagan04 said:

You are a sad man!

Haha -- I went back and checked.  My promise was "I'm open to the idea, but would it pass the House?"  I'm now even less convinced that it would pass, so we shouldn't move forward with it.

Just now, Actinguy said:

Haha -- I went back and checked.  My promise was "I'm open to the idea, but would it pass the House?"  I'm now even less convinced that it would pass, so we shouldn't move forward with it.

How many proposals are left?

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

How many proposals are left?

Big Dog Rufus abstains

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

After people vote on my Compromise Tariff proposal, it will just be @Reagan04 left to propose something.

Ok, I have all the retirements and autodraft picks written out, so it won't take me long to put them in. However, I'll be going to bed soon and then I teach in the morning, so it seems the earliest I'll get those on the spreadsheet will be sometime midday tomorrow. You have the judicial phase too and people can fill their election tabs in the meantime. 

@ActinguyI'll be voting against the Compromise Tariff

27 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Senate Majority Leader Albert Gallatin follows in President Jackson's Bipartisan footprints by proposing the Compromise Tariff. This is a bipartisan measure aimed at boosting our economy out of the doldrums and into a new era of prosperity!

To @SilentLiberty, @Herbert Hoover, @Conservative Elector 2, @WVProgressive, @Hestia11, @Kingthero for a vote.

27 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Senate Majority Leader Albert Gallatin follows in President Jackson's Bipartisan footprints by proposing the Compromise Tariff. This is a bipartisan measure aimed at boosting our economy out of the doldrums and into a new era of prosperity!

(That leaves just @Reagan04 to with an open proposal slot).

Aye.

18 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Abstain

COMPROMISE TARIFF

Passes in the Senate.

House:

Aye: @Hestia11 96, @WVProgressive 64, @Actinguy 101,  @Herbert Hoover 100 = 361
Nay:  @Reagan04 117 = 117
Abstain: @SilentLiberty 65 = 65

Has not voted: @Conservative Elector 2: 118

That's more than enough to pass it.  The Compromise Tariff becomes law!

Revenue moves up to -10, but we're still in an economic panic.

I'm going to process the points momentarily, but it will take me a little while.  I"ll give @Hestia11 until then to appoint Ambassadors.  It's been about 48 hours.  If he doesn't respond by the time I'm ready, President Jackson will just reappoint the old ambassadors to their slots.  I need to send an ambassador out to a country before the election, and 48 hours should be long enough to wait.

Albert Gallatin can't stay as Chair of the Foreign Affairs committee since he's Senate Majority Leader, so I'll promote @Kingthero Nathaniel Macon to Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee.

Senator Aaron Burr will replace Macon on the Judicial committee.

On that note, @Reagan04, Rufus King can't stay on the Foreign Affairs Committee for the same reason, so he'll need to be replaced.

Assuming that no committees are suddenly able to work out a bipartisan legislation package...

@Actinguy, who are you ambassadors and who will you send the envoy to? 

Do you believe there to be a chance that Jackson will run whether he succeeds his inaugural goals or not? (So that opposition members can start declaring their intent to run)

43 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Assuming that no committees are suddenly able to work out a bipartisan legislation package...

@Actinguy, who are you ambassadors and who will you send the envoy to? 

Do you believe there to be a chance that Jackson will run whether he succeeds his inaugural goals or not? (So that opposition members can start declaring their intent to run)

Points are up to date.

I will specify that my inaugural goal is to make France our Sworn Ally.

Sending John Jay to France to improve relations.

Pres (3) + State Jefferson (6) + Ambassador Jay (8) = 17.  Whoops!  That's a fail.  Our alliance with France ends, ending our revenue from that country.   (Interesting that there's no die roll for the ambassador thing)

No court cases to consider, so it's time for the election!

President Jackson and Vice President Bache announce their intentions to run for (re?)-election.  

Wait...actually, I guess I can't run them both, right?  If I can't, then Bache will announce he's stepping down. @vcczar @Herbert Hoover

Please fill out the election tab for President, Focus Gov, Focus Rep, and Senate nominations for any regions you're trying to become/remain Focus Gov for.

For Focus Gov -- a statesman can only serve two consecutive terms.  Ex-govs can not run again.

I've erased the previous election submissions, to make it easier to see whether someone has made a submission.

@SilentLiberty @Herbert Hoover @Conservative Elector 2 @Reagan04 @WVProgressive @Hestia11 @Conservative Elector 2

Please get your picks in by 10 PM tomorrow (Oct 22) Eastern.

Just noticed that we were in the Quaker Petition lingering effect.  " Legislation regarding slavery is double impact points for this term".  I'll double the points for everyone on the slave exportation ban.

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Just noticed that we were in the Quaker Petition lingering effect.  " Legislation regarding slavery is double impact points for this term".  I'll double the points for everyone on the slave exportation ban.

Done.

Fed-Whig-Rep Party   Score         JR-Dem Party Score
Silent Liberty 8010         WVProgressive 5225
Herbert Hoover 8215         Actinguy 8030
ConservativeElector 3295         Hestia 2585
Reagan 3920         King Thero 1805
Party Total Score   23440         Party Total Score 17645
VP from Statesmen   400         VP from Statesmen 357

4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Disregard, that was a leftover from the Adams administration.

Fed-Whig-Rep Party   Score         JR-Dem Party Score
Silent Liberty 7030         WVProgressive 4565
Herbert Hoover 6955         Actinguy 7310
ConservativeElector 2415         Hestia 2325
Reagan 3040         King Thero 1925
Party Total Score   19440         Party Total Score 16125
VP from Statesmen   400         VP from Statesmen 357

Fuck it. 

Former Vice President John Adams throws his hat in the ring and urges his cousin @WVProgressive Samuel Adams to do the same, uniting the nation in a wonderful family Presidency. 

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

On that note, @Reagan04, Rufus King can't stay on the Foreign Affairs Committee for the same reason, so he'll need to be replaced.

Hmm I must have missed that restriction in the rules.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Hmm I must have missed that restriction in the rules.

We discussed it during the Washington or Adams Presidency, and @vcczar confirmed it.  If it helps, it hit me too as I had to remove Gallatin from the same committee.