270soft Forum
vcczar

A More Perfect Union (3rd Playthrough)

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah I’d figure Hamilton would find a minor cabinet position insulting 

eminently

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah I’d figure Hamilton would find a minor cabinet position insulting 

Hamilton didn't want to be in Washington's admin so I think it's more so any of the cabinet positions, but we'll see yet going forward. 

3 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Hamilton didn't want to be in Washington's admin so I think it's more so any of the cabinet positions, but we'll see yet going forward. 

No vcc is correct.

10 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

@vcczar

Will these cabinet members get full points for appointment?

I don't think they should, but I'll leave that up to you. Probably not for PC version, but I could change my mind.  

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't think they should, but I'll leave that up to you. Probably not for PC version, but I could change my mind.  

Why wouldn’t they?

Just now, Actinguy said:

Why wouldn’t they?

Because they arguably took office illegitimately. But the two of you are the GMs, so I'll let you make the choice. As stated, I may change my mind. 

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Why wouldn’t they?

If I recall correctly, cabinet members who take office mid term don't get the points. 

6 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

If I recall correctly, cabinet members who take office mid term don't get the points. 

Yeah, that's another reason. 

Thomas Ryman in The Shadow of the Painter's Presidency 

The politics of President Peale were a mystery to most, even the Federalist Party that had accepted him as one of their own. The general consensus was that Peale, as an influential painter and intellectual from Philadelphia, was likely to be a standard bearer of the Federalist Party. His first term did very little in distinguishing his beliefs. While memoirs of the president disclosed to the public after his execution revealed his strong abolitionist beliefs and belief in a separation of powers, it was hardly evident at the time. 

The Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Selim III, extended an olive branch to Peale much as he did to King Louis XVI of France. Selim, seeking to reinforce that the Ottoman Empire was expanding it's influence across the globe once again and dipping into foreign affairs, invited both leaders to Istanbul. While these talks were ultimately not concluded, it was leaked to the American public that Peale was strongly considering entering into a formal alliance with the French Empire and the Ottoman Empire, and Selim III offered assistance in dealing with the opposition to Peale if he chose to seek reelection as a sign of goodwill. 

While scholars continue to debate the validity of President Jackson's claim of Peale desiring to become a "president for life",(A significant portion of early American scholars continue to believe the cause of the coup to be the intervention of Louisiana President Benjamin Franklin) it is irrefutable that these men were all eventually regarded as ineffective executives who were widely despised by their own people by the time of their death. In fact, Peale, Selim III and King Louis XVI would be executed by their own people. Peale executed under then General Jackson's orders on the steps of the White House, Louis XVI in the French Revolution, and Selim III after longstanding feuds with his personal Janissary guard.

President Jackson, upon appointing himself President and his patron Richard Bache Vice President, pardoned Vice President Adams in a show of mercy, as well as the remainder of the presidents inner circle of advisers. His own short list of advisers included prominent members of the opposition with wide ranges of legislative, executive, and judicial experience. Notably, the cabinet of President Jackson included almost all of those in the opposition who might seem to oppose his claim to the Presidency. Jackson had placated the Jeffersonian Republican Party while tarnishing the name of Federalists with his coup.  

Within the next two years, Jackson and his administration proved to be...

(The end! This is the last writeup of Peale. I keep trying to do him justice and this is probably the best I can do.)

10 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

@Actinguy Hamilton declines, but reccomends Samuel Osgood if the President is truly committed to able Federalist, bipartisan, control of the Navy.

President Jackson thanks Hamilton for his recommendation, and to demonstrate his true commitment to Federalist, bipartisan control of the Navy, does indeed offer Secretary of Navy to Samuel Osgood.

I feel sorry for Samuel Adams. President, then VP, and then overthrown in a coup while a VP. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I feel sorry for Samuel Adams. President, then VP, and then overthrown in a coup while a VP. 

Don’t forget, he was also shot in a bar brawl.

Dude is well into his 70s and not finding his golden years to be relaxing.

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Do we confirm the cabinet appointments of the coup? Or do we skip straight to the legislative phase now?

@Actinguy Commodore Osgood would be honored.

5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@Actinguy Commodore Osgood would be honored.

Jackson restored the constitution so I assume he’d allow the Senate to confirm to get legitimacy 

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

Jackson restored the constitution so I assume he’d allow the Senate to confirm to get legitimacy 

This is true.  Additionally, for game expediency, I currently have enough control in the senate that I only need one other player to approve each nomination — presumably, the people that accepted the positions are also approving their own nomination.

That means the only one I actually need at least one player to approve is where I nominated myself as Sec of War.

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

This is true.  Additionally, for game expediency, I currently have enough control in the senate that I only need one other player to approve each nomination — presumably, the people that accepted the positions are also approving their own nomination.

That means the only one I actually need at least one player to approve is where I nominated myself as Sec of War.

(Even tho you over threw my statesman...) aye

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

(Even tho you over threw my statesman...) aye

Haha, I never imagined it would actually work!  There was only a 17% chance.

Ok.  Cabinet is confirmed.  Aye to Herb’s proposal on banning the import of slaves.

We want our slaves to be Made In America, dang it!

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

Aye to Herb’s proposal.

Aye!

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Ok.  Cabinet is confirmed.  Aye to Herb’s proposal on banning the import of slaves.

We want our slaves to be Made In America, dang it!

This should pass it in the Senate. 

The House is a different beast but it's looking great so far.