Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

A More Perfect Union (3rd Playthrough)

Recommended Posts

I do wonder how Peale would actually be viewed by historians. By all accounts, he did fine abroad and his biggest issue was that his party failed to pass any legislation before being overthrown. 

However, it's not like any Federalist legislation was proposed and struck down. The coup came out of pretty much nowhere too. 

My personal rankings so far: 

Washington: A-. Set great precedent, but didn't win the indian war and lost reelection. 

Samuel Adams: B. Peaceful transition of power and some level of bipartisanship. 

Peale: D. Did fine abroad, but was overthrown due to domestic inactivity (despite no failures). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*me at a marching festival and coming back to see the entire government overthrown* Alright, very cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Did we do a retirement roll for Peale?

 

19 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Yes. He needed a 6, and did not get it. I had originally just killed him outright, but I rolled for him the same time as Adams after that. 

Peale rolled something lower than a 6, and so I saw no reason to retroactively change his axing 😛

Check the updated "Coup" General Event to see if anything else in there changes how you should respond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

 

Check the updated "Coup" General Event to see if anything else in there changes how you should respond. 

Itll be up to @Actinguy to proceed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Actinguy

Will you purge any of the cabinet positions? 

Will you purge any SC Justices? (Can lead to secessionist movements)

If any cabinet positions, will you put any of them on trial in the SC?

You could purge the SC, then put any cabinet members you are threatened by in the long term on trial in your new Supreme Court and have them executed.

It'd be an awful thing to do, but it's an option available to you if you wanted to get rid of any powerful statesmen in the cabinet permanently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

@Actinguy

Will you purge any of the cabinet positions? 

Will you purge any SC Justices? (Can lead to secessionist movements)

If any cabinet positions, will you put any of them on trial in the SC?

You could purge the SC, then put any cabinet members you are threatened by in the long term on trial in your new Supreme Court and have them executed.

It'd be an awful thing to do, but it's an option available to you if you wanted to get rid of any powerful statesmen in the cabinet permanently. 

Our President is a true friend to the nation, and served his country honorably, faithfully, and with distinction under President George Washington, President Sam Adams, and President Charles Pealle alike.  President Jackson's 10 years of service as one of our top Generals remains the proudest 10 years of his life.

However, when President Jackson swore his oath, he did not swear it to President Pealle, or President Adams, or even President Washington.  Nay, President Jackson swore his military oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" -- that he would bear true faith and allegiance to the same -- and that he would well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which he entered.

In keeping with that oath, when President Jackson discovered the stunning betrayal under way as President Peale secretly conspired with the evil Ottoman Empire -- a known enemy to not just the United States, but free people everywhere -- President Jackson was forced to defend our nation from its own President.

But rest assured that he took no pleasure in it -- he is only pleased that the American people saw the urgency of this situation as clearly as he did, and that the necessary removal of President Pealle did not result in an unnecessary spilling of innocent blood.  

President Jackson has no thirst for further blood.  While he has requested the resignations of all cabinet and military members, he has guaranteed full pardons for all who submit their resignations peacefully -- and may in fact invite some of them to remain with him.

The Supreme Court's loyalty to our nation is beyond question, and all Justices will be permitted to continue doing their necessary business unharassed.


(I'll appoint my new cabinet and military tonight)





 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Our President is a true friend to the nation, and served his country honorably, faithfully, and with distinction under President George Washington, President Sam Adams, and President Charles Pealle alike.  President Jackson's 10 years of service as one of our top Generals remains the proudest 10 years of his life.

However, when President Jackson swore his oath, he did not swear it to President Pealle, or President Adams, or even President Washington.  Nay, President Jackson swore his military oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" -- that he would bear true faith and allegiance to the same -- and that he would well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which he entered.

In keeping with that oath, when President Jackson discovered the stunning betrayal under way as President Peale secretly conspired with the evil Ottoman Empire -- a known enemy to not just the United States, but free people everywhere -- President Jackson was forced to defend our nation from its own President.

But rest assured that he took no pleasure in it -- he is only pleased that the American people saw the urgency of this situation as clearly as he did, and that the necessary removal of President Pealle did not result in an unnecessary spilling of innocent blood.  

President Jackson has no thirst for further blood.  While he has requested the resignations of all cabinet and military members, he has guaranteed full pardons for all who submit their resignations peacefully -- and may in fact invite some of them to remain with him.

The Supreme Court's loyalty to our nation is beyond question, and all Justices will be permitted to continue doing their necessary business unharassed.


(I'll appoint my new cabinet and military tonight)





 

This is an interesting spin on Peale, I like the way you made the Ottoman Empire the focus of why Peale was overthrown. It adds much more to the lore of our game. Was the coup as a result of Louisianan interference? Or was the coup because Peale seemed willing to emulate the authoritarian government of the Ottoman Empire? Scholars might have conflicting opinions or reach a consensus somewhere in the middle. 

It's also comforting that you chose to only get rid of cabinet members and military officers. Perhaps we won't end up being Mexico after all! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Herbert Hoover said:

This is an interesting spin on Peale,

I spin for a living -- I work in Public Relations.  It comes naturally to me.  ;c)

Rebuilding the cabinet and military from the ground up is an interesting challenge, given that Jackson will likely only get two years in office -- I don't anticipate he'll be re-elected with his terrible stats.  Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I spin for a living -- I work in Public Relations.  It comes naturally to me.  ;c)

Rebuilding the cabinet and military from the ground up is an interesting challenge, given that Jackson will likely only get two years in office -- I don't anticipate he'll be re-elected with his terrible stats.  Haha.

Should we give him inaugural goals? 

I'd say as GM he gets two goals. He really has no opportunity for actions abroad, so I guess he can just have two domestic goals. It's the only way I can this working out for him if he DOES seek reelection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Herbert Hoover said:

Should we give him inaugural goals? 

I'd say as GM he gets two goals. He really has no opportunity for actions abroad, so I guess he can just have two domestic goals. It's the only way I can this working out for him if he DOES seek reelection.

Fair enough.  I think he also gets to send an ambassador to try to improve relations right, Pealle didn't get the second opportunity to do so because he was removed from office first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Actinguy said:

Fair enough.  I think he also gets to send an ambassador to try to improve relations right, Pealle didn't get the second opportunity to do so because he was removed from office first.

Yeah, he does. 

To the Ottomans, right? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRESIDENT JACKSON'S CABINET - A TRUE MODEL FOR BIPARTISANSHIP, FRIENDSHIP, AND TRUST

Secretary of State: @Hestia11 Thomas Jefferson - Your loyalty to Virginia first was well understood and a true reflection of your noble character, sir, but now that your time as Governor has come to a close, I must beg you, sir, to put your strong work ethic and unassailable values to work in the State Department where we must immediately go to work to erase and reset President Pealle's transgressions.

Secretary of Treasury: @Hestia11 James Madison - It is a dark mark -- a sin, sir -- that our nation has not given you your proper due in recognition of your brilliant mind.  Sir, your talents were put to waste in the State Department under President Adams, but make no mistake, sir:  They shall not be put to waste in the Treasury, where the need for your leadership has reached its most urgent peak.

Attorney General: @Kingthero Luther Martin - Sir, your passion for a transparent government is precisely what is needed to assure the people that their new President has only their best interests at heart.  I aim to make you proud to serve with me, sir.

Secretary of War: @Herbert Hoover Artemas Ward - Sir, it is clear that there is a deep concern over whether this coup was politically motivated.  It is my hope that by turning control of our military forces over to the Federalists, all doubt will be removed and our nation can move forward in peace.  

Secretary of Navy: @Reagan04 Alexander Hamilton - You are hands-down the most competent Naval leader our country has to offer.  We need you now more than ever, sir.  And, again, I anticipate that it will make all the difference in the world for the people to see that I have willingly turned the power of our military forces over willingly to the Federalists in the wake of this coup - as a true sign of  friendship and bipartisanship.

Post Master General: @WVProgressive William Few.  Sir, I tell it to you true -- This cabinet is too full of damned northerners to be of my liking.  I need a true friend, a fellow Georgian, in this seemingly innocuous post to ensure that I don't follow President Pealle's footsteps to the guillotine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

PRESIDENT JACKSON'S CABINET - A TRUE MODEL FOR BIPARTISANSHIP, FRIENDSHIP, AND TRUST

Secretary of State: @Hestia11 Thomas Jefferson - Your loyalty to Virginia first was well understood and a true reflection of your noble character, sir, but now that your time as Governor has come to a close, I must beg you, sir, to put your strong work ethic and unassailable values to work in the State Department where we must immediately go to work to erase and reset President Pealle's transgressions.

Secretary of Treasury: @Hestia11 James Madison - It is a dark mark -- a sin, sir -- that our nation has not given you your proper due in recognition of your brilliant mind.  Sir, your talents were put to waste in the State Department under President Adams, but make no mistake, sir:  They shall not be put to waste in the Treasury, where the need for your leadership has reached its most urgent peak.

Attorney General: @Kingthero Luther Martin - Sir, your passion for a transparent government is precisely what is needed to assure the people that their new President has only their best interests at heart.  I aim to make you proud to serve with me, sir.

Secretary of War: @Herbert Hoover Artemas Ward - Sir, it is clear that there is a deep concern over whether this coup was politically motivated.  It is my hope that by turning control of our military forces over to the Federalists, all doubt will be removed and our nation can move forward in peace.  

Secretary of Navy: @Reagan04 Alexander Hamilton - You are hands-down the most competent Naval leader our country has to offer.  We need you now more than ever, sir.  And, again, I anticipate that it will make all the difference in the world for the people to see that I have willingly turned the power of our military forces over willingly to the Federalists in the wake of this coup - as a true sign of  friendship and bipartisanship.

Post Master General: @WVProgressive William Few.  Sir, I tell it to you true -- This cabinet is too full of damned northerners to be of my liking.  I need a true friend, a fellow Georgian, in this seemingly innocuous post to ensure that I don't follow President Pealle's footsteps to the guillotine.  

Whoops, Madison can't be Treasurer because he was already State.  Ok.  @Hestia11 How about Joseph Anderson in the Treasury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hestia11 note that if you accept State, you'll need to appoint all of the ambassadors.  I believe they need State ability and will be judged according to their Admin.


PRESIDENT JACKSON'S MILITARY OF ONLY THE BEST -- BOTH OF BODY AND MIND

Commanding General: @Actinguy Horatio Gates (Mil 6)
Focus General: @SilentLiberty: Nathanael Greene (Mil 8 )
Focus General: @Hestia11: Andrew Jackson (Mil 7)
Focus General: @Conservative Elector 2: Henry Knox (Mil 6)
Focus General: @Herbert Hoover: Arthur St Clair (Mil 6)
Focus General: @Actinguy James Clinton (Mil 5) 
Focus General: @Actinguy James M Varnum (Mil 5)

Chief Admiral:  @Actinguy Robert Smith (Mil 1)
Focus Admiral: @WVProgressive  John Barry (Mil 6)
Focus Admiral: @Conservative Elector 2: Samuel Osgood (Mil 3)
Focus Admiral: @WVProgressive: Patrick Henry (Mil 2) 
Focus Admiral: @Herbert Hoover: Benjamin Stoddert (Mil 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We accept and will begin working on the ambassadors when possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Yeah, he does. 

To the Ottomans, right? ;)

We need an Ottoman ambassador after such events I guess @vcczar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is our VP? @Actinguy

If @Reagan04 and @Herbert Hoover accept we also need a new FG for New England and the Mid-Atlantic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Who is our VP?

 

Richard Bache.  That was automatic because he was the scandalous statesman who took part in the coup.  Interestingly, he is Benjamin Franklin's son-in-law.

Both President Jackson and VP Bache were born in England -- but they emigrated to America before the Revolution, so they're still eligible to be President per the Constitution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Actinguy said:

@Hestia11 note that if you accept State, you'll need to appoint all of the ambassadors.  I believe they need State ability and will be judged according to their Admin.


PRESIDENT JACKSON'S MILITARY OF ONLY THE BEST -- BOTH OF BODY AND MIND

Commanding General: @Actinguy Horatio Gates (Mil 6)
Focus General: @SilentLiberty: Nathanael Greene (Mil 8 )
Focus General: @Hestia11: Andrew Jackson (Mil 7)
Focus General: @Conservative Elector 2: Henry Knox (Mil 6)
Focus General: @Herbert Hoover: Arthur St Clair (Mil 6)
Focus General: @Actinguy James Clinton (Mil 5) 
Focus General: @Actinguy James M Varnum (Mil 5)

Chief Admiral:  @Actinguy Robert Smith (Mil 1)
Focus Admiral: @WVProgressive  John Barry (Mil 6)
Focus Admiral: @Conservative Elector 2: Samuel Osgood (Mil 3)
Focus Admiral: @WVProgressive: Patrick Henry (Mil 2) 
Focus Admiral: @Herbert Hoover: Benjamin Stoddert (Mil 2)

We accept all positions except Ward. 

 

3 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Who is our VP? @Actinguy

If @Reagan04 and @Herbert Hoover accept we also need a new FG for New England and the Mid-Atlantic.

If Reagan accepts, I'll run a focus election again at 3PMish. The only real use of focus governors now is a launching point for the Presidency since all appointments have been made. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

We accept all positions except Ward. 

 

Ok.  Paul Brigham agrees to serve as Secretary of War.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@WVProgressive @Hestia11 @Kingthero @SilentLiberty @Herbert Hoover @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2

I've recently discovered that you can use the backspace key to choose "nothing" after having already made a selection from a drop down menu.  

With that in mind, I have significantly cleaned up the "Main" tab -- erasing all "rep" indicators, as Rep is the default assumption when you don't have a different position.  This will allow those other positions (senator, military, Speaker, Secretary, etc) to stand out easier when we have to quickly calculate something.

Please don't use the "rep" from the drop down menu anymore (FRep for Focus Rep is still fine, of course).  If your statesman has a position and then loses it, just use the backspace key to erase their position.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Also, I've erased all of Pealle's Secretaries, ambassadors, and military folks while we wait for the new ones to be accepted and, where necessary, confirmed.  Some folks will be retaining their positions per the appointments above, but this was just easier so that I can input the new positions all at once later.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Actinguy Hamilton declines, but reccomends Samuel Osgood if the President is truly committed to able Federalist, bipartisan, control of the Navy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@Actinguy Hamilton declines, but reccomends Samuel Osgood if the President is truly committed to able Federalist, bipartisan, control of the Navy.

Yeah I’d figure Hamilton would find a minor cabinet position insulting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...