Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

A More Perfect Union (3rd Playthrough)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

NO WAY

 

hahahahahaha

These rolls definitely need to be changed in the next playthrough. Bache and Jackson aren't great statesmen. Maybe a d20 instead? And maybe depending on the stats of the conspirators. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

These rolls definitely need to be changed in the next playthrough. Bache and Jackson aren't great statesmen. Maybe a d20 instead? And maybe depending on the stats of the conspirators. 

I think the rolls are fine...we’ve just been insanely lucky with low probability outcomes.  Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jackson Conspiracy

The presidency of Charles Wilson Peale was not one without it's successes. In fact, had the Jackson Conspiracy never took off, it's likely he would have been viewed as one of the most harmonious presidents in our nation's history. The artist turned representative turned President not only prevailed in the Barbary War against the pirates of Morocco, Tangiers, and several other nations, but additionally had an extensive bipartisan docket he intended to pass with the Jeffersonian-Republican gains in the midterms. Alas, he may be the best President we never had. 

In the year of 1794, the nephew of the Louisiana President Benjamin Franklin, Richard Bache, came to the highly respected General James Jackson with a proposal. Franklin's republic to the west offered to sponsor a complete overthrow of the United States government and to install Jackson as President, given that Jackson's government adopt a policy of non-intervention in North America for the next several decades. This would give the Louisiana Republic decades to build up and purchase or conquer new lands without interference with the growing United States. 

Despite all odds, the conspiracy was a success. General James Jackson successfully convinced many soldiers that Peale represented an elitest, intellectual government that would never give control back to the people. He argued that Peale must be stopped before he is able to cement himself as President for life. Presidential scholars are in near unanimous agreement that Peale had no such intentions, though it was a successful argument at the time. Jackson's army, armed by the Louisiana Republic, was able to lead President Peale out of the White House in shackles, and have him executed for conspiring to commit treason. 

General James Jackson, having installed himself as President and Richard Bache as Vice President, has promised not to significantly change the way in which the United States government operates. 

Only time will tell if President Jackson will keep to his word...

@Kingthero @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Conservative Elector 2 @Hestia11 @WVProgressive

(I am going to go ahead and catch us up on points before beginning the next legislative term.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

it's likely he would have been viewed as one of the most harmonious presidents in our nation's history. The artist turned representative turned President not only prevailed in the Barbary War against the pirates of Morocco, Tangiers, and several other nations, but additionally had an extensive bipartisan docket he intended to pass with the Jeffersonian-Republican gains in the midterms. Alas, he may be the best President we never had. 

That's a bit of historical whitewashing, he clearly had major discord within his own party, so much so that it crippled his first term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

That's a bit of historical whitewashing, he clearly had major discord within his own party, so much so that it crippled his first term.

The Traditionalist faction didn't like him, but there was ambitious plans with the midterm gains for JRs. With the way things turned out, I did give some dramatic flair as scholars have difficulty criticizing presidents who didn't finish their term (JFK for instance). You're welcome to write your own writeup though :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, @Actinguy

You have successfully overthrown the United States Government. I feel as though this would also give you the opportunity to choose a new cabinet and military officers. We should probably not touch the Supreme Court, unless we are in agreement about that. I feel as though for a successful playtest we shouldn't, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US History is starting to look a lot more like Mexico's history in this alternative universe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

US History is starting to look a lot more like Mexico's history in this alternative universe. 

Technically, Peale DID pledge to not seek a second term. 

He certainly won't be doing that ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Herbert Hoover said:

Technically, Peale DID pledge to not seek a second term. 

He certainly won't be doing that ;)

Peale technically accomplished all but one of his goals in a half term and still got the boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Can the court stop the coupe? @vcczar @Actinguy @Herbert Hoover? Or is everyone just at the mercy of it now?

Considering it's a military coup, I'm going to say no. 

However, perhaps instead of a dice roll for retiring Peale and Adams, the Supreme Court can hear their cases individually as they ste tried for treason? @vcczar

I'm reluctant to say so because I feel as though "justice" in a coup would be enacted with our without the early Supreme Court's approval. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Can the court stop the coupe? @vcczar @Actinguy @Herbert Hoover? Or is everyone just at the mercy of it now?

I clearly have to create more detailed coup instructions. I never thought it would actually occur anytime soon. The coup is supposed to represent a successful coup if it was pulled off, which means it had to have had enough support to work. The court, even if it overruled it, would not be able to enforce it since they aren't executive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Considering it's a military coup, I'm going to say no. 

However, perhaps instead of a dice roll for retiring Peale and Adams, the Supreme Court can hear their cases individually as they ste tried for treason? @vcczar

I'm reluctant to say so because I feel as though "justice" in a coup would be enacted with our without the early Supreme Court's approval. 

I think the new government would organize and then probably put them on trial. I should also have it that domestic stability would lower to potential secession level. I'm sure some regions would try to leave in this instance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can all either keep playing or wait until I can update the coup rules and aftermath. I don't know if that will be today, or tomorrow, or not considering I'm grading about 100 more midterm papers due on Monday, and I also have to grade Blackboard discussions and put together my notes to teach next week. This coup couldn't have come at a worse time for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You can all either keep playing or wait until I can update the coup rules and aftermath. I don't know if that will be today, or tomorrow, or not considering I'm grading about 100 more midterm papers due on Monday, and I also have to grade Blackboard discussions and put together my notes to teach next week. This coup couldn't have come at a worse time for me.

Couldn’t have come at a worse time for Peale either.  Hahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Also, @Actinguy

You have successfully overthrown the United States Government. I feel as though this would also give you the opportunity to choose a new cabinet and military officers. We should probably not touch the Supreme Court, unless we are in agreement about that. I feel as though for a successful playtest we shouldn't, though. 

Copy that.  I’ve been at a pumpkin patch and hayride while America was falling apart. I should be home in an hour or so to appoint a cabinet and military of the people and by the people, as soon as their loyalty pledges are secured.  Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Actinguy said:

Copy that.  I’ve been at a pumpkin patch and hayride while America was falling apart. I should be home in an hour or so to appoint a cabinet and military of the people and by the people, as soon as their loyalty pledges are secured.  Haha.

I'll be out on an anniversary dinner, so feel free to take over for the night, lest this be both the first and last anniversary we celebrate ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

I'll be out on an anniversary dinner, so feel free to take over for the night, lest this be both the first and last anniversary we celebrate ;)

Haha, I hear that.  Congrats!  Are scores up to date?  What needs done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Haha, I hear that.  Congrats!  Are scores up to date?  What needs done?

Scores are up to date outside of Reagan's senator points and your 2000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Scores are up to date outside of Reagan's senator points and your 2000. 

Did we do a retirement roll for Peale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Did we do a retirement roll for Peale?

Yes. He needed a 6, and did not get it. I had originally just killed him outright, but I rolled for him the same time as Adams after that. 

Peale rolled something lower than a 6, and so I saw no reason to retroactively change his axing 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...