270soft Forum
vcczar

A More Perfect Union (3rd Playthrough)

Just now, vcczar said:

Same here. When I lived in NYC I was routinely invited to private events with all the "famous" poets, authors, artists, etc. Those connections would have probably been greater networks in 200 years ago.

Wow, that's great. I'd like to take part in such events.

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Wow, that's great. I'd like to take part in such events.

One of my many temp jobs in NYC during the Great Recession was as a part-time personal assistant for the Chairman of the Fulbright board: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Healy_(poet) . His partner was Obama's president of the Export-Import bank at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hochberg . 

Tom invited me to those events at his 5th Ave Penthouse. I went to a few of those gatherings, but I also went to a lot of public events and met writers elsewhere in the city. Now I'm friends with several of them. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

One of my many temp jobs in NYC during the Great Recession was as a part-time personal assistant for the Chairman of the Fulbright board: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Healy_(poet) . His partner was Obama's president of the Export-Import bank at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hochberg . 

Tom invited me to those events at his 5th Ave Penthouse. I went to a few of those gatherings, but I also went to a lot of public events and met writers elsewhere in the city. Now I'm friends with several of them. 

That's awesome and it sounds like the fun of NYC life style people enjoy in various TV shows. I'd like to take part in such a sort of public engagements as well.

Also great to see you know Healy and Hochberg . I am currently taking a course on international central banks at my university so I have to do a lot of research on banks and their work. In November I'll hold a short presentation on the Federal Reserve, which is great because I can finally use my interest about the US in a university course (I chose the topic on purpose and learned yesterday I was chosen to speak about the Fed. Other topics would have been the Bank of England, IMF, the German Federal Bank and various others).

15 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

That's awesome and it sounds like the fun of NYC life style people enjoy in various TV shows. I'd like to take part in such a sort of public engagements as well.

Also great to see you know Healy and Hochberg . I am currently taking a course on international central banks at my university so I have to do a lot of research on banks and their work. In November I'll hold a short presentation on the Federal Reserve, which is great because I can finally use my interest about the US in a university course (I chose the topic on purpose and learned yesterday I was chosen to speak about the Fed. Other topics would have been the Bank of England, IMF, the German Federal Bank and various others).

I went to Grad School in DC.  First class, we all go around and introduce each other.   I’m first, so I say my name and told them I worked as a spokesman for the US Department of Health and Human Services (my job at the time).

Guy to my right says his name, and that he works for the World Bank.  Interesting!

Guy to his right is from Ghana...and adds that he is hear because the World Bank is destroying his country and he wants to learn how to stop it.

That was a very unique class.

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

I went to Grad School in DC.  First class, we all go around and introduce each other.   I’m first, so I say my name and told them I worked as a spokesman for the US Department of Health and Human Services (my job at the time).

Guy to my right says his name, and that he works for the World Bank.  Interesting!

Guy to his right is from Ghana...and adds that he is hear because the World Bank is destroying his country and he wants to learn how to stop it.

Sounds interesting. I really hope to understand better how banks operate and how government wants to influence them after completing the course. My topic for my thesis would be the comparison between the Fed and East Asian central banks (Japan, China and at least South Korea) (if my professor accepts it).

24 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

7 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Awesome! 

Yeah my NYC life could have made for a TV show or movie at times. Although, strangely, my life in San Marcos TX was more interestingly bizarre to the point of seeming like fiction.  My life has been rather mundane since early 2013. If I write a memoir about my life, the bulk of it would probably be 2006-2013. Those last two years in San Marcos and 5 years in NYC would narrate well together. I felt like I lived a thousand lifetimes in those seven years. 

I know we’re waiting on @WVProgressive to indicate whether Sam Adams will accept the Vice Presidency...

But in the meantime, how do we feel about that possibility?  I’m not sure a sitting President would really accept becoming Vice President instead.

Im fine with Adams having the option since we offered it to Washington too...but, moving forward, I’d propose that maybe Presidents shouldn’t be able to serve as VPs after Adams.

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I know we’re waiting on @WVProgressive to indicate whether Sam Adams will accept the Vice Presidency...

But in the meantime, how do we feel about that possibility?  I’m not sure a sitting President would really accept becoming Vice President instead.

Im fine with Adams having the option since we offered it to Washington too...but, moving forward, I’d propose that maybe Presidents shouldn’t be able to serve as VPs after Adams.

Under the original rules they’d have that option. Pass the 12th amendment to avoid it. 

7 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Action goes to @WVProgressive to accept or decline the Vice Presidency. 

Sam Adams will accept the office of the Vice-Presidency.

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

Sam Adams will accept the office of the Vice-Presidency.

Great. I'll calculate gubernatorial now.

James Iredell survives retirement! 

New England: Artemis Ward 11 (runner up was Arthur Fenner at 10)

Mid-Atlantic: Alexander Hamilton 16 (runner to George Clinton at 15. Two natural d6s!) @Reagan04

Upper South: Isaac Shelby 11 @Kingthero (Runner up John Marshall at 10!) 

Deep South: Charles Pinckney 12 @Kingthero(runner up William Moultrie at 9) 

I appoint John Randolph and Stevens Thomson Mason to the Senate for Virginia.

15 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

I appoint John Randolph and Stevens Thomson Mason to the Senate for Virginia.

Great! I'm still working on getting my computer back tonight. I had a few drinks and played some old Mario Party games two nights ago and it's been there since. I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly then, or @Actinguy can do so if he's free.

11 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Great! I'm still working on getting my computer back tonight. I had a few drinks and played some old Mario Party games two nights ago and it's been there since. I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly then, or @Actinguy can do so if he's free.

Ha, ok. I should be able to update it tonight.  Need me to run the house election or are you able to do that one?

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Ha, ok. I should be able to update it tonight.  Need me to run the house election or are you able to do that one?

If you'd like to I'd appreciate it but there's no pressure to do so! I appreciate it - I fully intend to take my laptop with me on vacation and actually somewhat roleplay out this next term when possible.

@Herbert Hoover making my way through making all the changes -- but I think you've got an invalid choice for RI Senator.  Ray Green only has a vote power of one -- he can't unseat Senator Varnum (2).  Did you have someone else you want to give the job to, or are you leaving Varnum in place?

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

@Herbert Hoover making my way through making all the changes -- but I think you've got an invalid choice for RI Senator.  Ray Green only has a vote power of one -- he can't unseat Senator Varnum (2).  Did you have someone else you want to give the job to, or are you leaving Varnum in place?

I believe that Ray Green has a voting power of 2. 

Screenshot_8.png

4 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

I believe that Ray Green has a voting power of 2. 

Screenshot_8.png

Oh, ok.  You wrote 1 on the voting sheet. ;c)  I'll make the change.

Assuming @Reagan04 isn't doing us any favors and replacing Federalist Senators with Democrat-Republicans...Federalists retake the Senate, 16-12.  

Rufus King moves up to Senate Majority Leader, Joseph B Varnum moves down to Minority Leader.  As Federalists hold more than 55% of the Senate, bills only need the support of Majority Leader King + one other player to pass the Senate.

The Election of 1796

The election of 1976 followed four years of Jeffersonian Republican rule in the United States. President Adams proved to be an effective president, passing several pieces of legislation through the split Congress during the first half of his presidency and even more during the latter half when his party made gains in the midterm election. However, historians would note that despite his accomplishments, he still broke many promises to the American people. 

Samuel Adams, in 1972, had promised the American people two things: That he would bring the economy out of it's stagnation with the establishment of several much needed economic reforms, and that he would come down hard on the Barbary Pirates and end their piracy of American vessels. While he was somewhat successful in the first endeavor, he was unable to work with Congress to establish a National Mint and he failed to end the war overseas. 

When he declared his intention to seek a second term, it surprised none. After all, Samuel Adams is a man who gets things done and leads the American people. Thomas Jefferson was named his "running mate" (the term coined to describe the intended VP pick of each party) and the Jeffersonian Republican Party seemed to have a strong bid for reelection despite some failures during his time in office. 

The Federalists, seeing an opportunity in Adams' weakness, fielded four major candidates. The two of most note being Vice President James Iredell, who represented the more moderate to conservative faction of the party, and Represetative Peale, an intellectual representing the Northeastern elite and the very liberal faction of the party. John Rutledge and Fisher Ames received token votes in the South and Northeast as well, but generally were viewed as far less likely to win the Presidency. 

When the ballots are casted and all votes accounted for, Representative Peale is declared the winner with 75 Electoral Votes to President Adams 64. The President had become the Vice President, and with big gains in the House and the Senate, the Federalists have a strong mandate to enact Federalist policy at the hands of the soldier, artist, inventor, scientist, and finally representative Charles Wilson Peale. 

Federalists continue to grow in the House, but are still short of control.  House will need everyone to vote.  Federalists lead 54%-46%.

Here is the plan of action. 

1. @Reagan04 needs to choose his Senate picks. 

2. Everyone has until tomorrow at noon to put in Focus Senator and Representative nominations. 

3. For the first time ever, @Conservative Elector 2 will be able to choose the Federalist Party Leader when the next vacancy occurs, as he has more voting power. If the Federalists are to lose control of the House, he will be able to choose a new Speaker. Likewise, if something happens to Majority Leader Rufus King, he can choose the replacement. 

4. @Reagan04 and @Actinguy will need to fill out the empty committee spots. 

The rest of the list is stuff I'll do once the first four are done. 

5. Act on any scripted events. 

6. Act on any general events. 

7. @SilentLiberty will need to appoint his cabinet picks. Only @Reagan04 will need to approve them, assuming that he approves his own picks with the Senate Majority Leader King. 

8. @SilentLiberty will need to appoint any vacant military spots (There are 4!)

At this point, we can move into the legislative phase!